Ray Knight on Strasburg and Dibble

As this Dibble/Strasburg train continues to careen past Dead Horse Saloon and through Overkill Canyon, I wanted to take one minute to post Ray Knight's comments from his appearance on the Junkies Thursday morning. Ray Knight maybe should have gone into public relations. I can't find an off note here.

"Rob is a tough guy," Knight said of his MASN co-worker. "I saw him endure a lot of things. I know he went on the DL a couple times. I mean, he's speaking from a place through experience. He's tough and very, very strong mentally. But you can't force or even take a miniscule chance with something like this.

"You know, it's not about being babied. I've known Rob a long time, and sometimes he says things out of passion, because he loves this team. I mean, he loves this team. He pulls for these guys so hard. And there's sometimes I can just tell when he's on the air, he gets a little quiet when he gets perturbed with the team not playing well. It's not his team, but we do have a vested interest in the team. And you don't want to be homers, but you're with these guys every day, and you care about them, and you want them to do right.

"I just think he got a little overzealous in that deal, and he didn't mean it the way it came out. Sometimes he gets on things and it almost seems like a rant, but I just know him well enough that he wouldn't say anything to hurt that kid for a million dollars. He just wouldn't do it. But the fact is, you cannot take a chance. I don't care if he's got a hangnail and it doesn't feel comfortable to him, then you slow down, evaluate it, take a look, because you can't afford to be wrong. You just can't....

"As valuable as that right or left arm is, you better be cautious, almost freakishly sure of everything. So, I hate that all that got blown out for Rob's sake, and for Stephen too. This kid, he's special, but you've got to treat them all the same, and I believe the Nationals do."

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 26, 2010; 1:16 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NFL players say Redskins have hottest cheerleaders
Next: Redskins Ravens fan images

Comments

Many years from now when Dibble is still the color analyst for the Nats, I wonder how many of those who have been calling for him to be fired will turn into some of Dibble's biggest fans. There was a time when Steve Buckhantz wasn't so beloved in this town. Similarly Frank Herzog, George Michael, etc weren't instant fan favorites. It takes some time for the town to realize that we've got something pretty special here and the bet here is that 6, 7, 8 years down the road when Dibble is a mainstay on your tv, many of the haters will have come to love the guy...much in the same way we all love Buckhantz.

Just a prediction.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 26, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

If you love something, let it go, and if it was truly yours, it will come back to you.

LET THE NATS GO, DIBBLE! LET THEM GO!

Posted by: RCBJr | August 26, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Kumbaya.

Posted by: rdpinva | August 26, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

If Rob Dibble was the most pressing concern facing the Nationals, I'd be thrilled. Until then, so what. Let him say what he wants. At least he cares about the team, which is more than you can say about most DC fans.

Posted by: rodeorob | August 26, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I, too, hope Dibble does Nats games on TV for many years to come. There have many a night over the past couple years, especially recently, where the only entertaining aspect of a Nats game on TV is Dibble. I enjoy his passion for the Nats to do well and how he doesn't always toe the company line sometimes and instead tells it like it is. Great job Dibble. And kudos to Ray Knight, too. Very good analyst in his own right. Go Nats!

Posted by: OldTownNatsfan11 | August 26, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I like Dibble. I don't like Buckhantz. Never did, never will..........

Posted by: poguesmahone | August 26, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Excellent analysis of the situation by Ray Knight (not the most articulate guy on TV, but he knows baseball and throws out lots of interesting tidbits). Yeah, there are times when I sigh with exasperation and roll my eyes at something Dibs says, but I enjoy him and hope MASN will keep him on. I love his passion too--it's nice to have an announcer who says what he thinks and gets as frustrated with bad defense and questionable pitching as I do. I watch almost every Nats game on TV, and I appreciate the fact that he obviously cares very much about what's going on down on the field and in the clubhouse.

Posted by: wocoliz | August 26, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

"Rob is a tough guy," Knight said of his MASN co-worker. "I saw him endure a lot of things. I know he went on the DL a couple times. I mean, he's speaking from a place through experience. He's tough and very, very strong mentally."

-----------------

So tough that his career high for innings pitched in a season is 99, which noted pansy Stephen Strasburg has already surpassed this year by 24 innings.

Posted by: StuScott_Booyahs | August 26, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Hey StuScott wannabe, The Great Mariano Rivera has only busted 99 innings once in his career. What a pansy, huh?

Posted by: LouLewis | August 26, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to Ray Knight - he captured Rob Dibble perfectly! And, I for one, want Dibble to stay. I want his passion and his uncensored, opinionated speech. Dibble simultaneously infuriates me and cracks me up, I know a lot of what he says is off the cuff and not always correct, but I still enjoy & appreciate him.

Posted by: cadeck | August 26, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I got no problem with Dibbs. To say the least, he's not a cookie cutter shill. I'm down with him. How would you like to have to watch all of this. I watch almost every game at home or the park,but at least I can get drunk or go out side and howl at the moon or something. I think Dibbs and Ray Ray are way passionate about the Nats.

Posted by: ridgely1 | August 26, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I have no problem with Dibble except for his constant use of the first person in referring to the team ("we" and "our"). I find it rather refreshing to have a TV announcers who says it like it is in these days of sugar-coating everything lest someone dream up an imagined insult in the commentary.

Posted by: 1995hoo | August 27, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Ok, so now that it's been confirmed the Jesus needs TJ surgery.....can we officially pull the Rob Dibble sucks train back into the station?

Posted by: yampaco | August 27, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I'll take a few tickets on that train. Here's what I want to know: will Dibble stand by his idiotic comment?

Posted by: RCBJr | August 27, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Dibble's talents are more suited to his XM/Sirrius talk show. He's overexposed and tiresome as a color analyst. Regardless how he explains his comments he will still be another reason for people not to watch. I had already joined Boz in the ranks of those who mute the TV and listen to the radio.

Posted by: Natmeister | August 27, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse