John Harbaugh says Ravens ran over the Redskins

Every August, some fans and media types start talking about whether the Redskins and the Ravens have a rivalry, and other fans and media types chime in that this is ridiculous, and that they play in different conferences and have no shared history and just can't be rivals.

But at least the Ravens are trying. First they dumped Gatorade on Jim Zorn after a meaningless preseason win, eliciting a "Wow" from Phillip Daniels, and then Coach John Harbaugh pounded his chest a bit about the meaningless, valueless, pointless, does-not-count, will-soon-be-forgotten victory.

"We have had a good camp, it has been a lot of fun actually," Harbaugh told Ravens fans at the team's recent fan barbecue. "Guys like football, and our guys have gone to work....I thought when we played against the Redskins especially this last week, you saw that. I mean, our guys got after it pretty good, and we kind of ran over that team, and we're kind of proud of that. That's the way we ought to play."

The Ravens fans interrupted Harbaugh with cheers and he laughed.

"Yeah," he said. "That's what it was."

Someone save this item for next August.

(Via Pro Football Talk and The Beast)

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 27, 2010; 9:50 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: George Mason's Italian dance-off
Next: Strasburg, Theismann and D.C. sports injuries

Comments

That is all kinds of lol'ery. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that, since it was at a "fan BBQ", he was probably pandering to the purple-camoflauged crowd. I say that because my impression of Harbaugh is that he's a fairly intelligent, grounded guy, and not the type of homer blow-hard to blow a pre-season win over a team that everyone in the nation has your ranked ahead of out of proportion.

Then again, maybe the few years he's been in Bawlmer (hon!) have turned him into a Natty Boy-swilling, purple camo-wearing, moron. This would not surprise me in the least. I mean, I've worked in Baltimore for 6 years now, and I'm pretty sure my IQ has dropped at least 35 points in that time.

Posted by: RCBJr | August 27, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Well, McClain did run over Landry so hard he had to fake an injury to hold up the game.

Posted by: skins4eva | August 27, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

A victory in preseason starts your season with a zero. Let's see what both these teams look like in january.

Posted by: cowbell | August 27, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Well I'm happy for the Ravens. I'm glad they are feeling good about themselves. HIP HIP HOORAY!!!

Posted by: thecomedian1 | August 27, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Didn't their only real first team v. First team TD come off that silly fake punt?

Considering how bad we are vs. How good they're supposed to be, he ought to be concerned that it was so close when it mean anything.

Posted by: VTDuffman | August 27, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Ravens and Eagles are teams that talk tough and back it up on the field. Not hating on that at all.

Around here, all the talking is done with the off-season signings and NOT on the field.

Once the play starts talking, the rest won't matter...

Posted by: kahlua87 | August 27, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

The people who go around whining "it's not a rivalry" are the worst. Same type of morons pop up every February claiming that Duke and MD aren't rivals--as if you can't have more than one rival. I suppose the Eagles and Cowboys aren't rivals since Dallas and Washington are already rivals, eh? Merrrr

Posted by: Barno1 | August 27, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

You are the worst. Try to do some reporting for once. When the Ravens beat Miami a few seasons ago, the team dumped gatorade on Cameron because it was his first game against Miami since he was fired as their head coach. Just like they did with Zorn here.

Posted by: jk1492 | August 27, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

@Barno:

I don't consider it a rivalry because i simply don't care about the Ravens. I don't like them nor do I hate them. If they do well, it's all good with me. Unlike the Cowboys.

Posted by: sire1 | August 27, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Good for the Ravens. God knows it sucks to be the ugly sister in the Baltimore/DC sports scene.

Posted by: StuScott_Booyahs | August 27, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, let's go... Shanny vs. Harbaugh, Zorn vs. Whoever Does QBs now, high noon, August 2011, in OSAKA!

I'm happy to see the NFL moving from PC talking points to re-realizing this is just a game. If you can motivate a team to play better from a few comments, they weren't really much of a team to being with, were they?

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 27, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

i hope all the ravens fans living under the redskins television umbrella enjoy buying the nfl sunday package to watch their team every week.

the ravens have had a dominant defense for 11 years and have one super bowl to show for it. i know the redskins have been donkey nuts, but the ravens have not matched the redskins decade of dominance (4 super bowls and 3 wins in 10 years) which is sad considering the amount of talent they have had on defense since 1999.

Posted by: goose33 | August 27, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | August 27, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

==========================================

I guess most of DC are whiners then. The Washington Post has done polls on this before and the last poll came back 95% to 5% against it being a rivalry. I was at the game last week and there was absolutely zero sense of a rivalry in the stands. It was just another preseason game that nobody wearing burgundy and gold cared about. I live in Maryland just about equi-distant from the two cities and it is definitely two different worlds. Raven fans always want to treat it as a big game and Redskin fans never give a damn. This is all about the treatment Jack Kent Cooke gave Baltimore when they were without a franchise (even though he was simply doing the same thing the Orioles were doing to DC at the time). There is a leftover bitterness about it and as a result one side cares (Baltimore) and one side yawns (DC). Unless they play regularly in the regular season which is highly unlikely, this will NEVER change. The Cowboys, Eagles, and Giants are the Redskin rivals.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | August 27, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Ha. Only the Colts & Pats have been in the playoffs more than the Ravens the last decade...

And they're excited about winning a preseason game against the 5th worst team from last year.

Posted by: Scoonie97 | August 27, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Its a "regional" rival. It places 4 or 5 in the skins rivalry list. Here is my personal Redskins hate list order.

1 Dallas Cowboys
27 Tennessee Titans
28 Cincinnati Bengals
29 Cleveland Browns
30 Houston Texans
31 Jacksonville Jaguars

Posted by: alex35332 | August 27, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

There are no regional rivals. The Skins have three and only three true rivals. You can find them under the NFC East banner. The Raven fans need to let go of this and get real rivalries like the Browns, Bengals, and Steelers (at least this one has heat). It's an absolute joke that many Raven fans think the Redskins are their main rivals and believe me some do as I have met many of them.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | August 27, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Alex, your list is spot on

Posted by: merajc86 | August 27, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Typical bmore inferiority complex shining through.

Ravens are a rival, just after all the division rivals

Posted by: jpfterps | August 27, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Haha. They "kind of ran over that team", but needed a to run a fake punt in the second quarter of a pre-season game. Way to go, John.

Posted by: jcreech1 | August 27, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

They used a trick play in preseason to win a PRESEASON game. Whoopteeedooooo!

I have spent too many years with the mindset of the NFC East teams as the main rivals. I simply don't care if the Ravens or Steelers win or lose. Yes the fans can be annoying at times but so can any fan base for that matter. That's doesn't constitute a rivalry.

Posted by: blackandred777 | August 27, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

If Baltimore wants to be DC's rival they need to at least change to the NFC.

Now I would love to swap and get back the original NFC teams that changed to the AFC during the realignment in exchange for post realignment expansion teams.

Panthers, Seahawks and Bucks for Colts, Steelers and Browns.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 27, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I guess Harbaugh has been around Baltimore enough to catch the inferiority complex.

Posted by: poguesmahone | August 27, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

without a doubt they played more physical the entire game. Our 1s held up to their 1s, but you could see the difference in their second and 3rd string compared to ours. I'm a Redskin fan, but I also know what it takes to win. The Ravens exposed our continual lack of depth and lack of physicality. Many Redskins fans can admit we have admired the way the Ravens have played and been managed for the past 12 years or so under Ozzie Newsome.

Posted by: oknow1 | August 27, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

@hateisnotafamilyvalue: It's funny you should bring up the JKC/Baltimore angle; I have lots of "Orioles" friends, and they all either deny that the O's ever did any such thing, or claim "that's different", implying that its OK for the O's to block an MLB team in DC, while not OK for JKC to do the same for an NFL team in Baltimore. Of course, these are the same morons who claim that the Ravens have more SuperBowls than the Skins (they claim that the 3 won by the Baltimore Colts count as Ravens SuperBowl wins). As you can see, logic always prevails in Baltimore.

Posted by: RCBJr | August 27, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Upon further reflection................I can see the regional rivalry point. I can't tell you how stoked I get for the Redskin/Panther games. You can just toss the records out when these two intense regional rivals meet................ ;)

Posted by: Gambrills4 | August 27, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

oknow1,

Respect I agree with, that doesn't make it a rivalry. I respect the Chargers but i could also care less about them.

RCBJr,

Baltimore has only won 2 Super Bowls (1970 & 2000). They have appearred in 3. DC has won 3 Super Bowls and appearred in 5.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | August 27, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | August 27, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Hah! I'd love to see this imaginary poll in which 95% of respondents said Ravens - Redskins was not a rivalry.

Lyingisnotafamilyvalue.

Beat it

Posted by: Barno1 | August 27, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I am a Redskins fan, and I don't like the Ravens (out of hometown loyalty), but I respect what they have done.

For the past 10-years+ (the Danny era for the skins) the Ravens have been a much better run franchise in every aspect.
Even mentioning Danny/Vinny in the same sentence as Bisciotti/Newsome is an insult to any NFL fan. Danny/Vinny were like a group of adolescents managing their fantasy team while Ravens management was building and running a professional organization.

Hopefully Allen/Shanahan can bring some respectability back to the Redskins.

Posted by: curiousinva | August 27, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

@Gambrills4: Gracias on the info. I knew the Skins had won 3 of 5, but the Colts/Ravens numbers I was quoting from some of the morons I work with. The point is, though, they really believe that the Colts SB wins COUNT AS RAVENS SB WINS. I've pointed out to them the epic failure of that line of logic, but they are adamant that Ravens are the old Colts - as in, one and the same franchise. As part of this line of logic, they also claim that the Ravens were NEVER the Browns, but then also make fun of the Browns fans for "whining" about losing their team - they even run radio commercials before the 2 Browns games with made-up songs about how whiny the Browns fans are for complaining about losing their team.

Posted by: RCBJr | August 27, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

barno1,

Nothing imaginary about it but don't expect me to recall the date it was published. It was during the preseason sometime during the last five years. Misplaced arrogance or your lack of intelligence does not make me a liar. Nothing but love!

RCBJr,

I am both an O's fan and a Skins fan. To imply that the two franchise blockades were any different takes a serious lack of gray matter. I've heard that before and I challenge anybody out there to explain in detail to us how the two are different. Expect to hear only crickets.......

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | August 27, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

c'mon were talking about baltimore..baltimore... c'mon

Posted by: caps67 | August 27, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

It sounds like Harbaugh got a little "Hardbaugh On" from his little fake punt at the end of the first half. Hope he didn't blow the Raven's wad on a meaningless pre-season game, especially since his offense hadn't done squat but shoot a bunch of "Flacko" up until that point.

And I'm sure Ray "The Slasher" Lewis was having a great time carving up all the meat at the barbecue - he's so deadly skillful with 'dem knifes.

At least the Ravens are upholding the thug image they so cherish.

Posted by: SkinsKen | August 27, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg -- they DID run over the Redskins. He's just stating the obvious...and if they were to play in the reg season they probably would again. BTW -- J. Campbell looked awfully good last week. Are you getting ready to eat crow yet? Oh, I know it just a preseason game right?

Posted by: dbunkr | August 27, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I've got to make a comment about alex35332's hate list. Four of the nine teams you hate the most are in the AFC? Teams the Redskins play once every FOUR YEARS?

And the BILLS are NUMBER EIGHT? You hate them because the Redskins whooped their ass in the Super Bowl 20 years ago?

Bizarre.

Posted by: StuScott_Booyahs | August 27, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

dbunkr,

I'm dining on crow. Everybody knows the NFL is all about the preseason. It's a joke that they even start the regular season. We know everything about 2010 that we need to know right now. Have a Natty Boh on me!

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | August 27, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

------------
Uh ... yeah.

Posted by: StuScott_Booyahs | August 27, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm getting tired of writing this year after year after year but.....Some Ravens fans are still holding a grudge over how the Redskins were rammed down our throats after the Colts left town and how JK Cooke tried to block an expansion team from coming to Baltimore. Why, I don't know - and I've stopped caring. We have a team, Cooke is dead, and the team has passed out of his family (to the everlasting regret of some Redskin fans).

That said, I"m a Ravens season ticket holder and I treat the Skins with benign neglect until every 4th year when the Ravens play them. I hated them in 2008 and I won't hate them again until 2012. Exhibition games don't count.

Steelers, Bengals, Browns, Colts, Titans, Jets, Patriots, now we're talking!

Posted by: franthefan | August 27, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

franthefan,

Kudos and an amen my brother!

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | August 27, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

hateisnotafamilyvalue,

You are not remembering the numbers correctly: that is a fact. I assure you 95% of WaPo poll respondents never said Redskins-Ravens is not a rivarly. You may not be a liar per say, but you are spreading a lie.

spreadingalieisnotafamilyvalue

Posted by: Barno1 | August 27, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

@Barno1: It is not a lie that no one gives a damn about the Ravens in DC.

Posted by: StuScott_Booyahs | August 27, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

barno1

I am remembering it correctly. However, it could have changed after I voted and checked it but that is definitely what it is was at the time. I remember it very well because I was stunned at the numbers.

Posted by: hateisnotafamilyvalue | August 27, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Its probably like the Giants/Eagles rivalry. Giants fans, or at least the ones I know, could not possibly care less about the Eagles except during the two games a year where they play. Eagles fans, however, abhor the Giants, and if a Giants win would somehow ensure an Eagles playoff berth, Eagles fans would STILL root for the Giants to lose. Its a one-sided rivalry.

Posted by: RCBJr | August 27, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I have a personal dislike for the Ravens and Orioles but I think it comes from having lived in Baltimore for 11 years (college and work) and experiencing the hatred that most in Baltimore have for DC. Most people in DC I have found are ambivalent towards Baltimore, think it's a nice town, has it's charms, etc. But for whatever reason, people in Baltimore really seem to dislike DC. I think that's why so many in DC were able to be O's fans when the Senators left, but no one in Baltimore adopted the Redskins when the Colts left. You can only hear about how much your hometown (and hometown teams) suck before you start wanting to give it back, thus my intense dislike for the Ravens and O's. I personally can't see how anyone in DC can still root for the O's after that organization spent so much time trying to keep MLB out of DC for all of those years. As far as football goes, I dislike the Ravens pretty much on the same level as I dislike the Cowboys and the other NFC East teams.

Posted by: DCsportsfan25 | August 27, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

"The thievery of the Browns is infinitely worse than moving vans in the night. Raven fans should be ashamed of themselves for that kind of hypocritical mockery."

+1 times a million...

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | August 27, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

DCsportsfan25,

Your analysis is spot on. I never have been able to understand the Baltimore hatred/inferiority complex towards DC. Of course Baltimore isn't as nice a town as DC but DC is the nations capital for pete sakes. Not many cities can stack up to the buildings and amenties in DC. However, as you stated I think Baltimore is a nice town and does compare favorably to cities such as Pittsburgh, Philly, Norfolk etc.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | August 27, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

@Gambrills4: I think it's "second city" syndrome. You see it all the time with Philly; they're stuck between the Nation's Capital and arguably the financial center of the universe (NYC). To show how much "better" they are, the absolutely hate on both cities and anything that has to do with them. Baltimore does the same thing, although the JKC blocking a franchise thing contributes to their hatred.

Its also, on some level I think, jealousy. In a moment of honesty, I will admit that the Ravens over the last 10 years have had a better franchise, better management, and fielded a better overall team (in terms of record). Instead of everybody talking about how wonderful they've been, the world still talks about the Redskins. Why? Because they're in the most powerful city on Earth, and have a storied history - two things that the Ravens and Baltimore will never be able to claim.

Posted by: RCBJr | August 27, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

RCBJr,

I agree with everything you said but the history. The Colts of the late 50's through the early 70's were pretty special.

Another reason so many talk Redskins not Ravens is the Redskin fan base is way larger and always will be. The Redskins and Ravens pretty much split the fans in MD 50/50 with the exception of Western MD which is Steelers territory. The two cities neutralize each other and are a wash. However, the Skins own the entire state of VA which the Raven fan base cannot and never will be able to compete with. Further, as you travel north Eagle territory takes over. Their fan base is sandwiched and as a result is limited in scope.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | August 27, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I agree with you about the Colts, they DO have a storied history. The Ravens, however, do not. That was the comparison I was making.

You're spot on about fanbase size, though. I would also add that although Western Maryland (specifically, west of Frostburg, so basically just Garrett County) is mainly Steelers country, there are still quite a few Skins fans out there. Most of them are retirees or transplants from the DC area. There are even some Ravens fans out there, due to transplants and vacationers from Baltimore.

A side note: I grew up on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, in a tiny town just south of Ocean City. Born in '78. When I was growing up (early 80's), you were either a Redskins fan, an Eagles fan, or a Steelers fan (except for me, I started off rooting for the Lions, looooong story). I'm sure they were there, but I never saw ANY Colts paraphenalia or fans anywhere. In fact, it was mostly Redskins fans. Now if you go down there, particularly to Ocean City, its basically Baltimore East. So much purple camo it makes me want to gouge out my eyes.

Posted by: RCBJr | August 27, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

The Ravens mean nothing to me but there is one thing that bothers me. Their merchandise is butt ugly. The Ravens need to ditch whomever is in charge of their merchandising. If it's not the ugliest in the NFL then their merchandising is definitely amongst the ugliest. Just say no to purple camo and overly gaudy black birds. Way over the top. This is one area the Ravens could learn something from the Orioles whose merchandise is completely classy and not harmful to the eyes.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 27, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Ravens fan here...maybe it is just me, but I see the Redskins fans making more out of this than Ravens fans. Yes, they gatoraded Zorn (which many Ravens fans thought was silly for a pre-season game), but the Ravens have a tradition of doing that when players/coaches face their ex-teams. And yes, they did run over the Redkskins, but Harbaugh has made it a point to develop physically tough teams that go hard, even against each other (many non-Baltimore journalists that go to Ravens camp say it is the hardest hitting in the NFL...for good or bad).

The Redkskins just happened to be "the other team". This is getting way more play in DC than in the Baltimore Sun or the Ravens message boards.

But, again, maybe that is just me....good luck against the Jets, stay healthy, and do some running-over of your own.

Posted by: Peterb58 | August 27, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

John Harbough = Big Blow Hard!!
Anybody that thinks that the Ravens are the Redskins rival should not call themselves true fans of football! IMO, I am glad that they are not the Redskins rival! Bunch of Thugs in the murder capital of the U.S.! I have also been working in Baltimore for the last 6 years and I know that my IQ has suffered just being around these idiots!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | August 27, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Peterb58,

Please............To say it means more to DC is absurd and if you really are from Baltimore than you know it too. The only reason this is generating so many comments is that Skins fans are sick and tired of Raven fans trying to ram this rivalry garbage down our throats. We simply don't feel the same way and would like you guys to just shut up about it.

Posted by: croftonpost | August 27, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Where is this Baltimore place? Is that the place with all the smokestacks and the outdoor Kmart they call the Inner Harbor right before you get to the tunnel?

Posted by: AlexVa1 | August 27, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

He's just jealous because despite their record over the last 10 years and a Superbowl win. They are still having to play in a SKINS TV MARKET. Hail to the SKINS baby WOOOHOOO!!! Take that edgar allen poe and stick where the sun dont shine!!!! Baltimorons are funny!

Posted by: VGOGHEDGE | August 28, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

27 Tennessee Titans
28 Cincinnati Bengals
29 Cleveland Browns
30 Houston Texans
31 Jacksonville Jaguars

Posted by: alex35332 | August 27, 2010 11:16 AM

Miami Dolphins at #9?! Have you forgotten the 1973 Super Bowl? Please..

New England Patriots @ 22? Not after that 52-7 loss in 2007.

Oakland Raiders @ 11.. your list is a joke. Of course I hold grudges, man! Nobody runs over my Redskins, 38-9, in 1984 Super Bowl gets away from my memory banks!

My rivalry list, dude! It's shorter.

1. Dallas Crybabies
2. New York Giantturds
3. New England Spies
4. Miami Tuna
5. Oakland Clowns

They all are deserving of a Haynesworth-stomping treatment!

HTTR