Clinton Portis's message to the haters

Clinton Portis has given so many terrifically defensive radio and television monologues over the year that it's hard to impressed by much anymore, but Tuesday's opus to Comcast SportsNet's Kelli Johnson cannot be ignored. Especially the first line, when Johnson asked Portis if his doubters continue to provide motivation.

"I really be wanting to give people my ass to kiss," he said. "Like, real talk."

Ah yes. That's the good stuff. More real talk, please.

"What I realized is, you can't please people," he continued. "People will never be satisfied. There's always gonna be a story of negativity. And I think so many people didn't want to see me in a Redskins uniform, so many people wanting to be able to hate me, so many people wanting to be able to write me off, but I'm still here. You know, I'm still here. I've still got a lot left in the tank, and I appreciate them for the motivation that they gave me, and they make it easier."

Frankly, that's the two-paragraph version of the entire interview. If you're really into this sort of thing, here's the extended-play version.

"So now when I walk around with my head up high, I don't have to look you in the eye and high-five you, because I don't trust you, I don't think you've got my best interests in mind," Portis said, to you the haters, not you Kelli Johnson. "I think for the true fans -- there's still some true Redskins fans, some Clinton Portis lovers, some people that appreciate the work that I put in here.

"But for the majority, I really think they're against me, because when I sat and listened to the radio shows and the talk shows for the first time, and hear the commentators and all the sports anchors writing me off -- oh, he's done -- and [about] all the competition that the Redskins brought in....

"I mean, there's so many haters, man, there used to be a point where you wanted to prove them wrong. Now, I think I'm at a position in life where every yard that I get is a yard that's gonna pass me on the charts of somebody, it's gonna put me into elite company in the NFL, and with that I think I can accept the appreciation and my track record in football.

"So all the haters, they gonna continue to be haters. So many people unhappy with who they are, they want to control who you are and where you are. Can't nobody control me. They're gonna stay unhappy, and I'm gonna continue to do the things that I do to shine and make you hate me."

Mid-season form, no? Portis and his haters have some sort of strange symbiotic relationship at this point, both happily sucking each others' third-person blood.

Want more? Johnson asked Portis whether the hate hurts, after a while.

"It do," he said. "It hurt, it's an aggravation, because if you're gonna turn on that film, I've been in D.C. for seven years. Five out of those seven years that I was healthy, you can't tell me I wasn't one of the best in the game. And I think I provided so much spark and gave so much and showed so much heart and left so much on the field for an organization, for an area, for a fan base, for the Washington Redskins.

"I feel like I always left it on the field. There wasn't a Sunday that you can question what I was doing or where I was or was I dedicated to this organization or this team. But from Monday through Saturday, the gossip come out through you all -- Portis not practicing and Portis a prima donna and Portis want his way and Portis want this and Portis want that.

"You haven't heard me ask for anything, and anything I ever said was the truth. I haven't came out and lied about one situation, I haven't came out and made myself try to look good in a situation, I came out and told the truth every time. How the outside world perceived that or took that was on them. A lot of people think that I pointed the finger -- I listen to shots a long time before I respond, and so many people still taking shots at me. But I think I'm at a place in life man, where for you, it'd take more energy for you to sit and figure out what I'm doing than it'd take for me to worry about what you talking about. So I don't."

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 3, 2010; 7:46 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Restaurant offers free ice cream if Haynesworth passes
Next: Snyder wants to build Redskins museum

Comments

The motivation and swagger in his voice has me pumped up for week 1 against the cowgirls. CP is not putting up with crap and i love this coming from him. CP is a true Redskin and is gonna smash Riggos record this year. HTTR!

Posted by: MrWillie | August 3, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

<---- Hater.

And I'm pretty sure I wasn't one of the teammates he threw under the bus among other things. Snyder was an "enabler" so I guess it's not all his fault.

Whatever Clinton. Keep telling yourself that garbage.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 3, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg, no witty ending? Here's mine:

And that's why I don't try to figure out what Clinton Portis is doing, it's exhausting.

Posted by: kdjsgreen | August 3, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Me fail english, unpossible!

Posted by: skins4eva | August 3, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Portis Pockets Straight...haters

Posted by: TinyJordan | August 3, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Whatever. CP seems to think he's so important that people will actually expend the energy of a strong emotion such as hate toward him. Actually, the vast majority of Redskins fans basically put up with him, becuase we have no direct influence in the matter. We don't love him. We don't hate him. We just don't care about him.

Posted by: tgburson1963 | August 3, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see CP has mastered the english language.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 3, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Portis , meet me behind the 7-eleven so I can whip yo sorry lazzzzzie ass boizzzzzzz ! You sure you not "OMAR" from the retired HBO show the WIRE ? You sure do act like one . You couldn't bust a HOE in a bubble cause you lack a hoe step now !But being you think you still can then you need to show your work ! when the last time you did any of that ? Be real cause this is your last 18 for sure

Posted by: terryreece | August 3, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

I don't think "most" fans are haters. We know Portis, when healthy, has played great on Sundays. We know he's a great blocking back. But we know that we hear him clowning around more than we like off-the-field. We know he seems to slack off when it comes to practices. We know that he's lost a step and that he is talking a better game than he's playing while he's talking his way out of practices. And he's beginning to get hurt too much. We don't see leadership in Clinton Portis, so he's disappointing in some ways. He's not close to perfect, but few players are. It is what it is. Most of this is just factual. Liking or not liking his clowning around off the field is the only subjective part. Many of us simply don't like it, especially when we're losing.

Posted by: olavsmith | August 3, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Clinton - please play football, and leave it at that.

Posted by: bfjam | August 3, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

The Post should add him to their all-star lists of columnists. He and Arrington would make a good pair.

Posted by: MKadyman | August 3, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

"The U" definitely delivered an excellent education to this young man.

Posted by: MyJobsMyCredit | August 3, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

They need to publish some type of translation glossary for anything Clinton Portis says because I don't understand ANYTHING in that last paragraph.

And no, Clinton, I'm not going to kiss your ass!

Posted by: whatyoutalkinboutman | August 3, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

The past two seasons the multitude of Campbell supporters rolled out a litany of excuses for his sub par performances, from the constant turn over of Coordinators, to the wacky play calling situation, to the weak offensive line. Those same supporters offered none of those explanations for Portis even though he had to contend with all of those AND a QB who couldn't get the ball down field. In 2008, Portis was the class of the league for 10 weeks until opponents stacked the line, shut down the running game, and dared Campbell to beat them. Last season, the O-line was terrible. It was worse than the year before. The game plan was abysmal. And Portis was hurt most of the season.

This season Portis has better line to run behind, a better game plan, and support from the QB position. I fully expect Portis to bounce back and rival the best backs in the league for the rushing title.

Posted by: tkoho | August 3, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

If you haven't been able to root for Clinton Portis on this team, I don't know who you HAVE been rooting for...

#26 is the man.

And he's gonna have a year.

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | August 3, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Cowgirls?? wow, if that Lil Wayne wanna be is even on the practice squad it will be a miracle. He is done! He can't cover 40 yds. in under 5 seconds and is softer than toilet paper. You need to do some research on those pitiful girls before you yap off from last place!

Posted by: doyouktt | August 3, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Who hates Portis? He's a moron. He's nearly retarded. Read the quotes. He never learned to speak Enlish, he's bashed his head too many times and he plays these interviews as if he's a soldier in uniform instead of a running back that's been paid (tens?) of millions of dollars to be, at best, a mediocre running back that was always through by game 12 on the one hand, and a toxic waste in the locker room and on Doc and Coach's radio show on the other.

He's the same, lazy, unproductive load as Albert. The two guys that should have been dumped when Shanny came in were Albert and Portis, hands down, end of story. However, training camp is young yet, there's always hope.In any discussion of losing Redskins' teams, Clinton Portis has been THE common denominator as a player, a teammate in the locker room and in the press for five or six years. Send him away, cut him, whatever. Hopefully he'll wind up on the Eagles or Cowboys and the Skins can bash him a little for his trouble. He's done.

Hey Clinton! Tell ya what, if you're not cut by Game 1, I'll send your agent a ticket to buy you dinner at Ruth's Chris! When you DO get cut however, I'm going to go to Ruth's Chris MYSELF to celebrate. And I'm takin' B-Mitch with me to celebrate. He had YOU pegged just right from the very start.

Posted by: JamesChristian | August 3, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Good for you, Portis! You don't have as many doubters as you think. Most of them are being paid to sell soap or too dumb to think for themselves.

Posted by: sorry2say | August 3, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, how did CP pass any English course in high school or football???

Posted by: vegascapsfan1 | August 3, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Me thinks he doth protest too much.

Posted by: nojunk4me | August 3, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Will someone please shut this idiot up? I know he sells papers, but, is simply an embarrassment to "the U". He can't put together a coherent thought or sentence. Thank God he can run a football because he isn't fit for anything else.

Posted by: KDSmallJr | August 3, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

I agree with CP but Hate and Evil has to live in the people who watch violence for pleasure.
Yo CP! Thank You for RUSHING ALL the way to 2nd out of 284 backs ALL time in 73 year History of the Redskins. Thank you for taking Days OFF of YOUR LIFE with every Y.A.C or blitz pick up for OUR ENTERTAINMENT! Most of us have seen your hard work every year! Skins Fan 28th year and counting........ Westside!

Posted by: WestsideSkins4life | August 3, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

pegged exactly as what james christian? one of the best running backs to ever play for the Skins? cuz no matter how much you dislike his personality that's what he is. and to me, it seems like he's a decent dude with his head on straight. you don't hear about him getting in trouble. he works hard and he speaks his mind. sounds like a pretty good role model to me. (cept for the poor english). but i use slang all the time too, so i'm not one to judge, even tho i have a masters degree.

Posted by: destewar | August 3, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

I agree that CP is an illiterate idiot but I also think he is a good running back. I think he quit last season because he knew that Zorn and company had no clue how to run a team and lacked the authority to control the team and him. He called Zorn genius when talking about busted plays etc. I think we'll see CP return to his previous form from the Gibbs era but he'll have more health issues. Glad we got Parker, Johnson and hopefully, Westbrook.

Posted by: neil64 | August 4, 2010 2:53 AM | Report abuse

CP, I THINK THE REDSKIN FANS WERE DISGUSTED WITH SYNDERATTO, SOME OF THE COACHES, THE PRODUCT BEING PUT ON THE FIELD, AND SNYDER ALLOWING HIMSELF TO BECOME BUDDIES WITH YOU - LIKE HE WAS RELIVING HIS CHILDHOOD. THIS IS A BUSINESS,AND THOUGH WE LIKE TO SEE YOU DRESS UP AND CLOWN FOR US ON THURSDAYS, WE WANT EVERY PLAYER IN TOP SHAPE AND WE WANT A WINNING PRODUCT. WHEN YOU WANT TO SKIP PRACTICE AND JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE GIFTED YOU GET YARDAGE, BUT NOT WHAT THE FANS KNOW YOU ARE CAPABLE OF WERE YOU IN TOP CONDITION EVERY SEASON, WE GET ANNOYED WITH YOU. THIS IS THE BEST SHAPE BY FAR YOU HAVE EVER BEEN IN WHILE HERE IN WASHINGTON, AND THAT MEANS YOUR CONDITIONING FOR THE OTHER SEASONS IS UNACCEPTABLE. WE WANT TO ROOT FOR YOU, BUT YOU MUST GIVE YOUR ALL IN CONDITIONING EVERY SEASON FOR THIS TO HAPPEN. YOU ARE A GREAT TALENT, AND IT'S A SHAME YOU DID NOT HAVE THE TEAM AROUND YOU AND THAT YOU WERE MISUSED AT RB, UNTIL NOW.

Posted by: artsnsportz | August 4, 2010 3:34 AM | Report abuse

Who's Clinton Porbis?

Posted by: ReginaldSmash | August 4, 2010 4:10 AM | Report abuse

Clinton be hatin on da fanzz? Wadd up wit dat?

Posted by: sbf845 | August 4, 2010 6:35 AM | Report abuse

Clinton be hatin on da fanzz? Wadd up wit dat?

Posted by: sbf845 | August 4, 2010 6:36 AM | Report abuse

Clinton, you will always have the support of this fan. Keep running the rock, picking up blitz like no other running back in the league. And, keep clowning around. It's not your fault that you like your job. And that other people are obviously envy of you. And the fact that they do not like their job, means that don't like to see you happy in yours. Keep running #26, score as many TDs for us that you can. A true fan of the Redskins, and Clinton Portis.

Posted by: dbailey211 | August 4, 2010 6:38 AM | Report abuse

It's clear CP was right about the haters. Look how many people have posted comments about the way he talks. What does that have to do with football? I've always scratched my head when people said CP was lazy and should be cut. Him not practicing last year should be blamed on Zorn, not CP. If you could do half the work of your co-workers, with management's permission, and still get the same level of compensation you would if you worked triple shifts, what would you do? CP has ALWAYS played his heart out. Sometimes the results weren't what we fans wanted but the effort was always there. So you can keep hating if you want to but come September 12 you'll be damn glad he's on our side.

Posted by: largetony86 | August 4, 2010 6:41 AM | Report abuse

He said, "It do." =)

Posted by: cpayne624 | August 4, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

I think CP was talking about James Christian when he was being interviewed. Why are you so angry at him? By the way, your grammar isn't that great either (comma king). If you believe that he's going to be cut by week one, your football knowledge is even worse.

Posted by: jwmartin_72 | August 4, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

This guy is nuts. Stop reading the papers, stop listening to the radio shows and go out and play football. He's a great blocking back but not a great running back...anymore. It is what it is. I'd like to see him have a great year (I don't like the guy or dislike him, I don't care about him) but I doubt it. 8-8 the Redskins will be.

Posted by: thedc_kid | August 4, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

No one questioned what you left on the field, but you took it OFF the field also when you called out your QB and FB. And your S.E. Jerfome bit IS NOT FUNNY MAN.

And what SHOULD we think when others on the team are hurting throughout the season but still practice but you thought because you "leave it on the field" that you should be allowed to skip practice? What's the story there CP? Only Prima Donas would do that.

I remained in your corner for a long time because you proved to be the toughest person on the team there for awhile, but the more you missed games and ran your mouth quickly changed my opinion.

If you would just SHUT UP and play ball, people wouldn't be so critical but like T.O. you simply CAN'T keep your mouth closed and that will keep fans wanting to see you gone from the skins.

Posted by: keedrow | August 4, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis always gives 100% on gameday, he can speak in piglatin or in riddles for all i care, as long as he keeps playing strong each and every sunday im fine with hime. He is older and slower now but his heart is still strong..

Posted by: jredden | August 4, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Portis is gonna be who he is period we can't change that.My problem is whenever he does run the ball he just runs straight he doesn't cut-back, give you a shake, or shimmy he just runs in a straight line and then falls down after somebody breathes on him.Don't get me wrong he is one of the best blockers at rb in the league and has a lot of heart but he runs like he's a fullback instead of a rb.If he added even a little more moves to his running style he would be waaay more productive!

Posted by: lou202 | August 4, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Portis is delusional. People say he doesn't practice. Well, he doesn't. At least he didn't. They say he throws team mates under the bus. Well, he does. Ask Sellers. And, if thinks he hasn't lost a step, I'll bet my house he can't run the 4.3 he came into the league with. He's closer to 5.0. His English skills are a joke. That's why I hate him. He doesn't care enough to learn to speak, like, say, Alex Ovechkin.

Posted by: lp_lodestar | August 4, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

what a dope

Posted by: funkey | August 4, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

As soon as Zorn tried to coach CP, CP went to Snyder's office and Dannyboy to Zorn to backoff. That signed the Redskins most embarassing season in History into the books. Zorn lost the whole team and it became a full blown circus.

CP used to run with moves, but can he do it again:

Posted by: artsnsportz | August 4, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Dan, you're the best sportswriter at the Post, period. I always seem to agree with your take on pretty much everything. You should have Mike Wise's job. Like, real talk.

Posted by: conman440 | August 4, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

He is right, most of you are haters and think you are smarter than everyone else. Lets see, the average blogger thinks he is smarter than the president and the any GM of any major sports franchise yet you are sitting at a desk working for someone else in most cases, making less money and less successful than most of the people you trash. The blog is full of haters. Dont get mad at portis. He put in the work to become what he is. And I bet he is better at his job than most of us are.

Posted by: ged0386 | August 4, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I dont think Portis knowss what accountability is... nobody is hating on him... he was a guy that came into camp the last few years out of shape and had a sense of entitlement. if he did not have a high salary and did not coutn against the cap, he would have been released or traded (You can't get value for an out of shape, injured player ie... Big Al).. Portis is a talent and can be one of the best but the proof is in the pudding. Honestly, it is not the haters gving him motivation... it is his coach and GM signing two capable RB's that can take his position. Also, lets not forget portis... this same coach traded ur behind for a lock down corner. if he did it once, he can do it again. that is your motivation. For his dialect and sentence structure.. I will leave that alone because they really did not teach at the U... kind of used the "No athlete left behind" law adn pushed them thru. Portis, as a die-hard, I hope you have a great year because if you don't, this diatribe you put on the fans is going to haunt you.

Posted by: rvanags | August 4, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I still say he's gay (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Posted by: chombie13 | August 4, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse