Dan Snyder speaks during preseason broadcast

Dan Snyder's two segments in the booth with Kenny Albert and Joe Theismann Friday night were not memorable for what he said, which was mostly short and forgettable. His appearance was memorable, though, because it continues a recent stretch in which the Redskins owner has regularly engaged with the media and the public, explaining things like his decision to move on from the Maroon and Black Era.

"Well, we needed to go in a better direction and turn this thing around," Snyder said. "It started with Bruce [Allen], and then Mike [Shanahan]. We were lucky enough that he was out there, and then Bruce got McNabb for Mike, and things are going in the right direction."

"Dan, you've always been very conscious about the fans experience when it comes to FedEx," Theismann later said, which maybe not everyone would agree with 100 percent, but whatever. "Tell us about some of the new things that have been added out here."

"It starts with the big scoreboard," Snyder said. "We're real excited about that, I think the reception's gone over pretty well. Hopefully it's gonna work. They're gigantic and they're punter-proof. We're thrilled with them, and it's exciting for us. We also have a bunch of things we're doing around the grounds, just trying to get this facility [updated] and keep it new and fresh."

Later, Theismann brought up the season opener against Dallas.

"I can't even fathom what this stadium's gonna feel like, can you?" he asked, in what was one of his harder-hitting questions.

"It's gonna be electric," Snyder said. "It's gonna be almost 92,000, and it's gonna be lit up. We've got obviously a tough schedule, but we're looking forward to it."

Snyder also said the first quarter Friday night was "a good start to the season," and that McNabb is "special. he's special....He's a real leader. He's the full package. He's a franchise quarterback."

Like I said, content-wise, nothing special. But someone inside that building is at least trying to get the owner out in front of the fans, saying the right things. I joke about all these things, but this is a good development.

(For previous interactions, see here, here, here and here.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 13, 2010; 9:01 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rex Grossman talks "Sexy Rexy," greatness
Next: Brandon Banks does the John Wall Dance

Comments

So kind of our Dear Leader to take the time to speak to the unwashed masses.

Posted by: snydercash4clunkers | August 13, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Still very reserved in his interactions, but yes this is a noticeable development. Also good it seems he's more hands off.

Posted by: JDP_ | August 13, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Ugh. Infomercial.
Seemed like Skins pr penned the questions.

Off topic, Grossman looked good in the first half.

Posted by: LEM66 | August 13, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

The Dan Snyder rehabilitation tour makes another successful stop.

Like Steinz said, way more important for the fact that Dan had an impromptu media visit than for what was said.

Also, quick summary of Joey Sunshine's comments "SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCH"

Posted by: jbanks979 | August 13, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Next thing you know, he's going to attend a game like a fan and shake hands with tailgaters. Then he'll announce that he's signed Ted Leonsis as his Life Coach.

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | August 13, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe Theismann actually said something along the lines of, "I know how aware you are of the fan experience at FedEx, please tell us about the improvements made this season".

If he's so aware of the fan experience, he's an even bigger d-bag than I gave him credit for.

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | August 13, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Well at least the bogger didn't try to trash what wasnt there like usual, even though most of you are. I will have to saythis, much as I love Joey T as a Redskin All Timer he is a kiss ass. LOL Just once how about asking something that makes Dan actually have to think or explain something, anything.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | August 13, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Seems to have lost a lot of weight too. Must be the recession.

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 13, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

It's not that Snyder refused to talk to the media in the past. It's just that his angelic glow is so powerful that most normal cameras break when they try to capture his likeness.

Posted by: ReginaldSmash | August 13, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Okay he stepped out of his ivory tower and spoke to the public. Thanks, now please shutup and just sign the checks. And go out of town, or better yet, out of the country until February.

Posted by: kls1 | August 13, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

joe was so busy kissing snyder's butt that he forgot to pay attention to the game and thought a punt return was an interception.

Posted by: bflo | August 14, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

What is wrong with you morons? Stop envying the man for being a success in life and be thankful that he has a team for you to entertain your lazy ass. Who cares whether he lives in an Ivory tower or not, whether he would ever come down to the stands and shake hands (why is that important to you?), or whether his luxury suite is made of gold? He has earned the money and he can spend it anyway he wants it, just as you do with your miser salary. You don't like what he does with the team? Don't support it. Crying out loud! What a bunch of envious morons.

Posted by: hock1 | August 14, 2010 1:25 AM | Report abuse

the guy has all the charisma of a pile of laundry...

Posted by: bromisky | August 14, 2010 5:37 AM | Report abuse

the guy has all the charisma of a pile of laundry...

Posted by: bromisky | August 14, 2010 5:38 AM | Report abuse

Seems to have lost a lot of weight too. Must be the recession.

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 13, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Shanny got everyone in shape apparently.

Posted by: JulzDC | August 14, 2010 6:32 AM | Report abuse

everytime snyder opens his mouth it makes me wonder how in the heck he made his money --- this guy's inarticulate and goofy even

Posted by: bestmick1 | August 14, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

"the guy has all the charisma of a pile of laundry..."

Dan,

This was the biggest joke of an interview I have ever seen.

Snyder has a "man crush" on Joe Theismann. The whole time he stood there he literally had his back to Kenny Albert and just stared dreamily up into Theismann's eyes.

When Albert tried to talk to him and says "Thanks for coming." Snyder was like "Yeah, thanks. Whatever." then turned back to Theismann and stared into his eyes again. He acted like Albert interrupted some great bonding moment between him and Theismann.

Snyder is the biggest jerk. He reminds me of little rich kid at school with all of the toys who constantly plays favorites with the kids around him.

Please don't make us look at him again. I wanna go throw up now.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 14, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

I hate that the broadcasters wear Redskin shirts while interviewing Danny Boy. It looks and smells like an infomerrical.

Posted by: awaydog35 | August 14, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

This was definately a scripted interview but nonetheless snyder did seem more relaxed. I am told that as he looks for ways to squeeze more money from the fans he is looking into adding "extra dream seats". These are folding chairs given to fans who sit on the field all the way up to the 30-yard line when the action is at the other end. As the teams move back in the other direction, the fans pick up the chairs and walk to the other end and sit down on the field...and so on...and so on all game long. You truly are part of the action with these seats....How 'bout them Redskins..!!

Posted by: IrvFleckman | August 14, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Danny only started caring about the fan experience when people stopped showing up. He continues to have a big problem with the fans walking from the Metro and the cars trying to get in the parking lot. Last night, the traffic was backed up all the way to the 495/Central Ave ramp. Either build a pedestrian bridge or get the police out of their cars to stop the walkers before someone gets killed.

Posted by: oconnra8 | August 14, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

There is nothing the Mighty Midget can do to ever get me to change my opinion of him. If the Redskins EVER win a Super Bowl again, my joy will be tempered with having to see Danny standing on a step stool, accepting the Lombardi, yelling "That's Redskins football" into the microphone.

It's not jealousy of him being rich. It is not anything other than him taking something I love and making me feel like an outsider. The Redskins were a family: fans, management, team. Now we are players, owners, and guests.

Posted by: Leeguru | August 14, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Well, I loved all of the changes inside and out. Even greater than those video boards were the attendants working with people and cars exiting the Green lot on the Central Avenue side of the stadium!!!
Beautiful and way over due before someone got really injured.

Posted by: rich31 | August 14, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I was heartened to note that the stadium was not as full as it could be last night although that will change for the regular season when the delusional lemmings, I mean, real superfans pack that stadium in September.

I'm amazed at how much time and money the fans spend on this team. Surely in these recessionary times we live in they could find a better use for their money than this pathetic organization that gouges their fans year after year. Oh, that's right, according to the fans, every year is a Super Bowl year so time to lap up whatever false hope Comrade Snyder is selling.

Posted by: playahatah | August 14, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted: "be thankful that Danny has a team for you"

Why to numbskulls keep saying people should be thankful Danny spends any money on the team? If he offered it for sale he'd have his money back, got it?
He wasted his money on Zorn and Cerrato and ruined the team for ten years.
NO thanks!

Posted by: kls1 | August 14, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Joe theismann is a mouth run amoke....painfull to listen to him the whole game. Almost every chance he got, he directed the conversation to him, about him or what happened to him. Even when he was wrong about what happened on the field(when talking to snyder, he thought a punt return was an int and even being wrong goes on about how the skins need turnovers etc) I know you love the skins joe and never met a microphone you didn't love but jeeze, turn it back about 100 notches dude. great win because we appeared to be well coached no matter who was on the field and everybody has bought in...very refreshing. ACCOUNTABILITY ! Thats the difference between a winning front office and coach and a cluless vinny and dan and burgandy and black Zorny.

Posted by: klangley69 | August 14, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Leeguru | August 14, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Well said, Lee! It's no longer our football team. It's Danny's team and we're paying for the "privilege" of cheering for it.

Posted by: stwasm | August 14, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

3...2...1... Danny can shut up now and hold that pose for 10 years in penance for what he put us through for the lost decade of the aughts 2000-2009. Instead he wants to jump on board the Shanny bandwagon, as if any current success will make us forget what we think about him.

Posted by: minorthread | August 14, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Snyder can stick to a talking point better than anyone. I must have seen that punter proof line in every interview.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 14, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Redskins fans' hatred of Dan Snyder really is nauseating. So much misdirected anger, it really is pathetic.

Nearly every criticism they have of the guy is based on misinformation, rumors, and half-truths. For instance, he was never nearly as involved in the player personnel decisions as fans have comically believed over the years.

Regardless, if and when the Redskins become a consistent winner, the overwhelming majority of the criticisms of Dan Snyder will magically cease--whether he's really done anything differently or not.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 15, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Leeguru | August 14, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: stwasm | August 14, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Agreed.

Posted by: Scoonie97 | August 16, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Danny needs to stay off the TV. The game revealed - gasp - the Bills are very bad. This will be useful info for my pool picks. Of course, like all longtime fans it gives me an irrational hope that this year will be better. I still won't give Danny a penny. He would be better off keeping a low (hee hee) profile and hoping we forget about him.

Posted by: didnik | August 16, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: didnik | August 16, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: didnik | August 16, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: didnik | August 16, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: didnik | August 16, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

goodness. the server kept timing out and so i tried again. then they all went thru. sorry...

Posted by: didnik | August 16, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I only read this entry so I could find Barno's praise of Snyder.

Posted by: jpfterps | August 16, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I encourage all real fans of the team to boycott all NFL merchandise. If you buy anything, Danny get's 1/32 of the profits. My friends and family have followed that mantra for 3 years now. It's not having an affect on him, but it makes me feel better. If I were to get FREE tickets to a game, I will make my own non-official shirt!.

And Barno1 is silly!

Posted by: Leeguru | August 16, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

JFPTERPS, When did I "praise" Snyder on this entry? Big difference between defending someone from attacks and praising them.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 16, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse