Portis: Shanahan Skins are most professional

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

One of the early themes of Redskins Training Camp: 2010 is that everything is more professional than it was in the past, that the practice music and in-fighting and general laxness of the Zorn Era has been purged to history's wastebucket, where they'll sit next to a skinned coyote carcass and a tuxedo t-shirt.

Clinton Portis endorses this view, if not exactly in those words. Larry Michael asked Portis on Monday whether this is the most professional the Redskins have been during his D.C. tenure.

"Oh yeah, it's hands-down the best," Portis said on Redskins Nation. "Coach Gibbs, you will never understand how fortunate you were to play for Coach Gibbs. But as of right now, just the demeanor of the people on the team....You sit in the locker room and you hear guys talking and you hear how happy guys are to be here, you hear the outlook.

"You know, it was so much going on that people wanted out of here. Yeah, there was even a point that I wanted out of here. So just having this and being able to go in and you feel comfortable, you feel like it's on me, compared to having back-room discussions and worrying. You just feel like if I do the things I'm supposed to do, I'll be around....

"It's just a new-found respect. We finally have a strength and conditioning staff that you can believe in....When you finish workouts and go look at your body, you look good, you feel good. So now, when I go and take off my clothes and look at my body, I look good, I feel good."

Yeah. Let's change the subject from that one. And pretend we never read it. Oh, but before you stop thinking about Portis's body, he said the recent reports of his weight loss were no big thing.

"I think people make so much out of nothing," he told Michael. "It's like oh, his weight down, his weight down. It ain't like I went out and lost 50 pounds. You know, I lost a couple pounds, trimmed up, and just came out focused."

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 3, 2010; 2:19 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: New orb sculpture coming to Nationals Park
Next: Restaurant offers free ice cream if Haynesworth passes

Comments

A couple of losses and Portis will show his true colors...

Posted by: Scoonie97 | August 3, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

"A couple of losses and Portis will show his true colors..."

You mean when he gets benched.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 3, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

So it was just CP's low self esteem that was the problem? Ok then.

Posted by: tha_prophet | August 3, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

A couple of losses and Portis will show his true colors...

Posted by: Scoonie97 | August 3, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse
Spot on, he did this with Zorn I believe.

Posted by: Dash10 | August 3, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

That says as much about Zorn as it does about Portis.

Posted by: 202character | August 3, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Every time a new coach comes in and replaces an unsuccessful coach the team talks about how great things are now, etc. What do you expect? However, I actually believe that Shanahan runs a tighter ship than Zorn (or than, say, Norv many years ago) and that will lead to at least an extra win or three this season by itself.

Posted by: gkronenberg | August 3, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

It is funny as hell, when EVERY year these guys come out and say, "Oh, x is much more y than last year. It's like night and day. It's a pleasure coming to work now."

Oh, and the ever present: "We have so much talent on this team."

Documenting these quotes to read the year after Shan-a-tan leaves...

Posted by: nojunk4me | August 3, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I am cautiously optimistic about this season. Sure, the players feel energized and in shape, but it takes time for a new coach to REALLY put his mark on a team. Like a few seasons.

HailSkins.

Posted by: ericroks | August 3, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I love Gibbs. He was missing two things: a great GM like he always had in Beathard and Casserly, which Snyder failed to give him during his 2nd tenure, and unfortunately today's athlete only knows fear to be motivated, so it takes Shanny being hard core to motivate Portis to workout, not miss practice, lose weight, and be in his best shape ever!

Posted by: artsnsportz | August 4, 2010 3:14 AM | Report abuse