Dexter Manley says he could pass the Haynesworth test, will make Hall of Fame

(1988 photo by Rusty Kennedy - AP)

In the interests of those of you sick of Haynesworth posts, I'll do the Hall of Fame stuff first. This comes, obviously, from Monday's Mike Wise Show, and it concerns Manley's worthiness for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

"I think that deservedly I should be there, but I think my day is gonna come," Manley said, after discussing Russ Grimm's upcoming induction. "I don't know when. I just hope that I'm here, present, and I can be here when that day happens. It will happen, no question. If you look at the defensive ends that's been in the Hall of Fame, the only one that has better numbers than me sack-wise is Reggie White."

Love Dexter. Love him. But I don't think I'd wait by the phone. Speaking of which, Wise asked Manley what advice he'd give to our favorite current defensive lineman, and Manley got all deep again.

"Hey man, father time is knocking on the door," Manley advised. "This career is short. It's short-lived. A blink of the eye, it's over. And don't let football use you, you use football.

"And I think he's going about it the wrong way. I would just say, 'Hey man, you have to be dedicated to this sport, and that means on and off the field.' Like I told you, these guys want to go get more women than they want to get to the quarterback. The point I'm saying, I guess what I would say to Albert is, where's his dedication? What does he really want out of life?

"Because when it's all over, when he looks back 15, 20 years from now, and all that money he had -- hopefully he'll have it, I'd like to think that he'll have it -- but you can never go out here in this private sector and get a deal like that. Everybody's looking to hit a home run like this guy with the Nationals, whatever, Zimmer, he likes to hit those home runs. Every former player wants to hit a home run out here, because they want to relate it to football. It just doesn't happen."

Whoever's in charge of these things, can you sign Dexter up for his WaPo blog already? Look, he just compared Albert Haynesworth leaving football and trying to hit a home run in the private sector with Zimmer. We need more of this, not less.

As for the conditioning test, "hey man, I could go out there today and do that," Manley said. He's 51. If he tries, and there's video, I'm game.

"Football is a 12-month sport, and it takes a certain amount of willingness, and you have to be prepared to have the willingness," Manley continued. "And I think Haynesworth has probably done something, but it's very little, and I think he has to be on board....Ever since Snyder probably owned this franchise, there's always different rules for different players, different people. Shanahan, he's a well-established coach, he's got a great staff with him, and so they had to sort of break the ice of these players being prima donnas. They run upstairs and they go talk to Snyder, they talk to Vinny [Cerrato], and this stuff was going on even when the great legend Joe Gibbs was here. He couldn't control them.

"So this guy is ruling with the iron hand...and I think that's necessary if you're going to have cohesiveness, if everybody's gonna get on the same page and go out and try to get this Lombardi Trophy. Now, Albert Haynesworth decided within the rules that if it wasn't mandatory, that he didn't want to show up for the OTAs. That's fine. But at least show up then in some kind of football shape."

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 3, 2010; 12:48 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins training camp fashion
Next: New orb sculpture coming to Nationals Park

Comments

gotta Love Dexter. He's seen and done it all, been through so much. Thin Albert should heed his wise words. Mr. Buttersworth, now Mr. Shuttlesworth, better get on the ball and get the Skins on full throttle by opening night so they can paste prettyboy QB into the ground. And any Dallas frontrunners reading this who have no connection to Dallas or the team can eat it! Soon, the Skins and Giants will be ruling the EAST again!

Posted by: terptek | August 3, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Dexter isn't even in the top 10 DE sack leaders, or top 20 overall. I loved watching him play, and he's a great interview... but he's off base on that one.

Posted by: supadupa1 | August 3, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Dexter is my favorite all-time Redskin.

Some of my favorite childhood memeories are of Dexter Manley and the Redskins.

- Ray

16 Greg Townsend 109
17 Pat Swilling 107
18 Trace Armstrong 106
19 Kevin Carter 104
Neil Smith 104

Posted by: goose33 | August 3, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Dexter was the man, is the man and will always be the man. Don't care what they say in Canton. Williams is gonna have to be a beast to live up to #72 on his jersey.

Posted by: nonsensical2001 | August 3, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Dexter is always entertaining.

Posted by: Dash10 | August 3, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Terptek, why do you like the Giants?

It's true, Zimmer likes to hit those home runs.

Posted by: 202character | August 3, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

202character,
I'm a former Nyer, luv the Giants, used to respect the healthy rivalry with the Skins since I've been down here from '90 (so I know the Skins too), despise the Cowgirls and Eagles, want the Skins and Giants to dominate the Cowgirls and Eagles again. Usually, Skins and Giants split 1-1 most years. I'm no frontrunner bandwagoner, swore allegiance to the G-Men when I got Norm snead's autograph from the sorry Giants teams of the 70s. But I do hope shanny lifts the Skins out of the morass Danny had them in for 10+ years. It's too tough seeing my softball buds sorrows all the time! gotta bring some joy to the area again :) best of luck and may the best team (Skins or Giants) pummel prettyboy Rhomo)

Posted by: terptek | August 3, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Good old Dexter !!! He is still tied for number 12 in single season sacks. The year: 1984 - 18 1/2 sacks !!!! ( and he had 15 sacks in 1985 too ! - Thats 33 1/2 sacks in 2 years - as Adam Sandler would say "not too shabby" )

Posted by: US-conscience | August 3, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

by the way, he is # 25 in career sacks with 97 1/2

Posted by: US-conscience | August 3, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

This is priceless.

Posted by: mharman1 | August 3, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Dex, you're not going to the HoF. I'd say that of the Redskins of that era, Dave Butz, Joe Jacoby and Mark Moseley are more worthy than Dexter.

Posted by: randysbailin | August 3, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Dexter also had alot of help from his fellow linemen! Loved that Pettibone scheme also! Aaah the days of yesteryear!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | August 3, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Talk's cheap Dexter.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | August 3, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

IT'S A REAL SHAME BECAUSE HAD DEXTER STAYED OFF DRUGS, HE WOULD BE GOING TO THE HOF. NOT ONLY THAT, RIGHT BEFORE HE WAS TOSSED HE HAD SO MANY RADIO, TV, AND CONTRACT PAY DAYS AND ENDORSEMENTS LINED UP - IT WAS SICK WHAT HE LOST. LOTS OF MONEY AND A TRIP TO CANTON.

Posted by: artsnsportz | August 4, 2010 4:18 AM | Report abuse