Redskins' preseason win earns 12 pizza toppings

Alert...alert....alert....Preseason football games may contain as much deep and eternal meaning as a buttercream cupcake, but even if they don't count in the standings, they count for free toppings. Six touchdowns and a preseason win means 12 free toppings. See above. Web images don't lie.

Near as my research assistant Paul Tenorio and I can tell, this is the first time the Redskins have scored at least six touchdowns in a win since October 23, 2005, when they stomped on the 49ers, 52-17. That's nearly five years ago, and yet most of the touchdown scorers from that day -- Clinton Portis (3), Mike Sellers (2) and Santana Moss (1) -- are still on the roster. Rock Cartwright got the seventh, which presumably yielded a 13th and 14th free topping, if they go that high.

The point is, you'd better think positive things about the front office while you're peeling your Hickory-Smoked Bacon off the little sandwich of Fresh-Sliced Roma Tomatoes and Grilled All-White Chicken snuggled up underneath a blanked of extra cheese. No telling when this day might come again.

Thanks to Reader David H. for the tip.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 16, 2010; 5:00 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jim Bowden responds to Thomas Boswell
Next: Stan Kasten nails Mike Rizzo with a cream pie

Comments

Caps Season Tickets for sale:

Posted by: philarmy | August 16, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

This happened a couple of times with the Caps last season. I was tempted to go Pepperoni x 12; or Pepperoni x 6 and Sausage x 6

Posted by: GFisher1 | August 16, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

This is a crock. They dont honor the 12 toppings. They say they cant cook all of those toppings properly. The most they will do in Laplata is 7 and the most in Waldorf is 10. Will be calling tomorrow to order a 10 topping pizza in Laplata to see if they offer the same advice to the amount of toppings and cooking.

Posted by: karl_grebe | August 16, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Just tell them you like your pizza well-done anyway, so they pass it through the oven a second time. Then all the toppings get cooked better.

Posted by: Grooven | August 16, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

I did this when the Caps scored 7 goals against Florida in a game 2 or 3 years ago. The Papa Johns here in Arlington said "we can't give 14 toppings because they will not cook", we didn't care and said do it anyway and they did. We picked it up, they did put everything on it and they were right about the toppings. We put the pizza in the microwave at home because it wasn't cooked all the way and it really didn't turn out well. If the skins do score 6TDs, I wouldn't get more than 5 or maybe 6 toppings. Plus the 14 topping pizza weighed A TON and the slices were impossible to handle. Trust me, not a good idea!

Posted by: hsk8er6 | August 16, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

They only gave me 10. I was called two places in Bowie...

Posted by: aarseneault06 | August 17, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I can't even think of 12 toppings I would want to put on my pizza.

They need a rollover toppings program, like my cell phone's rollover minutes so we can cover the inevitable weeks were the Skins only score one TD...

Posted by: VTDuffman | August 17, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse