LaRon Landry's fake leg injury

With all the craziness after Saturday's scrimmage (Haynesworth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), I forgot to mention my favorite in-game moment: LaRon Landry's fake injury. This happened early in the second quarter, and was -- as you'll see -- completely ignored by the announcers. But it was fairly awesome.

Before I begin, I'm not criticizing Landry, the trainers, Joe Theismann, Mike Patrick, Rob Dibble or Albert Haynesworth. I just thought this was amusing. Thanks to Reader Bob for pointing this out, since I was at the game at the time.

And with that, we're off.

The incident began when Landry lowered his head to take on Ravens running back Le'Ron McClain.

Landry was in on the tackle, and seemed fine as he walked away, but something had happened to his helmet, which he began to fiddle with almost immediately after the hit.

He kept fiddling and fiddling, but a strap was floating free inside the helmet, getting in the way of his eyes, and he couldn't fix it in time.

So Landry then began running to the sidelines and gesturing for a replacement, jumping up and down and waving his arm. Apparently, though, this was not going to happen in time.

(NOTE: From TV, it was impossible to tell how many men the Redskins had on the field. People at the game have since told me that the Skins only had 10, and that Landry's issue was with that, not with his helmet.)

Whoa! Where'd he go???????

Oh, there he is. Down in a heap, it turned out, clutching his knee, although soon he would instead begin clutching his hamstring.

"Uh oh," Theismann said. "LaRon Landry is down right now."

"You hope that's a cramp," Patrick added.

"You almost think, as muscular as he is, you almost have to think that it possibly could be that," Theismann said.

Landry looked back, presumably to make sure officials had noticed his plight. They had, and the clock stopped.

So a trainer came out to attend to the clearly stricken Landry, who pointed to his helmet while the trainer massaged his leg, which seemed odd.

"[McClain] hit Laron Landry so hard that the Redskins safety was forced to recline and call for the trainer, pridefully pretending to deal with a leg cramp as he removed his helmet to clear his head from the collision," wrote one Ravens blogger, evidently blinded by purple camo.

Note to this blogger: He was fixing his helmet. Or, I guess, maybe waiting for an 11th player. Thanks.

Landry was with the trainers for about 21 seconds. Then he hopped up, walked to the sidelines with no limp, and grinned while the trainer worked on his helmet.

"If you're not in this area, it is very warm, very humid tonight," Patrick noted. "And he's up in a hurry, so you have to assume [cramps is] what it is."

The Ravens were briefly flagged for a delay-of-game penalty, before officials realized they hadn't re-set the play clock after Landry's injury. Or "injury," I guess.

And the announcers were duly impressed by his recovery.

"He even scared the cramp out of his legs," Theismann said. "It's like, oh, I'm on the ground, get out of here! Get away from me or I'll hit you too!"

"Unbelievable," Patrick said. "He is some specimen."

"That's got to be the quickest recovery from a cramp known to man," Theismann said, without a trace of irony. "But sometimes they come and go."

"Problem is they usually come back," Patrick observed.

As far as I could tell, this one never did.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 24, 2010; 2:01 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vinny Cerrato calls Haynesworth issue "a huge distraction"
Next: LaRon Landry is enormous

Comments

Oh the wonders he could do on a soccer field.

Posted by: JHopper2 | August 24, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Hilarious.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 24, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

He needs to save his "A" material like this for the regular season, now they'll be watching for it.

Posted by: Stickyfeet_99 | August 24, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

When I heard Theismann's tone I thought he knew it was a fake injury.

Posted by: caps512 | August 24, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

This is actually wrong.. If you were at the game you could see that his helmet broke and he was waving to the sideline for a replacement and nobody was paying attention so because he couldnt find a replacement he faked the injury so we didnt have to burn a timeout because he came all the way to the sideline yelling and then just fell down was actually a heads up play and would have saved us a timeout in the regular season

Posted by: Jpmoney0102 | August 24, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Theismann totally knew it was fake. And it was a smart move by Landry. I give him a credit for thinking that quickly.

Posted by: rallenii | August 24, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

LOL, i was at this game but i didn't see it happen. agree with previous poster though he should have saved his A game acting job for the regular season. haha

Posted by: destewar | August 24, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

it was a good move to save the timeout, but it freaked me out when all i saw was him writhing in pain on the ground.

Posted by: goose33 | August 24, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

At least Mike Patrick didn't start talking about Duke Basketball... or Britney Spears...

Posted by: Scoonie97 | August 24, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

LOL... GO RAVENS!!!

Posted by: Joe69 | August 24, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

"but it freaked me out when all i saw was him writhing in pain on the ground."

Give him an Oscar?

Posted by: eorr | August 24, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

"My liver! My liver!"

Posted by: dcunitedfan3 | August 24, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Did Joe T. really know what was going on? It sounded like to me that neither one of them on the booth had a clue what was going on. Why wouldn't they just talk about it instead of tongue in cheek? Seems like that would be good 'TV'???

Posted by: really9 | August 24, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Soccer players do this all the time. Football players tend to not want to do this because they see how fake and crybabyish it looks when the soccer players do it. Good weapon to keep in the back pocket though.

Posted by: unquiltom | August 24, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

It was still Danny and Vinnie's fault!

Posted by: Leeguru | August 24, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I thought one of the receivers did a double move on him like last year and that's how he ended up.

Posted by: AsstGM | August 24, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping I would get an explanation for this. I remember the camera showing Landry jumping around waving like a lunatic for a few seconds and then suddenly decide to fall to the ground -- yes it looked quite intentional.

After hearing them talk about a cramp I thought maybe he really did have some kind of leg issue and then after not being able to walk it off hit the ground to get off the field in time. The helmet and 10 men obviously made more sense.

Actually pretty good thinking on his feet there. Worth a laugh at least. I don't know how it completely flew over the announcers' heads though. They must not have been watching the preceding seconds where Landry was jumping around.

Posted by: smshadowman | August 24, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

There's no way Theismann knew what was going on. If he did, do you really think he'd pass up the opportunity to tell us he knew what was going on?

Posted by: mack1 | August 24, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Mike Patrick is a terrible play by play announcer. He makes a lot or mistakes, and
he doesn`t know football.
Theisman..knows football, but is so busy telling some story which is not relevant to the game...that he forgets to name players involved in a play..and what is happening on the field in real time. NO WONDER ESPN FIRED HIM..AND HE CAN`T GET A REAL SPORTS JOB DURING THE REGULAR SEASON.

We need less B.S. and more up to date commentary. It may only be pre-season..but fans want to know more about all the guys trying to make the team.

Bring back RIGGO!

Posted by: blazerguy234 | August 24, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I was watching the game Sunday morning (replayed on NFLN on DirecTV), and I started laughing out loud when I saw Landry go down "in agony." The only thing missing was the old-fashioned stretcher they bring out at soccer games to carry off the wounded. Hysterical.

Posted by: KALeeForniaSkins | August 24, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

The trainers sprayed him with that magical World Cup aerosol spray. Landry really broke his femur, but the spray fixed it. Good thing we have that spray.

Posted by: Section104 | August 24, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Too funny! This reminds me of the NFL of the late 80's/90's where dudes faked injuries all the time in close games to stop the clock...

Posted by: priceisright | August 24, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Scoonie97 |

Oh sh_t! Thought I was the only one who noticed what a bootlicking Duke azzwipe Patrick is!

Posted by: iubiquity | August 24, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure Sonny on 980AM caught it, Joe T didn't.

Posted by: Dennis703 | August 24, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Jeez, Steinberg, what did the Ravens ever do to you all (other than regularly finish higher in the standings than the Redskins)? Love the work but you complain endlessly about anything Ravens/Orioles related. It's one thing to harp on Lebron James or Sidney Crosby, but let's be honest, there is no beltway rivalry, and some people in B-more may actually enjoy some unbiased (read: less whiny) coverage for your neighbors up north.

Posted by: J-Wiz | August 24, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

LOL LL!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: rachel216 | August 25, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I love that Ravens fans feel the need to read a DC paper's blog about a DC sports team just to see if anyone is talking smack about their team. Could that chip on your shoulder get any bigger, Ravens Nation?

Posted by: RCBJr | August 25, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

"Oh god, my duodenum's acting up!"

Posted by: RyanInFx | August 25, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

They must teach this trick at LSU. See Matt Flynn and Jacob Hester from the 2007 season.

Geaux Tigers!

Posted by: mikeVI1 | August 25, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

@RCBJr

Would you like to jump to any more conclusions?

Posted by: J-Wiz | August 25, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

@RCBJr

FYI, I actually am from the DC area, I grew up in MoCo. And if you can't tell from my name, I'm a Wizards fan who keeps up on the blog (plus I went to UMD).

I read the blog because I happen to think Steinberg is a talented writer and for the most part enjoy the content. I don't go trolling message boards to see what other cities write about my team.

Would you like to jump to any more conclusions, smart guy?

Posted by: J-Wiz | August 25, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

@J-Wiz: I'd point out that I never assumed you from Baltimore, just that you were a Baltimore fan--as in, Baltimore Ravens fan. Is that an incorrect assumption?

Posted by: RCBJr | August 25, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

@JHopper2:
That's gotta be the funniest thing I've read on Redskins Insider EVER.

Posted by: jjhare | August 26, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

the only reaction i can think of is LOLOLOLOLOL

Posted by: j762 | August 26, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse