Jim Zorn talks about his return to Washington

I can't say I exactly miss any specific part of the Maroon and Black Era. Certainly not the perpetual scent of impending disaster. Jim Zorn was a kind, gentlemanly, fascinating guy, but having watched his press conference in Baltimore this week about his impending return to FedEx Field...yeah, I don't think I miss that, either.

Well, maybe the faces. The guy made great, great faces. Above is his "Gosh, oh, gee whiz" face from Tuesday. And he was, obviously, a prince to me and my peers, answering every question. Still. Watch the video below. I think you'll agree with me. Here's what he had to say on Tuesday, during some lengthy remarks about returning to Washington and what he learned as a head coach.

"I'm familiar with the stadium, that's for sure....I suspect I'll have some good feelings about what those fans do, how they support the Redskins, and some of the players I'm very fond of. It'll be just interesting going there and being on the other side....

"I think there's a lot of learning experiences, and I've written a lot of things down, I've thought about a lot of things, I've had some conversations with different people, just trying to get a feel for different issues. Some I wouldn't change, and some I wish I could have changed. And yet I really believe this, that we live in the circumstances, and we have to deal with the circumstances as they come. And so I think that's what we tried to do, we tried to make the most of what we had there. And here I am. Here I am....

"I got close to some of those players that are on that team, so I kind of wish them well, but we all move on. And my concentration is now to help this football team win. I'm really excited about being part of the Ravens, and that's what my concentration is. So I don't spend a lot of time going, Gosh, oh, gee whiz, I'm not this or that. Because we don't have time. We're all concentrating on and focusing on this football season. That's it."

Zorn also said he hasn't talked with Daniel Snyder since "the night he fired me," and he doesn't know whether they'll speak on Saturday.

(Worth noting, while I love the guys from Pro Football Talk, they seized on Zorn saying he "kind of" wishes the Redskins well, which comes across as much less notable on video. He meant "It's kinda like I'm wishing them well even though I'm not there," and not "I'm conflicted on the matter so only part of me hopes they don't crash and burn." In other words, "kind of" was more filler than substance.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 17, 2010; 9:49 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tourism official invites you to invade Philly back
Next: Wizards appear to tweak their uniforms

Comments

The FIRST thing he needs to ask The Danny is, "WHy don't you, me, and Vinny do lunch?"

Posted by: bandman227 | August 17, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is in a much, much better place.

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | August 17, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Great point about ProFootballTalk. Someone should tell that hack Florio to stop the lazy "reporting".

Posted by: doctortechie | August 17, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Whenever you're feeling down about the Maroon and Black Era, it's comforting to remember that there is one person in Washington who actually looks back on that time with fondness.

But if Jim Zorn should ever move, there will be zero such people.

Posted by: drischord | August 17, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Articles about Zorn are about as interesting as articles about Cerrato, which are only slightly more interesting than articles about LaVar Arrington, which are a shade less interesting than clipping my toenails.

Posted by: SkinsFan2010 | August 17, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

HAHAHA...the more i watch zorn speak the more he reminds me of ned flanders

Posted by: kickass10101 | August 17, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

He still lives in the area and works about 40 miles away. This isn't exactly MacArthur returning to the Phillipines.

Posted by: randysbailin | August 18, 2010 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Snyder already made a few snide remarks about Zorn on Hogs Haven. He's a truly class act.

Zorn should tell Snyder to Eff off.

I bet the Ravens take Zorn in, use they way he was treated as motivation, and beat the snot out of the Skins. That's what the good teams do.

Posted by: Scoonie97 | August 18, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

capscapscaps2 wrote: "Zorn is in a much, much better place."

As are the Redskins. Zorn is certainly among the top 10 most incompetent head coaches in NFL history. Great guy, lousy head coach.

Posted by: kemp13 | August 18, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I wish Zorn all the best in his future. He was as much a victim in Washington as anyone under Snyder and Ceratto. He is a class act and nothing wil lchange that.

Posted by: bobilly2 | August 18, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bobilly2 | August 18, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Although I agree Zorn was put in an impossible situation last year after the slow start, I disagree with the 'victim' sentiment. I guarantee Zorn knew what he was getting into when he first signed on as offensive coordinator then agreed to be the head coach. It was no secret around the NFL how dysfunctional the Snyder-Cerrato era REALLY was. Even upon his hiring Zorn witnessed first hand the depths of the situation (see: the botched coaching hirings, "fantasy football" approach to the draft, free agency, ect...).

At the end of the day Zorn was paid pretty good money to follow his dream of becoming a head coach in the NFL--unfortunately failed. Did management treat him terribly? Yes, of course, it was embarassing. But if he really believes his own philosophy about action and accountability, he would even agree, he's no victim.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | August 18, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Washington wes an apology to Jim Zorn for the way he was treated. First Vinny Cerrato abused Zorn by assembling a team without an offensive line, micromanaging his every move and abusing him. Vinny hopefully is gone forever. Snyder thankfully has put Cerrato and that era behind him and brought in quality management. We will never know how good Zorn could have been. The second part has not changed. Snyders radio station constantly attacked Zorn in a very unprofessional manner. Guys like Andy Polland, Steve Czaben, Kevin and Tom have never played a down in the NFL, College or high school but continue to attack everything that moves without the first clue about success in football or in life. Snyder should apologize and then clean house at WTEM. That crew is just perfect for a 4-12 team. Snyder will lose his money in the radio industry with these guys. He needs to get new management in there and get rid of Larry and Andy and Czabe and the rest of the wanna bes but never was. Clean house Dan. These guys are poison. Bring in people who know the game. Washington radio is a good market but you are going to lose out to WJFK unless you get some real people in there. Clean house. It worked at Redskins Park it will work at WTEM.

Posted by: HelloNewman53 | August 18, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Zorny is the epitome of a "bad penny." ;)

Actually, he's a real nice guy but I am SO glad he's not here anymore.

"I wish Zorn all the best in his future. He was as much a victim in Washington as anyone under Snyder and Ceratto."

I kinda agree with this. His hiring shows Cerrato was WAY in over his head as well and should never have been a GM here. I mean if someone offered you a head coaching position instead of a position coach anyone in thier right mind would take it and Zorn did.

I remember how angry everyone was last season. Ok, that's as much Snyder's fault as anyone elses.

You can't blame Zorn for being what he is, but at the same time Snyder and Cerrato should bear the brunt of blame for his hiring because they should have.

And they clearly didn't.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 18, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Dear Jim Zorn:

Good luck with your first game against your old team. It won't be as bad as it seems. You might actually enjoy it.

Love,
Norv Turner

Posted by: ecglotfelty | August 18, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Two words: Swinging Gate

Posted by: c_e_daniel | August 18, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

As terrible as the Zorn era was here, it was only a microcosm of the years of mismanagement under Vinny and Snyder. Not even crazy Al Davis would hire a guy to be offensive coordinator (a job he'd never held) and then promote him to head coach! The fact is that none of the top candidates were willing to take the job with the Snyder/Cerrato management team in place. It took last year's debacle before Snyder cleaned house and brought in experienced professionals in Allen and Shanahan to run the show.

Posted by: wizfan89 | August 18, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Actually, it was the "dumb and dumber" shirts and signs that did the trick. Finally, Dan blew his top over the signs and realized CeRATto was making him look bad. WHay did it take so long?

Posted by: bestmick1 | August 18, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Zorn was used and abused my the midget and he is a better man than Snyder will ever be. I wish him well and the man up there knows who is on the right track.

Posted by: mofares | August 18, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Zorn is and allways will be a QB coach! IMO, he will do well in baltimore because they put him back where he belongs! He will teach Flaco how to be better. The man is not head coach material. Good luck Mr.Zorn,but not this weekend!Hail to the REDSKINS!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | August 18, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse