Jerry Rice weighs in on Albert Haynesworth

And on the sixth day, Albert rested. And bloggers saw that behold, it was very good for Web traffic. And lo, the radio transcripts were fruitful and multiplied. And it was evening and it was morning on the sixth day.

Jerry Rice was sort of marginally well-known for his conditioning. Like, he wasn't the sort who would have prompted 61-year old magazine writers and 47-year old TV hosts to prove they were in better running shape than an NFL athlete. So I was actually curious what Rice might think about Albert Haynesworth, and he offered brief thoughts on ESPN Radio.

"Very disappointing, to be honest with you," Rice said. "I think it's a situation that they have to address, because it's very important to come into camp and to be able to pass that test. And I think he's tried to pass that test maybe three or four times, and he hasn't had success. When you're paying the guy that much money, you would think he would be a leader on that football team. And it's very discouraging when you see a situation like that happen."

Back in Ashburn, if you ask members of the Washington Redskins whether this is a distraction, they'll say no, by and large. But if you ask them whether it's helpful to the team....

"Me being an offensive player, it's really hard to comment on Albert's absence," Casey Rabach said on ESPN 980's Sports Reporters. "I think it's hurting the defense maybe more than anything. Those are the guys that need to work with him, those are the guys that need to get reps with Albert, those are the guys that've got to trust him come Sunday. And with Albert not being out there, they're lacking a lot of work that needs to get done. As an outsider, I'd love for him to be out here, I'd love for him to help us reach our goal and make this a great football team. But, you know, it is what it is."

Never has "it is what it is" been more truly spoken.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 3, 2010; 7:48 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Golic, Smith sort-of pass Haynesworth test
Next: Bobby Turner's sweatsuits

Comments

They'll never be able to trade him now. They've devalued him to much. I guess that was never a goal.
But now it's off the table.

Posted by: HanMy | August 3, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Please, please, please Dan, no more Haynesworth posts! Enough already - from you and everyone else. Jerry Rice only weighed in because Mike & Mike asked him about Haynesworth (they will not let it go either).

Let's just STOP!

Posted by: Lisa_R | August 3, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

This is the typical Shanahan crap here. We all have seen his I am the boss complex and frankly enough is enough. While I am not against having much more discipline than we have had in the past, especially over the last several years, he has always been over the top with it. I feel that we need to keep Albert and make him play no matter what (exception an injury). We are not going to trade him as you could never get anything reasonable for him now anyway and we have already paid him big bucks. In short he needs to be practicing with the players he is going to be playing with during the season. Get off your high horse Mike and lets get on with our prep.

Posted by: shschwarz | August 3, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

this whole thing is a problem . last year the storey was 92 is in camp and looks good. 92 did not miss any camp time last year almost 5 weeks , but in september players were pulling up with cramps in those games when it was hot . why aren't we hearing how MS is preparing us to play with out that problem . This thang is a joke now . We want to hear how 98 is working on 72 thats what we want !!!!!

Posted by: terryreece | August 3, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

More Haynesworth... need another fix... come on Dan, just one more post, I swear I'm gonna kick tomorrow...

Posted by: johnvandermyde | August 3, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: johnvandermyde | August 3, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

The opinions of former and current players on Haynesworth ceased to be interesting about 300 players ago.

Posted by: randysbailin | August 3, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't expect anything less coming from a workout warrior like Jerry Rice.

Posted by: MHEDRLT | August 3, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: shschwarz | August 3, 2010 9:31 AM |

Are you freaking serious? What high horse is Shanahan on? This guy is a paid professional player and can't freaking complete a conditioning test! I guess you want him to be given a pass to miss all OTA's then show up out of shape and just be placed on the field. In my opinion that attitude is why this team has sucked over the past several years. Do you not remember him playing two downs then having to be carted off the field? He needs to work his fat ass into playing shape and earn the right to practice with his teammates that by the way showed up for the OTAs.

Posted by: clwalker1906 | August 3, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

More Haynesworth coverage everyday!
Great signing Danny Boy! You really are a great judge of people and you have a real nack for spending the Redskins money wisely. In ten years you have taken a Washington treasure in the Redskins and made them a joke. Your approval rating has got to be worse than Congress. How could you possibly be a millionaire?

Posted by: StJohn1 | August 3, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

If I were to hear anymore Haynesworth comments from anybody, I would at least want them to be from inductees of the hall of fame such as Jerry Rice. Then when Dan posts transcripts like this I would at least know that the comments were coming from someone who was good enough and worked have enough to make it to the hall of fame. So essentially I don't want to hear anymore comments from people like Stan Kasten.

Posted by: Dash10 | August 3, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Why isn't all this AH conversation being brought to us by....wait for it....Mrs. Butterworth's syrup & pankcake mix.

Promotional gold...I tell you! Opportunity missed!

Posted by: clb_in_md | August 3, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shschwarz | August 3, 2010 9:31 AM |

Does integrity, accountability, responsibility, and being a man mean anything other than covering up and being an apologist for someone who clearly has no regards for doing the proper things it takes to become the BEST in a sport (something that Haynesworth even said in his initial news conference).....

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | August 3, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

This whole thing is staged between the Skins and Haynesworth. Having missed all of the OTA's, he had no idea of what to do in the daily scrimages. If he was just thrown in with there with the other players, it would have created some real friction. By having him fail the conditioning test, it gives him a week to work with an assistant D coach and get a handle on how to run the new defense.

Posted by: rock-o | August 3, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse