Redskins create single-game ticket waitlist

In years past, fans on the Redskins e-mail list have typically received mid-week notices before home games, alerting them to "visiting team returns." This meant that the visiting team hadn't used all its allocated tickets, so the Redskins were making them available to the home fans. If you went up to the ticket office at FedEx Field -- and I'm 3-for-3 in trying this -- you could also buy single-game face-value tickets on the morning of games.

Now the Redskins are changing their procedure. They sent this above message out on Wednesday, asking fans from their waitlist to queue up for available single-game tickets. "Due to unprecedented demand for Redskins Tickets this season." While billboards and bus ads all over this town urge people to buy Redskins premium tickets.

(Yes, I realize the ad campaign is all about premium seats, but it still feels funny picturing "unprecedented demand" for Redskins tickets in the midst of that marketing push, no?)

(And the official word on the waitlist was offered in this recent Larry Weisman piece on Redskins.com:

The Redskins have been sold out at home for every game since 1967 and the scroll of eager customers continues to grow. FedExField has capacity for 91,704, the most in the NFL.

"Tens of thousands of fans add their names to the wait list every year. Fans wait years after they put their names on the list to be offered the opportunity to buy tickets," Redskins chief executive officer David Donovan said.

As my friend Dave McKenna often points out, the "every game since 1967" line ignores the strike year, which is probably fair, but maybe worth noting. This is from The Post in October, 1987:

For the first time since 1966, the Redskins did not sell out 55,750-seat RFK: 44,763 tickets were sold for this game, but only 27,728 spectators showed up. There were 17,035 no-shows and 10,987 unsold tickets.

Anyhow, put your name on the Player Ticket Return Queuing System, and let me know how that goes.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 18, 2010; 4:37 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Steve Spurrier's final press conference
Next: Redskins lead the NFL in first-round draft picks

Comments

"If you went up to the ticket office at FedEx Field -- and I'm 3-for-3 in trying this -- you could also buy single-game face-value tickets on the morning of games."

That seismic shift we just felt was the price of every ticket listed on StubHub falling by about $100. Dude.

Posted by: Hendo1 | August 18, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

stein, i'm confused. RFK was sold out. even for the strike game season ticket holders got their tickets because the strike happened mid season. i dont recall that they gave season ticket holders the opportunity to sell those game tickets back, but maybe i'm wrong.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | August 18, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Dave Donovan is mistaken. People who even now sign up for the wait list receive a letter every year offering them a chance to purchase season tickets for a $100 deposit. My wife has been on the list for 15 years and is probably around #20,000 on the list (last time they sent a # verification letter) and she gets that offer every year. I think that is the 'shotgun' approach to marketing seats - notify everone on teh list and see who falls for the worse seats in the house (G).

I think all of this shows just how afraid the team is that there actually be empty regular seats real soon if they don't start to do some heavy marketing. As for the premmie seats, they have never ever been completely sold out since FedEx opened and there never has been a waiting list for them.

Posted by: bbmcoachk | August 18, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

The issue is that you have to commit buying without being told how much they'll cost past their being "face value".

So if I say I'll play and they say, "Hey look, the Club Level has some open!" I'm stuck.

This, I'm afraid, is a scam.

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 18, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins have no more sold out EVERY game since 1967 than the Bullets/Wizards, Capitals, United, Mystics, or Nationals have sold out all of their games in the same period. Anybody who watches a Redskin game from Fed Ex Field and sees the sea of yellow seats every time there's a punt knows this.

Until last season, when the heat finally started to intensify a tad, the local media blindly allowed the Redskins to get away with s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g the truth in magnificent ways.

People: a game is "sold out" when ALL tickets are, ahem, SOLD. It doesn't matter what kind they are: club, flub, yellow, or mellow. ANYBODY can get a ticket to a Redskin game, any Redskin game. It's been this way for YEARS.

No business that has sold all its inventory (for 43 years!!) puts ads on the sides of buses. No business with a list of 200,000 want-to-be-customers SUES already-are customers during a recession. Now the Redskins come forth with this "unprecedented demand" nonsense. It's a joke and, given the team's shoddy business practices for the past many years, it's very reasonable of people like WorstSeat to think a scam is in the works.

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | August 18, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I seriously doubt that the wait list (if there is one anymore) is respected. Several years ago, friends who had club seats were given an option to buy up to FOUR regular seats. This offer bypassed the wait list. They did buy them only t sell them on Ebay. So much for the wait list.

Posted by: jgluke | August 18, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who knows anything about this knows the Redskins "wait list" is a joke...a complete fraud. Tickets are available RIGHT NOW, and I'm not talking solely about club level. Skins marketing continues to be amateur hour.

Posted by: jplegend | August 19, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

there is probably a wait list. But in order to move you have to buy what is offered, and I'm sure they offer the club seats first, and if you say no they go to the next person.

Look at the staduim during games; there are empty seats. And not just in the club section. The only thing unprecedented is the fracturing of the trust between the fans and the organization.

And now for Barno's defence.....

Posted by: Leeguru | August 19, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Such a joke. In Snyders interview with Hogs Haven he said they couldnt move a pre-season game to RFK because of demand, then they try to give away preseason tix to potential club ticket buyers.

Danny can keep playing nice with selected press, but dude is still a schemer at heart

Posted by: jpfterps | August 19, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Well said "capscapscaps"

Posted by: joeblazin | August 19, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Actually, the waiting list was not a fraud back in the Jack Kent Cooke days and before. I know, because I was on it for 30 years until they moved to Fed Ex. Also, NFL rules do say that all that matters for sellouts is the general admission seats, not the premium seats. So the Redskins are correct when they say that they still sell out. I might also point out that it is a mistake to assume that empty yellow club seats mean that they aren't sold. For whatever reason, more than a few club seat holders hang out in the club concourse to sit at the bars or the lounge areas and watch the games on the televisions back there (go figure). Especially when it is very hot or very cold outside.

Posted by: poguesmahone | August 19, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Especially when it is very hot or very cold outside.

Posted by: poguesmahone | August 19, 2010 11:55 AM

Even more so because they have a Hooters and cigar bar up there and the Redskins have been terrible/almost unwatchable for years. If I had club seats, I'd be back drinking/smoking/gazing too instead of watching Zorn's version of the WC offense.

But alas, I'm in the lower level. At least we have the end zone bars!

Posted by: Section104 | August 19, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I remember turning down tickets to that game in 1987. I had never been to a Redskins game at that point and I still didn't want to go see 'The Replacements' play.

Kind of stinks in hindsight, because those 'Replacements' helped get the Redskins into the playoffs in which they ended up winning the Super Bowl.

I remember watching that game noticing how empty the stadium looked with all the no-shows..

Posted by: DrCapsFan11 | August 19, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I got on the list in 1988, in 1999 got my tix, 6 of them .Me and five of my buds from the neighborhood split the cost that year.We used one of my friends credit cards to make the purchase. The very next year the Skins sent him an offer to purchase his own seats and he has had them since. No wonder it took me eleven years to get my seats.It's all about the green. The wait list is a crock o you know what.

Posted by: OldSchoolNC | August 19, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Jpfterps, there's almost 40,000 more seats at Fed Ex than RFK. I don't think Snyder is giving away anything like 40,000 preseason tickets to potential club ticket buyers. So...I don't get your point.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 19, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: poguesmahone

Hahahaha. And how is the Kool-aid, poguesmahone?

NFL rules don't allow players and team officials to say what they want about officiating. Does that mean the refs never blow calls?

A sell out means just that: ALL tickets are sold. The truth is the Redskins haven't sold out for YEARS. I can get tickets TODAY. We both know it. Get off it already!

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | August 20, 2010 1:32 AM | Report abuse

i would rather wait in line with Obama to get into the new mosque in NYC than wait on that beedy-eyed weasel Snyder to put a product on the field woth paying more than $6.50 a seat to see. When this mess implodes look out. It will be flying knives around that joint. Razor lip has his hands full with this one. Ain't no Elway here.

Posted by: doyouktt | August 20, 2010 6:52 AM | Report abuse

I turned in my season tickets this year and continue to receive calls from the Redskins begging me to change my mind. Waiting list? Oh please.

Posted by: themantoyou | August 20, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse