"Hail to the Redskins" and that Ravens touchdown

(By Jonathan Newton - TWP)

There were a lot of positive changes to FedEx Field, which I'll mention in a later item. But one part of Saturday night's operation seemed to bother an inordinate number of people: the untimely playing of "Hail to the Redskins."

The fight song used to only be played after the Redskins scored, according to longtime fans. Some of these fans have been complaining to me for more than a year that those days are gone, and that the team started playing the tune at random times. Here's an Extreme Skins thread from after the Bills preseason game:

Hail to the Redskins is not some Billboard top 50 hit, to be played at ones leisure. As long as I can remember, the song is played in its entirety, without commercial interruption following a TD. An abbreviated first verse only, following a field goal. Who gave the green light to change the tradition?

Well, that's really for the diehards to decide. But I think everyone realizes that you don't play your fight song after the other team scores.

And yet that's what happened after the Ravens' first-half touchdown on Saturday, the one following the fake punt. The music played (not from the band), and the words flashed on the giant boards, and everyone was like, huh? Even players.

"Why was HTTR song played when the opponent scored? Not good," Phillip Daniels wrote on Twitter.

Well, here's the short answer: it was a mistake.

"Only explanation for that one is 'oops,' " a team official later explained. "Our guy made a mistake, pure and simple, and once he started playing the HTTR video, it would have been even more awkward to pull it mid-song."

I was told there's no official policy about when "Hail to the Redskins" should be played, that it primarily comes on after points are scored but that there might be other appropriate times. Following visiting-team touchdowns, however, is not one of those times. So don't expect to hear that again. It's preseason for everyone, remember.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 23, 2010; 8:53 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Goodbye to Zack Bolno, for now
Next: George Mason basketball with gladiators in Rome

Comments

OK I'll go ahead and say it....First!!!

I don't know who is in charge of the game day experience at Fed Ex (Anyone? Hello? Bueller?) But I clearly hear HTTR playing after the opoosing team scoored! WTF? Tighten it up Game Day Management crew!

Posted by: Rocky420 | August 23, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

If Zack Bolno got fired for "letting" Haynesworth speak to the press, this poor HTTR guy must have been drawn and quartered. Any word on how quickly he was fired?

Posted by: dcborn61 | August 23, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Whoa whoa whoa! Slow down! Incompetence? Redskins? I don't believe in nothing no more!

Posted by: cao091402 | August 23, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Thats funny cao. The 'skins are like a lot of things in DC these days. Lots of big talk about change, but nothing really changes.

Posted by: splitbill | August 23, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Only a complete and utter moron and/or person completely ignorant of football, particularly the history and traditions of the Washington Redskins, would not know appropriate times to play the fight song.

It is completely demoralizing that such a person would be given control of the song and seem to feel playing it at random times is appropriate.

Redskins Nation knows what to do, how to do it, and when to do it. We don't need mindless and endless NFL corporate schlock including the fireworks and other silly gestures

As a former Redskins season ticket holder with lower level seats (i.e. the decision to give them up was not easy), one of the many factors in our decision was the amateurish often ineptly run FEDEX game experience.

We heard the Redskins fight song being played on our TV ofter the Ravens scored and were completely disgusted but, sadly, not surprised.

Control of when the Redskins Fight Song is played should be entrusted to real fans like Chief Z, the Hogettes, the Redskins Band, and Super Skin!!!

Posted by: mi-ti-bear | August 23, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

They have ruined the entire culture of attending Redskins games sense Danny Boy took control. This is just another fine example of it. Pathetic!

Posted by: Riddler1 | August 23, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

The clown who played the song after the other team scored should be fired.

That person is clearly not qualified to be near the stadium or within a mile of a football game at any level and lacks the motivation and professionalism to find out how to properly perform a task assigned to them.

Posted by: mi-ti-bear | August 23, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I really don't know why they played the song after the Ravens scored but it needs to be fixed ASAP!

I don't mind, though, hearing an abbreviated version of the song after a field goal. I think it sends a home field advantage message to the other team and it fires up the fans, which is part of tradition.

Posted by: JulzDC | August 23, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

That's still not a good reason to fire Zack Bolno.

Posted by: ChoppinBroccoli | August 23, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I didn't mind hearing your fight song to honor our touchdown. Apparently you hired a Ravens fan. Go Ravens!!!

Posted by: bobbcaz | August 23, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

The guy needs to be fired - or at least moved to a job he can handle. They really need to bring in someone who knows what they are doing -- the general music selections especially have been TERRIBLE for years. Really REALLY bad. It has been obvious the person in charge of that one area of arena operations is totally clueless.

Posted by: TheOtherGuyInSection117 | August 23, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Does it bother anyone else that the melody of "Hail to the Redskins" is the same as "Yes, Jesus Loves ME"?

Posted by: nattydread1 | August 23, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Fair enough. Mistakes happen. End of story.

Posted by: poguesmahone | August 23, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

great post! I nearly hit the roof when I heard them play it after the Raven's TD

Posted by: epostell | August 23, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Well, here's the short answer: it was a mistake.

----------------------------------------

First off, thank you Steinberg for finally writing this piece. I have been p**sed off about this for a year now.

Second off, the above quote by a team official is simply laughable. "It would have been more awkward to pull it mid-song." Um, excuse me, but the same incompetent imbecile who aired the song after the Ravens scored did "pull it mid-song" on at least two occasions last week against the Bills.

Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, this very same incompetent imbecile has been playing it at completely random times throughout the game for a year now. Having this incompetent imbecile in charge of playing HTTR spits directly in the face of the great tradition of this song.

I encourage all Redskins fans at Fed Ex to boo and boo loudly each and every time they play this song at random occasions. It should only be played after a Redskins score: That's the way it ALWAYS has been, and that's the way it should be.

Sincerely,

Barno

p.s. Fire the incompetent imbecile.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 23, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Maybe no one bothered to point out to "our guy" what ALL the little button thingies do. Is Vinnie Cerrato doing stadium entertainment now, btw?

Posted by: semilost44 | August 23, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mi-ti-bear | August 23, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Ladies and gentlement, your Washington Redskins! I, too, am part of that "former Redskins season ticket holder with lower level seats" crowd and it's incidents like this -- which I heard loud and clear on my TV -- that remind me of why I surrendered them in the first place. I'd laugh if it happened on a Cowboys touchdown, September 12.

Posted by: stwasm | August 23, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Good to see Barno not defending all things Danny

Posted by: jpfterps | August 23, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I loved the part of the game day experience where I had to pay $35 to park. That was outstanding.

Posted by: detox04 | August 23, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Calm Down Everyone..... I was there. The reason it was played was because a Team from Maryland Scored. There was a glitch in the computer program. And "Heads up" to our computer tech. for fixing it because as you can see when the Ravens scored again, and again,..... They didn't play the song.

Posted by: deejay640 | August 23, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

What gets me is the playing of any music other than HTTR. Why do sports stadia think we have to be entertained with music every second between plays? This is one of the main reasons I don't go to games anymore. It is ungodly loud.

Posted by: chopin224 | August 23, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Again thanks to Steinberg for putting this out there. Other outlets are now picking it up...

I am WAY more ticked off that they started playing the song at random times during the course of the game than I am about them accidentally playing it once after a Ravens score. Play the song after Redskins TDs and the abbreviated version after FGs...LIKE IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN DONE.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 23, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

First off, I don't really buy the Redskins official explanation. It couldn't have been just an "oops" by somebody in a booth pushing a button when someone scored, thinking it was the Skins who scored, because it's the BAND that plays it after we score, rather than some pre-recorded version. (i wasn't at the game, so possibly the band wasn't there for this preseason game. i dunno)

Furthermore, last year there was a few times (notably the debacle against K.C. at home) when they'd play HTTR, sponsored by [insert corporate sponsor] at completely inappropriate times. For years, up until the last couple years, it was only played 3 times: 1) beginning of game when band came out; 2) after a score, whether TD or FG or safety; 3) at the end of the game.

It just seems like the dude in charge of ads/scheduling/whatever at the game has an inflexible schedule, whereby he ends up playing some pre-recorded version at an awful time. I wish it would stop this year.

Posted by: RunRiggoRun | August 23, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

OK I'll go ahead and say it....First!!!

Posted by: Rocky42
----------------------------------

OK. I'll go ahead and say it...Dork!!!

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | August 24, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

OK, I can buy the honest mistake excuse on this one, but I was at the Buffalo game when our wonderful announcer interrupted a round of HTTR after a Redskins touchdown to tell us all about Papa John's Pizza. Dude, you can't wait until the final "Fight! for old DC" to tell us how many toppings we get? It was so deflating. I was just embarrassed for all of us.

Then there was the recorded verion of HTTR that had the completely wrong cadence for the Rah! Rah! Rah! part. (Actually came earlier in the game.)

Note to FedEx staff: Please get this stuff fixed before regular season starts. You're an embarassment to a proud tradition.

Posted by: Jackmathias | August 24, 2010 3:33 AM | Report abuse

PrinceBuster21 | August 24, 2010 12:48 AM

You're reading Steinberg's blog at 1 in the morning and I'm a dork? Nice try.

Posted by: Rocky420 | August 24, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

At least it's better than Johnny Rockets commercials trying to drown out the fans' discontent.

Posted by: jburnetti | August 24, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse