Redskins offering free preseason tickets

I've heard that the Redskins were handing out free preseason tickets, but this is the first time I've seen the offer. Has to hurt a bit if you're one of the people forced to buy preseason tickets as part of your season package, to see exactly how much the organization values these.

UPDATE: I'm told that this offer was only extended to former premium seat holders, and that the tickets are non-transferable. I'm also told that the team annually makes this offer. And I still think I'd be mad if I were paying for games I didn't want, and I knew the team was giving them away for free. But maybe I'm wrong.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 4, 2010; 12:11 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: LaRon Landry's barbershop celebration
Next: Another Nationals Park public art submission

Comments

Nah, this doesn't hurt. It'll hurt when we see this same offer for the Texans game in week 2.

Posted by: wahoo2x | August 4, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

As season ticket holders, we know we are being hosed on the preseason games. Those tickets aren't worth even 10% of face value.

Posted by: dcborn61 | August 4, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Just sent an e-mail to that address asking to rsvp... I wonder if that will work. Didn't get the invite but worth a shot I suppose. Won't really care too much either way.

Posted by: DKEAT | August 4, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Hmm... you don't think there might be any sales pitches for Premium Club season tickets, now, do you?

I'll not be too unhappy about sitting out in the upper deck sans the pitches.

Posted by: Hendo1 | August 4, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Well, let's see. I have luxury leather padded seating. I have a climate controlled atmosphere. I have a big screen TV. All in my very own home. What am I missing?

Oh yeah, battling Beltway traffic, parking at FedEx and paying half a week's salary for watered down beer.

What a deal!

Posted by: fjc33 | August 4, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Season ticket holders that are upset at being forced to buy preseason tickets should shut up. I'd be willing to bet those "fans" are the same people that make a killing by scalping their regular season tickets.

Posted by: Rod5 | August 4, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Maybe somebody should send one of these free pre-season ticket offers to Danny. Then he would realize there wont be 40k people upset if he moves a pre-season game to RFK

Posted by: jpfterps | August 4, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

For the umpteenth time, it is an NFL, NOT a Washington Redskins or Dan Snyder, policy that Season Ticket Holders are forced to buy the preseason games as a part of their Season Ticket Pacakages and that tickets for pre-season games are charged the same price as tickets for regular season games.

Go ahead Dan, call the other 31 NFL teams yourself if James Grimaldi is too busy to verify it.

Posted by: CapsNut | August 4, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

@CapsNut, of course I know that. I don't think I implied that Redskins fans are the only one in this situation. Still, if I was being made to purchase something that was also being given away for free, I'd be a bit salty, that's all.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | August 4, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rod5 | August 4, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

yeah, made a KILLING on those chiefs tickets last year. sorry, but there are those of us who just cant make a friday night or saturday night meaningless game and are just trying to recoup some of the forced cost. sorry if that doesnt meet your definition of "fan".

the point is that we are being forced (by the NFL) to buy these crap tickets for FULL price despite the fact that the REAL PLAYERS wont be playing. now the skins decide to further devalue those tickets by offering freebees.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | August 4, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

pretty sure i'm going to sign up for those tickets (so is my dog and children) and then leave them unused at will call. f danny.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | August 4, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

You're not wrong. Season ticket holders -- at least me and the other ones I know are furious about having to pay full price for pre-season tickets. Free, cheap or full price, our complaint is the same: the product on the field stinks and has for over a decade. Moreover, the "FedEx Field experience" is one I could have lived without -- nothing like RFK. If I can't unload my tickets this year, I'll probably be giving them up next year (I've had them since 1965 -- time for someone else to take the punishment). I see no reason to hope for any substantial improvement in the team. The new coach and general manager have not made any real, long-term improvements and next year there will be labor problems as two groups of over-compensated divas fight it out for the ultimate ego gratification. Maybe we should fold the NFL and just pay college football players above board instead of under-the-table. Can't wait for the hockey season to start.

Posted by: qball43 | August 4, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rod5 | August 4, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Last season I lost money on every single game I tried to sell with the exception of when we played Dallas. In most cases I sold my 3 seats on the 35 yard line (Skins side) on row 13 of the upper deck for $150, which included a parking pass. My cost for that was $287.

This is why I'm now a former season ticket holder. Much nicer to do what fjc33 recommends and watch the game from the luxury suite I have in my basement. If I want to go to an actual game I'll just pay a fraction of face value for them.

Posted by: dalison | August 4, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Under JCK ownership, the season ticket holders only had to purchase the regular season games. The pre-season games were first offered to the folks on the wait list and then sold to the general public. Really a great marketing ploy. Enter the Danny era. Prices are raised for an already marginal product (ownership/stadium/players) not to mention being frisked for and then forced to purchase even the most basic means of subsistence - water and peanuts. I wish Dan Snyder and Angelos would blow away. Bring back the Squire!

Two tickets to the game - $200
Parking - $50
Two beers and 2 5 guys burgers - $45
Two foul mouthed, knucklheads from S. MD that continuously spill beer on you and scare your 9 year old son- free
3 hour, one way commute to a crappy stadium - free
Losing the KC Chiefs - priceless

Posted by: Yellow41hut | August 4, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

It is not an NFL policy. Until the mid nineties, Redskins season ticket holders were not required to buy preseason tickets. That left only the Jets as teams which did not milk their season ticket holders for two meaningless games. The Jets fell into line in 2000, I think.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | August 4, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

@Dan

Actually in my case it is a win-win because I take full advantage of the Redskins Replay program and donate the pre-season tickets back to the team for a tax write off. Because I have to pay full price for them as part of the Season Ticket Package, I get a larger tax write-off than I do from the Caps who only charge half price for pre-season games.

The Redskins of course win because they get paid full price for tickets and then can easily give away said tickets to people who don't normally have a chance to attend any kind of an NFL game.

But seeing how it is an NFL policy to charge full price for glorified scrimmages, I wonder what the NFL Front Office thinks of this.

Posted by: CapsNut | August 4, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Rob5 has no idea what being a season ticket holder is all about. My father has had skins tix since 1957. And being forced to buy preseason tix is something we DO complain about. the league instituted that rule in the late 90's to increase team/league revenue at the expense of season ticket holders. as a skins ticket holder since Griffith Stadium, we NEVER had to buy them until the last 10 years. YES we will complain about being forced by the league to buying tickets at a value that is not supported by the market. they're worthless, yet we HAVE to buy them at face value like its a regular season game. it's not dan snyders fault. it's the NFL's fault. and its total B.S.

Posted by: destewar | August 4, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

In my experience there seems to be a very high number of people who buy season tickets only to scalp them for a decent profit. If you have been buying packages since before they instituted this change then I am wrong, but if you know that you have to pay full price for preseason ahead of time, then it’s your own fault for getting them. If it’s such a sh—ty deal then don’t buy them. Preseason may be meaningless but I know many people who enjoy watching those games.

Posted by: Rod5 | August 4, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse