Rex Grossman talks "Sexy Rexy," greatness

Dave Ross asks Rex Grossman about his nickname.

Donovan McNabb has played 16 games once in the last six seasons. Of the other quarterbacks on the Redskins' roster, one was undrafted, and another has been on the team for about a week.

So, if you were playing the odds, you'd have to guess that Rex Grossman will be under center in a game that matters at some point this year. And Rex Grossman, for the record, wants to be great.

"I want to be in that position [to], if needed, step up and play great," he told Fox 5's Dave Ross. "Not just ok and serviceable. I want to play great. I've started a lot of games in this league, I've been to the Super Bowl, I've done a lot of good things, but I can take my game to the next level. And that's what I'm trying to do, worry about myself. And if needed, step up and play great, not just good."

Sounds good. No no no, sounds great.

Really, though, I wanted to watch this Fox 5 video for the part at the end, when Ross asks Grossman about his nicknames. Maybe you've seen some of the Internet blog Web site pages that have had some fun with Grossman's nicknames over the years. I'm guessing Grossman has, too.

"You know, I don't like talking about it," Grossman said with a bashful grin when asked about his nicknames. "I hear Sexy Rexy. Maybe it's sarcastic."

So Ross asked Grossman if his wife calls him that.

"She does, a little bit," he said. "Yeah, she definitely gives me that nickname. I don't mind it when it comes from her, but some of these guys calling me Sexy Rexy out here, it's a little odd."

You call it odd, I call it awesome. Every team could use one or two players nicknamed Sexy. Now the Redskins have theirs.

Also, Grossman believes the Redskins offense is talented.

"I think this offense is explosive," he told Ross. "We've got a bunch of talent on this offense....It's gonna be fun. One thing that Kyle [Shanahan] knows how to do is get wide receivers wide open and score in a hurry. so it's gonna be an exciting offense....You can tell just looking out there, all the talent. We are a really talented team. There's gonna be some talented guys cut. You know this season there's gonna be all the players you need to make all the plays on the field."

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 13, 2010; 11:04 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jason Campbell's preseason Raiders debut
Next: Dan Snyder speaks during preseason broadcast

Comments

Please tell me we have a better solution than Grossman as the back-up QB.....I remember when Gibbs would leave Thiesman in during the 4th qtr when we were drubbing the other team and thinking to myself "Bob Holly and Kim McQuilken must be terrible." And Theisman was about as durable a QB as I've seen up until that Monday night. Then again, when Shroeder threw that 50 yard bomb to Art Monk on the first play AFTER Joe was carted off...well it was nice knowing you, Joe. Any chance gorssman gets beaten out for the #2 slot?

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | August 13, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

talented.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | August 13, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Every team in the league has talent; it's execution that's key.

Is there an echo in here?

Posted by: crashinghero | August 13, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Rex is here because he knows the offense. Yes he will get a chance during the season. Yes rex is not the best, but he is better than all you ARM-Chair QB's out there!!

Posted by: Airchuck | August 13, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

In the Offense vs Defense scrimmage on fan appreciation day, Rex looked very good. He was throwing downfield and connecting with his receivers better than McNabb was.

That said, I'm still very unsure about our QB situation. With our O-line, McNabb is sure to take a beating. Let's hope Grossman stays sharp through out the season.

Posted by: MillBurray | August 13, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Grossman has to be one of the better backup quarterbacks in the league, to say you'd want someone better is ridiculous. A former starting quarterback with talent and confidence? I can't imagine who you would rather have as a backup. The only backups that would compare would be chad pennington, kerry collins, david carr, and maybe michael vick. Or would you rather have Caleb Hanie or J.T. O'Sullivan ?

Posted by: jomo983 | August 13, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

McNabb is overrated, Grossman is underrated. They are both a temporary solution, however, a great improvement over "It aint me" Campbell.

Posted by: hock1 | August 13, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I was living in Chicago when the Bears got to the Super Bowl, and remember that season pretty well. They got there despite Rex and the Bears' pitiful offense. Better hope McNabb doesn't go down...

Posted by: cschetter | August 13, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Jomo, I agree with you. I think the complainers are looking for Peyton Manning to be our backup. There are very few great qbs in the world, and guess what... we're not going to get one as our starter, let alone our backup. McNabb, for all his weaknesses, is about as close as we can hope to get. And Grossman is definitely as close as we can get in a backup. Time to wake up to reality.

Posted by: OintheSierras | August 13, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

if you think that a qb nicknamed sexy rexy with a worse fumble percentage and less guts than jason campbell is adequate, then i have some property i'd like to talk to you about... grossman is simply gross. the guy who lived in chicago said it all: the bears got into the super bowl because of their defense,a decent running attack and a super return guy. grossguy contributed NOTHING to the equation. i'd rather see the #3 guy get a shot.

Posted by: dcjazzman | August 13, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Man, I never really understood the Grossman bashing. He DID quarter back a team to the Super Bowl. His receivers were less than stellar, from what I remember. The Bears D was great that year, granted. But he's better than Danny Woeful and Shane Matthews, isn't he?

Posted by: jmurray019 | August 13, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Sorry GROSSman, but the nickname "Sexy Rexy" belongs to one man, and one man only: Rex Ryan! GO J-E-T-S! Jets! Jets! Jets!

Posted by: neesh007 | August 14, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

____________________________________

God, I cannot wait for the Jets to get pummeled this year by the Pats and Dolphins. All this hype for a team that went 9-7 last year and backdoored their way into the AFC Championship.

Dirty Sanchez is a joke, they won in spite of him. Plus, if Revis doesn't play their defense becomes vulnerable to anyone, even the Bills.

I can't wait till draft day 2011, when Jets fans will once again be booing their top 10 draft choice once again and Sexy Rexy is on the hot seat (If it hasn't collapsed yet underneath his fata**).

Posted by: mtorioles | August 14, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Man, do you losers even watch football???? your team has sucked so long you dont even know what good talent is....Grossman is the last thing you should be concerned about,, hes a pretty solid backup, he had awesome drives against philly,minn, greenbay and lets not forget HE WONE the NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME with the last two drives all by himself. BEAR DOWN REX,,

Posted by: dbears1967 | August 14, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse