Goodbye to Zack Bolno, for now

For longtime readers of this Bog, this is all you have to know about Zack Bolno; He once set up a dinner for me, Oleksiy Pecherov and Harvey Grant at a Russian restaurant in Las Vegas. That one was so far outside the box it landed in a bowl of borscht. But Zack was always game both for the fun stuff and the serious stuff, no matter what organization you represented, no matter how or when you asked. Zack was definitely one of the first PR people in town to go out of his way to help an idiot blogger like me back when I first started this thing, and the good-natured help continued through Saturday, his last day before being fired by the Redskins.

I know this stuff is of marginal interest to most readers, but the media folks all spend a lot of time around the city's PR people, so it matters quite a bit to us. And media folks love Zack Bolno. So if you'll humor me, I've collected many of the Sunday tweets regarding Zack's dismissal.

Peter King, Sports Illustrated: Don't know what Zack Bolno did to deserve whacking in Wash, though I can guess. But he's one of the best PR men I've ever dealt with. Sad.

(King also mentioned Zack in his column, pointing out that the Eagles, Cowboys and Giants haven't changed PR directors since 2000, while the Redskins have had seven people in the job since that time.)

Pablo Torre, Sports Illustrated: Seconded.

Chris Mortensen, ESPN: Let me also chime in on sudden departure of Zack Bolno from Redskins PR staff: VERY DISAPPOINTING.

Ross Tucker, SI.com: I second this.

Steve Wyche, NFL.com: My two cents worth too: Zack Bolno = Total class. Great, great guy. Hate to see him gone. Rt there with you Mort. Very disappointing.

Seth Wickersham, ESPN The Magazine: Sad about Zach Bolno being fired in Washington. One of the best PR guys I've ever worked with.

David Elfin, AOL FanHouse: Zack Bolno's firing by the #Redskins is a travesty, especially this close to the start of the season when all NFL jobs are filled ...

Nischelle Turner, Fox Sports: Just heard my friend/collegue Zach Bolno was fired frm the Redskins PR Dept. Bad move Skins. Professionally 1 of THE best. Personally: a gem

Bob Glauber, Newsday: This one hurts: My good buddy Zack Bolno has been pushed out the door in Washington. Excellent PR man caught up in Redskins' vortex. Sigh....Anyone needing a reference on Zack Bolno can contact me any time. Class act. Everything a PR person should be ... that is all.

Judy Battista, New York Times: Sorry to hear that Zack Bolno is out as the head of the Redskins PR dept. He was a real pro under often difficult circumstances there.

Albert Breer, Boston Globe: Zack Bolno, in my time at Sporting News and now w/Globe, was awesome to deal with. Saw the Redskins through a very tough time.

Rick Stroud, St. Petersburg Times: NO finer PR pro than Zack Bolno, who abruptly left Redskins.

Rick Maese, Washington Post: On personal note, Bolno was often a big help during a difficult stretch of team history. Good at his job and I'm sure he'll land on his feet

Paul Tenorio, Washington Post: Just heard about Zack Bolno leaving. He was always great to work with and great to deal with. Am sure he'll land on his feet somewhere soon.

Mike Jones, TBD: I'll miss Zack Bolno, no longer w Skins PR. complete class act. helped me learn pro sports coverage when i started out on the Wiz beat in 08

Samuel Chamberlain, TBD: Only knew Zack Bolno for a very short time, but he was always very good to me. He'll be missed by everyone who covers the Redskins.

Rich Campbell, Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star: Shoutout to Zack Bolno, who has left Redskins PR. He always tried to ensure small newspapers like mine got equal treatment. He'll be missed

Rick Snider, Washington Examiner: Redskins PR man Zack Bolno leaves. 1 of best I've worked with in 32 years.

John Keim, Washington Examiner: The Redskins lose PR types all the time; but Bolno worked awfully hard and was accommodating. didn't play favorites.

Kevin Ewoldt, Hogs Haven: Late to the game, but Zack Bolno gave me my 1st access & credential to Redskins camp last year. Forever grateful & wish him the best.

Chris Miller, Comcast SportsNet: Just heard about my good friend Zack Bolno. When one door closes another opens. Praying for u buddy.

Kelli Johnson, Comcast SportsNet: He deserves better; Skins throwing another good guy under the bus!

Gary Bender, Comcast SportsNet: Bolno was a good guy, definitely made my job a bit easier... he'll be missed out in Ashburn

Ivan Carter, Comcast SportsNet: Bummer about Skins PR man Zach Bolno. A really good dude.

Chick Hernandez, Comcast SportsNet: Damn shame!!!! Not his fault.

Britt McHenry, WJLA: Zack Bolno is a great person and press representative.

Bruce Rader, WAVY: Redskins fire their Media guy Zack Bolno. I liked Zack, and this is not surprising as this happens every 2 years.

Chris Russell, ESPN 980: Wow! Redskins organization just took a major hit with Zack Bolno leaving. We had some early battles, but I had a ton of respect for him....A very unpopular decision based on players I have spoken with.

Lauren Houlon, ESPN 980: GREAT PR Guy! Zack helped me get into this industry & has supported my work every since. Thank you Zack!

Sky Kerstein, 106.7 The Fan: Sorry to hear about Zack Bolno, one of the real good guys in the industry, really too bad.

Grant Paulsen, 106.7 The Fan: Redskins media members will miss Zack Bolno. Very good guy and easy to work with. Somebody's PR staff will be getting an upgrade real soon.

Todd Wright, Sporting News Radio: As a Cowboy fan, I'm supposed to hate the Redskins. But I REALLY hate that today they fired longtime friend & respected PR man, Zack Bolno.

Mike Ryan, Dan LeBatard Show: Why did Zack Bolno lose his job with the Redskins? That guy's phone should be blowing up with offers already. Solid PR person.

Mike Prada, SB Nation: Former Wizards PR director Zack Bolno just got abruptly fired by the Redskins. A complete shock. Feel terrible for him.

Lisa Pagano, formerly of Washington Nationals: Sorry to hear about Zach Bolno - had a chance to work with him a few times over the years, always a great help.

Michael Hogan, University of South Florida: It's a shame of what the Washington Redskins did to PR guru Zack Bolno. He is a class guy and a credit to the profession.

Diane Chesebrough, Football News Now: Zack Bolno is a great guy. Can't imagine Redskins Park without him.

Warpath Confidential: Best wishes to departing #Redskins PR Zack Bolno, who deserves better. Great PR guy. Leonsis - are you paying attention? Hire Zack.

SB Nation DC: Want to wish Zack Bolno luck. The Redskins PR team and the franchise as a whole will miss him.

SkinsCast: Zack Bolno was a stand-up guy. By far the best PR guy we've worked with Redskins. Too bad they turn over so quickly in this business.

Real Redskins: Zack Bolno deserves kudos for going through the Jerry Gray interviewing for Jim Zorn's job fiasco, among many other issues.

Craig Mish, former co-worker: If there is an NFL, MLB or NBA team out there that wants the best...you go get Zach Bolno. End of story.

Phillip Daniels, Redskins: Dang I'm going to miss Zack Bolno. One of my all time favorite people. Thanks for all you have done for my family.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 22, 2010; 5:02 PM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jim Zorn's postgame Gatorade shower
Next: "Hail to the Redskins" and that Ravens touchdown

Comments

So what's Peter King's guess? What happened to this guy?

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 22, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

My guess was that Bolno got fired over the media talking to Haynesworth last night and those comments getting out - also the media (especially DC media) making it so much bigger than it was (Haynesworth was not "going off" - he was being sarcastic but going off in my mind is yelling, cursing, throwing things). He was very softspoken.

However, I tweeted this opinion as it related to Zack's firing and Rick Maese shot me down...said the firing had absolutely nothing to do with Albert.

Will we ever know?

Posted by: Lisa_R | August 22, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Zack is a class act through and through. Whoever snatches him up will have made the best business decision of the year. Mr. Snyder: boooooo to you.

Posted by: haydenmac | August 22, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Lisa,
To me that seems a logical reason. Not sure what else it could be as there has been few stories out there that could make the skins look bad.

Maybe they were hoping that this billboard advertising campaign would be more successful.
Would this be a Bruce Allen call or higher up?

Posted by: alex35332 | August 22, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

I miss the days when these hirings and firings never made the news and every word a presser wasn't a headline. I'm a Skins junky. But until PFT and blogs - which I read like a addict because I want to know things like who is injured, stats, trades and so on - we never knew more than what we read in a few newspaper columns and what we saw on the Sunday AM pregrame shows. Not much info other than the basics. So now I'm feeling icky about the Redskins, like they're still a sick organization, but are they really? At my office three to four people lose their jobs every year. It sucks but it's par of the corporate cycle. Our clients never know. I'm a Redskins client. I know too much! Anyway, sorry for Zack. No one should ever lose a gig.

Posted by: kmag1 | August 22, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I miss the days when these hirings and firings never made the news and every word of a presser wasn't a headline. I'm a Skins junky. But until PFT and blogs - which I read like a addict because I want to know things like who is injured, stats, trades and so on - we never knew more than what we read in a few newspaper columns and what we saw on the Sunday AM pregrame shows. Not much info other than the basics. I love the info overload in the digital age. But what is valid and what isn't as a fan? U mean that they had a lousy game where they were manhandled, par for the course in Skins nation, now I'm feeling like they're still a sick organization. But are they really? Maybe the guy stole a boatload of stationary or hit on an intern? At my office three to four people lose their jobs every year. It sucks but it's par of the corporate cycle. Our clients never know. I'm a Redskins client. I know too much! Anyway, sorry for Zack. No one should ever lose a gig.

Posted by: kmag1 | August 22, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

My guess is Shanny wanted him gone and I'm sure Allen doesn't mind hiring his own guys.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 22, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

"For longtime readers of this Bog, this is all you have to know about Zack Bolno"

You are a frik'n *blog* writer that can't even proofread! So your crying farewell to this Zak zack whatever is an insult of sorts. The talent you show in this is that, yes, HE should have stayed on and you not. Dolt. Sheet stain moron.

Posted by: SelfImportantlikeyou | August 22, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SelfImportantlikeyou | August 22, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Whoa, hold your horses there, Captain Insult! Scroll up, and you'll notice that you're actually reading the D.C. Sports Bog, homey. It's been called that for quite a while.

So, uh, quit tagging on Steinberg & go back to combing the web for typos and insulting complete strangers about something you're actually wrong about....

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | August 23, 2010 3:33 AM | Report abuse

"Selfimportantlikeyou" - shut up and go sit in the corner you dunce.

its called the DC Sports Bog. Not Blog. Bog.

read it again - Bog. not Blog.

It has nothing to do with proofreading and everything to do with the NAME OF THE BLOG.

Now go jump in front of a moving truck. You'll be doing everyone a favor.

Posted by: JMW4th | August 23, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

@ JMW4th

Respect

Posted by: goose33 | August 23, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Snyder, is that you?

Posted by: jonzie | August 23, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Selfimportant just selfdestructed. He's obviously a newbie who doesn't read Steinberg very often if he called him out on "Bog". I agree, he should sit in the corner, read and learn.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | August 23, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

This says it all about the Redskins under Danny Boy-

The Redskins organization died when JKC
passed away.

Posted by: Riddler1 | August 23, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Well that's peachy that all of these media types liked the guy. But not ONE of THEM has apparently found out WHY he was let go. And that includes Steinberg.

Posted by: poguesmahone | August 23, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Riddler1,

Maybe they have found out and have been asked by him not to post it as of yet. Maybe there is something else going on we don't know about. I've never met the guy and don't know him but it's interesting so many people have come out to support him including players.

Posted by: franky4fingers | August 23, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Frankly, the praise being heaped upon this guy by the media makes me suspicious of the guy.

Posted by: poguesmahone | August 23, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I worked for the Skins for a short time in 2008 before I was laid off during the October 2008 credit crunch. The Skins are an absolute nightmare of an organization to work for. It all starts at the top and sh*t runs downhill: Snyder, as an a-hole, hires a-holes, and they all hire a-holes. I never met Zack but I'm glad I never had a position with the team directly accountable to someone in the front office like Zack's position was. I would have gone insane.

BTW, the team still owes me all the unpaid overtime they illegally withheld from me.

Posted by: MACCHAMPS04 | August 23, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

And ESPN980's Sports Reporters dumped a call around 5:50 today which dared mention that the guy was fired after Haynesworth's remarks on Saturday. You could hear it if you were on hold. Hilarious. "Oh, no, Mr. Snyder, don't worry, we won't let the littles talk about what a vindictive schmuck you are."

Posted by: Gunga2009 | August 23, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Zack is one the few that take people for people and not objects. I met him in the Wixards organization and was so very sad when he was lured away. But, Zacks grows with every experience, and I am sure he will survive the "DEADSKIN MANAGEMENT". Zack, best wishes to you and I will always love you. Mama Jones

Posted by: hme4u | August 23, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse