Rob Dibble amazed by women at baseball game

"Those ladies right behind there, they haven't stopped talking the whole game," Rob Dibble said in the sixth inning of Wednesday night's Nats broadcast. "They have some conversation going on. Right here," he said, circling the offenders. "There must be a sale tomorrow going on here or something....Their husbands are going man, don't bring your wife next time."

Get it? It's funny because women don't like sports, and so when they accidentally wind up at a baseball stadium and deign to open their mouths, they have to be talking about something that women are interested in. Like sales. Probably on clothes or shoes or maybe makeup, though that wasn't specified.

"All right Bob, now they're back there, they're eating ice cream and talking at the same time," Dibble noted in the top of the eighth.

"I just got an e-mail that said there's a lot of women who come to the games -- while their husbands are the ones at home -- because they love this game," play-by-play man Bob Carpenter noted, briefly touching base with the 21st century. "Tread carefully, Mr. Dibble."

"My wife loves to come to the game, but they're right there, still talking," Dibble countered.

"Well, better there than the two seats behind you on an airplane on a five-hour flight," Carpenter said.

"Yeah, that's true," Dibble agreed.

Then Carpenter started talking about baseball. And then Dibble started talking about something else.

"I was just thinking, those women, there's a new series Real Housewives of D.C. that just came out, he said. "Maybe they're filming an episode?"

Get it? Because the only reason women would be at a baseball game would be if they were on a TV show about housewives and they were asked to go as part of the show. Because women wouldn't possibly go to a baseball game on their own. Because women don't like baseball. Or sports, really. They just like talking about sales.

Whereas men, on the other hand, being real men, go to baseball games and talk about running around outside wearing nothing but a G-string.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 12, 2010; 11:07 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bruce Allen: Shanahan is in charge
Next: The play Richard Nixon designed for George Allen

Comments

Awesome

Posted by: GFisher1 | August 12, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Oh, get off your high horse already Dan. It was a couple of yentas who wouldn't zip it the entire game, if you were sitting behind them, you'd probably want to blow your dome off.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 12, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

For a woman and a sports fan, this is appalling. How terrible a commentator is Dibble if he can't find something to talk about in a baseball game besides lobbing misogynistic softballs at female fans. Because obviously men never eat ice cream or open their mouths at ball games. Ever.

Posted by: MKP-hearts-nyc | August 12, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I've got to say, my wife loves baseball and basketball. We go to games and she is totally in to it... now, my sister on the other hand loves to go to games too, especially when she can sit next to somebody and talk to them the entire game about anything unrelated to the sport going on in front of her.

There are all kinds.

Posted by: gconrads | August 12, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Dibble's obviously a moron. BUT, it is true that when you got to a Nats game, a very small percentage of the crowd will actually be invested in the game.

Posted by: agl132 | August 12, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Good post as usual Steinz. Dibs is a total clown, although Carpenter isn't exactly Jon Miller. Nats need a more proficient crew in the booth for sure.

Posted by: thebone | August 12, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Of course they were talking - the game was far from riveting! Did you see all those runs Olsen gave up in his 1.2 innings of work? Oh wait, I'm a woman - clearly I don't pay attention to such silly boy things. I don't offend easily, but that did it. Worse, he said it at a home game - where someone watching probably knows those women.

Posted by: misschatter | August 12, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

who's to say they weren't discussing the differences in the movement between Batista's slider and Olsen's 2-seamer, and whether or not they'll call Maya up this month?

Posted by: Section406 | August 12, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Two of my female friends & I went to a Yankees/Sox game in New York on Sunday. People -- most of them men -- were yapping all around us. And so were we. About the game. We knew stats and scores and players and EVERYTHING. /eyeroll I have no love for either of these teams (my friend is a Sox fan and we were in town on business so we went) but it was nice to actually be at a game where people cared about and were dedicated to the team, instead of just one hot player.

The guy behind me didn't shut up for three hours. He may have talked about shopping at one point. I don't know. I was too busy watching what was going on on the field.

Keep stereotyping us, guys. Whatever keeps your world view stable, I guess.

Posted by: laurieanne | August 12, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

WOMEN BE SHOPPING!!

Posted by: Scoonie97 | August 12, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Time to call the ACLU.....get it, because sports boggers who work for liberal newspapers can also write about progressive issues.

Posted by: yampaco | August 12, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Well Rob and Bob certainly couldn't talk about last night's dominating performance and the ladies had nothing good about the game to talk about either.

Posted by: authorofpoetry | August 12, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Dibble's remarks were not amusing or appropriatea. I've sat next to lots of women who were very into the game, and I remember one endless outing when the two guys behind me talked about their jobs for what seemed like 5 hours.

Posted by: markfromark | August 12, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

You are a clown for even writing about this Steinberg....

Posted by: M20832 | August 12, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Take off your panties and relax Steinberg.

Posted by: thedude1974 | August 12, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Steinberg: spare us your p.c. nonsense. And get a sense of humor.

Posted by: poguesmahone | August 12, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

What misschatter said.

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 12, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Watching those ladies converse was more enjoyable for me than enduring another awful performance by the Nats.

Posted by: daveskin | August 12, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

"Nats need a more proficient crew in the booth for sure."
Amen, brother.

Posted by: duachawana | August 12, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

This reflects the idea that baseball is the toughest sport to do play-by-play and commentary. The action really spurts along, lots of down time, and after a long (and still going) season of mediocre baseball any fleeting thought becomes worth talking about over strikes and strategy. The booth guys in Pittsburgh probably just open up phone lines to car talk by the 5th inning.

Posted by: law3 | August 12, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

NEWSFLASH: Women and men are not alike in every single way!

Steinz, I don't think Dibble said anything here controversial whatsoever--but it seems you are implying he is a sexist neanderthal who is not in touch with the 21st century.

The fact is the vast majority of women do not enjoy baseball. And while there are plenty of women at baseball games, and I'm sure plenty of them want the home team to win, let's not pretend they share the same interest in the team or the game as the average man.

Dibble should be applauded for not always being PC and just telling it like it is.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 12, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

They're talking about how the Nats stink and wondering why on earth Mr. Riggleman hasn't been fired yet and why Mr. Rizzo has fielded a minor league starting pitching rotation.
BTW Dibble rules. Only reason left to even watch this atrocity.

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | August 12, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe this item is the lead headline on the WaPo sports homepage. Washington Post up to its old ways, trying to start controversies where they don't exist.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 12, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

This ridiculous post has generated more commentary than all of Steinberg's post this week combined.

Posted by: saltine182 | August 12, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

seriously, why can't you merely point out that you thought Dibble's actions were wrong without sounding so self-righteous? without mocking or ridiculing? the other commenter who said "get off your high horse" was right. most of the seats behind homeplate are owned by law firms or corporations. it's something that i've noticed also over time watching many Nats games. It was especially egregious on Tuesday night with Strasberg pitching, when 2 women sat down and had their eyes down looking at their blackberries the entire evening.

Posted by: washingtonlifer | August 12, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Oh my god!! There were ACTUAL women at the game!! This can't be right!! From what Rob Dibble told me, women go shopping, watch Lifetime movies and have babies! He never said women went to baseball games! What is going on?? Is this a sign of the apocolypse?

And they were talking and to each other! Well, this is obviously a plan on their part to overthrow us! I mean, women couldn't be at a ballgame because they might actually like baseball! Oh no, women from what Rob Dibble said, like cooking and looking pretty for their men when they come from from working all day to take care of their dainty and defenseless little girls. I'll bet they were talking about what they saw on Lifetime or were saying how cute the batter was and then giggled and texted their BFF's about him.

*Wacky fictional statement meant as total sarcasm. Please don't have Gloria Allred come after me. I am sure Rob Dibble will get a few hate letters for his incredibly chauvanistic and rather sexist comments.

Posted by: WrestlingBeltworld | August 12, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tw17 | August 12, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

The game itself is boring as hell, what do you want these people to talk about? Have you heard the guys at the radio? They barely talk about what is going on the field. And what the heck are you doing? Obviously not paying attention to the game as much as fantasizing what is like to be a woman.

Posted by: nimes1 | August 12, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

They OBVIOUSLY can't stop talking about how SOLID those ORIOLES -- winners of 8 of their last 9 -- have looked after the team FINALLY hired its FIRST REAL MANAGER since 1997.

Get it? Because being at the game still makes these women think about baseball, but since there's nothing going on in front of them on a non-Strasburg night to hold their interest...

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | August 12, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Lighten up, Dan, before you lose your man card.

If you stay silent about the constant nonsensical babble, it will eventually be considered acceptable.

When that happens, we'll all be too busy (stuck in pointless meetings arguing over PowerPoint color selections) to go to a baseball game.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | August 12, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Women like to talk to each other, Dibble. This is not earth-shattering. Nor is it reason to criticize them.

This goes back to the cavemen times. Hunting and gathering. Women talked to each other while gathering up nuts and berries, because it's tedious work and so they needed something to keep themselves occupied. Hence, the invention of small talk.

Meanwhile, the dudes who were off hunting had to be quiet in order to sneak up on the gotdam animal that you're hunting...so we learned to keep our mouths shut...unless it's critical information, like..."LOOK OUT, THAT OTHER CAVEMAN IS ABOUT TO BASH YOU OVER THE HEAD WITH A ROCK!"

Posted by: grahambaird25 | August 12, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

You know things are getting bad when it comes to this.

Posted by: richs91 | August 12, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I love Dibble. Steinz I think this is a little unfair, let's not make Dibble into some anti-suffrage sexist. He just poked some fun at a pair of girls who didnt stop talking for a whole ballgame. I think if it was two dudes he would have done the same thing.

Posted by: jpfterps | August 12, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Dibble makes the broadcast more fun. This article is funny in its timing as I said something to my wife about those women too.I asked my wife why those women or someone else paid the huge bucks for those seats when they clearly are not baseball fans.I do not, however, make sweeping generalizations about women as they are as different as men are. I have known very knowledgeable women in every sport I follow. My wife likes going to games and she watches them and understands the rules but she is not an expert. She does get a lot of her knowledge by osmosis as I comment a great deal when I am watching. Dibs is not the bad guy some make out here despite hie commentary last night.

Posted by: chopin224 | August 12, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Nats fan and a Dibble fan. I consider myself to be a liberated woman. However, I'm not offended by his remarks (which I didn't see/hear in context, btw).

Over the years, I've observed plenty of people - both male and female - who didn't seem to be paying attention to the games. Often they are seated directly behind the plate. Maybe there's a correlation? Nah. Good thing there's a net back there, though. But I digress.

My guess is that those who already have a bias against Dibble, for whatever reason, will be more inclined to take offense. As for me, such occasional comments are part of the total Dibble package, and who am I to judge? Oh, that's right. It's the Internetz and all... ;-)

I would also opine that there are worse things than some sports commentator speculating about the shopping habits of females. Say, a team that downplays an incident of domestic abuse perpetrated by a player (cough...Phillies)? That I can get my back up about. But this, not so much. Not worth the emotional energy, imo.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 12, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Rob, what were you doing? Were you doing what you are paid to do, which is TALK ABOUT BASEBALL? Or were you talking about two women talking, which is just the kind of idle conversation at a ballpark you are accusing them of having.

Exactly. What a moron and hypocrite. I already wrote into MASN and asked them to can his ass.

Posted by: noahjacobs | August 12, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Between the Skins, Wizards, Caps, and Nats.....the Nationals have by far the fewest % of fans who actually pay attention to the game. Perhaps it's the nature of baseball, but people yacking their faces off with little interest in the game is the virtually the norm around here.

Posted by: divi3 | August 12, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

if they can afford those seats, they're probably talking what subordinate at work they're going to fire tomorrow. being a ceo does require a lot of talking...

Posted by: destewar | August 12, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tw17 | August 12, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if you are aware of how far you are in the minority on this. Most Nats fans love Dibble. And the bet here is he'll be here for years to come, so deal with it.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 12, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Dibble fan, but found this offensive. I also noted the woman on the cellphone and thought it was rude, just as I became annoyed by the guy who yacked on his cell for 3 innings last time I was at a game. That said, I'm not going to go hating on Dibbs for being a moron during an awful game. Most of the time I enjoy him. However, I would strongly urge that he listen to his pal Bob who tried, manfully I might add, to try to keep him from further making an ass of himself.

Posted by: NatsFly | August 12, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

You know what....all of this is a non-issue if the Nationals were WINNING, and the game last night was actually COMPETITIVE....please folks stop being so freaking sensitive about everything and getting your panties twisted in a bunch...if you are offended, turn the TV off!

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | August 12, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

For the tenth time -- Dibble is a TERRIBLE broadcaster. Carpenter isn't much better,only slightly more professional. Dibble is an annoying homer and as it turns out he's also a misogynist.

Posted by: dbunkr | August 12, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

If you are stereotypical based on gender you are probably the same way about a couple of other things too. But in the end I think we all think the things he thought based on stereotyping but we have sense enough to keep them to ourselves and definitely not express our stereotyping on the air.

Posted by: ged0386 | August 12, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure what is funnier -- the fact that dibble said this stuff at all, or the women who came here to cry about it.

Posted by: GFisher1 | August 12, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Dibble is awesome.

Posted by: DCFanatic | August 12, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I must be an oddity. I love baseball even more than my husband! I watch the Nats on TV when I can't go to a game and, if I'm going to be away from the TV or they are playing on the west coast, I tape it to watch later! I am the oldest of four children that had a sports-loving father who watched every sport. Consequently, I love just about every sport...although I don't watch the tour de france, boxing, or soccer. I think that's a horrible assumption on Dibble's part!

Posted by: burnie4241 | August 12, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they were discussing how Rob Dibble wore a small cup when he played...?

Posted by: nowhine | August 12, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Lighten up folks, it was a bow out baseball game and Dibble was looking to fill time Dibbs makes a living being outrageous (Have you seen the tatoos). Besides no one thinks Dibble is a Mensa candidate. He made an observation about 2 women, not all women. Chances are he was wrong about those 2 women. Guys talk trash the whole time they are at the game.

Posted by: JAMNEW | August 12, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Lighten up folks, it was a blow out baseball game and Dibble was looking to fill time. Dibbs makes a living being outrageous (Have you seen the tatoos). Besides no one thinks Dibble is a Mensa candidate. He made an observation about 2 women, not all women. Chances are he was wrong about those 2 women. Guys talk trash the whole time they are at the game.

Posted by: JAMNEW | August 12, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Every game I go to I have a group of broads carrying on behind me talking about all the boxed wine they drank before the game or something or another about work or politics blah blah but never a word about shopping...must be off season? I think Dibble and Steinberg should have a cage match (Dibble of course would have to have his arm tied behind his back to make it fair).

Posted by: BrownBagIt | August 12, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

"I wonder if Dibble is aware of how often DC baseball fans wish he'd shut-up. He's terrible. I sure hope the Nats find a new color analyst next year because Dibs makes me reach for the remote & swith to the Red Sox where I can enjoy the great Jerry Remy, or to the Padres, to listen to the wonderfully entertaining Mark Grant. C'mon Stan, Dibs has got to go!"

________________________________________

Jerry Remy is Not great. Mark Grant BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Posted by: JDB1 | August 12, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

More annoying political correctness and sanctimonious condescension about something that is completely irrelevant in the grand scheme. Amazing that an entire blog article is dedicated to Dibble having a little fun. Media guys like Steinberg feel they have to right society's wrongs. IT'S JUST SPORTS. Lighten up. There is a reason stereotypes exist...its because in general, they're true. Only insecure women and metrosexuals like Steinberg would be offended by Dibble's comments.

Posted by: jplegend | August 12, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I met my husband by him overhearing me talk baseball to some guy at a party. Almost 20 years later, we're up in the bleeds in Section 416 - talking non stop about what's going on in the game.

I usually like Dibble, but honestly, what a knuckledragger....

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | August 12, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who has been to more than 5 live baseball games has experienced a couple of hens clucking away for the full 9 innings. It just is what it is. Maybe the ladies in the press box are more into it. Maybe Dan's wife made him write this. I'm sure he has them keeping score and debating if that last one was a slider or a cutter.

Posted by: Dremit97 | August 12, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Hens cluck...it's what they do

I'd rather they stay home and cluck to each other than be in front or behind a fan trying to watch the Game clucking it up.

Posted by: kahlua87 | August 12, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

maybe Rob was trying to distract everyone watching from the guy in the black shirt on the left giving the finger to the camera.

Posted by: rev_ollie | August 12, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Dan Steinberg: Feminist. Progressive. Offended. Therefore: Such a popular guy! Can anybody say anything anymore without some media idiot pronouncing vast offense? Welcome to media 2.0. We are all so lucky.

Posted by: Craig_Colgan | August 12, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I watched the entire game and those ladies were looking at each other and talking even as balls were being hit. What Dibble said was probably true, and it was funny.

Dibble did make fun of a lady keeping score last season. That was a lot worse than making fun of two women not paying attention.

Posted by: BillyBeane | August 12, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

They gave you a journalism degree?

Posted by: 6thandD | August 12, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

OMFG! A former jock covered head to toe in tats made some remarks that might be un-PC, maybe even sexist! Stop the presses!

Geez Steinberg. I never went to journalism school myself but even I know that dog bites man is not news, man bites dog is. This story is about as dog bites man as you can get. I know you call yourself a blogger, not a journalist, but you are being paid by a so-called journalistic outfit, are you not? Why are you wasting time with crap like this?

Posted by: FeelWood | August 12, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, can anyone in DC have a sense of humor, Dan?

That was so predictable. Lame.

Posted by: BigWesGoingToTakeA | August 12, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Dear people telling me to get a sense of humor,

That line only works when the comment in question was funny.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | August 12, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

burnie: I'm also much more interested in baseball than my husband is. I suspect that you and I are anomalies, though.

brownbagit: hey, I thought that *I* came up with the cage match idea some time ago. ;-)

a number of commenters: gender stereotyping does not equal misogyny. I'm just saying... And, as Feel Wood notes, is it so shocking that a male athlete might say something that could be construed as sexist? Not so much, imo. Wait, am I stereotyping male athletes now? I'm actually a big a supporter of jocks. Oops. That didn't come out right. Back to the drawing board...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 12, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Funny is in the eye of the beholder. I actually think it's kinda funny, and I'm a female. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 12, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Charlie & Dave have been my choice for 2010

Dibble is unlistenable

Posted by: Brian_ | August 12, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

"They gave you a journalism degree?

Posted by: 6thandD | August 12, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse "

Highly doubt it, he's likely related to one of the higher ups.

Posted by: thedude1974 | August 12, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | August 12, 2010 12:07 PM
===============

I'm sure Barno thinks women only like field hockey, volleyball, and ice skating.

Good to see Barno still shows his true colors.

What an absolute jackass he is. Plus he's a guy who wears a customized Captain Chaos jersey.

Barno, just because you can't find a woman, doesn't mean they aren't out there and it sure doesn't mean some of them don't love baseball.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 12, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

To thebone who said,

"although Carpenter isn't exactly Jon Miller."

Yes, thank God he's not Jon Miller. Bob Carpenter is actually a good broadcaster unlike the lame team on ESPN. I can not stand to listen to Jon Miller and Joe Morgan and just avoid ESPN altogether. I know that I'm not alone in this. I can't believe that Miller actually got some award. He is one of the biggest idiots with a microphone and treats the viewers like they're a tad more stupid than him.
Carpenter and Dibble are miles ahead of anything they have on ESPN.

Posted by: blankspace | August 12, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I was sitting just behind these women and they were in fact talking about recent shopping, feminine hygiene and how much they dislike 'cheeseboy' whoever that is?

There are enough things to worry about in life; I hope you didn't hurt yourself from stretching so much in order to be offended.

Posted by: CoachD1 | August 12, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Hey, at least they weren't in the dugout! Just kidding ladies, you know I love ya.

-Keith Hernandez

Posted by: foosball | August 12, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

LOL! Now, *that* was funny, foosball.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 12, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: agl132 | August 12, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

---------------------------------------------

Maybe because its mind-bogglingly boring?

Posted by: kenk3 | August 12, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I long for the days when the Nats actually had an accomplished color commentator in the booth in Don Sutton. To go from Sutton to Dibble is simply another indication of the kind of organization that is still being run here. I'm sure that Dibble was available (go figure!!) for chump change, and the Lerners jumped at it.
Rizzo is beginning to make some positive change here: the scouting department improvements, the signing of Strasburg, the accumulation of minor league pitching talent. But it needs to continue to improve from the top down. Dunn needs to be extended. Not sure about Willingham now. Harper needs to be signed. And Dibble has to go.
I honestly cannot recall anything he has said in the booth that has provided any kind of insight into the game. As a fan and student of the game, I would like to hear analysis of situational baseball, of observations about a pitcher's stuff, of the intricacies of the game. Give me some of the stuff that Boswell writes about. Give me storylines like Vin Scully uses.
I love turning to Dodgers home broadcasts on the MLB Extra Innings package, simply to hear Vin Scully do the games WITHOUT a color commentator. It is truly an artform what Scully does, and has done, for fifty years.

Posted by: one9jnm | August 12, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure why people attend baseball games if they think they're boring. I'm a partial season ticket holder and almost every game I've attended this season has been relatively close and exciting -- especially the most recent game I attended when Zimmerman hit the walk-off three-run homer against the Phillies a couple Saturdays ago.

For the most part, it is the men who sit around our seats who won't shut up about their jobs or their golf games and who aren't paying attention to the game. The only annoying women fans who've sat near us were when the Reds were in town a few weeks ago and part of the female fan group (the Rosie Reds, I believe) were sitting in the row behind us. They wouldn't shut up and they were rude to the Nats players, but at least they were paying attention to the game.

Having said that, I strongly urge Nats fans to get more assertive in confronting opposing teams' fans who come to Nats Park. It was embarrassing when the Phillies were in town and the Nats fans let Phillies fans get away with all of their crap. Like I've said before, Nats fans need to make Nats Park a hostile place for opposing team's fans so they think twice about coming to our ballpark.

Posted by: HonestBroker1 | August 12, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

OMG!!
Women do like sports- get over yourself! What women don't like about sports:
Sexist boys (disguised in men's bodies) making rude remarks about women.
Players who promote dog fighting, bring guns into the locker room, who rape...
Time to GROW UP!!

Posted by: 10bestfan | August 12, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Dibble is one of a kind.

Posted by: ridgely1 | August 12, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Not all jokes involving women are about women as a whole.

So the fact that Rob Dibble pointed out that a few women were clearly not that engaged in the game at all isn't sexist.

What would have been sexist would have been to point to a few women and say "see, now they are really paying attention. Isn't that great?" because that would be pandering, and sexist b/c the presumption would be that they weren't supposed to pay attention.

Dibs is an equal opportunity ribber, and if there were a handful of guys not watching the game right in view of the camera on a night where the game had already clearly gone to hell-he'd have given them crap too.

Mountain. Molehill. Must have been SOMETHING else to write about...

Posted by: Flattuca | August 12, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Agree re. protecting the house, HonestBroker.

I'm with you re. the violence, 10bestfan, but I just can't get too exercised regarding remarks about female shopping proclivities.

Frankly, over the years I've seen remarks in the comments to various threads on the Post site that were potentially more offensive to women than those that are attriubuted to Dibble in this post. Where was the outrage in those cases (or the enforcement of site policy, for that matter)? But I digress.

Heck, if a gal wanted to get her dander up about gender stereotyping, how about the Baseball for Women events, ladies nights, and specialized pink fan gear? Eh, whatever. I don't have to attend those events or buy that gear, so I can't get really worked up over them, either. ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 12, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Slow day Dan? You're reachin' here.

Posted by: mitlen | August 12, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

When did America completely lose it's sense of humor.

Here is what is more questionable than anything Rod Dibble said about two women chatting away behind home plate for the entire game - that I spent time reading this stupid piece and then commenting on it. I am an idiot.

Good golly.

Posted by: LifeRunner | August 12, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

To Steinberg: it WAS funny to anyone with a sense of humor. Lay off the condescending p.c. manure.

Posted by: poguesmahone | August 12, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Mr. Dibble have some insight relating to baseball to share? I mean, if he had been sharing some insight relating to baseball, MASN watchers of both genders and all ages might be better informed about BASEBALL, which, after all, is what was going on in front of his broadcast booth.

Mark me down as a female fan who listens to Charlie and Dave.

Posted by: miseaujeu | August 12, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

UH OH - Dibs grabbed the 3rd rail, damn! Too bad, cuz I've enjoyed him, homer and cynic and all of it. Been nice watching you bud, but I'll be surprised if he survives this one.

Posted by: lousywebsite | August 12, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

If you'd actually listen to Rob Dibble during a Nats game you'd see that he has a fantastic sense of humor and is a little bit of a clown. He pokes fun at himself and everyone else, he gets on players when they don't perform, and he's right on point when he's talking about our pitching staff. He's trying to make a boring, meaningless game fun by pointing out the two ladies talking behind home plate. Remember when the fake umpires were back there last year? That was high comedy right there and Dibble was milking it for all it was worth. No different than everyone making fun of the dude that jumped out of the way and let his girlfriend get hit with a foul ball. That female sideline reporter at the game was on him like white on rice, and I wasn't offended one bit, cause I'm a man and I can understand funny when I see and hear it.

Posted by: erumph1 | August 12, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Dibble is great he calls it like he sees it. Theres nothing wrong with that. It might not have been the smartest thing to say that on the air but he makes it entertaining. Steinberg needs to get off his high horse!

Posted by: terpterror21 | August 12, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Geesh it's entertainment, not politics!

I don't consider the statements sexist but if they are, it makes it even more entertaining.

If someone doesn't like him change the freekin channel.

Posted by: boblas | August 12, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Geesh it's entertainment, not politics!

If someone doesn't like him change the freekin channel.

Posted by: boblas | August 12, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Furthermore, Steinberg, why don't you go write about women's shoes for Ladies Home Journal. Something closer to your heart basically.

Posted by: boblas | August 12, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

more like weinburg

Posted by: terpterror21 | August 12, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure those chattering ladies really stood out among the manly dudes behind the plate jawing on their cell phones & tapping away on their Blackberries.

As a female fan, I could care less what Dibble says, 'cuz MASN's always muted so I can listen to Charlie 'n Dave. Good thing, because Dibble's shocking comments would've left me waving my little lace hanky and gasping for the smelling salts.

Posted by: SuzNats | August 12, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

What Dribble errr I mean Dibble has touched on is a fundamental difference between men and women - the ability to do two things at the same time.

Posted by: slawlerdc | August 12, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Good one, Suz. My stars, I do believe I'm overcome by emotion. Now, to gracefully fall back onto the fainting couch. Thud. D'oh! :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 13, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Firstly I wanted to thank you for the wonderfully written article on Rob Dibble and his crazy antics during a very exciting Nationals vs. Marlins exhibition baseball game.
I have yet to deem what is more infatuating, the fact that these women were able to find such great seats with a sell-out crowd of 15,031, or the fact you are listening to the world class MASN announcers instead of watching the current league leading Nationals fielding squad.
I once upon a time wrote my first sports article too. It was about this caterpillar that kept interrupting my viewing of a Philadelphia Eagles football matchup. I was writing it for the sports section of my Middle School paper. I was tasked with writing an article on how Rodney “Pistol” Pete interacted with the rest of the team and the city of Philadelphia during the not so good 90’s. The problem was I did not get to watch much of Pistol Pete because I was distracted by this caterpillar. So for the rest of the night I decided to write about what I knew best and that was caterpillars.
I feel as though this is similar to your article on defending women in sports, would you not agree? We both saw/heard something during a sporting event that enlightened us to look outside the box and be creative in our sports writing paths. Personally I thought I wrote a great article and all of the women that worked in the sports section of my newspaper agreed it was well put together. But then I proceeded to receive letters about how much of a loser I am, how irrelevant this article was, and a waste of everyone’s time.
After all of these hate mails, I went into my room at night, put on my hammer pants, drank my sunny delight and cried myself to sleep listening to my newly acquired Right Said Fred cassette in my Sony Walkman. It was at that point that I decided to never write a sports article again.
I hope this is not the path you take as you might upset the hundreds of thousands of readers of your “Sports Bog,” one of which is my 8 year old daughter. She really liked the way you investigated “Sexy Rex’s” nickname on the practice field, even if at times your articles are a tough read for her and her 2nd grade girlfriends.
It would be a shame if you stopped now and didn’t do your “little turn on the catwalk”.

Posted by: SteveO2008 | August 13, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

This comment is out of nowhere, but please amend your article. You refer to "Carpenter", ostensibly Rob Dibble's booth mate and the play-by-play man, yet there is no antecedent. Maybe it's because this is the first article I've ever read on this site, but I think you should clarify who "Carpenter" is before referring to him by his last name.

Posted by: whenthemachinesrock | August 13, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I am a woman who will put my knowledge of baseball up against his any day.

Posted by: YG49 | August 13, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | August 12, 2010 12:07 PM
===============

Good to see Barno still shows his true colors.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 12, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Once again Poopy makes immature, personal attacks in a failed attempt at being funny.

"Gotta love the fact that Barno feels he can make broad, sweeping generalizations about women and what sports (if any) they do like."

Um...you're an idiot. This gallup poll proves my point that women do not follow baseball in nearly the same numbers as men. About 2/3 of women do not follow baseball at all:

Get a clue Poop.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 13, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Interesting reading the in the Gallup Poll, which is headlined Baseball Fan Numbers steady, but decline may be pending (Today more women but fewer young men are fans)

Many Women Have Become Fans; Many Men Have Found Other Interests

One of the great boons to baseball has been the increased number of women who follow the sport. In the 1930s, just 27% of women said they followed baseball, but by 2001-02, that number increased to 37%. Men, by contrast, show an increase in fans from the 1930s to the 1950s, but then show a significant drop from the 1950s until now. Today, just 49% of men say they are fans, compared with the 57% of men who followed baseball in the 1950s, and the 53% who followed the sport in the 1930s.

I wonder how Mr. Dibble and Beano would project the make up of baseball fans in about 20 years.

Posted by: miseaujeu | August 13, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

I think this is growing beyond the Natmosphere.

Posted by: NatsNut | August 14, 2010 12:43 AM | Report abuse

What does a gallup poll showing that more men like baseball than women have to do with Dibble's assinine assertion that two chatting women at a baseball game must have been talking about shopping?

"Their husbands are going man, don't bring your wife next time."

Who cares if most women don't like the game? The issue is that it takes a knuckle dragging, sexist meathead to just assume that a conversation between two women who you've never met in your life could not possibly be related to the game itself. Women are of course only interested in cute boys, shopping, and desperate housewives.

Posted by: jbanks979 | August 14, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the heads up on the response roundup. I submitted mine for an alternative (female fan's) point of view. As I noted previously, I've seen much more offensive, and sexist (imho), remarks in the comment section of Post blogs on various occasions, and the Post neither deleted them nor responded to them, as far as I know. Seems a bit hypocritical to me. But what do I know? ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 14, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

FREE SPEECH.

You pinko liberal WP'ers.

Posted by: TCJR2000 | August 16, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

100% behind Dibs!!! Those women were annoying!!! Problem with you people is you hate to admit Dibble's right because it sounds politically incorrect. How's this: Women's Basketball is boring, Soccer is really boring only to be topped in boringness (hmm... new word for the Colbert Report) by women's soccer!!!

Posted by: Dog-1 | August 16, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I attended the games last Tues. and Thurs. but watched most of the Wed. game on TV. Somehow, I missed the whole exchange about the females behind home plate. For the record, I am female and have attended several games by myself this season. Usually I go with my husband and kids and friends. (Before Thurs. game I met a woman from MD who goes to all the games by herself.) Because of the rain delay, we were able to move down to the "pay attention seats" behind the Marlins' dugout. Three 20-somethings were in front of us and one of the males talked the entire time about everything but baseball.
My guess is he did not pay for his great seat either. I will say that if I am ever lucky enough to sit right behind home plate I would be speechless.

Posted by: natsfan100per | August 16, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Rob Dibble - he's like a God to me.

Posted by: BobFV1 | August 16, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

If they were into the game, that is one thing, but to be chatting on the phone the entire game, is rude, and deserves some calling out. It is just women like these that give all women a bad rap.

I'm sure if I was in front of them, and had paid that much for my seat, I would have either called security, sent a text to the customer service area, or as a last resort, asked for some sort of relief from the ladies themselves.

I'm not from DC, but I can see why the country is having issues. You guys need to lighten up.

Posted by: asitlies | August 16, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I like Dibble. Most baseball announcers are so pc-sterile, they never say anything. Dibble has an opinion and is fun to listen to.

And what were those to yabbing about for the entire game right behind home plate?

Posted by: edvar | August 16, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse