McNabb: "I don't believe in rebuilding"

By last January or so, Redskins fans were totally ready for a rebuild. The franchise responded with a marketing campaign using the slogan "The Future Is Now." And their veteran quarterback doesn't even recognize that word.

"I don't believe in rebuilding," McNabb told Andy Pollin, Thom Loverro and Steve Czaban on ESPN 980 last week. "I don't ever believe in that word. I think that we have an opportunity to put ourselves in position, yes, to compete for the Super Bowl. And that's one of my goals. That's actually my first goal. I don't look around and see who's on the roster, or is it a big name here. You don't win Super Bowls with big names. You win Super Bowls with guys making sacrifices and playing for that guy next to them and giving all that he has. We're doing that at this particular point, and hopefully we'll continue that on."

And you know what? I really only went and dug up that quote as an excuse to post the image above of McNabb just before his audition for the Blue Man Group. There aren't many times when Adam Schefter is the best-dressed man in his ESPN bus. I think McNabb's first goal should be to never put that outfit on again.

Also in that bus: Mike Shanahan said McNabb can still chuck it three-quarters of the length of the field.

"I mean, there's very few guys in that 33-, 34-year old age bracket that can still throw the ball 75 yards in the air," Shanahan said.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 10, 2010; 4:17 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Moss: Zorn was "a little out of his league"
Next: Nats in Expos hats

Comments

8-8

Posted by: DCFanatic | August 10, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Me

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | August 10, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

When they end up somewhere between 6-10 and 9-7 they'll refer to this year as a rebuilding year....in the meantime there are LOGE seats to be sold! Dream Seats too! Jerseys and $8 Heinies. Those things don't sell themselves for rebuilding teams. I hope I am setting my sights short for this season, but I've learned - ever since Brad Johnson was chased away - that this team overpromises and underdelivers....much like most government contractors.

can't buy the hype with Carlos Rogers as a starting corner and seriously, do we think the o-line (or receivers) have substantially improved? And tell me exactly what was Shanahan's record without Elway? Because I know John Elway led som otherwise crappy teams to 3 SBs without Shanny and was the best QB in football for a decade prior to Shanny's involvement.

IT IS A REBUILDING year. They sucked last year and any other assessment of where the team stands is ludicrous. And before anyone brings up the number of close games, please extend the logic in the other direction - they could have easily been 2-14. We really won't know until we see them play and I hope I am wrong. But my gut is telling me they will be more frustrating to watch than last season.

Regards -

- hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | August 10, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, re-building is getting kind of old. we have been re-building since 1993!!!! This is the smartest off-season we've had since Danny-Ball. we'll see.....

Posted by: aginsburg | August 10, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

This HughGRection is really annoying. I wish he would just go away. He's always constantly getting in the way of what could be a decent dicussion.

Skins 12-4, book it. Shanny won double digit games many times post-elway. He won 13 games with a team led by Mike Anderson and Jake Plummer. Lets see Zorny do that.

Posted by: cj658 | August 10, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

BJ, I mean cj658 is a nice big internet bully huh? Take a look in the mirror BJ, I mean cj658 to see who is actually annoying.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 10, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and BJ, Hugh is right about Carlos Rogers being an average cornerback at best. He drops more balls than Gianna Michaels.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 10, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

He's right. That is an ugly "outfit". 12-4.

Posted by: hand_of_doom | August 10, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cj658 | August 10, 2010 5:18 PM
Ok the way I see the Redskins:
---------
So cj, respectfully, this is how I see the Redskins. You are more than welcome to comment.

1 - Compare them to something relevant - Not SB XVII. Try the year BEFORE SB XVII. yeah, when we went 8-8. JGibbsI...when he thought he might get fired BEFORE he won a game. Are we there yet? I hope so. What else stood out that year - a great f*ing draft and free agent class. we had kids who could play. They weren't winning, but they weren't losing ugly. WE NEED TO GET THERE FIRST. We need to see progress, not an illusory (and temporary) bound playoff team that scares no one. They let 8 teams go to the playoffs in the NFC and GOING IN AS 8th does not count for much - have any 8 seeds won a SB? Made it to one?

2 - Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. All of the coaches hired since Turner including JGII have felt pressure to win immediately. We need to win consistently over an extended term so that we are in contention for the SB.

3 - they've sucked for years. Like it or not, its the truth. One decent year out of Gibbs II. Bad karma for chasing Brad Johnson out of town.

I really do want to get back on the bandwagon. But I need to see wins. And a part of me does not want to get sucked in because either the future is now or it ain't. And if it ain't, I don't want to get my hopes up. I am looking for the building a consistent long-term winner. A deep o-line of butt kickers would go a long way towards convincing me we are heading in the right direction. Russ Grimm's induction only reminds me of that point. We are depending on a rookie to be a Joe Jacoby (or a Chris Samuels who in hindsight was a pretty good one). We have previously injured starters - who might be good - but will not provide a foundation for sustained success.

We had sucked for a few years prior to that first SB. Pardee had one playoff appearance. But Gibbs was likable enough and was graceful under fire......and lets face it - Riggo screwed him more than anyone with the hold-out - and when they started to win (they finished out 8-3 but were well out of the playoffs). The emergency trade for Joe Washington (who now that I think of it was old and coming of injury) did save the season as we knew Harmon and Wonsley weren't cutting it. And I don't think we are there or heading in that direction.

Regsrds -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | August 10, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

well, i actually agree with mcnabb here but probably for very different reasons - players can NEVER go into a season or even a game thinking that they aren't going to win. the players themselves should believe that they can win every single game...in reality, this plays itself out each week, where we all acknowledge that any team can win. the fact is, if the players don't think they can win, they won't...maybe a big factor in some of the losses last year.

on another note, when was the last time people were tucking in their gym monochromatic gym outfits? wow.

Posted by: bacaje | August 10, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

HGR and Poop- Read my first paragraph outloud a few times in my prev post.

Posted by: cj658 | August 11, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse