Affordable Redskins season tickets available at StubHub

Here's something weird: StubHub is currently offering 942 season tickets to Redskins games, many of the non-club, non-premium variety. That doesn't speak very highly to the market savvy of tens of thousands of Redskins fans signing up for the waitlist every year. Hey, tens of thousands of Redskins fans, just go buy your season tickets on StubHub!

The prices on these seats vary wildly, and I'm not sure what numbers they're actually selling at. But here's one interesting example. A friend of mine is paying $890 a year for his seats in row 8 of a 400-level section. StubHub has season tickets for sale in row 5 of the exact same section for $900. The site also has tickets available in row 8 of what appears to be an extremely similar 400-level section for $790.

Also, my same friend was paying $710 a year when he was higher up in that same 400-level section. Yet StubHub will let you move one section closer to the 50-yard line and buy season tickets in row 19 for $650.

Of course, the face-value season tickets you'd buy from the Redskins include the two preseason home games, while these StubHub packages do not, so maybe that explains things. And if you're buying season tickets on StubHub, you're violating team policy and not assuring yourself of the same seats in the 2011 season. Also, maybe people didn't know these season tickets were for sale, though now they should.

The Redskins, incidentally, say that selling season-ticket packages is against their policies, and that demand for general-admission season tickets remains strong.

"For the Dallas game I wish we had another 10,000 tickets to sell, because if we did they'd be gone," COO David Donovan told me.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 26, 2010; 11:59 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Donovan McNabb's Washingtonian profile
Next: NFL players say Redskins have hottest cheerleaders

Comments

Well, when they send you a letter offering you season tickets, one of the benefits listed is that you can sell your tickets on stubhub for a profit! It actually says that in the letter.

Posted by: Hogie | August 26, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

"against their policies" for THEM to sell the packages on StubHub, or only against their policies for us to do it?

I demand clarification.

Posted by: buckwheaton1 | August 26, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

********

Yeh, 'cos that would mean another 10k tixx available on Stubhub or Craigslist.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | August 26, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

"Of course, the face-value season tickets you'd buy from the Redskins include the two preseason home games, while these StubHub packages do not, so maybe that explains things"

Actually, that explains everything.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 26, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

********

Yeh, 'cos that would mean another 10k tixx available on Stubhub or Craigslist.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | August 26, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Cleaning out my place this weekend I found a lower-level, 30-yrd line tix from 1990. Care to guess what that cost? You can't even PARK for that price anymore.

It was $25.

Posted by: DCV1 | August 26, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I belive that StubHub charges a fee to the buyer and the seller. One pays a 10% fee and the other a 15% fee of the price (I forget who pays what).

Posted by: bbmcoachk | August 26, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

bbmcoachk, its 15% fee for the seller, and 10% of the asking price for the buyer. additionally, i just paid about $12 for shipping (took about week and a half since i placed the order, but thats mainly because stubhub doesn't have the tickets themselves)

maybe its not related, but I HATE COACH K

Posted by: PERrUkio | August 26, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

When I was a LL season ticker holder, I preferred ebay. Their "cut" is substantially less that other resellers and you make the deals directly with other fans or with ebay "powersellers".

Among the many reasons (e.g the crappy amateurish but expensive FEDEX experience) I gave up the tickets (it was not an easy decision) was being forced to buy the essentially worthless pre-season tickets at the same cost as regular games.

My experience on ebay was LL seats will go for around half face value for preseason game. Maybe more depending on location. I saw upper level seats sit with no bids.

As for regular season, if it is not a popular opponent, it is late in the season, and the skins are out of it, the market is about the same as preseason.

Posted by: mi-ti-bear | August 27, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse