Riggins calls Haynesworth "an infection"

Here's something weird: for all the many dozens of Albert Haynesworth posts I've published, I can't think of a single one featuring John Riggins's opinion of 92. Riggins has always been something of an iconoclast, and isn't exactly sympathetic to Redskins management much of the time, so I wouldn't have been able to guess whose side he'd take. Here ya go.

"The truth of the matter is you don't even have to worry about what he did or didn't do in the offseason," Riggins said Wednesday on SIRIUS XM's Mad Dog Radio. "Look at what he did during the season last year, focus on that. Do you really think that that was [32] million dollars worth of performance out there? I would say no....

"This guy plays when he wants to play, and he takes plays off when you need him out on the field. I've never been around a coach that thinks for a second that that's the kind of player that's going to help you win a championship. So my advice, not that anybody's asking it, is to fire the guy. Get him the hell out of camp. The guy's an infection. Why do you want him down in the locker room?"

See, that's what's great about Riggins. I've read dozens and dozens and dozens of quotes about Haynesworth, but this is the first time I can remember seeing him called an infection.

Many Redskins fans who haven't sided with Riggins in the past are now nodding their heads in agreement. Well, get ready to start nodding them in a different direction, because later, Riggo was asked about Donovan McNabb's tenure with the Skins.

"I think that you guys are talking about Obama's running mate in 2012," Riggins said. "He is smooth, he's like butter in front of a microphone. He's not that smooth on a football field."

"He's not that smooth on the football field?" asked host Bruce Murray.

"I don't think so," Riggins said.

"Does that mean he can win the election though?" Murray asked.

"I tell you what, I think he'll come closer to winning the election then he will becoming a Super Bowl winning quarterback," Riggins said.

Ouch. Riggins did have strong words of praise for soon-to-be Hall of Famer Russ Grimm, though, so you can start moving your heads up and down again.

"Rusty was the real deal," he said. "He was the epitome of what the NFL really should be all about. He showed up for work, he knew how to have fun, he took care of the guys around him. He was a leader and certainly most deserving of being in the Hall of Fame. I think a guy that stood right beside him, Joe Jacoby, is another one so hopefully someday Joe will be in there as well. But I couldn't be prouder of Russ. He deserves everything, and hopefully someday down the road here and not too far into the future he's going to get a head coaching job in the NFL, because I think he'll make a wonderful head coach."

And to universal acclaim, Riggins had this to say about Brett Favre:

"If you see this man call the local authorities. Do not try to apprehend him by yourself. He's nuts."

"Didn't they say that about you once upon a time?" Murray asked.

"Yeah," Riggins said. "And they were right."

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 5, 2010; 10:21 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 1983 Redskins at the Super Bowl wearing hats
Next: Hey Nationals, Frank Robinson's a Hall of Famer

Comments

I never thought i'd say this, but F RIGGO, and all his asinine statements....he's just a bitter little b!tch since Snyder pulled his radio show a couple years ago! My hats off to the media though, they have really gone above and beyond with this Haynesworth ordeal, and trying to turn all the Fans against Haynesworth! I personally can't wait till the day comes when all the Fans wise up to the media's games, and decide to boycott them....it's plain to see what the media's objective is, and how they constantly twist things/stories to fit their agenda, and to try and stir the pot with all the fans! The Washington Post is at the top of the list in their never ending endeavors to make the Redskins look bad one way or the other. Fortunately for them, and other media outlets, the world is full of feeble minded folks who will bite the bait every single time. It's amusing on one hand, but really sad on the other!!

Posted by: frmi | August 5, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I love Riggins. And he's been on the money for the most part. But this isn't the kind of stuff we need at this point in time from a former Redskin. I don't expect Riggo to sugar-coat anything, but is this conducive to winning? Not what we need to hear during the season because what are we gonna do, trade McNabb NOW? Like I said, I don't expect everything to be peachy, but let's try to stay positive for our team.

Posted by: CYA_Coach | August 5, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

@frmi the media doesn't need to make the Redskins look bad... their performance on the field does enough of that. I LOVE the Redskins, but I couldn't disagree with you more. Sure Riggo is bitter. Know why? He's a Skins fan and for that reason alone, he deserves to be bitter. When the Skins play well, the media praises them and they praise them a lot. Go back and read archives of the Zorn's first 8 games as head coach. The team was winning and the media couldn't praise them enough. When you win 4 games in a season and lose to lowly teams like the Chiefs and the Lions, you deserve to be crucified by the media.

We all know some people are more deserving of criticism than others, but singling people out is exactly what this team is trying to get away from. THIS IS A FOOTBALL TEAM! A TEAM THAT NEEDS TO START ACTING LIKE A TEAM. Some players have been selfish and self promotional. Some blame their teammates on radio interviews, some make excuses for their short comings, and some don't live up to their word. That can't happen any more. That crap simply doesn't happen with good teams.

I, like most fans, am much more optimistic than Riggo from year to year, but if the past ten years have taught us anything, it's that we don't have any reason to be optimistic. We always make the biggest splash in the free agent market and show nothing for it. At this point, I don't blame anyone, the media or the fans, if they want to predict poor performance from the Redskins this year. Heck, if I was a betting man, I certainly wouldn't put money on my team to make the playoffs.

Posted by: MillBurray | August 5, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Riggins is a buffoon. He is a classical type of athlete who doesn't give the fans or the media anytime, in fact he was sometimes downright rude. Now that he is on the other side of the Mike, he wants to be taken seriously as a professional writer/commentator and he needs the support of those he shunned in the past. Still living in a garage Riggo?

Posted by: chopin224 | August 5, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Riggo was asked his honest opinions and he gave them. If you don't want to know about them, ignore articles like these. His assessment of McNabb is the most biting - our season hinges on his execution and the o-line being reasonably competent. Given the fact that this team was 4-12 last year and DMac's age - he is likely right - McNabb will not likely win a Superbowl. Think about how realistic the idea of the Skins winning a Superbowl in the near future is - they need to show basic competence at this point.

Skins fan my whole life and am glad that Riggo ended his holdout, helped organize the practices during the strike in 1982, and delivered when he asked Gibbs "Give me the ball."

I don't think he cares whether folks take him seriously or not - he played, he was cut, and he makes plenty of money doing appearances and such. He is in the HOF - which realistically is beyond McNabb's reach given the current situation of the team.

I hope I am proven wrong, but my prediction is somewhere between 7 to 9 wins this season.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | August 5, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Agree or disagree, I appreciate that he speaks his mind.

Posted by: shanks1 | August 5, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

This year is different than past offseasons because the team finally found a competent quarterback. The last time they had one under Snyder was Brad Johnson in 1999 and 2000. You can't compare this offseason to others when Banks, Ramsey, Brunell and Campbell were the QB's. McNabb is better than them all. He's a Pro-Bowl quarterback. So, optimism should be higher.

Posted by: tramellcanady | August 5, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Used to love you Riggo with all my heart. That's all changed now. Your comments that Dan Snyder has a "black heart" were so beyond the pale I'll never take anything you have to say about the Redskins seriously again.

Cannot wait to Portis breaks your record, oh, around late November.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 5, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Should say: Cannot wait TIL Portis breaks your record.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 5, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

There's no "I" in team but there are two in Riggins. Let's not forget that he pulled an Albert in his day--he walked out on what was a huge contract for its time, after being a disappointment to that point, because, a la Albert, he thought he was being asked to block too much, then only came back because he was "bored and broke."

Posted by: Cossackathon | August 5, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Dude all of you hating on Riggins, at least he brought this city a super bowl. WHAT THE HELL HAS SNYDER OR PORTIS DONE FOR THIS TOWN??? Portis is a has been and Snyder is the INFECTION on this team!!!!

Posted by: pjohn1 | August 5, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Riggins and the Hogs have been to the mountaintop of professional football so they know what it looks like and how you get there. Why shouldn't they be cynical and contemptuous of the moneygrubbing me-first crowd that now occupies Redskins Park? Yeah, Portis breaking Riggo's record would be a shining moment in franchise history, just the guy you want to see at the top of the list.

Posted by: Natmeister | August 5, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

LBJ famously said of Jerry Ford that Ford had played too much football without his helmet on. Just goes to show that even wearing a helmet hasn't kept Riggins from early dementia.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | August 5, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Good to see 'ol Barno's still up to his Dan Snyder sucking-up-to ways.

Kudos.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 5, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Riggo's not like most current and former players: he tells you exactly what is on his mind and doesn't bother to sugar coat it. He's blunt and honest which can be painful to hear, but at least he's not selling us false hope.

I honestly do NOT believe McNabb will be the next QB to deliver a Super Bowl to DC, but I want with all my heart to be proven wrong.

Posted by: MillBurray | August 5, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Do we know that Barno isn't Dan Snyder. Have they ever been seen in the same room together?

Posted by: poguesmahone | August 5, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Infection is not the right word. Haynesworth is not affecting the attitudes of the other players in a negative way. Riggo is boring.

Posted by: bbirdy202 | August 5, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

What many people fail to realize is that Fool Riggins has always had a "tea party" mentality--a sports-oriented Rush Limbaugh. The bigot clown needs to get his drunk ass back in AA and stay there.

Posted by: stanmose | August 5, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

I've criticized Snyder over the years for plenty of things. But I don't see any reason right now to be overly critical of the guy. Any fair minded person can see how badly he wants to win.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 5, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Riggins has more super bowl rings than Haynesworth and Dan Snyder combined.

Posted by: VTDuffman | August 6, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Plaxico Burress has more Super Bowl rings than Archie Manning, Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton, Barry Sanders, Dan Fouts, Warren Moon, Deacon Jones, Randall Cunningham, Eric Dickerson, Earl Campbell, Steve Largent, Sterling Sharpe, and Dick Butkus combined.

He's still an idiot.