Rob Dibble's apology

My, but a lot of words have been written about Rob Dibble since he said those things about the two women who were sitting behind home plate at Nats Park Wednesday night. His original comments were a joking riff, delivered over multiple innings, about how much the women were talking, with an assumption that whatever they were talking about, it surely wasn't baseball. After getting pounded on the Internet, Dibble apologized twice on Sunday. First, on MASNSports.com:

The other night I made an off-handed comment, the meaning of which may have been misconstrued beyond what was said. If any fan of this great game took offense, then he or she should know that this was neither my intention nor my history in the game.

I have had the privilege of knowing a great many fans of all backgrounds who are students of the game. Many of baseball's most insightful fans, television viewers, and callers to my radio show are women.

And just like my mom in 1990, they know what they're talking about.

And later, during MASN's broadcast of the Nats-Diamondbacks game:

To anybody that does not know me that was offended, or took offense with what I said in my weak attempt to be humorous during a down time during the game, I truly apologize. That's not truly how I feel about any baseball fan -- men, women, or children. And so I wrote a blog, in my own words, not the words of other people who'd like you to think differently, on MASNSports.com. So, my humble and sincere apology if I offended anybody last week."

Some people have objected to the wording here -- I'm sorry if you were offended by my jokes, though not necessarily for suggesting that the manly bat-and-ball-loving guy men should leave their ladies at home next time. Me, I'm too tired of the topic to object. I thought the original comments were more stupid than offensive. While something offensive might require protests and barricades, you can make fun of something stupid, and then move on, which is what I plan on doing. Until and unless Dibble says something offensive about Albert Haynesworth.

Anyhow, to the extent there's anything serious to be said about this issue, it's this: some huge proportion of the diehardest Nats fans that I see, read and interact with are women. And some huge proportion of fans who attend Nats games are not diehard, and thus they talk, and walk around, and order drinks, and fiddle with their phones, and do the wave, and engage in other in-game behavior that offends the diehards. These non-diehards come in all shapes and genders, and there's no particular reason to think that women are any more guilty of not paying attention than men, children, aliens, Albert Haynesworth or Rob Dibble. Also, when your games are drawing a 0.8 rating, you should want all the viewers you can get. The end.

(For more on Dibble's remarks, see We Love D.C., TBD, It's About the Money, Edge of Brooklyn, Camden Chat, SB Nation DC, Not Your Typical Girl, Sociological Images, MetsGrrl, Walkoff Walk, Deadspin, Nationals News Network, Nationals Daily News, A League of Her Own, Mets Paradise, This Purist Bleeds Pinstripes, DCist, The Faster Times, The OCD Chick and Sports Fans Coalition.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 16, 2010; 10:49 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Immigration protesters descend on Nationals Park
Next: DeAngelo Hall calls into radio station to defend himself

Comments

Actually, the lesson to be drawn is that it is August and Steinberg obviously has little to write about. So he brings out the p.c. nonsense. Get a sense of humor, dude.....

Posted by: poguesmahone | August 16, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

It's not surprising Dibble said something stupid. He says something stupid every game.

Posted by: jshon16 | August 16, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm still with you, Dibbs. You big dumb animal.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 16, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

We need more Dibble and less fruitcakes running around on the field.

Posted by: LouLewis | August 16, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

We saw some of those fruit cases yesterday. Fans running around the field during the game is idiotic. It is an expensive lesson for those who did it yesterday. However, those who are inclined to engage in such behavior will not be deterred. We will see them again in the future.

Posted by: chopin224 | August 16, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Despite being a dumbass in these comments, I think Dibble is hilarious and unlike most people, does pretty good analysis. He makes the games more entertaining, so who cares if he's a homer. I like the guy.

Posted by: awiseman1 | August 16, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Dan, I love your work, but you made something a story that really isn't. Further, you're not the PC police, no one appointed you to that role. Keep your personal beliefs to yourself.

Posted by: JDB1 | August 16, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Less talky, more cleany.

Posted by: Section104 | August 16, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I challenge anyone to sit in front a microphone for 3 hours for 162 days a year and not say something stupid. I wouldn't last a week.

I just wish he had chosen to go after some fat guy sitting in the front row talking on a cell phone and waving to the camera for nine innings. Nobody would have batted an eye.

Posted by: bryc3 | August 16, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Is these seriously what is controversial these days? We have become so PC that you can't even joke about women and shopping and not paying attention to a baseball game? Dan, I love your work but you made Mike Wise look like Rush Limbaugh with this one.

Posted by: JDR1970 | August 16, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Fact is what Dibble said was exactly correct. These two woman had the best seats in the house and didn't watch a minute of the game.If you have any doubt they didn't even turn to watch the ball on Dunn's mammoth HR. They simply looked each other in the eye and chatted away. They should have met at the mall and given their seats to someone who would have appreciated them.

Posted by: wellscats | August 16, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Is Is this a joke??? Big deal Dibble says that. He was probably right as those woman could care less about the game. He’s just saying what everyone else was thinking.

Talking on cellphones and doing stuff to get on camera with their cellphones in their ears is really annoying when fans do that also.

Get over it Dude. Get on the Bryce Harper thing. You all should be hounding Boras as he tries to ruin another prospect. That's what G'Nats fans want to hear about. Not Dibble making fun of a couple “oh we’re here” fans.

Posted by: Dog-1 | August 16, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm not trying to be sexist or anything (I'm female)...but I have been annoyed by the amount of MEN who chitter-chatter for the entire game. Nats games, Caps games, even Redskin games!

Posted by: capsnnats | August 16, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Get a sense of humor, dude.....

I have an excellent sense of humor. "Women don't understand sports" is not funny. And he didn't say "look at those annoying people not paying attention to the game." He focused on their gender. So his apology was inevitable and appropriate.

Posted by: markfromark | August 16, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Near as I can tell this is only an issue being perpetuated by bloggers needing page hits. I give the Bog a pass on that, because at least it is about sports. But nowhere have I seen or heard anything about his comments other than bloggers.

Posted by: LouLewis | August 16, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

"I have an excellent sense of humor. "Women don't understand sports" is not funny. And he didn't say "look at those annoying people not paying attention to the game." He focused on their gender. So his apology was inevitable and appropriate"

Get over yourself.

My wife thought is was hilarious and a truth when he said it

Posted by: JDB1 | August 16, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Rob Dibble. These are probably the same idiots who chatter on their cell phones in restaurants, talk during movies, and use their cells and text while driving. What they have to say is SO important, it can't wait. It detracts from the enjoyment of other fans and is, in a word, RUDE.
Too bad a freak foul ball didn't conk one of these jerks, or better yet, nail both of them.

Posted by: pjohn2 | August 16, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

This all seems like a big overreaction. I mean, Dibble is just a high school graduate, and you know those people can barely put together a coherent sentence. We should be applauding him for his ability to simply put on his pants the right way, never mind holding down a steady job.

Posted by: foosball | August 16, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, man, he was right. No chance those chicks were jawing about baseball anymore than maybe 10% of the time. Have you EVER listened to women running their mouths like that?

Posted by: shanks1 | August 16, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Get a sense of humor, dude.....

Posted by: markfromark | August 16, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

No one said nor implied "women don't understand sports." But that was a pretty sweet straw man you set up right there. You invent a viewpoint that you opponent didn't take, then tear down that viewpoint. Man that is so much better than actually debating an issue on its merits.

The fact is the majority of women do not care for the sport of baseball. This is not a myth and there is nothing sexist about pointing it out. It's simply a fact, and if you'd like to check the poll numbers on this, feel free:

Posted by: Barno1 | August 16, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I think im big meech, Larry Hover....

Posted by: ged0386 | August 16, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Fact is, Dibble's comments were FUNNY. But the DC pc crowd can never take a joke.

Posted by: poguesmahone | August 16, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse