Will the Redskins make Haynesworth suffer?

The first day of Redskins training camp always offers something ridiculous for the bloggers among us. Two years ago, it was the debut of Jim Zorn, and the concurrent debut of his Z Shades. Last year, it was the fans with the Vick signs. This year, it will be the torrent of searing hate that will rain down from the gallery upon a certain No. 92.

If he's actually there, the profanities alone will fill several notebooks. It will be remarkable. Fans will make him pay to the best of their ability.

And now, someone's suggesting that the team will, too. ESPN's Adam Schefter did a chat on Wednesday, in which he suggested that the Redskins will not make the end of this month pleasant for their highest-paid defender:

Haynesworth is going to be forced to report to his camp due to his contract, and the Redskins are going to put him through the most challenging training camp of his NFL career. It will not be fun to be Haynesworth during two-a-days. I think everyone agrees that Haynesworth's future is not in Washington. But I don't think the Redskins will make a move until or unless they first can recoup some of the bonus money they've paid Haynesworth.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 7, 2010; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Strasburg's myth-making MLB ad
Next: Marco Coleman takes his shots at Haynesworth

Comments

I love the reference to the Aggro crag. Although I think that is too nice for him . . .

Posted by: perntd945 | July 7, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I don't think they have the guts to do it...

Posted by: CapsNut | July 7, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

A team with a NEW GM, NEW head coach, NEW starting QB, and 2 NEW former All Pro RBs and all anyone cares about is what a defunct player will do at training camp.

I can't deny it. I too am excited to see the treatment Haynesworth receives, but I sure do hope for some REAL Skins story lines once training camp starts.

Last year I saw a man hold up his young boy and point to Haynesworth. He said, "Look son! There's the hundred million dollar man. He's going to be a great Redskin!" Funny how times change, eh?

Posted by: MillBurray | July 7, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Look for Fat Albert to immediately fall prey to some sort of BS injury to get him out of camp. Can't remember whether it was Lachey or Butz that pulled this stunt almost every year.....only, they were always top-form ready to go when the season opened.

Posted by: nonsensical2001 | July 7, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Is it harsh to wish death upon the man? Of course, if he shows up in shape, I hope he does well and adapts to the system. But if not, I pray for death by wind sprints in 100 degree heat.

Posted by: sordidvox | July 7, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

There will not be two-a-days this year according to shanny. Although, Moira Quark will be there spewing cross-pond jibber jabber

Posted by: BurgwithaU | July 7, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Will the Redskins make Haynesworth suffer? Not as much as they've made their fans suffer over the past 11 years of Snyder ownership.

Posted by: RojoJohnson | July 7, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

It would be great to run him ala Gunnery Sgt. Hartman but he'd just collapse from heat exhaustion. I have no love for this cat, but I don't want him dying either. Stringer from the Vikings comes to mind when I think about how these 100 plus degree days are gonna kick his azzz once he gets here.

Posted by: kahlua87 | July 7, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Man, as hot as it is outside, I wouldn't be surprised if Fat Albert loses 95 pds and is in nice shape come regular season kick-off...haha

Posted by: cbmuzik | July 7, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

They will find a way to get rid of him. He is done in DC. Why bother using up coaching time and resources on a loser that ultimately will be gone before the season starts? Let some other team blow more cash to train the train wreck.

Posted by: annon6 | July 7, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

How many days of training camp do we think Haynesworth will miss? Two? 10? 20?

I'm sure he's got a pulled muscle or inflamed tendon that is sure to have him cutting many of his days short in addition to the days when he is too injured to practice at all. You'd have to pay me millions to get me to run around in this heat.

It seems like he has little trade value at this point so I expect the Redskins will pay him his money, he'll play in parts of 10-11 games and there will be a dozen plays when he is just spectacular.

Posted by: KS100H | July 7, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I think that they should let him warm a bench for the entire season. They have the right to do it and it worked with Riggo. Let's see how old Al does when confined to the sidelines.

Posted by: DoneWithDan | July 7, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

this guy is stealing money from the WP at this point. He is actually using Haynesworths name to just mail in articles. He may have wrote these weeks in advance. There is really nothing substantive about them accept he knows he can just put the word Haynesworth out there and we will take a look at it. Let us know when he farts or picks his nose will ya?

Posted by: ged0386 | July 7, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

He is a whiney baby. With that out of the way, he should be put through a torid workout daily (why not? he is getting paid) break him down if he is out of shape and build him back up. If he arrives in sape (fat chance!) then build him to be a beast on day one of the regular season. I do not want to see him in the pre-season. Save him for when it counts. Use him get as much for his fat paycheck. Next year, after he has demonstrated his value then trade him for high draft picks. We have a two, maybe a three year window to fix this. ACT NOW and hold comments about AH until the regular season. That is all that matters. Until lets discuss the other stars and non stars.
cwh.warriorsupport.us

Posted by: changer2 | July 7, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Just cut AH and take the loss. I am so sick of hearing about the idiot and his disruption of the team because he is a selfish, ignorant, whiney arse. I hope he is done in the NFL because he deserves to be DONE!!!! He doesn't care a crap about the team and has proven this in the past and it is ongoing. I really doubt if another team will touch him because of his antics and his unsportsman-like behavior. Just get him out of DC!!!!!

Posted by: ladyredskins | July 7, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I say in 100+ heat he squirms like an Ohio River carp on a hot sidewalk...

Posted by: nowhine | July 7, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Fat Albert deserves whatever he gets! That said, he's sweating all the way to the bank.

Posted by: Jimbo77 | July 7, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

@changer2: i like yr post...

Posted by: dcjazzman | July 7, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Give him 2 choices. Play hard and increase your trade value or sit the bench/injured reserve. It would be in his best interest to play hard and increase his value for any team wanting to aquire him. Sitting on the bench or being on IR will ultimately hurt his potential with another team.

Do not give the money and then release him.

Posted by: Myrddraal | July 7, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the posters concerning his attendance during training camp. I too, feel its just a few hours, maybe days until he gets tweaked and can't work. I'm not believing the comments made about him working at home and getting into shape. If I'm (we're) wrong on either accounts I will be more than happy to apoligize.

I'm not sure this team (players and coaches) has given up on Albert. I think they will be willing to forgive, if Albert can earn their respect on the field. This will be the key to Albert's season.

And of course, he will have to deal with the fan pressure and acceptance - most all players have to be embraced by their fans to be successful.

Personally for me, I will love AH again if he has football success with the Redskins. I think its a very small percentage this will happen. Last season he was awful, compared to my expectations. (hey, maybe thats what he's doing lowering fan expectations) I can't see him playing more/better next season - he must prove himself - like all true REDSKIN PLAYERS. Then we'll love him for life. Once again, I just don't think its in Albert's mindset, for this to happen. And in my mind, the redskin management should have known this before signing him, I still blame the contract, not the player. He is what he was.

Posted by: Rando | July 7, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

AH is out there getting strippers pregnant, not paying for his kids or his loans so he is irresponsible at work and with his private life. Redskins should have done their homework before signing those checks. They should cut their losses and move on as he is not redskin material, probably not even NFL material. Go away and stay away.

Posted by: annon6 | July 7, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

rando,
you do not speak for me and I suspect the same is true for man others. I will not love him no matter what he does for the team and you are on acid if you think he WILL do anything for the team. There is nothing, I repeat nothing he can do that would be good for this team except to leave. The guy is a poor excuse for a human being, a scumbag a con artist. Why he wasn't as good as people thought when he was with his first team. I hope something very bad happens to him in his life. I have no problem saying this.

Posted by: chopin224 | July 7, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Sadly he will act hurt and sit on the sideline until traded. He won't shed one drop of practice sweat, only the sweating he does when walking.

Posted by: flee001 | July 7, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

you said, "Aggro Crag"...lol

I always wanted to be on 'Guts'

Posted by: FrankfurtFreddie | July 7, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

GIVE IT A BREAK ALREADY! You already have the skins fans hating his guts and you're still trying to get him run out of town.

If he comes in a becomes a force for the dfence, all of you will be standing in line waiting to kiss his butt for an interview.

Posted by: keedrow | July 7, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

get off of alberts jock-say u wrk 4 a computer firm and made $30,000 dollars and Mcdonalds brought out your firm and a year past by and know they say we r going more with Mcdonalds way of doing things so u have to become a full time dish washer,will u do it for the same money as u used to when u was designing software.If fat albert thought that he was going to play in a different defense he would have not sign with washington,Ray lewis say he would have done anything i would like to see him play center for the ravens and see how the wrks out

Posted by: ydj662002 | July 7, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ydj662002 | July 7, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I think we can all see it coming. Haynesworth reporting and then claiming after two or three practices that he has a hamstring or back injury.

I don't think this guy has the guts to show up and go through an entire camp and face his teammates and the fans.

He's going to try and pull something on the Redskins just wait and see.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | July 7, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ydj662002 | July 7, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Albert? Is that you?

Posted by: Pthomas2mm | July 7, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Nothing would make the fan base happier except they won't as they will still be losing money to him in the end.

Posted by: Bious | July 7, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth!! Hey, Hey I'm ready to play. Soon the games will begin and hopefully we can put all this nonsense behind.

Posted by: MHEDRLT | July 7, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

"Hello, NFLPA? This is Albert..."

Posted by: nojunk4me | July 7, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

I am an avid reader of both RI and DC Sports Bog, and all the comments, but typically refrain from joining in the chats. I have found great amusement with the AH situation but have not been compelled to be angry with his actions. I have more of a , What the hell did you expect," attitude. Seriously, what do you expect from certain personalities when you throw gross sums of money at them WITHOUT any guarantee of a return on your investment? Do I agree with the way in which AH has handled the situation? No! Am I angry at him? No. I think I would be inclined to be more angry with Snyder/Cerrato for being such buffoons. I have always been against paying athletes the money they are paid to PLAY A GAME but understand that's just the way it is. What I have never been able to understand is why these owners simply make the exorbitant incentive laden? Pay the players what you want but only if they earn it. What incentive does AH have to show up after getting paid close to $40 million without a guarantee of performance? Be angry at AH? I think not (though I abhor his kind). If one feels any anger it should be toward the moron(s) who signed the deal.

Just my rare two cents worth.

Posted by: dmr0834 | July 8, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

oh my

Posted by: annon6 | July 8, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

One can only hope that on the first intra-squad play from scrimmage, 2 or 3 of his defensive line mates take three steps backwards, as the whole offensive line converges on Mr. Ain'tWorth. May the wind sprints be with you. Hopefully, there will be lots of donuts on the training table for breakfast, but everyone else will have been alerted.

Posted by: jburnetti | July 10, 2010 6:55 AM | Report abuse

Listen up moron sports writers and skin fans looking to spread dirt on AH. Let me say upfron I'm disappointed he missed OTA's and even more puzzled we paid him the gurantee up front in April withouht having a more solid comittment/discussion with him on his concerns. Hopefullt its the first and last mistake on our new GM.....HOWEVER AH is going to make us better on D then without him. Jim will not burn AH out at nose....nor run the 3 4 100% of the time. Shanny now needs to have a sit down with AH and begin a new found relationship......both parties need to embrace this novel idea. R U Ready to play some football. PS AH if your listening please make amends in the locker room day #1 and then show the redskin nation your ready to Rumble Big fellow !
Psyched for the season R U ?

Posted by: skinedalive | July 10, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

The skins can't make Hainsworth do anything if he doesn't want to be on the team. He will do drills etc at his own pace and "dog it"!

Make him clean toilet's and hand out towles until we can get rid of him!

Posted by: sbf845 | July 10, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I have every confidence he will show up out of shape and fake an injury to get out of two-a-days. He's a bum!!!

Posted by: anw821 | July 11, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

HAYNESWORTH WILL COME TO TRAINING CAMP GET HURT AND RIDE THE BENCH THE REST OF THE YEAR AND GET PAID.

Posted by: tlj-dc | July 12, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

"Honestly, if they erected a lava-spewing pointy-nailed Aggro Crag at the 50-yard line and forced a naked Haynesworth to scale it using only his teeth while being pelted with giant radioactive dodge balls filled with rancid milk, fans would still probably leave disappointed, and would write anonymous blog comments complaining that the team had let him off so easy. But the prospect of "not fun to be Haynesworth" likely has at least a few people smiling this week."

How in the hell did you come up with this scenario?

Posted by: RedskinsXXVI | July 12, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

-------------
First, I wouldn't be designing software for only 30k/yr. Second, that's what happens when companies merge/acquire/change management--you're lucky to keep your job, much less do the exact to be doing the exact same thing under the new management.

Posted by: NCICURN | July 13, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

They'll treat Haynesworth exactly the way they'd treat any other player. If he shows up in shape, he'll participate in regular drills and meetings and coaches will try to get him up to speed on the defense. If he's too out of shape to do that, they'll put him through drills appropriate to his condition to get him into shape.

This is the NFL in 2010, not the SWC in the "Meat on the Hoof" days. Shanahan and his staff are too professional to waste time and effort running Haynesworth through "punishment" drills. Shanahan is not Darrell Royal and AH is not some 18 or 19 year old who can be intimidated into "giving up his scholarship." AH is (nominally) a professional with a contract, labor laws, and a union behind him. Treating Haynesworth differently because they're POed with him would just create more distractions and make Shanny, et al. look petty to current and future players.

Haynesworth was known to be a guy with a bad attitude who didn't want to play in the new defensive system. Knowing that, the time to worry about paying him a huge bonus was when it was due. They rolled the dice and, now that the bones came up snake eyes, that money's gone.

Posted by: Charles_Day@comcast.net | July 13, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

All they can do is make him practice like any other player. If they work him too hard in the heat and he dies, his family will sue. If they pummel him and he gets injured they don't get any of their guaranteed money back AND he has no trade value. If they treat him unfairly during practice, the NFLPA will step in.

It is what it is. Play him or deal him.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | July 13, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

LOL! The visuals that came to mind, just imagining big baby fat Albert being made to suffer, gave me a huge laugh, thanks, needed it!

Posted by: proetica2003 | July 14, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse