1983 Redskins at the Super Bowl wearing hats

With Russ Grimm's induction into the Hall of Fame approaching, it's again open season on Redskins 1980s nostalgia. That means it was time to break into the Redskins Greatest Game DVD collection. The beginning of the game has everything you could want: Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen discussing the Las Vegas line, Joe Gibbs in polyester pants, graphics that look like something my daughter drew with fragrant markers.

And then there are the player introductions. The Dolphins mostly look like the bad frat guys in an early-'80s slapstick comedy; lots of blond hair and confident grins. None of them are wearing hats.

The Redskins look like a bunch of confused, possibly inebriated truckers. No less than 12 of the 22 starters are pictured wearing hats. And some of these hats, as you can see, are truly incredible. No one is looking better, though, than our man Grimm. He, Dave Butz and John Riggins all have to be in the running for best Super Bowl profile pic of all time. Don't take 'em like that any more. Thanks to long-time reader CapsNut for the tip.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 5, 2010; 9:54 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kornheiser gives Shanahan a D
Next: Riggins calls Haynesworth "an infection"

Comments

Olkewicz looks like a young version of the old guy Kevin McCallister is afraid of in Home Alone

Posted by: dansteinberg | August 5, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dansteinberg | August 5, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I bought this DVD last month and thought the same exact thing! I had to hit rewind to make sure Butz really was wearing a captain's hat.

The DVD also had the full 1987 and 1991 Super Bowl broadcasts as well. At the end of the 1991 broadcast you can see Keenan McCardell in street clothes on the sidelines, and they also show Brian Mitchell talking into the camera saying that he got the ring and the $36,000 (payout for the winner's share), and how it was only his second year. Too bad he never made it back.

Posted by: goose33 | August 5, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I wonder how many people know that Matt Mendenhall is BYU Head Coach "Bronco" Mendenhall....I wish he could the next Maryland Terrapins Head Football Coach

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | August 5, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Hahaha, fantastic photos.

Posted by: MillBurray | August 5, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Good job Steinberg. You have tricked me into sending the NFL my money in exchange for this DVD.

Posted by: bouncinggorilla | August 5, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Only Big Bad Dave Butz would wear a captain hat. LOL!

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | August 5, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------
Actually Mat Mendenhall is the older brother to Bronco Mendenhall. Sorry, but neither Mendenhall would never come here to coach the Terps.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | August 5, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

It's almost enough to bring a tear to my eye. Whatever happened to my once proud franchise?

Posted by: CHICO13 | August 5, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | August 5, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the info....I thought they were the same person....in either case, I would like to see a total change in leadership of the Football program at Maryland...

Posted by: ejharrisjr42 | August 5, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | August 5, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ejharrisjr42 | August 5, 2010 3:13 PM
---------------------------
No problem and yeah I would like a change in College Park.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | August 5, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Except for that bogus quarterback with weak leg bones, that's one of the greatest collections of humans ever. Thanks for the memories.

Posted by: technoir | August 6, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse