Donovan McNabb Eagles jerseys at FedEx Field

There were hundreds and hundreds of burgundy and gold No. 5 jerseys in FedEx Field on Saturday night. There were as many if not more No. 5 jerseys in whatever the Ravens call their dreadful color scheme. And yet there was another set of folks wearing No. 5 jerseys for a team that wasn't even playing in that stadium on that night.

Yes, the McNabulists were out in force, Eagles fans who retain such a fierce loyalty to Donovan McNabb that they're willing to root for an NFC East rival so long as it's not against Philadelphia.

"I'll root for him except for the two games they play against the Eagles," said Victor Harmon, one of at least 10 people I saw wearing Eagles McNabb gear inside The Fed. "I'm a Philly fan, and I'm a McNabb guy. Most Philly guys didn't like McNabb, but I just think he's a classy guy and a good quarterback."

Wandering through stadiums, you often see random jerseys with no connection to the game at hand, jerseys for the Cowboys or Falcons, the Steelers or Browns. This was different. These jerseys were sending a message.

"I'm a Philadelphia fan, but I'm a bigger McNabb fan," said Kelly Lawrence, 49, of Hampton. "To be honest with you, if it's not Philadelphia, I'd rather see McNabb get a ring, even with Washington."

"That works for me," said Doug Newbill, a Redskins fan who brought Lawrence to the game.

"As long as it's not with the Cowboys, I'm ok," Lawrence clarified.

"That's why I brought him," Newbill said, almost giddy at the idea of an Eagles fan rooting for the Redskins.

It's sort of a strange thing, huh? I can't think of a current Washington athlete who would carry his fanbase with him if he joined a rival team. Maybe Ovechkin, I guess, but I don't know of many Ovie fans who would root for, say, the Flyers to win a Stanley Cup no matter what ex-Caps were on their roster. Wizards fans were given a similar test with Antawn Jamison this year, and I don't think any of them were hoping for a Cavs championship. But the McNabb loyalists went through a lot with their guy, and they aren't done yet.

"I'm an Eagles fan, and I'm bitterly conflicted," said Lisa Struckmeyer, an Eagles fan attending her first NFL game. "The Redskins are my mortal enemy since childhood, so I'm sitting here in conflict."

"It feels like Donovan McNabb is a part of our family almost, so we follow him wherever he goes," said her son, Matthew, aged 11.

His mom was wearing a McNabb throwback -- "she was around when they were wearing those jerseys, she's not as young as she looks," Matthew told me -- to try to disguise it's Eagleness, but she said no one had given her any problems. Others said the same.

"If I was wearing a Redskins jersey at the Linc, I'd probably already have been in two fights and be soaked in beer," said Sam Whitfield of the District, who was wearing McNabb's Eagles shirt.

So why was he at a Redskins-Ravens game wearing white and green?

"I root for McNabb to do well and for the Redskins to fail," he said. "He's not the whole team. It takes more than one player, right?"

Of course, even among the McNabulists, there were some cynics. Steve Davidock is an Eagles fan from Western Pennsylvania who was in town visiting his father-in-law; he called himself "a big McNabb fan," but that loyalty has its limits.

"[Philly] hates him, because he didn't win a Super Bowl," Davidock said. "Good luck, Washington," he added with a smile.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 23, 2010; 11:43 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brett Favre bumped Mike Shanahan from Sunday Night Football
Next: Rob Dibble to Stephen Strasburg: "Suck it up"

Comments

I'm honestly at a loss for words about this. I don't know how I would feel if someone of real value & was a Redskin for years went to an opposing NFC East team.

Posted by: JulzDC | August 23, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

So does Philly then hate all their players, since NONE of them ever won (or will ever win) a Superbowl? *wink*

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | August 23, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

They do, JohnnyBlades, they do. As much as they hate the opposing team, Philly fans hate their own team even more.

Posted by: doubleuefwhy | August 23, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chopin224 | August 23, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chopin224 | August 23, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse
-------

Agree but he's still and always will be a Redskin because he spent the majority of his career with us.

Posted by: JulzDC | August 23, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm a REDSKINS fan. And I remember No 5 kicking our booty regularly. I'm thrilled he is onour team!

Posted by: humbleandfree | August 23, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm a REDSKINS fan. And I remember No 5 kicking our booty regularly. I'm thrilled he is on our team!

Posted by: humbleandfree | August 23, 2010 2:34 PM
-------------------------------------------

And therein lies the problem with Redskins fans. He's Phillys QB even playing with the Redskins.

Posted by: jbworldwide | August 23, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jbworldwide | August 23, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

No one will mind anymore if he wins us a superbowl..

Posted by: alex35332 | August 23, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

___________________

Say what? I've been a skins fan all my life but I can't bring myself to wear the woeful burgundy and cheese yellow. Can we please change our colors to maroon and black?

Posted by: richs91 | August 23, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

===========================================

At the rate our team dispatches players we should never have to worry about that. I would probably feel this way if it was Orakpo, Cooley or even L. Fletch (even though he isn't ours either) we need to build a team of our own so it would matter to us if they left.

Posted by: Hackersk | August 23, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

"People apparently have forgotten Art Monk played for the Eagles. I still thought a great deal of him and still do."

Sure. But did you hope that if the Redskins couldn't win the Super Bowl the Eagles would because of Monk?

Posted by: zimbar | August 23, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

A Philadelphia Eagle is quarterbacking our Redskins.

Art Monk built his HOF career with the Skins, and was a Redskin playing for the Eagles.

Donovan McNabb built a possible HOF career with the Eagles, and is playing out his career with the Skins.

Do you think most people equate Michael Jordan with the Bulls--or with the Wizards?

Posted by: Alan4 | August 23, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking for a Fetcher jersey. Does anybody know why they're not available?

Posted by: getitritegov | August 23, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking for a Fetcher jersey. Does anybody know why they're not available?

Posted by: getitritegov

If you mean Fletcher the NFL Shop has them... http://www.nflshop.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3123508&CAWELAID=216371384

Posted by: LaureninGlenBurnie | August 23, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Dan,
This goes completely against the narrative of Philly fans hating everything.

Bravo for realizing they're just as diverse and multi-faceted as any other group of several hundred thousand people.

Posted by: KeithMcMillan | August 23, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking for a Fetcher jersey. Does anybody know why they're not available?

Posted by: getitritegov

Posted by: LaureninGlenBurnie | August 23, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Thanks laureninglenburnie. There were no Fletcher jerseys on the Redskins website or at the closest Redskins store. I believe that London Fletcher is a model Redskin on and off the field and it's regrettable that he spent 4 years with the Rams and 5 years with the Bills instead of with the Redskins. He's in my opinion the face of the franchise. I'd like to see more fans with Fetcher jerseys on at the games. Thanks again. I'll check the nflshop.

Posted by: getitritegov | August 23, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

i'm a lifelong philly fan, but redskins were always my second favorite. Glad Donovan is in DC. He's all class and a great QB. I wish he'd win a superbowl, as then he might make it to the HOF. He deserves it. Good luck skins.

Posted by: jamesk84 | August 24, 2010 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Enjoy Donovan. Just wait until he comes off the field smiling after he throws a pick and starts playing the Air Guitar on the sideline. The guy had some good years but can't win under pressure. I'd rather have Fat Albert

Posted by: Kevin_Kolb | August 24, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse