Why Chris Cooley's not at Hell Week

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

Donovan McNabb and many of his receivers are in Arizona conducting hell week. Hell, even Colt Brennan's there. Chris Cooley is not. Cooley's explanation is simple.

"I've been working out -- I worked out with the team all offseason," he told the Mike Wise Show on Tuesday. "You need a couple weeks. I needed three or four weeks to just relax. I'm still working out, I'm doing my own stuff, but it's a long year. We play football all year. I think there's maybe three months out of the year that I'm not doing something with the team at Redskins Park, so it's nice to have a month to relax a little before we get going....Personally, I'm just happy to have a month to kind of chill out before we go to camp."

Indeed, this is why I'm spending this week on my back porch drinking iced coffee and reading old Thomas Boswell chats. You can't go hard all the time. So instead of sweating in Arizona, Cooley is up in the mountains of Wyoming, which I guess is the tight end version of sitting on one's back porch drinking iced coffee and reading Thomas Boswell chats.

Cooley said McNabb merely texted receivers and asked if they wanted to work out with him, and that the quarterback was fine with Cooley's decision not to attend. In other words, there's no particular need to turn Cooley's absence from Hell Week into Haynesworth Part XLVII. Speaking of which....

"Everyone was so worried about Albert," Cooley said, to the inevitable Haynesworth question. "First of all, he's doing what he wants to do, or what he thinks he needs to do. I just though the guy's got to come back in unbelievable shape, because if he comes back out of shape, looks bad, I mean, he's just gonna get murdered. But I felt like if he came back in shape, ready to play football, he'll be there two days and everyone will forget what happened....

"I'll bet that he'll show up and just start working. I don't know if he needs to sit down with guys or not, but if he shows up in shape all he's got to say is look, I was doing what was best for me, I'm here, I'm ready to play. That was a weird situation. The whole thing was a little bit strange, but hopefully he wants to play with us and he's ready to play with us."

Also, Cooley said there's "definitely a better chance of us winning 10 games [than 6 games], in my opinion." Wise failed to point out that the Vegas over-under is 7, which is definitely closer to 6 than 10, in my opinion.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 21, 2010; 11:14 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Leonsis: Wall will add years to Gilbert's career
Next: What Daniel Snyder has learned: A brief history

Comments

Cooley doesn't need to work with McNabb. It's pretty simple...look for the only open receiver and it'll be Cooley.

Posted by: Section104 | July 21, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I think Cooley is being cautious. He does not want to put too much burden on his ankle until camp. Personally I think he is making a mistake. Let's hope he is not falling back into the 2009 mindset where blogging and shilling came before the team, he needs a big year this year.

Posted by: kieran2001 | July 21, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Dude is coming off an injury and is a performer so no big deal...

Posted by: kahlua87 | July 21, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I agree with Cooley's assertion that there's a better chance of the team winning 10 than winning 6.

Of course, there's also a better chance Dan Snyder hires Tom Cruise to be the new coach -- and Tom wins Coach-of-the-Year -- than there is a chance the Skins win 10 this year.

Colt Brennan is the starter by week 6 -- as McNab goes on the IR for the 4th time in 5 seasons.

All 7 running backs (aged 30+) join McNab on the IR by week-8.

All 5 wide receivers (aged 35+) win their running-bet with the running backs that they can beat them to the IR. The last one makes it week-7.

If this team thought this was "Hell Week". Wait until weeks 6-17 of the regular season!

Kevin Olson
Manassas, VA

Posted by: noslok | July 21, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Football is a dog eat dog, what have you done for me lately business as there ever was. Cooley had outside interets that eventually started showing up on the field, (drops, fumbles and injury).He started believeing the rock star staus heeped upon him by his groupies. As one of our few assets that is appealing to other teams, we should have traded him while he has(had) high value. Davis is better then him at this point anyway. I think i woulda been there but in todays league, you are not playing for your team per say, you are auditioning for your next team. You shoulda been there Cooley.
Having said that, can't wait for camp! HAIL!

Posted by: klangley69 | July 21, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Heck, hell and Cooley just don't mix.

Posted by: richs91 | July 21, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I get the feeling Cooley hasn't bought into whatever the new coach/regime is selling. I could be wrong and in fact, I want to be wrong but I will not be surprised if he's traded.

Posted by: tundey | July 21, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Cooley.... Too many fumbles and dropped passes last year. Get with the program dude.

Posted by: astrober1 | July 21, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that ONE fumble you had last year was too many even though we recovered it. Get with the program dude!

Posted by: ChampKind | July 21, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Everybody who commented on this blog so far doesn't seem like a Redskin fan. Guy who is talking bout everybody getting hurt should be reported for abuse. Come on now the Redskins win ten games this year if not 11 and if Mcnabb does get hurt we all know Colt will be watching Grossman play.

Posted by: skins247365 | July 21, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

It's easy to jump all over Cooley for his decrease in production last year, but try putting a few things in perspective.

In the 7 games he played last season, the Redskins scored an abysmal TOTAL of 10 TDs. Cooley caught 2 of them. Taking into consideration that our O-line was awful, the play calling was mind blowing, and Cooley only played 7 games while sharing his workload with Fred Davis, and there's just not enough evidence to convince me that Cooley can't live up to the expectations he had after the 2008 season.

Fred Davis did turn it on during the second half of the season, but don't let that be a reason to write off Cooley just yet. The guy has an uncanny ability to get open and is very reliable on quick slants. I think Cooley and McNabb are gonna have a solid connection.

Having two very capable tight ends isn't a bad thing people.

Posted by: MillBurray | July 21, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Say it aint so! Chris Cooley's proposed "Hype Man" Colt Brennan is in attendance without his boy? Hopefully Hell week will sharpen McNabbs accuracy ... way too many passes thrown at the feet of his receivers...Smart Move Cooley! its a long season and rest is important at this time of the year!

Posted by: rlomax67 | July 21, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Several factors contributed to Cooley's decision not to attend: (1) Donovan told him he couldn't let his brother tag along, and (2) there's no internet access in Hell so he couldn't blog. Therefore, Cooley had no other choice but to decline the invitation.

If Cooley couldn't catch Campbell's passes how on earth is he going to snare the hard and fast darts that McNabb slings?!

Posted by: rooster75 | July 21, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Don't have a problem with him missing. But, as a full time employee it just makes me laugh to hear someone talking about needing a month or two to chill out from work. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Posted by: yampaco | July 21, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I've been a Redskins fan all my life. If I just so happened to be a neutral sports fan i would swear this is a Dallas Cowgirls site. I mean I never thought our fans would get so blood thirsty and start bashing Cooley I mean c'mon i see the same thing happening to Portis and Moss on different sites I mean these were the only offensive weapons we have had for the last 5 years I understand the every persons passion for winning but lighten up by week 6-17 everybody will be on there jock again the same three

Posted by: cpt55back | July 21, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Non-story, since the beginning of football, guys have done their own thing in the offseason. Football players should stop givin false power to the media-Cooley didn't have to explain a thing.
You know the old Redskins five o'clock club with Riggo and the O-line having beers after practice could not happen now, what with the screaming media/fan criticism that "they're not taking the game seriously, they're bad role models, they're not team players, they're destroying team chemistry, they're cancers"
When Cooley starts missing training camp, holler at me, but I would've preferred a story on why the team colors are what they are to this.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | July 21, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I would have liked for Cooley to go but as long as the young guys go it's all good. They need the work more than Cooley does.

Posted by: anacostia85 | July 21, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I have always been a Chris Cooley fan, but I have to say he is walking a dangerous line.

Donovan MCnabb has taken this team by the throat. Especially with Cooleys injury last season, this is no longer his team. He is no longer the most popular or most looked up to player. The style of play the Redskins are expected to play is much more conducive to Fred Davis's size and skill set than to Cooleys. Chris is popular because he was productive, and dare we say it, white. Well, he is still white, but with Mcnabb and a better line to give him time there will be far fewer check downs to the TE saftey valve. Mcnabb will take more chances to WR and is used to checking down if needed to a RB in Westbrook. To be successful in this offense you better be able to put on a move or go over somebody to catch it. Cooley is not that naturally gifted guy. He needed to be there building chemistry with his QB. With Davis running every play this week, who do you think DM looks for when the chips are down?

Posted by: dbrine1261 | July 21, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

10-6 wins the nfc east this year

Posted by: BMACattack | July 21, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Cooley gets a pass from me because he is Cooooley : arguably the most popular athlete on the (more than likely) most popular team in the city... and I would say rightly so.

47 Rocks.

Having said that, if Cooley is selling us that by his "chill out" or "work out on his own" he is going to be as ready for the season as if he were working with McNabb and the WRs in AZ I have to call shenanigans.

Just say what you gain by going is not worth it to you and you can more or less catch up later. Don't insult our intelligence.

Posted by: juno77275 | July 21, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

I would love to hear the coach`s take on this as he or his son will be calling the play`s. IMO, we will all see that both Davis and Cooley will have a good year. BTW, F-Dallas!!!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | July 21, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

hey noslok all i want to know is who the hell is mcnab? lol

Posted by: clwalker1906 | July 21, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Cooley's becoming a punk! Trade him while we can get value.

Posted by: jerod1 | July 21, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Cooley is a punk and a diva. He is problem in the locker room.

He should be out in AZ.

Instead he and Danny Boy are chilling together. A little hot tub and a little pick up the bar of soap in the shower with CP and Danny. Maybe Brucie and Mikie will join them.

Posted by: sheepherder | July 22, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

seriously, cooley not going to hell week is an issue?... he did show up for all of shanahan's voluntary workouts, correct?

Posted by: zatoichi77 | July 22, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse