Jason Campbell calls McNabb trade "a dagger"

(By Ezra Shaw - Getty)

Last year, Jason Campbell said he felt like "a piece of tissue they were flushing down the toilet." Last week, he said the Redskins' constant QB flirtations were "like having your manhood questioned." And then this week, when asked about the Redskins' trade for Donovan McNabb, Campbell busted out the Steve Buckhantz.

"On the competitive side, it was tough," Campbell said in an interview with Sirius NFL Radio. "It happened on Easter Sunday. I still remember the exact day that it happened. I was out eating with my family, turned around, and having to hear that and see that, it was like somebody stuck a dagger into your heart.

"Because you feel like last season, with everything that was going on, you were still putting forth all the effort that you could, you didn't give up, you didn't quit. I just learn from it. I just understand that it's just like with Donovan, being shipped to a team within in the division, you understand that a big part of it is at the end of the day, it's a business. And you really don't realize until you see those kind of moves, those things being made.

"But the one thing it does, I don't hang on to those things, I just let it try to build me up as a person. You don't let those things affect you as a person, who you are, or as a player. There's been a lot of things that happened when I was in Washington, a lot of different changes and a lot of hard circumstances, but you just learn from it and you let it motivate you."

"I see this young Jason Campbell as a football player like I saw Jim Plunkett. He has everything. He was 13-0 in college, at Auburn, he can throw up the field, he can run, he's big, he's smart," Davis said, via ESPN.com. "I really predict great things for him. I hope he doesn't let me down. I don't think he will."

Hahahahaha.

Also, a fan at Eagles camp was asked to remove his Donovan McNabb Redskins jersey. According to Philly Sports Daily, the fan was told the order came from Andy Reid. Hope they don't try that on Oct. 3.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 11, 2010; 10:06 AM ET
Categories:  Media , NFL , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John Wall at the Mystics game
Next: A Nats hat in The Karate Kid

Comments

DAGGER!!!!

Ok, that woke me up for the rest of the morning.

Posted by: LouLewis | August 11, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't Jason have to pay Steve Buckhantz a royalty for saying "DAGGER!!!!" :)

Posted by: blackjack65 | August 11, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Dan, I don't understand the "hahaha"? I know Al Davis isn't the most accurate quote these days, but this may be one of the more lucid thoughts he's had in quite some time. The Raiders have a decent receiving core, not a bunch of 5'9" Moss-like pass droppers. If Jason can get protection he will significantly improve the Raiders. I wish he was still here. Yeah, Donovan may have played in a Super Bowl, but his performance there is much more deserving of the "hahaha".

Posted by: sordidvox | August 11, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

It is funny how Steinberg says "hahahahaha" wrt to Campbell. He put up average to slightly above average NFL QB numbers last year.

The Skins would have won 2 more games last year if Suisham hadn't choked on field goals at the end of games. The playcalling was questionable throughout the year. The O-line was injured, atrocious, and constantly changing. The #1 & #2 RBs both went down early for the season, our #1 WR had a case of the dropsies (looking at you, Santana), and Cooley spent most of the year on IR.

Many of the players on offense were truly laughable last year, but Campbell was one of the few who wasn't.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 11, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I liked Jason when he was here, but he's coming across as a big whiner.

Posted by: poguesmahone | August 11, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I liked Jason when he was here, but he's coming across as a big whiner.

Posted by: poguesmahone

Dam dude, he was asked a question about being traded and dissed and he said it kind of hurt but he use it to motivate him and understands the business of pro football. How is that whining? I know he should be more humble? Maybe like you?

Posted by: ged0386 | August 11, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone questioned Jason's preparation, it was his results.

Ok, I realize the OL was stinky but there were several times Moss was flying down the sidelines wide open and Jason would have NO pressure on him and just flat out miss him. Jason just can't throw deep, and you can't blame the OL on that.

Jason is a career backup. I wish him the best in Oakland but about mid-season is when he's going to show his true colors as a football player.

Jason could never put two halves of a season together and if he doesn't get hurt and Collins get's put in they don't make the playoffs that year.

He's still an upgrade for that team however which is why I can see Dan "haha-ing."

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 11, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Bad post,Mr.Steinberg.

Why the ha ha ha after Davis' comments,totally uncalled for.

Campbellput upbetter numbers last year than McNabb...fact.
With a far worse team...another fact.

Let's see how "can't win under pressure McNabb" does with this line,these receivers,this running game...all better than Campbell had by the way.

Posted by: petebowling1 | August 11, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

That kid never had a chance here - he has every right to complain about the way he was treated, especially by an inept owner - an inept GM- and a farcical rotation of head coaches culminating in the biggest joke in NFL history - Jim "losing creates thoughts" Zorn. Campbell handled himself with class and dignity through it all, and deserves better than football purgatory - Oakland.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | August 11, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

You folks giving Campbell a hard time on here need to have a little humanity. The Redskins treated him terribly. He has every right to say what is on his mind. I really am pulling for him and hope he has a terrific season. Same with Colt Brennan. The team never gave him a chance.

Posted by: royhobbs56 | August 11, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

F--- Andy Reid -- he should have been this attentive with his own kids. Worst father in the history of man.

Posted by: bestmick1 | August 11, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Campbell is bound to be a NFL journeyman. The only reason he lasted so long in DC is the constant regime changes allowed him to languish here.

Posted by: LouLewis | August 11, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Jason was anything BUT a whiner. Practically the whole time he was with the Skins, they were looking ELSEWHERE for another QB. How would that make you feel as the supposed #1 QB and the organization spends a good portion of time and focus continually looking for ANOTHER QB? He did understand that football is a BUSINESS first. Kudos to you Jason.

If the Raiders can keep Jason upright, he may prove to more than a few skeptics that he is more than a "career backup" QB.

Posted by: kbinva1 | August 11, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

"there were several times Moss was flying down the sidelines wide open and Jason would have NO pressure on him and just flat out miss him."
______________________________________

You can count the plays last season in which JC faced "NO pressure" on zero hands.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 11, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Jason it's the best thing that ever happened to you getting out of that racist uniform you were forced to wear and putting on the coolest uniform out there. As for the "McDope" wearing a Deadskins 5 jersey at an Eagle's training camp, it just shows that you people are all just a bunch of Fox-Newsies - That's right you like stupid stuff. Enjoy seeing Fed-Ex's grass being cut short every Sunday.

Posted by: Dog-1 | August 11, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kbinva1 | August 11, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Football is a business. Campbell needs to grow up. The dagger stuff is nothing but whining. All the guy needs to say is that he did his best here and thinks he has a good situation where he is now. The whining doesn't help him............

Posted by: poguesmahone | August 11, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I really pray that Jason Campbell is successful in Oakland...he was screwed badly by the previous management here (I do not hold Shanahan and Allen responsible...they have the right to bring in new people to start fresh), and we as fans did not appreciate his efforts in spite of the team's deficiencies around him. Fellow fans want to say they know the Skins had major problems, but yet at the same time expected Campbell heal all wounds...team sports do not work that way.

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | August 11, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the other commenters: what is with Steinbergs snarky "hahahaha"? What exactly are you saying? Dont' be such a d-bag. Campbell might just make you eat your words smart guy.

Posted by: dbunkr | August 11, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

If he makes me eat my words, I will do so publicly. I'm not hahahahaha'ing at Jason -- who I've always said was as much a gentleman as any athlete I've ever covered. I'm hahahahaha'ing at Al Davis comparing him to Jim Plunkett, and bringing up an ancient college season, and predicting great things. I think Jason might help the Raiders, but I don't see greatness.

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. But I was trying to make fun of Al Davis, not Jason.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | August 11, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Make fun of Al Davis if you wish--lord knows, he's earned it recently. But he still has more credibility than Dan Snyder.

It just wouldn't surprise me to see Snyder trying to overpay Campbell to come back here in 7 or 8 years after he's had a chance to blossom in Oakland.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 11, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Very best of luck to you in Oakland JC from this Skins fan!! You are a total class act and, unfortunately, never had the tools around you to succeed here.

Posted by: thebone | August 11, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I agree with you, Dan. I don't see greatness, either. Campbell's missed more than getting to the receivers too often. I haven't forgotten how aggravating it was. Best of luck to JC in Oakland tho.

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 11, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Dan -- thanks for clarifying what you meant. Still think the Plunkett comparison is actually reasonable -- he too was a great college player that had limited pro success before joining Raiders. Who knows?

Posted by: dbunkr | August 11, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I love JC. The man is tough as nails. I'm not sure what he can do, because the offenses here have been ... offensive. He's the kind of player that I'll always root for, because JC always picked himself up after getting knocked down. JC was one classy dude while he was here in DC. If JC can prove the haters wrong, that would be something worth celebrating.

How would we remember Al Davis if Bo Jackson hadn't nearly ripped his leg off in a career ending injury? My memory isn't so short that I've forgotten the Raiders teams that at one time inspired fear in people. Hopefully, Al Davis is right about JC.

Posted by: dannykurland1 | August 11, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

"he can throw up the field"

I thought McNabb was the fellow who was throwing up on the field. How can Al be confident Campbell is as good?

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 11, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

How about all the times that Moss dropped a deep bomb from Campbell that was right on the money from being scared shittless of getting hit. I think the overthrows just about even out with the dropped balls by Moss, which is why we had no deep game the last few years. One out of every 5 times he put the ball in the right spot, Moss would come down with it. Also, Moss is atrocious at adjusting to the ball in flight. I'm sure at least a few of those misthrows were due to him misreading the ball.

Yeah, Moss is great at catching WR screens when he really has no chance of taking a hit, which is where a good percentage of his receptions come from. On a good WR team, Moss is a number 3 or 4. On a decent team, he is a number 2 or 3. And on one of the worst WR teams in the league, he's a number one.

Not that Campbell is "Mad Bomber" Lamonica or anything, but on any other team with a real WR he would have had an extra 4-5 TDs a year and a couple extra wins.

Posted by: withoutanet | August 11, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

No Jason the Dagger was watching you play on 3 and 10 and throw the check down week in and week out.

Posted by: richardgovea | August 11, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

No Jason the Dagger was watching you play on 3 and 10 and throw the check down week in and week out for a 3 yard gain

Posted by: richardgovea | August 11, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

It will be as much fun as watching Dallas loose as it will be to see if it was the Oline, or does Campbell plain suck. All those who talked bad about the other talent here (IMO) will have to eat crow. It will be amazing to see other receivers besides Cooley open on the regular. I won't have to ask "where has this been" because I know why we haven't been seeing it... So long Cambell LOL and unlike bleeding hearted Redskins, Raider fan will give you 7 games

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | August 11, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

when he said dagger....I immediately thought of sitting in the front row at FEDEX for all his games and the multiple times i wanted to cut my wrists because he was sooo mediocre as a qb.

1 in 3 deep passes on target...check. slow delivery...check. prone to fumbling while dropping off, handing off, or even getting the ball from center....check. not able to see the whole field with protection....check.

I wanted to believe his wonderlic scores were meaningless....but lets be honest....everything about campbell as a qb was/is slow.

Posted by: GoonieGooGoo | August 11, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone remember Campbell's last pass here?? He threw the f'ing ball out of bounds!... but he had speaks of daggers through his heart.

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | August 11, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Wow, so many idiotic comments, hard to decide which to pick apart. I guess we'll go with the most idiotic of all by Dog-1:

"Jason it's the best thing that ever happened to you getting out of that racist uniform you were forced to wear"

Exactly what is "racist" about the Redskins uniform. Native American special interest groups have long used the Redskins team name as a direct mail fundraising tool. But if it is not offensive to the overwhelmingly vast majority of Native Americans, then it is a non issue.

Here are the facts: there are many polls that show that upwards of 90% of the Native American community are not insulted by the Redskins team name and do not find it offensive. 5-10% of respondents will answer any given way on any given poll--that is a fact. 10% of this country also believes that man did not land on the moon. So I'm not giving the 10% or so of Native Americans who side with the special interest groups any credibility. I'm going with the other 90% who are not interested in playing these racial identity politics for financial purposes.

As long as Dan Snyder is owner of the team, the name aint changing. So deal with it.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 11, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Bottom line is if the owner stuck to owning the team,and let the people who know football,coach and play it. the skins would have been a better team. It wasnt Jason Campbell's fault that we lost all those games while he was here. He still is a good Quarterback. Although I'm a die hard skins fan,I'm longing for the day he comes back and rams it down our throat!

Posted by: ftw1 | August 11, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Dagger? Hardly knew 'er.

Posted by: Sirius2 | August 11, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell will make this franchise regret trading him to Oakland instead of giving him a shot under a real coach they send him packing the kid was a true gentleman, don't get me wrong i hope McNabb does well but the way this franchise teated Campbell was a crime.

Posted by: dargregmag | August 11, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Nice of this reporter to actually write whatever he THINKS the player should say to him when he can't get a class act like Jason Campbell to say anything more extreme than the 'daring' dagger remark. Take your bulldozer crap and bury yourself under the s**t you seem to come up with. You're the Glenn Beck of creating faction. But at least THAT idiot seems to admit it (and even writes in chalk since he always has to erase). HAHAHAHA

Posted by: dogged1 | August 11, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

You needed to throw more TD daggers....

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | August 11, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

One thing people keep forgetting was that McNabb was sacked 35 times last year and played 2 fewer games than Jason Campbell. It was not as if that Philadelphia offensive line was full of great protectors. To me, there is no difference between 43 sacks in 16 games for Jason Campbell and 35 sacks in 14 games for Donovan McNabb. The excuse should not be about poor pass protection than about what the QB does with his precious seconds in the collapsing pocket. Sorry, Campbell, but it still comes down to quick decisions and quick releases, but good luck in Oakland anyway. Remember, there are no more excuses left!

Posted by: JohnWWW | August 11, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

I was a huge Jason Campbell fan when he 1st came here and I still like him as a person. But, he never got it done. When Joe Gibbs left, he said that Jason is going to have to lead this team down in the 4th qtrs and win games. He never did that once. Not once. McNabb will make us at least 4 games better than we were with Campbell. I hope Campbell does better than Patrick Ramsey did after being sacked a million times. He never developed either.

Posted by: 42CT | August 11, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

If Jason Campbell thought playing in Washington -- under a delusional owner and for a wholly-unqualified coach -- was tough, wait 'til he gets a load of Al Davis and Tom Cable!

Poor guy doesn't stand a chance... He never did.

Posted by: noslok | August 11, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

This sucks. I actually enjoyed the bog and Dan Steinberg before the "Hahahahaha." line. Just another unathletic writer taking it out on a professional athlete for being, at his worst, everything that Dan could ever dream of, at his best. Sad day.

Posted by: paleahy | August 11, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

The big mistake the Redskins made was trading Jason Campbell. They should have keep Jason Campbell as insurance. If Donovan gets hurt or he doesn't resign with the Redskins, the Redskins will really look stupid.

Posted by: jjack1 | August 12, 2010 1:15 AM | Report abuse

Jason had some major problems facing him on the Skins. All of his support group was bad. Still he never in his career showed any fire. He seemed asleep at the wheel. He didn't seem like he was ever gonna make anything happen. His talent was there, his attitude was exemplary. He had all the skills, he just rarely made anything happen, and didn't give the appearance that he cared too much while he was on the field.

Posted by: 1bmffwb | August 12, 2010 2:29 AM | Report abuse

this will be a very good year for JC! he has a better offensive line than the one he was behind last year...this guy will make the fans of Oakland very happy! this is probably the biggest "under the radar" trade of the year! JC do your thing out west man...stay tuned JC haters!

Posted by: ronniecope106 | August 12, 2010 5:06 AM | Report abuse

Only time will tell how this will play out. Unfortunately, the 'Skins haven't been able to get all their resources on the field at one time to seriously challenge but Jason Campbell was a good starting point. The receiving corps and D need more editing than the QB. However, Donovan McNabb is a proven talent and working the Coach Shanahan MAY pay off.

Posted by: darylandmelanie1 | August 12, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

"Tune in next week, when Campbell says his time in Washington "was like getting run over with a bulldozer shooting hydrofluoric acid balloons laced with deadly diseases and decomposing horse heads." And if his confidence was lagging at all, Al Davis took to Sirius to put things straight."

Thanks you, Dan. Pretty good line. Ran-Doll Cunningham was like that, too. It's a QB thing. These nutcakes spew forth with all kinds of apocalyptic analogies when their stars fade and for them, I'm sure it's apocalyptic. But they believe their own press and get confused that anyone cares. Jason will turn out like all the others that have passed through, high draft choices that knock around for a year or two or three and then disappear with their money. Nothing biblical or apocalyptic about THAT.

Posted by: JamesChristian | August 12, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

It shouldn't have been a dagger Jason. The handwriting was on the wall. You were mediocre at best, clearly not with the worst of QBs but no where near being with the Elite QBs.

You appeared to fans to be big, slow in your decision-making, and lumbering when you ran the ball. You could barely execute a QB slide. Maybe things will be different for you in Oakland and I'm actually pulling for you, but if I see the same things I saw when you were here with the Skins, you'll become a second thought not only in my mind but in the minds that count.

Posted by: keedrow | August 12, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

these jack-o-nine fans don't know football. it is woodbridge meets annacostia at their games and they could care less if they got mcchicken, mike strahan, the cowboy's water boy, or anyone else past or present as evidenced by this nursing home roster of bums that were let go by everyone else. they root for a jersey and could care less who is in it as long as these animals can get liquored up and pretend they are at a tractor pull or gettin their drank on. that is why the rest of the league laughs at those cross dressers with pig snouts from 1981. the whole thing is a show and they will always be what they are.... wanna-be's..let cambell r.i.p. and be glad he was here to take your inbred crap.

Posted by: doyouktt | August 12, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Dude is gone and you people are still crying about him!! This is a business first and foremost, and until some of you realize that fact we'll be talking about JC for another year. Fact is JC was ok! Not great but not bad either. But he played on a team that plays in a large market in a very competitive division where all the QBs in the Division are stars. JC was good at taking the punishment on and off the field, BUT he was a church mouse!! As the leader on offense he did not take charge very well if at all. You saw it in the game when Collins came in for JC, took control of the huddle and offense and the Offense actually played better. Leaders of men have to have a certain attitude and balls to be effective and JC just didnt have it or he just didnt show it.

I do wish him well though. Many of you believe that hes in a better situation but face reality....hes not! If he couldnt handle the whimpy fans here, the BH (Black Hole) will eat him alive.

Posted by: usc932000 | August 12, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

It only goes to show the NFL,MLB and NBA have to many teams with not enough talent.

Jason was a good QB the Skins ruin his start in the league.

I like the Skins too but i refuse to support Dan Snyder Business!

I know he had to be happy the media foucus on Haynesworth instead of him!

Posted by: shamken | August 12, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Somebody said Jason can't throw deep. My My My, how soon we forget plays like Jason to Santana for a winning touchdown against New Orleans when we started 6-2. Or how about completing 24 of 27 passes against Arizona the year they went to the Super Bowl I think. Arizona might have went the following year. We started of 6-2 and everyone talked about him as a first half MVP.

Chris Samuels and at least 2 other key offensive lineman go down and CP gets hurt. We finish 2-6 in the second half of the season

On being the scapegoat for Redskin failures: There are many games in our woeful seasons that Jason took it upon himself to win games or sustain drives by running and even scoring a touchdown in late games only to have the woeful secondary get torched when the defense who everyone talks of as the savior failed to close out a game. Or Suisham miss field goals. The ones he missed in Dallas last year could've turned our season around. Or the fumble by Santana against Greenbay. Or a drop by Mike Sellers standing wide open in the end zone on a 5yard pass. Missed block by Sellers in the woeful Lions lost. Not going to mention Randle El and terrible field position. Football bouncing the wrong way off one of our player in the kickoff against Carolina last year. Or referee's intentionally missing calls because we were a laughing stock of the entire NFL because of so many bone head moves by Daniel Snyder and his management team.

On winning games in the fourth quarter. If your o-line can't block for you the enitire game why and the hell would we expect them to block for him to win a football game at the end of the game when everybody is dog tired.

3rd and 10 check downs are inevitable when your offense is predictable(no formation shifts, different sets etc)and the defense know you need 10 whole yards to sustain a drive. They give you everything underneath and protect the secondary. Man, our o-line has been pressured with 3 men rushing on many differnt occasions. Completely unacceptable .

I'm going to make sure I get my Raiders #8 Campbell jersey early before everyone jumps on the bag wagon. Like we always do as Redskins and Wizards fans who see players go other places and shine.

SHOUT OUT to Gilbert Arenas. They have forgot about your work ethic and desire to be a winner. U and Wall will be dynamic in the backcourt together but u got to play better on the ball defense. Back to the SKins and JC.

On leadership. Judge a mans character on how well he deals with adversity and negativity and then you"ll see if he is a winner or looser. I can't wait for this season to start. Redskins and Wizards and oh yeah the Raiders too now.

Posted by: JWADE4 | August 12, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

As a "once upon a time" long-time skins fan I gotta say, most of you Campbell naysayers are missing the big point, THIS TEAM IS CURSED!! by all the bad things in the past DS and former mangers (Vinnie the terrible) have done, ie sueing fans, etc. Campbell one of the few that weathered the storm. And now that he's with a another team with better chemistry will do well. They did him a favor by trading him. Most players that leave the skins usually well. Even Colt Brennan will probably become a standout now that he's away from the CURSE of DS.

Posted by: footballfreak | August 12, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: footballfreak | August 12, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Folks, so much vitriol... I'm sure Steiney meant the "hahaha"'s towards Al Davis' hoping that he wouldn't be disappointed. Davis has a history of being an outspoken bonehead, with a penchant for spending like Snydey, and micro-managing, etc... When is he going to threaten to move them to LA again?...

I hope Campbell is able to move on and actually have a career that could amount to something. Wouldn't be the first time within this regime that players have left to more success. They've come here to rest and get the payday.

Here's to hoping all that will change under Shanallen!!!

Posted by: BillStoner | August 12, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posters love to say that JC was mis-used and underappreciated here, but keep this in mind - JC was ultimately replaced by McNabb because the very PROFESSIONALS they we now have running the team - guys with Super Bowl credentials and top ranked offenses on the resume - those guys lacked the confidence in JC to keep him around and save those draft picks...so you tell me. When I think of Jason Campbell I think of a big mobile guy with lots of potential, a big arm and all the tools, except for two - leadership and the ability to raise his level of play when its necessary to win the game. Sure his stats looked ok at the end of the year - but so much of that was garbage time..I mean, how many times did you watch a game where he looked like crap and they were getting beat only to see his ending stats look way better than you expected. Teams started playing soft and giving him the underneath stuff, etc......so give him another break and some more excuses - everybody always did say he looks great in practice...but at the end of the day Shanny and Allen didn't want him - He's fools gold.

Posted by: scottmando | August 12, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Here's guessing he and his family were at the Cheesecake Factory eating dinner on Easter Sunday...

Posted by: bmayhewbz@hotmail.com | August 12, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posters love to say that JC was mis-used and underappreciated here, but keep this in mind - JC was ultimately replaced by McNabb because the very PROFESSIONALS that we now have running the team - guys with Super Bowl credentials and top ranked offenses on the resume - those guys lacked the confidence in JC to keep him around and save those draft picks...so you tell me. When I think of Jason Campbell I think of a big mobile guy with lots of potential, a big arm and all the tools, except for two - leadership and the ability to raise his level of play when its necessary to win the game. Sure his stats looked ok at the end of the year - but so much of that was garbage time..I mean, how many times did you watch a game where he looked like crap and they were getting beat only to see his ending stats look way better than you expected. Teams started playing soft and giving him the underneath stuff, etc......so give him another break and some more excuses - everybody always did say he looks great in practice...but at the end of the day Shanny and Allen didn't want him - He's fools gold.

Posted by: scottmando | August 12, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bmayhewbz@hotmail.com | August 12, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Redskins fans will be truly hurt when they realize that Mcnabb is not an upgrade from Jason. Mcnabb has just been set up to fail, there is no way he can compete with this circus they way Jason did. Jason was amazingly operational in the mist of major disfunction. The same system in 11 years thats un-heard of here, Welcome to DC Mcnabb. Oh yeah DC stands for Disfuntional City ha ha ha ha !

Posted by: gwest1 | August 12, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Redskins fans will be truly hurt when they realize that Mcnabb is not an upgrade from Jason. Mcnabb has just been set up to fail, there is no way he can compete with this circus the way Jason did. Jason was amazingly operational in the mist of major disfunction. The same system in 11 years thats un-heard of here, Welcome to DC Mcnabb. Oh yeah DC stands for Disfunctional City ha ha ha ha !

Posted by: gwest1 | August 12, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Campbell is the prototype qb for the Al Davis system. He was always a 1st class guy in DC, and is a huge upgrade for the Raider image. Hope he does well. Good luck, Jason.

Posted by: 21stCenturyCaveman | August 12, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse