Moss: Zorn was "a little out of his league"

(By Ricky Carioti - TWP)

As the Zorn Era continues to recede from memory like Mike Wise's hairline, several Redskins players have danced around the issue Zorn's D.C. legacy, talking about how much different/better/more professional this year's training camp has been while taking pains to say how much they liked Zorn as a guy. But it seems like each week, someone comes a little closer to finally blurting out the truth, in clear, unguarded, fully skinned language.

Santana Moss may have come the closest yet in a recent interview with Larry Michael. Long quote alert:

"Everywhere I've been, where we were successful -- even my early years here -- we were successful with a coach that came in and demanded respect," Moss said. "He demanded you take everything that you're doing seriously, and that's what I learned when I first got here from Coach Gibbs, he demanded that you go out there and be good. If you wasn't, he didn't want you on the field. And I sense that we have that again.

"I'm not trying to knock what Coach Zorn did, because I feel like he was a great guy, great coach. I felt like it was just a little out of his league with some of the guys that we had, and the control wasn't the same. I feel like with Coach Shanahan, the respect is already there from just knowing who he is. And then once he came in and said his first words, there was nothing else you could say but just, 'This guy means well, and the only way we're gonna be better is listen to what he has to say.'

"I think we all need a little pep talk here and there at times, but when you're a professional you should be able to do that to yourself. But for the ones that get complacent -- like we all do -- it's always great to have a coach like that to remind you why you're here....If you don't have [discipline], then you don't have nothing to really look forward to. I feel like everyone needs something to just make them remember that hey, just 'cause you done it, don't mean you can do it again, just 'cause you're doing it, don't mean you're gonna do it forever."

In other news, here's Zorn in Baltimore. His message seems to be well-received.

(By Rob Carr - AP)

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 10, 2010; 3:25 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jim Haslett, his teammates and hunting knives
Next: McNabb: "I don't believe in rebuilding"

Comments

"And Flacco, make sure they put the pepperoni on in an overlapping helical pattern across the surface of the pizza..."

Posted by: dcunitedfan3 | August 10, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

#10 says: "What the heck do you mean 'Stay Medium'?"

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | August 10, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

That was some Sarah Palin gibberish. Sorry I wasted my time reading it.

Posted by: magilla | August 10, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

His family members are excited to start wearing violet and obsidian...and yellow.

Posted by: --swb | August 10, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Why don't the remaining players just admit the truth....Zorn had no real authority when he was given the job? Inmates ran the asylum....front office was screwed....don't give me this stuff about Zorn was never a coordinator. The HC he is working for in Baltimore (who came in the exact same time as Zorn) was never a coordinator, yet the Ravens missed the Super Bowl by a game in his rookie season...why?! Because it was a professional outfit from TOP (Front Office) to BOTTOM (Players)....this is something we are attempting to get back here. I hope Zorn gets another chance with an organization that is serious and stable and will let him coach and have authority and then judge him....then it will shut the naysayers up!

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | August 10, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Note to ejharrisjr40: Santanna has just made the understatement of the year Zorn had no business being the head coach but because The Danny wouldn't stop meddling Zorn was the only one,actually he got the job by default because every one who qualified had been forwarned,Zorn is doing exactly what he should be doing; coaching QB's he's a nice guy but yes he was way out of his league.

Posted by: dargregmag | August 10, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Violet, Obsidian and Yella... Now that's funny

Posted by: jmurray019 | August 10, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

And punks like Moss didn't do Zorn any favors. Vince Lombardi woud have had problems coaching last years Skins.

And anyone who believes things will be different this year doesn't have a clue. Danny Boy will never change. He didn't change when Gibbs came back and he will not change for Shanie. Cp's antic this year should be fun to watch.

Posted by: sheepherder | August 10, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

"If Shanie was really in charge we wouldn't have been treated to the Fat Albert circus girls!"

What Circus? Albert was put in his place. What you think he had a knee problem? laughable.

Posted by: JDB1 | August 10, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Yes, it was interesting that Zorn, as soon as he was fired, was snapped up as QB coach by one of the best run franchises in the NFL. That said, I really think the guy doesn't have the temperament to be a head coach. Today the job demands 18 hour days 12 months a year to really be successful--Shanahan has that mindset. Zorn has many other interests that he pursues for the sake of personal fulfillment. I would rather have Shanahan as a head coach, but I'd rather have Zorn as a friend.

Posted by: jhpurdy | August 11, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

love the photo of Troy Smith staring and going 'huh?'

Posted by: Durham2 | August 11, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Santana Moss is probably right about Zorn. But Moss dropped so many passes thrown right to him he should take some responsibility for all the losses. He probably lost 2-3 games for the 'Skins last year alone with dropped passes. I hope he's working on that this week.

Posted by: EricFutterman | August 11, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Why are we still reading/talking about Jim Zorn? Is it important now? Really? This team was a continuation of SORRY last year and Santana Moss was a part of it. I think 99.9 percent of those players that are left from years gone by have done a good job of recognizing that THEY were actually part of the problem by getting their butts in gear and embracing the new coach's approach.

Stop looking backward because as a fan it's actually kinda painful. When it comes to being a fan of this time, I don't care about Zorn, Campbell, Colt, Rock any of them except that the home team tries to beat the crap out of them on the field. As people I wish them all well. But it's time to move on and bogs, blogs, whatever the media format is - please help us look forward to what is hopefully a much better, more disciplined and competitive team!

Posted by: BenThere | August 11, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I wish Santana had said, "Sometimes when you say a lot of stupid sh*t to a reporter, that cannot possibly do anyone any good in any way, it's always great to have someone to make it perfectly clear just how little they care about what you think."

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 11, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Here's something I do not get, why are the Redskins, and so many other NFL players, so CASUAL about just going off the reservation like this (no pun intended?).

"Santino, NEVER tell anyone outside the family what you're thinking again."

You say you respect this coach right off the bat, so WTF? Is there a coach in the league who can get this message across?

It's not about one's right as an American to speak his mind. It's about being smart. And I agree with sheepherder, if we don't see some of that this year, it's all a waste of breath.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | August 11, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Watch Flacco throw for 35 TD's w/ the Zorn-o-rator as QB coach.

Hey Santana, why don't you just come out and say that the person who hired Zorn as a HC was totally clueless when making that decision? Oh, wait, that is right, because that guy signs your check.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | August 11, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse