What Daniel Snyder has learned: A brief history

A year ago this week, on the eve of the Redskins' 2009 training camp, the AP published a story based on an interview with Daniel Snyder. Three times in the story, Snyder talked about what he had learned through his first decade of NFL ownership. Here's one of the quotes:

"It's been a learning experience for me, and it's been great," he said. "I started off awfully young. I feel like I'm finally coming into my own."

That story was published, of course, just before one of the worst seasons in Redskins history, during which Snyder was criticized as never before. Now we're on the eve of another training camp, and many of the introductory stories will surely focus yet again on what Snyder has learned: hiring a general manager and a strong coach, backing away from personnel decisions, cutting his friendly ties with players, and so on. For example, from Fox Sports this summer:

"I learned - and I think this has to do with Joe Gibbs - the most important thing for me personally is to have a head coach who is extremely competent," Snyder said. "That's what I've got with Mike. It creates an opportunity for me to be extremely hands off and not have to worry."

And some of Snyder's friends, like Joe Theismann, have already suggested that the owner's legacy begins now.

"Have any of us entered a new field or a new era of our life and said that I have it all figured out, I know exactly how it's supposed to work, I've got the formula?" Theismann asked last month on SIRIUS NFL Radio. "No. And that's what Dan has done. Dan has been able to now go through the 10 years, to understand exactly what he needs to as an owner and what he needs to have to have his football team have a chance to be successful."

But -- without being a total crank -- it seems worth pointing out that this year isn't the first time people will talk about what Snyder has learned, and last year wasn't, either. A brief history:

May, 1999: Snyder purchases the Redskins and attends owners meetings.

"I'm learning," he said.

September, 2000: Snyder appears at Northwestern with Mark Cuban.

"Some of the criticism is warranted," Snyder said. "I've made mistakes, but I'm learning."

June, 2001: Snyder tells reporters that he's learning.

"In the past season," Snyder told Adam Schefter, "I've learned humility."

"There has been some tremendous humility," Snyder told Knight-Ridder. "I'm learning how to be more and more humble every day. It comes with the turf. It comes with learning. I'm looking forward to getting things going in the right direction....You live and learn every day. You try to move on and make things better and better. But if you look at my experience with Marty Schottenheimer, it's just like I've done with every business. You let your best people do their stuff."

October, 2001: Snyder speaks at the National Press Club:

"One of the things I want to talk about and mention is I think my skill sets that I have learned," Snyder said. "I always pride myself -- some of my clients used to make jokes and say, 'This guy just learns and sponges all the information, keeps learning and learning and learning.' I will learn over the time in football how to get things right, and I think you'll find that over the many, many years and over the decades we are going to have some great, great results."

January, 2002: Redskins hire Steve Spurrier.

"I think too much power, in football, in hindsight -- having learned this now -- can be a difficult thing, a difficult challenge," Snyder said. "The amount of work is just too much for one person to do everything. I don't think it's healthy for one person to do everything. I think the devotion of time from the head coach should be toward coaching the team, and that alone is an incredible responsibility.

April, 2002: Redskins prepare for NFL draft.

"I'm a new owner in the NFL....It's almost three years that I've owned the club, and I'm learning," Snyder said. "Part of learning is figuring out which areas I can help in with my involvement. One thing I think I'm helpful on is, we're working hard to develop more and more relationships with the agents, the negotiating side of getting these free agents and getting players signed up. We don't want [rookies] holding out after the draft."

March, 2003: Redskins sign non-flashy free agents:

"I'm learning, OK?" Snyder said. "The first time I tried to swing for the fences and do it quickly. Now we're going to build it."

July, 2003: Redskins begin preseason.

"I've always been involved from the day I bought the team. But I've learned," Snyder said, via The Post, which continued:

He says he's learned that spending big doesn't mean big success, that hiring superstars doesn't always mean victories, and with training camp kicking off today, Snyder is at a crossroads -- his latest, detractors might add....

"In [2000], when he went and got Deion and Bruce and Jeff George, Dan was a fan with a lot of money," Theismann said. "He wanted every big-name free agent he could get. The way he's grown is that he now knows what it takes to be a winner in the National Football League. It isn't just big-name players."

Preseason, 2004: Snyder talks to HBO's Inside the NFL.

"Joe [Gibbs] has final say on everything. Period," Snyder said. "I've taken my lumps. I've come a long way. I think I've got incredible patience and understand things now that I didn't have when I first came into the league. I've learned a whole bunch."

September, 2005: Snyder does a chat with Extreme Skins.

"I've learned that a great deal of patience is required," Snyder wrote. "I've learned that you're going to make some mistakes, but to make fewer and fewer while making the right decisions. I've learned a great deal from Joe Gibbs."

January, 2008: Joe Gibbs retires.

"Joe's done a great job of stabilizing a situation that became unstable before, quite frankly, and really took hold," Snyder said. "He's taught me a lot. I've learned a tremendous amount from him and just enjoyed it."

February, 2008: Snyder announces the hiring of Jim Zorn.

"I said we'd be thorough and we'd conduct a full process and we did," Snyder said. "We did just what we said we'd do. What we were looking for was a coach with characteristics. And our characteristics were starting with character, a character person. Joe [Gibbs] has such character and I've learned so much not only about him, but about what I and the Redskins want in the future."

November, 2008: Snyder talks to Ed Werder:

"I've made plenty of mistakes, but I've learned from my mistakes as a good entrepreneur, a good CEO, would do," Snyder said. "I've matured. I wasn't patient enough in certain areas early on. I didn't understand the game the way I do now. I didn't understand the agents, the contractual relationship with the salary cap, the importance of the age of players. Now, it's easy for me."

March, 2009: Redskins sign Albert Haynesworth.

"We've learned our lesson," Snyder said. "This is not the old ways at all. This is what I should have done a long time ago. He's a very young man. I've learned that you don't do a seven-year contract with a player that's 33. You do it when he's 27. That's the big difference."

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 21, 2010; 11:35 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Why Chris Cooley's not at Hell Week
Next: Haynesworth is D.C.'s top-earning athlete

Comments

He wasnt talking about himself, he was taking a shot at Marty.......

Posted by: cnewso01 | July 21, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

This is the good stuff...thanks for taking us on a trip down memory lane. I can't get enough of these stories, and it drives me crazy that everyone just gives him a clean slate after ten years of incredibly bad management. The next time Theismann says Haynesworth is "classless" and "offers nothing as a person, as a player or as a teammate," I'd like someone to remind him that Albert has only been in the league 8 years, and that he's got 2 more years of learning before he can accurately be judged.

Posted by: dclance | July 21, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

March, 2009: Redskins sign Albert Haynesworth.

Every time I read that I cringe.... NO BAD DANNY! You don't do 7 year deals with a 27 year old DT.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 21, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Well JoeyT. is consistent; he continues to be a Danny jock, uh, I mean Supporter unlike Riggo who flipflopped from 'Mr. Snyder to Dark Heart'

And NO, I don't believe the Danny for a second. He has RELUCTANTLY changed...and in 3 years time if there is not at least an NFC East title or better, he'll change again.

I hope he proves me wrong

Posted by: kahlua87 | July 21, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Scumbag money grubbing owner will never learn, and the Redskins will be cursed as long as this jerk owns the team.

Posted by: password11 | July 21, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Kind of scary, isn't it? I'd like to know what, exactly, he has learned over the years.

Since Snyder doesn't speak to the press that often, I've never seen such a compilation of his quotes before. After reading this sample, I'd have to say that it's no wonder the guy usually hides behind press releases. Frankly, he just doesn't sound very intelligent.

Posted by: TAS172226 | July 21, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

LIFE in itself is a learning process that each of us has to go through. Anyone who criticise Dan Snyder for making mistakes and learning to become a great owner of his own team, I say take a look in the mirror first and know that you've made your own mistakes in Life and profession, but you learn from your mistakes. Some of us are quick learners and others needs more time. I'm not advocating nor giving excuses for Dan, but in order to criticise someone for their mistakes, take a long look at yourself first. HTTR!!

Posted by: maspika | July 21, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

He has learned than fans will keep spending their money on his product no matter how crappy it is.

Posted by: rdpinva | July 21, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: maspika | July 21, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

maspika, one has NOTHING to do with the other. Unless you are using the 'Judge lest ye be judge' biblical reference, EVERYONE is judged, period.

And besides, a question was asked, was it not?

The Danny has mistreated his fanbase, his paying customer. He needs to make amends and just staying in the background without reaching out to the fans is not going to cut it.

Posted by: kahlua87 | July 21, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Well I can tell everyone this much, Dan Steinburg won't be welcome around Snyder's inner circle anytime soon.

I bet Snyder lost his mind reading this as much as fans have experiencing it.

SELL TO TED!

Posted by: Eman8 | July 21, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Dan, can't believe you censored my posy ...why because i called dannyboy a d-bag??? Now thr wapo is drinking the coolaid!

Posted by: klangley69 | July 21, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

With all the "learning" that Danny Boy has had over the years... we should submit his name to Mensa!

Posted by: mb15 | July 21, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Too bad he didn't learn you can't buy a championship about 10 years ago.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | July 21, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

What a gold mine of quotes...lol, thanks for the laugh!

Posted by: tgerbracht | July 21, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

What a gold mine of quotes...lol, thanks for the laugh!

Posted by: tgerbracht | July 21, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Who the hell thinks he has learned anything. He said in this interview that he was learning and that it has been great.

Oh, so losing for your ten year ownership has been great. For who? It actually has sucked for his whole ownership period.

Two playoff appearances and one playoff win, when Brunell threw for less than 100 yards. Wow, it was great.

Posted by: sruppert | July 21, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Masterful post, Steinberg. Bravo!

This is the reason why I continue to adhere to Standard Policy 1.02(h): I'll Believe It When I See It.

A leopard can't change its spots. A tiger doesn't change its stripes. Can't teach an old dog new tricks. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Dayum, what the heck was my point again?!

How in the world does Joey T dislodge his nose from Snyder's nether regions long enough to talk on the radio?! Is Theismann so unemployable by the networks now that his only remaining option is to hitch his star to Snyder?

Posted by: rooster75 | July 21, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

"Rehabilitated? Well, now let me see. You know, I don't have any idea what that means."

Posted by: Scoonie97 | July 21, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

"I'd like someone to remind him that Albert has only been in the league 8 years, and that he's got 2 more years of learning before he can accurately be judged."
dclance
-----
Almost spit out my drink laughing!
-----
Now we see why Hess is the way he is.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | July 21, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Good job archiving all the BS that has come from this little creep over the years. As for Theismann, what a pathetic brown noser he has become.

Posted by: dbunkr | July 21, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

wow, what a quick learner.

I'll believe it when I see a couple of seasons go by without any meddling (which is doubtful, of course).

We've seen this hands-off approach before with Schotty. Lasted almost 1 year.

Posted by: terp4303 | July 21, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

wow, what a quick learner.

We've seen this hands-off approach before with Schotty. Lasted almost 1 year.

Posted by: terp4303 | July 21, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

THIS is the all-time best sports bog post ever. Thanks Dan!

Posted by: Hobbes3 | July 21, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

"the most important thing... is to have a head coach who is extremely competent," Snyder said. "That's what I've got with Mike. It creates an opportunity for me to be extremely hands off and not have to worry."

I don't believe a word of this, but the point is that the owner should be hands-off regardless. The NFL isn't fantasy football. Snyder's job as owner is to sign paychecks and collect revenue, and leave football to the GM, coaches, and players. The Redskins will never become great until he learns this.

And yes, Theismann is Snyder's puppy dog (I'll withhold the B-word out of deference to his Super Bowl ring).

Posted by: fuzzbass | July 21, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Nothing has been learned - his ego is way too big not to foul this team up in someway. Come on, he ruined Joe Gibbs - how is Shanny going to do any better than the 50 other head coaches and old players from the past?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | July 21, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Excellent use of Lexis Nexis and I say that without sarcasm. Funny post.

Posted by: nativedc | July 21, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Dave McKenna would be proud of you, Dan. Snyder is just a pompous punk-ass punk who got lucky when he made his millions. He really doesn't have much skill except in taking advantage of people for his own personal gains. He cares about nothing but himself. And before you throw his charity work (or hitch his wife to that), he does that ONLY for a tax deduction.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | July 21, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

10 years too bleeping late. and how do we know its fixed we where told they would go young use the draft that was thrown out the window with trading away picks for old vets

Posted by: cjdwolfpack | July 21, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

"I've learned that you don't do a seven-year contract with a player that's 33."
He had to learn that?

Posted by: fdallas | July 21, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Dan Steinberg:

Thanks for the wonderful "Post" about Dan Snyder and the blow by blow historic account from 1999 to 2010. Yes, the Snyder decade+ does seem to stick in our collective gut. As a fan since the Norm years at QB in the early 1960s, I can say that IF HE HAS LEARNED then we all can and WILL move forward I'm sure... But, if this is just another of the many bumps and turns in this "long and winding road" than we continue on with "The Danny's" Six Flags running joke.

Bob Schnebly
www.bobschnebly.com

Posted by: StarLyrara | July 21, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

OMG! This was GREAT Steinberg! I love the setup--the way you lulled us in before the jump! LOL!

Next press release after Shanahan/Allen are gone:

$nyder: "I learned so much from Mike and Bruce. I'm a much better owner now."

I also love how he contradicted himself a number of times (e.g., on the head coach having the final say).

Posted by: nojunk4me | July 21, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Mr.Allen and Mr.Shanahan will turn this team around and when they do you all will love this team again! HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | July 21, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for staying on top of this -- a lot of people want to wave the fairy wand this year because of Shanallen and pretend Dan Snyder hasn't been a one man wrecking team for this franchise.

Posted by: Pepper5 | July 21, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Yep. They've been stock-piling draft picks. They're going to make it easy to use the Metro to get to FedUp Field. There's a real youth movement going on, just like Mr. Leonsis would do. They're going to have the soldier's wife whose "I love my husband in Afghanistan" sign they took as a special guest in the owner's box, and they're going to give free tickets to the grandma they sued. Fat Albert is going to set up a fund for crippled people (including the guy he creamed with his car). They're also going to lower the prices for the yellow toilet bowl ring around the middle of the stadium, kick out Johnny Rockets and bring in Ben's Chili Bowl. I understand Dan is even going to personally plant saplings where he cut down the trees blocking his view of the Potomac.

Posted by: jburnetti | July 21, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

By now he should have learned he has NO clue how to Own/Manage a Profesional Sports team

Isn't it obvious,

He is good at making money with it,

but he is a loser when it comes to the competion aspect

Posted by: nobody2 | July 21, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Dan said he learned that a competent head coach is a necessity. Wow, it took years to learn that. And since he's talking about Spurrier, Marty and Zorn, guess what incompetent bozo hired them? And the 99 yr old bingo caller + Vinny. Dumb Dan, 1/2 of Dumb (Vinny for his dumb personnel moves) and Dan (cause he hired everyone).

Dan said: "I've learned that you don't do a seven-year contract with a player that's 33. You do it when he's 27. That's the big difference."

No dummy, you sign a 23 year old non-QB to a 7 yr deal or maybe a 30 yr old QB. But dummy will sign Tom Brady or Peyton Manning to a 8 yr deal when they're 40.

Posted by: kedavis | July 22, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Reading between the lines: "Unfortunately, I hired Jim Zorn, who turned out to be incompetent, so I needed to continue my meddling w/ the team."

Posted by: randysbailin | July 22, 2010 12:24 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins will suck as long as Snyder is their owner. But you will still have to pay $12 for a three day old hamburger they claim is freshly flame-grilled.

Posted by: PeterODay | July 22, 2010 4:11 AM | Report abuse

In the old days at RFK you could bring i whatever you wanted; food or drink. Why do we allow ourselves to be held hostage by the owners greed?

Posted by: PeterODay | July 22, 2010 4:17 AM | Report abuse

In the old days at RFK you could bring in whatever you wanted; food or drink. Why do we allow ourselves to be held hostage by the owner's greed?

Posted by: PeterODay | July 22, 2010 4:19 AM | Report abuse

it is truly a learning process...something no one on this blog has ever experienced to this degree (and most likely never will)...to have an opinion on something that 9 x's out of 10 you will never experience is really just your imagination trying to realize a situation. "in his shoes" is truly an overwhelming situation given the degree of how important the skins are to this area...he is trying...and he is constantly under the gun by media, fans and so called "football" experts. Believe this...it only looks easy...

Posted by: ronniecope106 | July 22, 2010 6:30 AM | Report abuse

DAN,

Reading some history of Snyder`s learning curve..got boring after the second quote.
As fans, we would like to hear about what is going on now..we ALL LIVED WITH DANNY AND HIS LEARNING PROCESS OVER THE LAST, AND VERY LONG, 10 YEARS!

Ya gotta wonder how anyone who made a billion plus dollars...took so long to "learn" about how to run an NFL team?

The way to do it is no secret..you hire guys like Mike and Bruce..and you get out of the way. Joe Gibbs II..was not good..as Joe took a couple of years to just figure out all the new things/rules in the modern NFL. Danny fired Marty..who knows why..but he definately interfered with a good coach doing what needed to be done to win.

IN EDUCATIONAL PARLANCE DAN IS "A SLOW LEARNER"

Posted by: blazerguy234 | July 22, 2010 7:17 AM | Report abuse

He didn't know squat, until he was humiliated enough to seek the counsel of the one person he should have at the very beginning: Bobby Beathard, the man who built the dynasty. BB told him to hire PROFESSIONALS, make them accountable, then move away and let them do their jobs. And by all accounts, Snyder has taken that advice to heart.

Note to Steinberg: Re-run some of Beathard's quotes from THAT article.

Posted by: shanks1 | July 22, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

As I've always said, don't believe anything has changed until you see the proof. This guy has always said the same things but nothing has ever changed. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me ___ times(fill in the blank)I must be a Redskins fan!

No longer drinking the koolaid.

Posted by: RealConservative | July 22, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Much to my delight as a life-long Eagles fan, Danny Boy is, and will always be, an insufferable jackass. The Redskins will never have any real success as long as he is the owner. Go EAGLES!!

Posted by: jts53 | July 22, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder has learned nothing at all, even with the hiring of Shan-allen. This will become evident the first time the Skins struggle (and they will struggle at some point because they have almost no talent) Snyder will hire a "consultant", probably John Elway, to "provide another set of eyes".

Dan Snyder simply doesn't get it, and he never will. He's the Anti-Ted, and his teams results (dreadful) are nothing more than a reflection on him.

Posted by: kicksavedave | July 22, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Confirm or be cast out!

Dan, you made a lot of money and really that's what the NFL is all about.

Suckers believe!

The game changed when they put caps on teams.

Do you believe the Yankees would have one all thoes World Series if they had a cap?
That's called an Advantage when you buy the best in the League.

Nope! If Dan had Know cap he would have one by now with his formula. Spend Baby Spend.

Oh Eagles dude,Skins have WON SUPERBOWLS not attend every decade.Philly will never win! Why because your Owners and Fans are IDOITS!

Posted by: shamken | July 22, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

A very good post. Depressing, but very good.

The preceding quote is smoking-gun proof that Mr. Snyder does not yet get it. What, exactly, has Daniel Snyder ever done that would qualify him to be hands-on with an NFL franchise??

I hope the new regime proves me wrong. We'll see.

Posted by: prestoj | July 22, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

So he gives them an iterview every once in awhile and they drag him through the mud for it. he stops giving them interviews so they go and get phrases from statements in speeches other places and drag him through the mud for it and then they wonder why he doesn't give them interviews more often. What a mystery, huh.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | July 22, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Make the world a better place and punch little Danny boy in the FACE! He has ruined the franchise. PLEASE sell the team.HAIL!

Posted by: Rlj14 | July 22, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

For a good local example of ownership who learns, look up the road to Steve Bisciotti.

Posted by: JimZipCode | July 22, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Little Danny hasn't learned anything in 10 years. Why? Because he's so arrogant that he believes he knows it all. So he learns NOTHING. He truly believes that none of the Skins failures are his fault. Look at those quotes about what a wise CEO he is, and all his business success -- the guy truly doesn't grasp that he got extraordinarily lucky ONE TIME and got very rich, and every venture since then has been a total disaster. He's applied that same management style to Six Flags and ran it straight into the ground.

Don't expect a better, wiser owner.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | July 22, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

They say those that don't learn from history are doomed to reapeat it. Uh, he's done that ten fold and still nothing to show for it.

He won't change, he doesn't have it in him.

He also won't be getting ANY of my money.

Posted by: jwash4472 | July 22, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

2 winning seasons since 1999, and one of his recent quotes was "..it's been a rough couple of years..". A COUPLE of years?????
I wonder what he's learned? Certainly not how to build a winning team

Posted by: tigger0705 | July 22, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

This team is atill a joke. Danny hasn't learned anything. Allen/Shanahan and are the new Cerrato/Zorn. Danny is still making all the decisions. Trading their 2nd and 3rd round picks for a washed up superstar QB. I'm rooting for Campbell in Oakland.

Posted by: RalphZero | July 22, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Even Pavlov's dogs learned faster than Snyder, quick, somebody ring the bell!

Posted by: 44fx2901 | July 22, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

You will know that Danny Napoleon Snyder has changed when he is the last person to touch a Super Bowl trophy that the Redskins AND when the following season he continues to be invisible allowing the coach to coach his team.

Right now he is merely saying what we want to hear. And from the words he's uttering, "he's still learning".

Posted by: laserwizard | July 22, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

OPEN YOUR EYES DANNYBOY only hired the right bunch this time because he was HUMILIATED on national tv everyother week.
NOT becuase he learned anything, he's just doesn't want to be the laughing stock of the NFL. He got beatup good last year, he wants someone else to be responsible, he can't handle the heat.....but

DANNYBOY WILL RULE AGAIN!! ...he'll give them 2 years then he'll decide he knows better.
Now you're learning

Posted by: dannyboyrules | July 22, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Now you're learning

Posted by: dannyboyrules | July 22, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

NOT because he learned anything, he's just doesn't want to be the laughing stock of the NFL. He got beatup good last year, he wants someone else to be responsible, he can't handle the heat.....but

Now you're learning

Posted by: dannyboyrules | July 22, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

This piece really puts into perspective how utterly pompous, clueless, and delusional Snyder is.

In three years, Shanny will be gone too, either because he didn't win enough or because he had his fill of working for Snyder. And we'll get to do all of this AGAIN, for the umpteenth time.

I watched the awesome NFL Channel special (America's Game) on the 14-2 1991 season and it almost brought tears to my eyes. The pride those guys had, the way they flew to the ball, the way they beat the crap out of their opponents. They played that way for Gibbs, for sure, but also for Jack Kent Cooke, who they respected immensely. You just don't see that with Snyder teams because he engenders no such love from his players.

Posted by: johnwp | July 22, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

What Snyder has learned is how to wring every last dollar out of a long-faded Redskins legacy, tarnishing it ever more year after year. He is all about making money, not making the Redskins great. The Redskins will never be a consistently high quality team until he sells – he is a marketer, not a manager.

I am not her biggest fan, but Sally Jenkins’s had the perfect line in her column when the Haynesworthless mess was at a boil: “Everyone is piling on Haynesworth, but they're vilifying him simply for mirroring the culture in which he was hired.” That is Dan Snyder’s culture – take the money and run.

Posted by: buster5 | July 22, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

How is it that we can post a comment about this waste of time story and not about the McNabb Hell week story???

Anyone who thinks McNabb isn't a GREAT pick up for this team only needs to read that story. That's not just talk about leadership, McNabb IS leadership. Poor Jason Campbell. There's a saying Jason needs to learn... "your actions speak so loud I can't hear what you are saying..."

And for those who tried to say I was a racist for saying that JC SUCKED (for years!) as an NFL Q.B. (and still does) I would like to point out that I jumped for joy when we dumped JC and got McNabb. Last I checked they are both black and it has nothing to do with it. Remember old Doug Williams?? The "old" guy? Washed up? McNabb is going to kill under Mike Shan-the-Man's system the same way Doug did under Gibbs. Chip on his shoulder and all.

NFL is a game of inches and we gained whole yards this offseason with McNabb, the O-line, the Coaches and oh yeah, the Owner and business management in there place. No, not going to the super bowl this year... not this year but you better not totally count them out either. That's not just "hope" this year, it's reality.

GO SKINS!!! OFFSEASON CHAMPS FOREVER!!!!

Posted by: MikeOFW | July 22, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Scoonie97 | July 21, 2010 1:59 PM
===================================

Awesome... a Shawshank quote!

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | July 23, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

www.thesportsresume.com/video
Here, you will see how Snyder became the owner of the REDSKINS and what exactly goes through his football mind........

Posted by: blinkyoureye1 | July 24, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

If he had said, "You know what, I really screwed up. I really sucked. This time, I'm definitely hands off. I'm not gonna touch a thing.", then I might halfway believe him.

Big egos can't hide themselves very well behind their words.

Posted by: Playitagainsam | July 25, 2010 2:36 AM | Report abuse

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Big egos can't hide themselves very well behind their words.

Posted by: Playitagainsam | July 25, 2010 2:38 AM | Report abuse

This "I'm learning" theme is just false humility. DS does not learn, he just repeats. Losses, and quotes. Repetition, to the max. Great article. I hope Mike Shanahan can win despite Snyder's epic ego. I miss the Cooke family....no need for a decade's worth of propaganda with them. Snyder is not able to learn, ego 2 large. Bummer.

Posted by: vik805 | July 26, 2010 12:59 AM | Report abuse