Larry Michael defends DeAngelo Hall

Under the theory that there's no more noble life's calling than stoking a feud between two rival sports-talk radio stations, it's time for Larry Michael vs. 106.7 The Fan: The DeAngelo Hall Episode.

Man, there's got to be a better way to make a buck.

Anyhow.

Round I

Prompted by a caller, the Kevin & Rock Show spent a few moments the day after the Redskins' first preseason game discussing the DeAngelo Hall interception, where Hall stepped out of bounds on the return.

"The only thing that I could figure that DeAngelo Hall did was try not to hurt the quarterback in the NFL preseason," Kevin said, wondering if this was proper etiquette.

"No etiquette," countered Rocky Parrish, who has played high school, college and minor league football. "It's one team versus another team. No, hell no. You are trying to hurt the other man."

"I'm trying to figure out why he didn't do what he was supposed to do, run the damn quarterback over," Kevin said.

"I thought it was maybe because the quarterback was speeding up," Rocky said. "The quarterback literally stood straight up and stopped. I was like, unreal."

Round II

DeAngelo Hall called in to the show's next segment to good-naturedly defend himself. I wrote up this incident both on my blog and in the newspaper, because I thought it was funny that Hall would call into the show to engage his critics.

And that, I figured, was where the story would end.

Round III

Except the ESPN 980 crew began discussing the same issue during one of its Saturday pre-game shows. Larry Weisman brought up the topic, as I recall, and sort of indicated that he thought Hall had handled the runback appropriately. And then Larry Michael wanted to say something.

"There were three defenders right on top of him," Michael said. "He stepped out of bounds. This is not Riggo running the football. This is DeAngelo Hall, a DB, that made a great pick. They subsequently got a touchdown on that possession. Who in the heck would criticize him? What knucklehead, who's never stepped foot on the football field, never stepped foot in the pressbox, never stepped foot on the sidelines of a practice even, what knucklehead would make such a critique of DeAngelo Hall?

"I'm just saying, give me some credibility, give me some credibility, someone. I mean, the guy's in a preseason game, makes a great pick. For anybody, that's so out of left field, it just shouldn't even be talked about....No credibility from the source."

Now, maybe "the source" was the 106.7 caller, in which case this current feud is between Larry Michael and weekend callers on The Fan. Either way, I can virtually guarantee that the comments on this item will criticize me for dredging this up again.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 24, 2010; 10:49 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Theismann and Riggins disagree on McNabb
Next: Mitch Williams calls Strasburg injury "a product of the pitch count"

Comments

Larry Michael defending a Redskins player? No way! Guy is a joke. Get him outta here.

Posted by: dufie001 | August 24, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

i actually agree with larry michael here. why should hall go after unnecessary contact (where he might gain three to five more yards) when he just made an interception that put the ball on the ten yard line in a preseason game. i mean, i like hard-nosed football, but we don't need something like another clinton portis preseason shoulder injury...it was a smart play by DHall. wish i could say that happened more often.

Posted by: bacaje | August 24, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

It's the preseason. Jesus.

Posted by: StuScott_Booyahs | August 24, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I love how the least credible person covering the Skins (L. Michael) is calling out others for a lack of credibility. Maybe you should stop eating out of Snyder's hand before criticizing the credibility of others, Larry.

Posted by: rucks35 | August 24, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I have no problem with D Hall pulling up and getting out of bounds. It is preseason.
But Larry Michael's defense included "never stepped foot in the pressbox, never stepped foot on the sidelines of a practice even." Really, Larry, Really?????

Last time I checked the pressbox does not require any skills related to the breakdown of plays or the performance on the field.

Judging by the Wonderlic scores of tremendous players who go on to become "brilliant" coaches I would go as far to say that at least 70% of the Redskins fan base would outscore them on that test. So the question for Larry is do we really need to go into a pressbox in order to evaluate and critique the play of Hall or any other player.
Is the critique of this play debatable? Sure. Hall has a reputation amongst the fan base for being soft and avoiding contact. Which isn't that suprising since he is an FSU CB.
But Larry "I am the ultimate Homer" Michael dismissing the evaluation because those people who assert their analysis of Hall is just one more chapter in his career as Snyder's Suck Up. The fact that Redskins Nation Show appears to be filmed in his basement just makes him seem even more contrived.
(Dear Comcast and Redskins, Instead of filming Redskins Nation in the basement move it outdoors to the shed the Hogs used to meet in. At least we can get nostalgic as we hit mute.)

Posted by: Hank4 | August 24, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

There needs to be a story about how horrible Larry Michael is as the Redskins play-by-play guy. Not sure if anyone listens to games on the radio anymore, but when I was forced to a few times last year while being on the road I realized just how bad this guy is.

Posted by: davispond | August 24, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Larry Michael fired Frank Herzog because he wanted to hang with Sam & Sonny on Sundays. He is Yoko Ono to me, and is yet another reason that the Redskins have sold every piece of decency I grew up on.

I hope that at the end of that small, small man Snyder's life, he realizes that his fantasy of purchasing his boyhood heroes so he could have his toys has not only ruined them for himself, but for the millions of people who used to love the team and now just see them as a bitter pill of disappointment, incompetence, and rapacious profitmaking.

Posted by: Section406 | August 24, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

"At least we can get nostalgic as we hit mute."

lol!! what a funny (but so true) line!

Larry Michael is the worst homer ever. Does anybody remember when he soooo hated the thought of Chad Ochocinco coming here and then Bram Weinstein fooled him on April Fools day saying that the Redskins had traded for Chad? All of a sudden Larry was saying all these great things about Chad, saying he would be a great addition to the team, etc., then Bram said "April Fools!!" Larry was pissed and Bram left to go to ESPN not soon afterwards..not sure if the two events were related.....

Posted by: damn1 | August 24, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Larry Michael is a no talent hack.

Posted by: mb15 | August 24, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

The Kevin and Rock show is terrible. Rock thinks he's a HOFamer when all he did was play for Langley HS. Typical dbag from Langley. Who cares what D.Hall did in the FIRST...let me repeat FIRST preseason game. The game will be forgotten come week 1 when it all counts. Get over yourself Rock...you ain't shiznit.

Posted by: FloresFan | August 24, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

My bad..he actually went to Oxon Hill. Still a Dbag though.

Posted by: FloresFan | August 24, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I anxiously await the day we no longer have to say read or hear Larry Michaels name.

Posted by: dcmg | August 24, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

larry might be a no talent hack, but in this case he's absolutely right. DOES ANYONE REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED TO PORTIS A COUPLE YEARS AGO IN THE PRESEASON??? anyone criticizing DHall for stepping out of bounds IN THE PRESEASON needs to have their head checked. seriously. end of story.

Posted by: destewar | August 24, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Larry Michael may actually gargle more of Danny's man-juice than a poster on here who is always on Danny's jock.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 24, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Frank Herzog > Larry Michael by about a million times !!!

Posted by: thebone | August 24, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey Larry, fire yourself and bring back Frank Herzog and then we will talk about your credibility. You work directly for the man (Snyder), so your credibility is zero. Your propaganda shows on Comcast don't help either and are garbage as entertainment.

Posted by: JAMNEW | August 24, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm constantly amazed Larry can talk at all with Danny Snyder's junk in his mouth.

Posted by: mercedeskk | August 24, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mercedeskk | August 24, 2010 4:53 PM
-----------

Well, Larry does get a daily break when Barno1 steps in and puts Danny Snyder's junk in his mouth.

This incident must have happened during one of those breaks.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 24, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

please keep dredging!!!!!!!

Posted by: philoneaus | August 24, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

If you heard the interview of D. Hall calling into the Kevin and Rock show you would have also heard:

Kevin: Deangelo is it proper ettiquette to just step out of bounds since its the preseason and you dont want to hurt the other teams QB?

Rock: Heck no, if its pre-season or in season you run him over

D.Hall: Nooooo. I should have run him over and would but again I saw Evans walking me down and thought he was going to clean me out but I should have run him over.

By the way.. Rock did play at Oxon Hill and he IS a beast. 'Wink"

Posted by: Rockdeep | August 25, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

One of the only times I'll agree with Larry Michael but in general the dick can go F*** himself. The guy looks like a joke, talks like a joke and is an overall joke.

Posted by: franky4fingers | August 25, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

The best Larry moment was a few years ago, towards the end of Gibbs II, when Larry proclaimed on his 6pm Redskins show that real teams build through free-agency, not the draft, in response to an e-mail question asking him to evaluate a handful of college WRs that the Skins *could* have drafted.

Posted by: RCBJr | August 25, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse