Portis explains why he wasn't practicing

Here's a handy rule of thumb for Clinton Portis interviews: maybe you'd be better off treating them for entertainment purposes rather than more traditional news conveyance vehicles. I have no idea what of this is true and what is not, but during Part II of his consistently entertaining interview with Comcast SportsNet's Kelli Johnson on Tuesday (watch it here), the matter of practice came up.

Yes, they were talking about practice. Not a game. Practice.

(Part I, remember, involved Portis wanting to give you his ass to kiss.)

It all started when Johnson asked about Portis's relationship with Daniel Snyder. Portis explained that he didn't have any privileges or passkeys to Snyder that the rest of the team lacked, but rather he felt comfortable approaching Snyder to speak during special-teams drills, when he wasn't needed on the field.

"Most people scared of that situation," Portis said. "I guess people would be happy to know right now I don't do none of that. If I see Mr. Snyder, I speak, I keep it moving....It wasn't like I had a special relationship and me and Mr. Snyder left here riding in his car together, hugged up or holding hands.It was the owner. When I was at work, I spoke to him. I didn't call him when i wasn't at work and try to hang with him outside of here. I think so many people just was looking for a reason to point the finger, so many people wanting to say it was me."

Why were they looking to point the finger? Portis continued.

"I guess because I was the name, I was the focal point. It was Oh, Clinton Clinton Clinton Clinton Clinton. I always abided by the rules. I never been arrested, ain't never got in trouble. The only thing I did was miss practice, and I didn't go to the owner to ask him can I miss practice. When I missed practice, I missed practice. It wasn't the owner's decision that I missed."

Gotcha. If you're a literalist, at this point you might be wondering, ok, so why did you miss practice. It involves lust. Cover the children's ears.

"When you lose faith in people and you give your all to people, that's just like you being in a relationship and it's a one-sided relationship," Portis said. "If you married and you putting in all the work and you bringing in all the money, you doing everything your husband asked, and he started complaining and he's not happy with you, you don't look good enough, or he don't like your hair, he want your hair curly and you want your hair straight, all of the sudden you lose the lust.

"You lose the luster for that relationship, and I think that's what I did. Constantly going out giving all I got and having the finger pointed at me, it was just losing the love for the relationship."

The relationship with whom? Sherm Smith? Jim Zorn? Vinny Cerrato? Didn't this issue also come up during the Gibbs era? Wasn't the stated excuse to avoid wear and tear, not because of any curly haired lust issues? See, you're thinking too much. Don't ask questions. Just sit back and enjoy, as Portis describes hearing Mike Shanahan got hired.

"My initial reaction, if we go back to the relationship, was don't fall in love again," he said. "Stay lustful. Enjoy the moment for however long it lasts."

Lot of lust going on in Ashburn this year. Lot. Of. Lust.

(Also, Portis said he wanted to leave Denver when he was traded, that he had asked to leave. Why, Johnson asked.

"What you mean why?" Portis responded. "If CSN paying you $200,000 and ABC gonna pay you a million, I'm sure you gonna leave too.")

(Also, he was asked about the quarterback change.

"Jason was a great person," he said. "So many people tried to turn me and Jason against each other, and me and Jason never had beef, we never had any problems.")

I know what you're thinking. Don't bother.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 4, 2010; 9:42 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Snyder: FedEx Field lots may open at noon for opener
Next: LaRon Landry's barbershop celebration

Comments

Dare I say First?

Posted by: Rocky420 | August 4, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I can't stand CP's inability to articulate. That being said, he's a great interview!

Posted by: delfranklin4 | August 4, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

This fan loves you, CP. Don't ever change. Can't wait for you to break Riggins record.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 4, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

What a dope

Posted by: funkey | August 4, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

CP just play ball people always gonna hate an fans are fickle an fair weather , the media looks for ratings and anyway to stir up drama if I were you I would not talk to those who distort ypur comments and hate on you on their talk shows...Break thatt jackaz# drunk Riggins record an see who jumps all on your jock , its so ridiculus to hear the hate when Riggins played behind hogs an you played behind piglets...

Posted by: BeatDontStop | August 4, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Why does he keep talking or whatever you call what he is doing?

Just play ball because LJ looks good!!

Posted by: RG10 | August 4, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delfranklin4 | August 4, 2010 9:52 AM

CP is spending to much time listening to the John Thompson show..

Posted by: dean4 | August 4, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Dude may have lost the lust, but he sure didn't lose his way to the bank.

Sounds like he and Albert H., are an awful lot alike.

Posted by: motiongrfx | August 4, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Dude may have lost the lust, but he sure didn't lose his way to the bank.

Sounds like he and Albert H., are an awful lot alike. Selfish, self-absorbed, doing what they want, only when they want.

Petulant, little-kid.

Posted by: motiongrfx | August 4, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I bet Jemele Hill could write a killer race baiting article about how fixated Bog commenters are on pointing out Portis' country grammar

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | August 4, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

country grammar? I know country, and that ain't no grammar....thats just plain illiteracy.

Posted by: opinionatedinfairfax | August 4, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

We are unable to locate the page you requested.
The page may have moved or may no longer be available

Though I believe I remember the contents of the beef.

Btw, when did FRIST[sic]ing make its way to the Bog? Bogs are supposed to be FRIST-free. (insert Paloffs, etc)

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 4, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Michael "doesn't mind telling a journalist that he only reads comic books because the pictures help him understand what's going on" Westbrook...that was illiteracy.

Pacman Jones and plenty of other NFLers like him have shown themselves to be similarly low-functioning.

But those who lump Clinton Portis in with this crowd have either had minimal exposure to the guy, or don't seem to be aware of how much their prejudices color their perceptions.

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | August 4, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

CP and that Palin woman should get together.

Posted by: rdpinva | August 5, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse