Mark Schlereth rips Haynesworth's heart

I always assumed that this Haynesworth stuff would simmer down by the second week of training camp, that I would no longer spend the prime of my life transcribing radio interviews about the man's heart. I was an idiot.

ESPN Radio's Mike Golic apparently plans to take the Haynesworth conditioning test this week -- everyone else is doing it, after all -- and the Mikes asked Mark Schlereth whether Golic would pass.

"Yeah, because he's got this little thing in his chest that beats, it's called a heart," Schlereth said. "And that's what you have to have to pass the conditioning test. Listen, you look at Terrence Cody, he fails it the first day, sleeps overnight, and passes it the second day. That's not because you got in shape overnight while you were sleeping. It's because you have a little heart and you dig down and you get it down.

"Albert Haynesworth has not been able to get it done, because Albert Haynesworth doesn't have what it takes to dig down and get it done. That's the bottom line to me. And you can talk about his sore knee and you can talk about all those things. I don't have any doubt that Golic can pass that test. There's no question in my mind that he'll pass that test."

Then Schlereth was asked whether this is an embarrassment for Haynesworth.

"Absolutely it's an embarrassment,"he said. "Listen, even if you don't train, those things are more of a mental test than they are a physical test in my mind. Even if you spent the whole summer not training, you should be able to pass an NFL conditioning test. Now, first and foremost, I think they're stupid....If you happen to run 300 yards -- shoot, if you have to run 40 yards -- somebody scored a touchdown, because Albert's not catching them....

"But to me, conditioning tests are more about are you tough enough, have you mentally prepared for this, and can you suck it up for us. And obviously the answer on all those fronts for Albert Haynesworth is no."

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 2, 2010; 12:25 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The latest Philly fan invasion
Next: LaVar Arrington joins Washington Post

Comments

James Fallows is definitely tough enough, and way too proud to let Haynesworth embarrass him.

Posted by: hungrypug | August 2, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Why hasn't an enterprising t.v. reporter set up a course by a Metro stop or somewhere in town and had passersby try the test?

Posted by: disgruntledfan | August 2, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

This is the downside risk for giving Big Al so much guaranteed $$$$.

I don't see why Redskins fans are so pissed off. It's Danny Snyder's money, not ours. Though Danny obviously pilfers this money from us through outrageous ticket, parking, and concession prices, not to mention his failure to install a water fountain in the stadium, forcing fans to throw out their water bottles when they enter FedEx, and then charging $5 for a tiny bottle of Dasani. But our issues should be with Danny, not Big Al. If anything, we should be pleased that Big Al is sticking it to Danny the way that most of us wish that we could if we only had the power.

Posted by: Dellis2010 | August 2, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

mark schlereth, i couldn't agree with you more. C'mon Haynesworth, you have incredible talent but your career is becoming a joke. After football's over you will need more than just money (though the way you manage money now i don't even know if the money will last until then), dig deep and show people you have some pride. That's something you can work to earn and keep for a lifetime

Posted by: aldo_raine | August 2, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

"Even if you spent the whole summer not training, you should be able to pass an NFL conditioning test."

But Mark, what does NFL stand for?

Posted by: StuScott_Booyahs | August 2, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Mark who?

Posted by: whitaker200 | August 2, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Whitaker 200 - You've got to be kidding me. Schelereth was only a Pro Bowl guard for the Redskins for 5-7 years. Also, he had about 10+ surgeries on his knees during his playing career. Schlereth has every right to call out Fat Al and his lack of commitment.

Posted by: jnel | August 2, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Mark who?

Posted by: whitaker200
_________________________________________

Obviously you are not a Redskin fan or you are Haynesworth's b**ch.
I bet the second one....

Posted by: panamared12 | August 2, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm not as big a fan of "Stink" as I used to be (Rock Hoover?), but I think he's right here. Honestly, if sportswriters can do it, AH can suck it up and pass. Reminds me of suicides from HS. Usually you found a way to suck it up and run a little faster, puke or not.

Thanks Dan. And enjoy working with LaVar.

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 2, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

If I had any respect for Dan Snyder, I'd say that Golic's beatdown is grounds for Fat Ablert to pay back the 21 million. However because Snyder is a bum who sues his own fans I say take the money and "run." The only reason Fat Albert is so funny is that the he duped Snyder out of a whole lot of cash, and anyone who can do that get's a star in my book. Although I think it'd be a neat pipe dream if Fat Albert offered to pay off the legal bills of some of the fans who were sued by Snyder. We need more players like Albert to bankrupt Snyder and get the team back under respectable ownership. Until that happy day I'll be a Jets fan.

Posted by: Standardman | August 2, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

It's official. Everyone in the Western Hemisphere has now expressed their opinion on AH.

Posted by: randysbailin | August 2, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse