Jason Campbell's preseason Raiders debut

(By Sharon Ellman - AP)

This will probably be a running bone of contention between me and you all season. You think Jason Campbell is a real gentleman who was treated poorly by the Redskins in all sorts of ways. You're hoping for him to excel in Oakland to prove the Redskins wrong. You think all he needs is a little stability and trust, and that he can excel in the NFL, even in the Black Hole.

Me, I think Campbell was a real gentleman, a great friend to the media, a gem in the community and a genuine role model. But I also think he was a below-average NFL quarterback who held the Redskins back for years.

Anyhow, Jason Campbell made his Oakland debut last night. Sure, it was a preseason game, but dang if it didn't feel awfully familiar. He was 7-of-13 for 49 yards and a passer rating of 62.7. His offense produced a total of 0 points when he was on the field, through the first series of the second quarter. The reviews were decidedly meh, like this one, from the San Jose Mercury News:

It didn't take much imagination to convince yourself that you were watching the 2009 Raiders offense. Under Campbell's guidance, the Raiders managed only 68 yards and four first downs on four drives without scoring any points.

And yet Campbell remained optimistic, talking about a deep pass that was caught out-of-bounds, for example.

"We missed it by a half-step," Campbell said. "That shows you there is a reason to be confident about things."

That sounds familiar, too. But go ahead. Draft him in your fantasy league. Bet on the Vegas over of six Raiders wins. Keep calling me a hater. I can take it.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 13, 2010; 9:52 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Owen Wilson in a Nats uniform
Next: Rex Grossman talks "Sexy Rexy," greatness

Comments

I love it how raider fans talk smack to Skins fans saying they "Stole a good one" and how awesome he looks in practice. "We are talking about practice man" Jason Campbell may be a great guy, and yea our OL sucked last year, but he just doesnt have "it". Yes I know he went undefeated at "The Barn" but he had one of the best SEC running backs tandems of all time (Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown) I wsih Mr. JC all the best, but I am sure glad we got Mcnabb. HAIL!

Posted by: alexbatesevans | August 13, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I couldn't agree more. He is a true gentleman and a likable fellow so you have to wish him nothing but success, however, he is an average to below average QB and would be better suited as a back-up. Everyone still talks about how he can throw the long ball. Sure, he can throw it long, but where it ends up is anyones guess. He has a high completion percentage because he dumps the ball off and would never take chances down field. It amazes me that true personel men and commentaters around the league believe he will excell. Again, I hope he does well, but I don't see it. Not being a hater either. Just telling you what I see.

Posted by: matthewrayman | August 13, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Hater? I wouldn't go that far. We are an instant gratification society.

There's no point in debating facts that will reveal themselves shortly over the course of the REAL season.

How will McNabb take the hits he's destined to take behind our revamped O-line? Will he keep getting up like Campbell did last year, or will his season be shortened? Will McNabb's transition into a new offense be any faster then Campbell's annual transitions were?

As for Campbell, will he perform better over the long haul given the opportunity to go down the field with the ball? Will an owner and coach who profess confidence in him allow him to put up better numbers this year... a continuation of the improvement he's already shown EVERY year?

These questions will be answered in the very near future.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 13, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

F Campbell, he's a boring QB who's story in Oak is gonna be the same as it was here. Russell and Campbell are the same QB, whoever thought JC17 is upgrade is football stupid.

Posted by: AnthonyMix | August 13, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

If you have it you have it. You would of seen the intangibles earlier. Such as at least one come back win. Even the below average qb's have accomplished that feat.

Posted by: matthewrayman | August 13, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

matthewrayman, you might want to read this:

The Great, Late Jason Campbell
Redskins' QB Leads 4th-Quarter Comebacks

These events took place before Portis mailed it in, the O-line fell apart, and Zorn became an idiot.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 13, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

If you comment in the negative on one half of preseason football - you are a hater! Based on one half of preseason football - Dallas looks inept! God knows what the 'Skins will look like tonight. I don't think any of us will form an opinon about McNugget over two or three series of offense in the first game of the preseason. You guys are saying "I told you so" over a half of football, in the 1st preseason game, a glorified practice... idiots!!!

Posted by: SPUD2 | August 13, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Leave my Campbell alone!!! ... Oh, you are not talking about soup? Never mind.

Posted by: nimes1 | August 13, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Dan, you are 100% right about this.

Posted by: skinsFan74 | August 13, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't call you a hater so much as not particularly nuanced in your analysis; in other words, not especially good...

Posted by: atrain1 | August 13, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Alan,
I forgot about the beginning of the 2008 season when the skins were 6-2. That's when we thought he turned the corner. Bad offense of line or not last year, I still don't see it.

Posted by: matthewrayman | August 13, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I am no longer a hater because he no longer plays for my team (YAY)... new uni-same Jason. He was 13-0 in college because of an elite running game. If he is ever in that situation again, he will be successful... but so would every other average to below average NFL talents. Great guy, but will never win you a game.... so glad he is gone

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | August 13, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I have no compunction about calling you a big ol' hater.

To make declarations about a QB who has played 1 half of preseason football in a new offense is just stupid.

Remember that well oiled machine we had in Steve Spurrier's first NFL pre-season game? How did that work out?

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | August 13, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Actually a 62 rating is not all that familiar sounding, as Campbell's career ratings are better and have increased every season.

Having said that, I've always been in the category who felt Soup was not a very good QB in any aspect of the role.

Posted by: LouLewis | August 13, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

For Dan and all of the JC Haters,
Mr. Campbell is no longer a Redskin employee, so why are any of you concerned?
You need to move on and worry about how your team and your new QB will play. You idiots are so fickle. I'll give McNurd two below average games and the Washington fans will magically turn into Philly McNurd haters. You idiots need to place your focus here in Washington instead of Oakland.

Posted by: Hlynchmaster | August 13, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

This is rediculous. Seriously Steinberg I figured you had more class and more sense then to blog about a nothing game and an former redskin QB. I knew I would read about blogs from fans and from writers in other towns and people who don't know sports telling us... hey I told you so after the guy played a quarter of football in a meaningless preseason game. This deserves a "CHILD PLEASE!"

He didn't look below average, he just looked average. Could that have to do with the fact that he is once again learning a new offense, once again playing behind a OL that was remade in the offseason, learning all new WRs, backs and coaches. If you went to Raiders sites you would read about how excited they are to have him and how great of a camp he is having and the offense suites his skill set, unlike the West Coast system he was forced to run under Zorny. He went up against the Dallas D last night and like usual was hit on almost every play. I don't like Dallas, but their front 7 is one of the best in football.

I just can't believe I'm having to read an article like this after 1 freakin quarter that Campbell isn't playing in a redskins uniform! Yikes.... it is really sad that the haters still can't stay away from the guy. Just let him be. He traveled across country to get away from columnist like this and doubters, yet they have nothing better to do but still follow him. LOL, get something new to write about son.

You forgot to mention how horrible the Dallas #1 offense has looked so far in its 2 preseason games, especially last night vs the Oakland D. The Oakland D, the Oakland running game, the Oakland TE Zack Miller and JC not turning the ball over and being efficient with the ball at a 63-67% clip just could put the raiders in the playoffs this year, or pretty close!

Posted by: avbanig | August 13, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

So a handful of plays in the first preseason game and the jury is in on Campbell? That's just brilliant.

Posted by: dbunkr | August 13, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: keedrow | August 13, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Whatever Steinz, we know you love JC...

Posted by: Barno1 | August 13, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Well Campbell and McNabb apologists can fall back on the same mantra this year: "he's learning a new language." For Campbell that is a description that will follow him around for the rest of his career. He'll either get coaches fired or be sent somewhere else because he can't master anybody's system.

Posted by: LouLewis | August 13, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

"and while McNabb was a clear upgrade over JC I predict that skins fans will quickly see what philly fans began to complain about and why they were so willing to give him up to an NFC East rival. Let's see how long it takes."

This is laughable. Considering McNabb gave Philly the greatest 10 years in Philly football history, Eagles fans have nothing to complain about

Posted by: JDB1 | August 13, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

You don't win football games with personality! F! Cambbell!! He is in the blackhole now where everything including NFL players disappear!! HAIL!!!

Posted by: sirmixx01 | August 13, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Redskins were 6-2 with Campbell the last time they had their offensive line in tact. That is the bottom line. When you have guys starting on the O-line who wouldn't make many rosters in the NFL, well you see the results.

As Steinberg pointed out during the preseason last year, Campbell was one of the most accurate passers in the NFL in 2008. Remember that? The analysis that showed the Redskins dropped an unusually high number of his accurate passes?

Fact is I don't know too many NFL qbs who could have improved every year they've been in the league coinciding with an offensive line that got progressively worse due to age and injury every year.

Campbell had great starts to seasons in 06 (when he came in mid season), 07, and 08. He was 5-3 in 07 (and on his way to 6-3 up 14 in the 2nd half when Sean Taylor got hurt against the Eagles) and was 6-2 in 08. The guy wasn't "holding us back" then, was he?

It was the O-line. Plain and simple.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 13, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

You don't win football games with personality! F! Campbell!! He is in the blackhole now where everything including NFL players disappear!! HAIL!!!

Posted by: sirmixx01 | August 13, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

keedrow: "and while McNabb was a clear upgrade over JC I predict that skins fans will quickly see what philly fans began to complain about and why they were so willing to give him up to an NFC East rival. Let's see how long it takes"

Yes McNabb was an upgrade over JC, he's an upgrade over about 25 QBs in this league, maybe more. Philly fans are just nutz. They booed him on draft day because they wanted Ricky "smoke a bowl" Williams. How did that work out for them??? Well let's see McNabb took them to a superbowl and what 4 NFCC games in 5 years. I predict that Philly fans will see a young, average to below average team this year. They have a young RB, an often injured OL, young WRs and TE (who Donovan made look great, as he usually did with no name Philly WRs) and a D that has some good players but still can't replace some of the ones they have lost over the years like Trotter, and Dawkins.

The Skins are going to give Donovan a running game, protect him better than he even got in Philly and our D is going to be as good as or possibly better than Philly's. Eagle haters are quickly going to realize that they should have given McNabb a new 3 to 5 year deal and he should have retired an Eagle, same with Westbrook and they've already seen it with Dawkins.

I really feel the Eagles have alot of young talent but are a year or 2 away from where McNabb had them the past decade. It will be like when McNabb 1st got there and was learning. They should have resigned McNabb and Kolb both and forgotten about Mike Vick. Kolb wouldn't have liked it but they could have easily had him ride the pine for 2 or 3 more years while backing up McNabb.

I really think that decision is going to blow up in their faces, just like Westbrook and Dawkins from last year. Heck Andy Reid already must feel that way after kicking a fan out of practice for wearing a McNabb Redskins jersy! Calling it a distraction to the team, I mean talk about someone who's insecure.

Posted by: avbanig | August 13, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Half a preseason game and the verdict is in. A game that didn't even count, for a guy who is learning another new offense...and ye of great football knowledge have spoken.

You know whats average? This article. Average assessment of a below average game which doesn't average into the final season record. Pre-season is really only important if you are into that sort of thing.

Talk to me around game 4.

Posted by: 20yrskinfan | August 13, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

20yrskinfan

"Talk to me around game 4."

Even that isn't a big enough sample man. You can't honestly say anything about JCs performance as an Oakland Raider till after his first season there. Then, I mean realistically you should give him two years, but that's just me, I'm more paitent than most.

I understand there are people that just don't like Jc, just like I didn't like Mark Brunell. It didn't matter what Brunell did, we basically gave up picks and all this money for 1 slightly above average year for him. Then JC goes out last year and despite all the problems with this team has the best year a redskins QB has had since 99 (Brad Johnson) and he's the Problem.... Give me a Freaking break people.

Posted by: avbanig | August 13, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

While I agree with Dan that Campbell is a career backup let it go. Was there this much talk about Stan Humphries (who?) when he went to San Diego? He was a much better QB than Jason. Why don't we just concentrate on the players that are on the roster.

Posted by: rmcpks73 | August 13, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

LouLewis:
"Well Campbell and McNabb apologists can fall back on the same mantra this year: "he's learning a new language." For Campbell that is a description that will follow him around for the rest of his career."

It was one quarter of one preseason game. If people who just want to down JC can jump all over him after that little sample of an NFL season without looking at the facts. Why can't those who think JC always gets a raw deal, never gets enough support and will continue to improve in this league lay out things that are FACTS.

JC will be in Oakland for a while, hopefully be able to play in the same offense for 2+ years. Then after that we can evaluate him, his progress, the teams progress and everything in the Oakland organization.

I love how people say JC got the GM and HC fired..... Really? Really people?? JC did not draft 3 WR players with the 1st 3 picks of the O8 draft, 2 of which were very raw and 1 of which can barely see the field because of injuries. JC did not hire a GM who did not know how to build a team correctly from the Lines 1st. Until we got Shan/Allen we hadn't taken a OL in the 1st 2 rounds of the NFL draft since Chris Samuels people... that is NOT JCs fault. The 1st DL we took in the 1st 2 rounds since Kenard Lang in 97 was Orakpo last year... again not JCs fault!

JC did not hire a QB coach to be a head coach because they couldn't get any other guys to come in and be yes men! I think it is sad that Spagnolo and Schwartz were told by their bosses to wait for better opportunities.

Where did they end up?? The Rams and the Lions. I rest my case. Up until now this has been a dysfunctional organization since 93. We finally started to get things right with Charlie and Norv in 99 but Snyder had other ideas and blew it all up in favor of Cerrato... the classic YES MAN! I hope Shany and Allen continue to be allowed to build this team the right way, so far they are doing a fine job considering the uncapped year and restricted FA, if you ask me.

Posted by: avbanig | August 13, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

"You idiots need to place your focus here in Washington instead of Oakland."

oh no hLYNCHMASTER! it is not that easy... Soup held this organization hostage because he was a nice guy and a good practice player. I don't wish him ill as many of us don't... I just want the supporters to see this guy without their rose colored glasses on. NFL talent... not a starter

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | August 13, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

All you haters just watch these clips and please, please tell me how JC was supposed to complete even a 10 yd pass. Just stop with the hating. Please

Posted by: avbanig | August 13, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: avbanig

(how about throwing the f'ing ball with accuracy for more than 10 yrsd)

Let me help with this word problem

answer about 10%... the Raiders punter ought to make pro bowl hahahaha

JC apologist are awesome.

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | August 13, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LouLewis | August 13, 2010 11:41 AM
================================

Brett Favre has played in the same system for his entire career. He has only played for West Coast Offense coaches.

You can't be so much of an idiot to think that a QB can be at his best when he changes offensive systems every year.

That would be like me deciding that my developers were going to code in JavaEE for 1 project, then .NET for the next, then Python for the next and then complain that they aren't increasing their efficiency in getting the code delivered to the test team.

ridiculous!

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | August 13, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Ah, the preseason idiots are back....I like to refer to them as the "Cult of Colt".

If this was Week 1 of the regular season, fine. But can we please stop making assessments on a meaningless game.

Colt Brennan is a funny, confident guy. He's a terrible quarterback. He had one good 4th quarter of a preseason game and dopes began preparing his Hall of Fame speech.

How's Marcus Mason been doing? Ya know, the guy who led the NFL in rushing yards a couple of years ago....in the preseason. How many teams have decided to cut him, including the Redskins...TWICE.

Darnerian McCants, I remember how, if just given the chance, he would be Randy Moss because of how great his preseason numbers were. How's he been playing?

I figure tonight, Rex Grossman and/or John Beck will probably put up decent numbers against future UPS drivers and the Cult of Colt will be calling for McNabb to be cut from the team and have depth chart of Grossman/Beck/Bartel, in no particular order. Willie Parker will probably have a 60+ yard run, which will have the outcry to cut CP and LJ because "we'll only need Fast Willie".

Please folks, please wrap this around your head. The preseason is MEANINGLESS. From JC last night, to that backup TE from Dallas who had a good 1st quarter on Monday, to Colt Brennan, to Marcus Mason....the preseason is full of guys that are not NFL quality going up against other guys that are not NFL quality. The playbook is vanilla.

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | August 13, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

SkinsNWiz - Yes, it is that easy !!
Just focus on what's happening now. JC is
NOT here now, if anything he's Oakland's issue now.
Jason Campbell NEVER held this organization hostage in any way. If anything he was a standup guy when all the "under the table" stuff was done TO HIM. When all the BLAME was placed ON HIM, when HE had to learn SEVERAL DIFFERENT systems, when HE had to CHANGE the way he has played football since being a kid. You need to re-think that hostage thing...Silly

Posted by: Hlynchmaster | August 13, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

This is stupid funny. So, based on your lightning quick analysis JC is a bust? So Romo is a bust? The truth is preseason counts for nothing, and whether JC will be okay or not should not be judged in his first preseason game with a new team. Dan -You ARE a hater and not fair nor balanced. You must have some sort of quota for a pay bonus or something. I know this means nothing to you (because you're so great now), but I think I'll find someone elses column to read for a while. I don't feel I can get acurater information from your's anymore.

Posted by: Jon7 | August 13, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Dan, I too hope he succeeds and wish him the best, but the evidence isn't there that he see's the field well.

Posted by: Hattrik | August 13, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

"It was the O-line. Plain and simple."

Wrong again Bonor.

"it is 3rd and seven and the defense is in a zone at 8 yards. If "soup" elects to throw the 3 yard gimme checkdown, what percentage of the time will you get the first down."

I like this description, it's the Redskins offense the last 2+ years. I think you could also add that when "soup" has no pressure and overthrows a wide open Santana Moss to this equation.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 13, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Nobody here is addressing the most important issue:

The look on JC's face after Tony Romo gave him his hand like he was the Queen Of England! Yo, Campbell is not gonna kiss it dude, LOL.

*right click, save pic*

Posted by: walkdwalk | August 13, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

This is the only system JCampell will be successful in... any system that relies on strong run game, out patterns or short crossing patterns with receivers that can break tackles, whether it be shotgun or under center. Football on tv does a diservice to fans who want to know what the hell is happening and why their team can't move the ball. If they showed a high angle shot (like scouting video), you would see who is open.

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | August 13, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I see the campbell haters are soo eager to be right that all it takes is one pre season game and one quarter before they declare themselves money on him. The same guy who would have said its just a pre season game if he had gone 10-13 with a touchdown. This guy is a wimp sportswriter who thinks he knows the game because he reports on it. Look at his picture. Do you really think he has ever made any team at any level in his life? Now if a real football guy wants to have something to say about campbell's performance I will value their opinion. But not some towelboy who isnt half the man JC is.

Posted by: ged0386 | August 13, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

The only reason dan even has the privileged to critique any professional athlete in the media is because of a degree in journalism. He really has not earned the right based on any real football experience. Realize this guy knows as much about football and the rest of us. He is just trying to sell an article.

Posted by: ged0386 | August 13, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

What? "It Aint me" Campbell is still in the league? The potential ... oh, Lordy, Lord ... the potential ... future HOF material.

Posted by: hock1 | August 13, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

"I think you could also add that when "soup" has no pressure and overthrows a wide open Santana Moss to this equation."

And let's just throw out that bad case of the "dropsies" Moss had. He put up a pretty good Carlos Rogers imitation with so many easy ones he let get away.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 13, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Alan,

Please stop with that logical stuff. It has no bearing on this conversation. You think because JC had an average of 2.5 seconds to throw the ball, his best WR is a guy that would be most team's slot receiver, and a complete idiot for a coach the past two years that he may not be as bad as his performance.

We all know Colt Brennan would have put up Peyton Manning numbers in that offense.

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | August 13, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I wish Jason well in his future endeavors, but I'm not exactly shocked wit his performance.

Posted by: VTDuffman | August 13, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

It's just one quarter, fellas, take it easy. By the start of the season, Jason Shambles will have completed his journey to average NFL QB, where he belongs.

Posted by: shanks1 | August 13, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

For once, you're wrong Steinberg. Jason and the Raiders will finish 9-7 and possibly sneak into the playoffs as a wildcard. The geriatric Redskins (thanks for giving away the draft picks, Vinny) have an absolute cap at 7-9. Against a tough schedule they should finish 5-11, but Shanny may have a trick or two up his sleeve. Campbell and McNabb will finish with similar numbers -- unless the 29 year old right tackle goes down (followed closely by McNabb) who will be unable to take a punch like Jason.

Posted by: jburnetti | August 13, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Different uniform; same awful line play, same old dropped balls by the WR's. Jason Campbell has had the unfortunate circumstance of being the QB for two of the worst run NFL franchises of all time.

* I'm only talking about the Cerrato years.

Posted by: yampaco | August 13, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

raiders are making some changes on o-line and have some young talent..screaming about how campbell looked in the 1st pre-season game is just plain dumb no one knows how their team will be or washington's for that matter either team could be out of the running early in the season OR trying to clinch a play-off berth down the stretch.

Posted by: wathu19 | August 13, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

You're not a hater, you're 100% accurate. Jason Campbell is a subpar QB. Anyone with a mediocre IQ should know that. He has no pocket presence, isn't very accurate with the deep pass, and isn't a strong vocal leader. I agree 100% that he held the 'skins back. How many coaches did he have??? and it never worked out?? That should tell you something right there. He may reach "average" status one day, but I don't think he'll ever make the 'skins upset for trading him.

Posted by: swishjobs | August 13, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

LOL, pocket presence. Anyone with a less than mediocre IQ would know that there was no such thing as pocket presence.

And if you consider Jim Zorn a "coach", then your football IQ is below that of Ryan Leaf's playing ability.

Wow, I hate being lumped in with some Redskins fans, there are a large number that lack common football knowledge. My guy feeling is swishjobs is another one of the Cult of Colt members.

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | August 13, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | August 13, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | August 13, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

The first series was vintage Jason, with a check-down on 3rd. The second surprised me -- JC managed to yell at an o-liner who went off-sides, and he later had a decent pass on 3rd and 9 that was dropped.

The third he went long twice, both of which were about a yard from being a good play. The first long ball was catchable, and avoided the safety presence. The sack that killed the drive was vintage Jason -- getting piled into the dirt within a couple of seconds of the snap. Not really on him.

I don't know... if he finally becomes a leader and gets somebody to catch the long balls, he'll be a good upgrade for the Raiders.

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 13, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

I have been a Raider fan my whole life. Our offensive line didn't look good. Jason Campbell looked fine. When he had time, he was accurate. I am very grateful that we have him instead of Jabba The Russell this season. If we can protect him we will win the AFC West. Our defense looked fantastic other than Chris Johnson. I can't wait to shut all you Haters up this season. It so funny how every one forgets that we still have the 3rd best winning record in NFL history. Every team has a slump and we are not even close to just an average franchise. So many people hate us because you we're raised that way. And that's o.k. I am very excited for the coming season and I look forward to celebrating our divisional title this season. Let's get ready for a great year RAIDER NATION. Thank you to the true fan's for sticking it out win or lose. We are the best fans in the NFL and we will win prevail!

Posted by: smokin420 | August 14, 2010 4:00 AM | Report abuse

The great thing for JC, even he continues his career of subpar mediocrity, as Al Davis noted he will look like Jim Plunkett compared to what the average Raider fan will be used to.

Posted by: jbanks979 | August 14, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Frankly, I don't know how good JC would ever have been here but i do find it sad that they got rid of him just when they fixed the OL situation. Oakland's line is as bad as ours was last year so I think he will face the same problem he did here. I don't really care but it would have been nice to see what JC could be since he is so young.
Don't cry but remember we drafted JC one spot behind Aaron Rodgers - so close!

Posted by: agrawog | August 15, 2010 6:33 AM | Report abuse

I for one am glad Jason is gone. For his own sake.
My Redskins gave him no help - and I mean NO help!
No Interceptions for TDs. None!
No Fumble recoveries for touchdowns. None!
No punt returns for touchdowns. None!

No kickoff returns for touchdowns. None!
Do you know what we could have done with the just the points from a couple of any one of those?
The rest of the teams in our Division helped their QBs with TDs from at least one of thosw categories. the Boys helped Romo with at least a punt return TD and the Eagles and Giants gave their respective QBs three or more TDs from those categories. This team lost what - eight or more games by a touchdown or less? Just a little help in those categories could have helped Jason be 8 and 8 at worst - 10 and 6 at best. And who was the great - or even better than average - Running-back behind Jason?

With Portis hurt - the answer is... nobody!
I looked at the NFL individual rushing stats and they listed the top 40 - I repeat, the top FORTY rushers in the NFL in 2009, and there were no Redskins. None.

Man, that really ought to inspire a QBs confidence, huh? An O-line that gets him sacked forty-three times and can't get a running back a measely 600 yards in a season. Moreover, getting actually sacked 43 times means your QB got knocked to the ground close to 100 times!
Campbell too a vicious beating and still managed an 86-plus rating. Yeah, my friends, it was Jason HOLDING the skins back. LOL Exactly what games were YOU watching?

So Yes, I'm glad Jason is gone, and I hope he gets more HELP from his new team than he got from the Skins! But then, he would pretty much HAVE to, wouldn't he, since he got zero from the burgundy and gold.

And For the football "expert" who said he dumped off to backs to get those stats, take a look at the entire NFL QBs yards per pass, and show us any differences in Campbell's. They all are between 6 and 8 yards per completion. Jason is 7, I believe.

So come on, if you are going to trash Jason at least know enough about football to rant about his faults a in conjunction with the team's shortcomings.
One glaring "short" coming (no pun intended) is the fact that for 13 games last season, Campbell's two wideouts were the "shortest" tandem in the entire league.

Anyone who knows the game knows that what that means is that when you get into the red zone, you lose 40 percent of your passing arsenal. The Corner fade. What good is even throwing a corner fade when you WR is shorter than every CB in the league? Zorn didn't bother.
So prior to trashing one player - learn the game.
Peace out.

BTW, I looked at the stats of Elway, Montana and Aikman, to name a few, all HOF's, and they had the same or lower ratings than Campbell in their first four years as full-time starters.

McNabb's first four years? Pretty much the same too.

But one thing I do know for sure.
If this O-line doesn't keep McNabb upright, he won't be taking us anywhere.
Peace.

Posted by: dredscott1 | August 15, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

I think Campbell was a real gentleman, a great friend to the media, a gem in the community and a genuine role model. But I also think he was a below-average NFL quarterback who held the Redskins back for years. I've never been able to forget the way the offense took off the year he was injured and Todd Collins took over, or his 20-32 record as a starter. So I figure he'll struggle horribly in Oakland, and Donovan McNabb will pretty much immediately end any Campbell nostalgia.
_____
I agree 100%.. and have been saying as much since 2007. Campell is a very overrated QB. Big mistake by Skins not trading him in 2008 instead we got stuck with 2 of our worse years with him. What did the Skins get for him a 4th round pick in 2 years? The Skins were the ones who got a steal...

Posted by: sovine08 | August 16, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Did any of JC's apologists actually see the Raider game?? Many of you said that the Raider line was better than the Skins...JOKE! Did you see JC lead a reciver out of bounds when he clearly had the Cowgirl defender beat?? I guess an excuse will follow for that one. But of course its only pre-season...BUT if Campbell had lit the scoreboard up (yes I'm joking)the apologists would be saying JC's a Pro Bowl/Super Bowl QB!! JC is the main reason why I picked Broncos and Charger Defense for my fantasy team they are gonna have a field day against him. I cant wait for opening day!!

Posted by: usc932000 | August 16, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

We'll see ho well McNabb does behind a line that will get him sacked 45-50 times this season.

His numbers in 08, 03 and 00 surely look the exact same as Campbells did last year while getting sacked 43 times.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | August 16, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Dredscott1, you are so correct, and to add to all the facts you stated, Jason had one of the worst coaching staffs in the league. Jim Zorn was still learning and didn't know how to call plays. Because Snyder disrespected Zorn, the team lacked discipline and felt that they could get away with anything. That's exactly why Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly have not been effective. But now they are working under a coach that Snyder demands the team respect and suffering the consequences for not learning how to properly run routes. DT is listed as 3rd string and Kelly may be cut. Neither one of them stepped up and helped Jason accomplish a darn thing. So, you're right. He had absolutely no help. ZERO. Yet, his stats were almost the same as McNabb's, who played in a far superior offensive scheme with much better coaches and receivers. The skins fans are all giddy because McNabb beat the lowly Bills; but wait until they face some more serious opponents during the regular season. That o-line is going to have to work a lot harder to allow McNabb to deliver the ball.

Posted by: jposter2 | August 16, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm one of the people who thinks Campbell has what it takes to get it done... Actually, let me rephrase that:

I'm one of the people who thinks Campbell, if surrounded with what it takes, can get it done.

That didn't happen. And judging from Oakland's first preseason game, they upgraded everywhere but their O Line. If that stays as it is, they wont be getting anything done there, either.

Let us not forget... Campbell, when he got his first starts in the NFL, WAS an upgrade to what we had going. Campbell looked like a carefree gunslinger compared to Mark "So What If It's Third Down, I'm Throwing It Away" Brunell.

At least Campbell's throw aways were check downs. And he learned to be very very conservative with the ball, thanks to one Joe Gibbs. Zorn may have been worse. He criticized one of Colt Brennan's better throws in a preseason game because it COULD have been intercepted.

My biggest knock on Campbell: He is not very accurate on the deep ball. Who knows, maybe that is due to a lack of experience. Time will tell.

PS - If McNabb lasts the whole season, I'll eat my socks. I am not the least bit worried that that is going to happen. I'm hoping Campbell will have matured enough by now to know when to cash it in. No sense playing QB behind a crap O Line. Unless you are Michael Vick, that is.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 17, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse