Snyder: FedEx Field lots may open at noon for opener

Note: A previous version of this blog item led with different stuff.

Last week, Daniel Snyder promised more changes to tailgating at FedEx Field this season, and on Tuesday, he gave a hint of one of these changes.

In an interview with two writers from the blog Hogs Haven, Snyder said he wants to give as much "time and space" as possible for tailgating, so they followed up by asking about the fairly restrictive four-hour tailgating window at FedEx Field.

"I think we're going to open at 12 for the opening game," Snyder said. "And we have some special stuff we are going to announce that we are doing in the parking lots."

To remind you, the opening game is a Sunday night meeting with the Cowboys scheduled for 8:20 or so. Opening the gates noon would provide more than eight hours of preparation time. Many fans prepare with certain canned liquids. That could get interesting. It will also be met with just about 100 percent approval from Redskins fans, I'm guessing.

On the other hand, when asked about moving back to the District, Snyder gave no reasons whatsoever for optimism.

"In terms of moving the stadium, FedEx Field is almost brand new," he said. "It still is a great stadium, great amenities. What we are doing is trying to modernize some of the stuff that in the last 10 years has really progressed technology-wise.

He also said he prides himself on "on making sure that the game day experience is really special. I did it and loved it and understand it." And he said the front-office has considered the idea of a preseason game at RFK, but because of the difference in seating capacities, "it doesn't really work."

The best quote, though, came when Snyder was asked about Albert Haynesworth's conditioning test.

"First of all, it is hard," Snyder told Hogs Haven. "A couple years back, I tell London Fletcher I am going to run this thing. He gets me a pair of cleats and I go out there and try to do it. I am no athlete. London was just about peeing his pants he was laughing so hard at me as I dry-heaved. I felt like I was going to die."

Read the entire interview here.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 4, 2010; 7:16 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Snyder wants to build Redskins museum
Next: Portis explains why he wasn't practicing

Comments

The full story is worth a read. I will warn ya though, it may make you feel bad for Dan Snyder.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 4, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Why would anyone want to bring their kids to a NFL game?

Posted by: sheepherder | August 4, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Despite the fact that it is blatantly obvious that the game day experience has gone down the crapper since Snyder bought the team, Snyder has the nerve to say he prides himself on "on making sure that the game day experience is really special."

Wow. He is even more delusional than I thought possible.

Posted by: Rocky420 | August 4, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

You could have a preseason game at RFK if you didn't force the 90,000 season-ticket holders to buy the preseason game tickets. You could probably sell out RFK just on the nostalgia factor.

Posted by: Cosmo06 | August 4, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

'Oh great no these morons have even more time to get drunk. Fedex is becoming less and less fan friendly and family friendly.

Why would anyone want to bring their kids to a NFL game?'

It is like this everywhere now. Just accept it, you can't bring your children to NFL games, unless you are okay with them being exposed to profanity, boorish behavior and potential fights (or definite fights if you're in Philadelphia). Anyone who brings a child younger than 11 to one of these games needs to check themselves.

Posted by: mtorioles | August 4, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I tend to agree. I will add that if you don't drink alcohol, it's hard to find someone who sells water or soda. It's SUPER easy to find someone who sells swill beer. They're everywhere. Just check the bathrooms or the ramps (among other places).

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | August 4, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Wow, talk about a bunch of wimpy dorks. "Oooh, alcohol is bad because I saw four people in my section who were drunk." Get off your high horses you losers and stop blaming others for your failure to raise your own children and teach them what's right and wrong. Gee, let me guess what political party you vote for...

An 8-hour tailgate means that much more time to see friends I haven't seen in months, hang out with colleagues and family, and actually have time to play games (no, not chugging games) instead of cooking food, setting up, and taking down. It will also significantly reduce the traffic flow for people who don't want to show up early to the game, so they will have a better experience.

So annoying to hear people cry about the drinking at FedEx, as if it's the first time ever that people drank at sporting events. It's been going on for decades...but it's clear you babies weren't exactly the athletic type.

I'll drink to that!

Posted by: Section104 | August 4, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

What a great PR move it would be if the Redskins played either a preseason or one regular season game every year at RFK. Imagine if they scheduled a Dallas game for a Monday night at RFK....tickets could be first come first serve. Of course will never happen with Snyder as owner.

Posted by: dbunkr | August 4, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Section104 must be the kind of "fan" that feels the need to get sloppy drunk ahead of time so he can miss a good football game. Fact is, with the NFL's pronounced policy of cracking down on drunks, fights, obscenities, wtc., Snyder's concept of making matters worse by providing more time for these nitwits to get tanked up is moronic. Guess what? It won't just be the Redskins fans that are getting silly drunk. It will be the Dallas fans. Or the Philly fans or whatever fans will fill 25% of the too large stadium. And that means more confrontations, fights, vomit, and other typical aspects of the "Game Day Experience" that make one reluctant to take kids or even women to a game. Way to go Snyder

Posted by: poguesmahone | August 4, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I'm all for nostalgia, but let's give up the RFK stuff. That stadium has long outlived its usefulness. If you want to talk about building a new stadium in DC, that's one thing. But playing a Redskins game at RFK would serve no useful purpose.

Posted by: poguesmahone | August 4, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I don't know about building a stadium that causes traffic problems in a city that already has traffic problems.

Posted by: 202character | August 4, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Oh, really? So his idea of a special game-day experience is ridiculous prices, drunk, out-of-control fans, and a sterile environment? Wow! I can't believe ANYTHING that comes from this man's mouth.

Posted by: stwasm | August 4, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I have to argee with those who believe that opening the parking lots 8 hours before kickoff is a bad idea.

I was six years old when I went to my first Redskins game and it is a shame that because of people who don't know how to conduct themselves in public that nobody in their right mind would take a six year old to a game today.

Posted by: CapsNut | August 4, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 202character | August 4, 2010 11:01 AM

On Sundays?

10 games a year?

Adjacent (not one mile, like FedEx) from Metro?

With streetcars serving that area (eventually)?

With an exit from the Southeast Freeway directly into the stadium lots?

The public transportation unfriendly FedEx clogs the Beltway for hours before and after games. I'd say moving into the city would actually HELP regional traffic, not hurt it.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Blah...blah...blah...tailgating is a big part of gameday. If you don't like the festivities, don't go. Personally, I don't see why you would spend so much money to take your kids to a game they barely understand anyway. What's the fun in sitting in a seat for hours where you can't participate. I don't think the kids care either way...keep the kids out of this argument. It's really those controlling adults who complain about everything who are against this! Those boring half-time shows are a result of those complaining, wound-too-tight adults.

Posted by: nancyholly | August 4, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I somewhat agree w/ Kev29. Perhaps Danny Boy can fund a Metro stop at the other end of the RFK site so there would be two stops there. Riders going toward PG County could use the new stop; others would use the existing Stadium/Armory stop.

Posted by: luv2bikva | August 4, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Leave the kids with your parents. FedEx Field is not an amusement park. The majority of fans who attend, home or away team, are just looking to have a good time and to hopefully celebrate victory. If you can't handle that kind of atmosphere, stay home.

Posted by: novaprogressive | August 4, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Sec 104
Punk Sorry to disappoint your drunk arse but I have never voted for a Dem for prez.
So stop assuming things. You know what happens when you assume. I went my first Redskin game in 1969 lets see I was 10yo. I understood the game then nancyholly and could name all the starting players on both teams little girl! Shame the peroxide ate your brain!!!

I like to drink friends of mine make some the best untaxed corn liquor in the country. I grow organic grapes for a local winemaker on top of my hills on my 1000acres. My wine cellar is the size of a nice corporate suite at Fedex

I would like to be able to take my step grandson to a game and not have to worry about l*mp d**k no load little boys who miss the frat days.

And I agree with Wilbon lets ban alcohol sales and possession at MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL games.

D*mn I wonder if PG County knows how much revenue they are lsoing by not running sobreity check points after the games!

Posted by: sheepherder | August 5, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse