Everyone has an opinion on Haynesworth

My daughter's preschool is closed on Wednesday, which means I'm not getting much done. But a lot of famous people have had things to say about Albert Haynesworth in recent days, believe it or not, so I figure I'd better put a mega-Albert-nonsense item together.

Warren Sapp, to FanHouse:

"[Albert's] wrong. He knows he is. He's not in his first year. He's not in his fifth year. He knows exactly what he's doing. This is a man who stepped on another man's face on the football field one time...."

"The check isn't going to change. And that's the whole key to this situation. He doesn't care how many plays he plays. The plays that I'm watching he's just jumping to one side ripping. I mean, he has no awareness of where the ball is. He doesn't care. So if we're talking about evaluation of his play compared to the check that he's getting, he knows what it is. 'I get eight plays and a big check, that's not bad.' It's wrong, though."

Richie Petitbon, ESPN 980's The Sports Fix:

"At times he has proven that he can play football, but if you look over his history, the guy has had problems -- a lot of problems -- in most places that he's played, at different times where he's played. Number 1, they gave him too much money, and that's probably part of the problem right now. But I think you have to stay away from people like that. I think you win with character, and I don't think this guy has the proper character. I wouldn't want him in my locker room....I really think you win with good people more than anything else, and bad people, they have a way of spreading discontent among the locker room, and you wind up losing."

Herm Edwards, ESPN Radio:

"I think Coach Shanahan realizes that this guy can be a dominant player when he wants to...but obviously he fatigues at time during football games, and that's kind of been his history. The fatigue is an issue. And if you as a head coach understand I've got a dominant player here and I don't want this guy standing next to me in the fourth quarter on the sideline, I've got to get him in shape....

"I think Mike is making a statement not only to Albert, but he's made the statement to his football team: I understand that when you're a good player you've got an ego. I get that part. I mean, they all do. But your ego can't be bigger than this football team....

"Albert has to realize something. When he signed on and he signed that contract, he's a little bit obligated not so much to the Redskins, but to those players in that locker room that play for the Redskins. All of the sudden this becomes a distraction to that locker room. Players go to practice, after practice, first thing they ask about, well what about Albert. They've gone through this already. This should be done with. I mean, he should be ready to play football now and get himself in shape so he can help these guys win football games."

Santana Moss, SIRIUS XM's Mad Dog Radio:

"I'm big on not speaking on other people's situations so I'm not gonna go too far with it but one thing I can say is that the only thing Coach Shanahan is doing right now, he's already said it before Haynesworth was even here, that the way we do things around here now is the way he does it. Meaning he's the head man in charge so he's going to do things the way he normally does it....

"So I feel like he handled the situation to the best of his ability. He's the head coach. He said, 'Hey, I want to see him out there,' so he put him out there. I feel like this whole situation is blown out of proportion because there's so much that went on after the fact that Haynesworth got here. I think Haynesworth's a great guy, he's a great player, he's going to be a great player for us. I just think that him and Coach need to get on the same page, and I mean that by Haynesworth getting on the same page with Coach...."

"If you're the boss, call the shots and I'm gonna run them. So I feel like we were missing that in the past couple of years because guys did their own thing and that was some of the reasons of us not being as sharp as we normally were when we had winning seasons. So I feel like when you have a guy like Coach Shanahan, he has the winning thing down pat, he won Super Bowls, he did all the things that we're trying to do, I feel like you can't do nothing but let him come in here and do what he knows, and that's run this team."

Bill Cowher, The Sporting News:

"Mike [Shanahan] is doing what he needs to do and handling it real well. As a new coach there, he has to take the rest of his players into consideration....It's more than just about reaching an individual. He's sending a good message to the team."

Chris Cooley, The Scott Van Pelt Show:

"Albert's here every day and he's doing his deal. Guys kind of have to go about their own business. You can't look at that and say he's acting out of line. We just come, we show up to work. It's a new offense for me, I'm coming off an injury, I don't have time for that. I don't have time to worry about what he's doing or what people are saying about it. I'm just here to get better....

"You've just got to have the guy to be a little bit self-motivated, and I'm not saying that he's not, but that's what you need. This is a professional business, we're all grown men, and there has to be some level of self-motivation and want-to."

Darrell Green, ESPN 980's John Thompson Show:

"Obviously you've got the one distraction, but trust me, there's a distraction in everybody's life, everybody's team, everybody's job. There's some bonehead on a day-to-day basis, and sometimes it can change. They try to compare this to Dexter and big No. 44. Man, trust me, big No. 44, I had no problem with him. I had no problem with big No. 72. I don't think I would have a problem with big No. 92, because you just move on. Let's go. Let's go. And you know what, when the train leaves the station, I believe this guy is gonna wake up and be ready to go."

Laveranues Coles, ESPN New York:

"I'm very thankful to Daniel Snyder [for] building my home down in Jacksonville," said Coles, referring to his 25,000-square foot mansion. "That's about it."

Whoops! Wrong topic.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 25, 2010; 9:08 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: LaRon Landry is enormous
Next: Redskins preseason games earn monster ratings

Comments

I'm thankful we traded Coles for Santana Moss!

Posted by: isonic1 | August 25, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Ha. Well played, sir...

Posted by: crashinghero | August 25, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I don't get this idea constantly proclaimed that FA is a major talent. I have not seen it. All I see is a guy who is bigger than everyone else. He is not the best lineman on the team let alone the league. One thing he does well is work the system to make money. Can't blame him for that. Snyder just proves the old adage a foll and his money are soon parted and FA was the way he lost his money. If this thinks he should have been on the 1st team, why didn't he dominate the subs while he was in?

Posted by: chopin224 | August 25, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Richie Petitbon? We're asking for Richie Petitbon's opinion now?

This has officially gone too far.

Posted by: StuScott_Booyahs | August 25, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Classic....another over-paid malcontent that stole Danny Boy's loot and by extension the fans that Danny Boy continually rapes via ticket prices, parking and concessions among other things.
Thata boy, Danny!

Posted by: Riddler1 | August 25, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

"This is a man who stepped on another man's face on the football field..."

Warren sounds jealous that he never thought of that one himself.

The difference between Warren and Albert is that Warren's dirty plays ended peoples' seasons, and he celebrates over the people after he does them. Kill yourself

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | August 25, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

"I don't get this idea constantly proclaimed that FA is a major talent. I have not seen it."

When he was with the Titans, he really was a dominant run-stopper, and drew double teams constantly.

He hasn't always been just a big guy. At Titans Pro Day, he had some great measurables including a 39-inch vertical leap which is insane for his size. 4.8 in the 40, which you don't see from a lot of 300+ pound guys.

Posted by: 202character | August 25, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Cole's statement is funny! Didn't Snyder offer to buy him a big screen tv to watch his team on when he wouldn't report? Coles is the only receiver I have ever known who complained that Gibbs was throwing to him too much.

Posted by: JAMNEW | August 25, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Coles' statement is hilarious, but....yeah. Whatever, Laveraneus. Thanks for all those monster numbers you put up while you were here...or not.

That being said, I think I'm to the point now where they would just cut Tubby and move on. I hate to agree with Vinny the Weasel on anything, but he IS a distraction. Excuse me while I now kill myself for agreeing with Vinny.

Posted by: RCBJr | August 25, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RCBJr | August 25, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

202 character:
You are right but that was then and this is now.

Posted by: chopin224 | August 25, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I agree, I haven't really seen anything out of Haynesworth recently that says "star player" to me. He might have been good, or even great, in Tennessee, but he's done exactly bupkiss since arriving in DC. Like Janet said, "what have you done for me lately?"

Posted by: RCBJr | August 25, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Ritchie Petitbon!!!!!!

C'mon Man!

Posted by: rickyroge | August 25, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

What is wrong with Ritchie Petitbon's opinion. Good to hear from him again. Yes, as a head coach he did not produce. But he is arguably the best defensive cordinater of all time for the skins. He was very much a part of those three Super Bowl trophies. People who have no respect for him either have short memories or are too young to remember.... Or just haters. Which would not be a suprise.

Posted by: hailtotheskinsalways | August 25, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Chopin, I agree. He has in large part let his talent go to waste, and hasn't shown this offseason that he can get back to form or is willing to put in the work to do so.

Posted by: 202character | August 25, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm thankful we traded Coles for Santana Moss!

Posted by: isonic1 | August 25, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Well, at least it's not all AH all the time now. And seriously, where does this anti-Coles sentiment come from? Does anyone think Moss is a #1? Did Coles do anything to his team or the fans? This was a pissing contest with Snyder, and Coles essentially won.

So we never got the Dalai Lama to comment on AH?

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 25, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Snyder is a damn fool

Posted by: 202character | August 25, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

and who said football players were stupid?

Posted by: 44fx2901 | August 25, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Richie Pettibone was 50% responsible for 3 superbowl winning teams as a defensive coordinator. Joe Gibbs has stated publicly that he never had control of the defense (GW had complete control from 04-08). As a head coach in 1993, he was given a decript roster, a gimpy quarterback, and fired after only one season when they went 4-12.

I understand the need to rebulid at the end of the Hogs/80's teams reign, but I would have loved to have seen Pettibone rather than Norv in charge of the process. As it stands, to me he remains one of the most underrated Redskin greats and I will listen to his opinions any day of the week.

Posted by: jbanks979 | August 25, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse