McNabb says he'll be with the Redskins "for years"

Donovan McNabb did a trio of television interviews on Monday, giving him yet more opportunities to talk optimistically about his future in D.C. and to make funny faces at the camera. As you might recall, I'm not permitted to embed the videos here, so instead I'll provide the four highlights.

The Contract

The above image was McNabb demonstrating for Comcast SportsNet's Kelli Johnson exactly what's happening right now in his contract negotiations.

He was, obviously, joking, but a few weeks after Bruce Allen said McNabb would be "a great Redskin for years to come," the quarterback used nearly identical language.

"I'll be here with the Redskins for years," he told NBC Washington's Dan Hellie. "We've both said it, I've said it, they've said it. I want to be a Redskin. I want to be a Redskin. Just like I was an Eagle for years, I want to be a Redskin. I want to finish my career here. There's a lot of exciting things that are ahead of us here, there's a lot of talent here, and I think good things can happen here in Washington."

Obviously, this spring, he was writing that he wanted to finish his career in Philadelphia. Maybe he doesn't like moving.

"Things will take care of itself," he told Johnson. "I'll just focus on what we're doing here. You know what, I love being here. I love being here. Obviously moved the family here. This is where I want to be for years to come. We have some talent here, good young talent like myself, guys who are like 25, 26 like myself, guys who still got a lot of juice in their tank like myself."

The Fans

McNabb was asked several times about his reception in D.C.

"It feels like home," he told Redskins Nation's Larry Weisman. "It's like Dorothy, just tap your feet twice or three times and you're back home."

I've been trying to figure out how well that metaphor applies to this situation. I'm stumped, though I'm pretty sure one of McNabb's backfield mates owns a pair of red slippers.

Johnson also suggested that McNabb wasn't always appreciated by Eagles fans, and he interrupted her.

"I would not say that, I would not say that," he said. "You know what, it's exciting to be received well, but obviously being in the league for a long time, [Redskins fans] want to see results. I understand that. That's part of my role. My role is to come here and do kind of what they've seen me do for 11 years, and that's something I want to present to them as well as my ballclub."

A Work Stoppage

Hellie asked McNabb about the possibility of a work stoppage after the 2010 season.

"If we get the owners and the GMs to kind of come to our agreement there won't be," he said. "There's a couple of demands they're looking for and some things we want done."

And if there is a stoppage?

"Well, we just drafted John Wall, [have] Gilbert Arenas, they're looking for kind of a power guard that can come in, get a little physical down low," he said. "I can go play with the Wizards if things don't really work out. Drop about 10, 15 basketball pounds...slap some boards a little bit, get up on the rim."

His Age

"You know, I still have a passion for the game," McNabb told Johnson. "I'm 33 going on 34, but I feel so young. A lot of things that we're doing here are [things] that I did early in my career, getting out on the corner, nakeds and keeps, and rolling out, and things of that nature. That's something that I did early in my career, and what that does now, that kind of rejuvenates your body....

"And when you see Brett [Favre] at 49, and still contemplating if he's coming back, going back to the high school and throwing and drinking some Geritol or getting some Tiger Balm, I feel like I'm about 21."

(Watch the videos at NBCWashington.com, CSNWashington.com and Redskins.com.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 17, 2010; 11:52 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John Wall with Bow Wow, Brandon Banks, strangers
Next: Ovechkin, Russian rap and Eminem

Comments

Not sure the Redskins will want McNabb for "years". I always thought he is somewhat overrated and obviously Philly thinks he has hit the wall. They may well be right. Skins are smart to see what they bought before going out and buying more..........

Posted by: poguesmahone | August 17, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Haha, I'm loving Donny Mac's sense of humor.

But jokes aside, hearing that a player wants to end his career with Washington usually means that his career is already over. Hearing a player say he wants to be in Washington for a long time usually means he'll be gone in a year or two. I hope this trend ends with McNabb, cause the Skins could use some stability.

Posted by: MillBurray | August 17, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Ohhh Donovan's always been a nice guy, but his time was up in Eagle-land. He's been a warrior for most of his 11 season's but the wear and tear has taken its toll on him. Sorry Deadskins fans you'll be lucky to get 9 games out of him this year. What makes you think he'll do well with this O'line you have here. T Williams is a rookie btw. He had Runyan and Thomas for years protecting him. BTW that Kelli Johnson looks hot. I'll have to tune in sometime. Better than the Dibble girls behind homeplate!!!

Posted by: Dog-1 | August 17, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

You know, the picture above is telling. I see a perplexed look on Kelli Johnson and a "attempt to say it with a straight face" look on McNabb saying he'll be a Redskin for years. Seriously, you need a better pic to fit under that headline, Steinz. :)

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 17, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

"Ohhh Donovan's always been a nice guy, but his time was up in Eagle-land."

That's what they said about Elway also:

"The rap against me has always been that I can't read coverages and I can't throw the touch passes," says Elway. "Well, we'll see soon enough. As soon as I found out Mike got the job, I was excited. I knew I would get a chance to do the things Steve Young has done in San Francisco."

McNabb is still an upgrade over any QB we have had here in nearly 20 years and Shanny insists on a run game so it's not like he's going to have the throw 60 times a game anymore.

Both sides are probably waiting to see if they are a good fit before either makes any commitment. Prolly mid season is when you might see en extension I'm guessing.

"Years" would be great, I hope he is here. I've always been a McNabb fan going back to his days at Syracuse.

I think Philly is really underestimating his absense, and I think Dallas is underestimating parting ways with Flozell Adams. Especially after seeing Dallas's porus o-line against the Raiders.

With a little luck and some real good coaching the Skins could genuinelly surprise people this year.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 17, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I have a thing for Kelli Johnson. She's tall and has a nice body.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | August 17, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

look, respectable is what we should want this year and I think that's what we'll get. Quarterback position looks just fine if the O-line is decent. If the guys at RB buy in to the platoon method we should be good there. There are good veteran WR's and TE's and we need at least 1 young guy to step it up this year and we're set on offense. The defense will be excellent without AH and better with him. After what we've been through these last 2 yrs., don't get greedy. RESPECTABLE!!!
SAY IT...LEARN IT...KNOW IT
If we get more.....it's just gravy.

Posted by: RealConservative | August 18, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I hear Nick Saban wants to finish his career with the Dolphins...

Posted by: donaghms | August 18, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I'm trying to think of a QB if asked would say they didn't want to finish their career with the team they are currently starting for??? Look McNabb hasn't played in one meaningful game yet as a Redskin let's see how he and the Redskins feel AFTER the season.

Posted by: sovine08 | August 18, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

a redskin for years, he looked very winded after running a few yards and had to call a timeout to catch his breath last week, so are you redskins fans that excited over a 11 year vet who usually chokes near the end of the season when the game is on the line. or do you want to continue to hope another team lost would allow you to make the playoffs.

Posted by: geg5100 | August 18, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse