Snyder: Shanahan will "retire a Redskin"

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

Mike Shanahan is Daniel Snyder's seventh head coach in 12 years. Snyder recently suggested that this will be the last change for a while.

"Mike is going to be like Joe [Gibbs]," Snyder said in one final quote to the Hogs Haven bloggers. "He's going to retire a Redskin. This will be a great decade."

It's a strong quote, and no one would argue that a little stability out in Ashburn would probably be a good thing. There have also been all sorts of quotes about how Shanahan's discipline and order is just what the team needed after the Zorn years. Here was Fred Davis on the Junkies, when they asked him if Zorn was a buffoon.

"I don't want to say that, but I'll just say this: it's definitely a lot better management," Davis said. "Everything seems organized, everybody's following leaders, and I think that's what's most important about a team. If you don't got your players following you, then it's not gonna really work. I think everybody's following Coach Shanahan. They know he means business, and we want to win. We feel confident with him that it can happen."

So the implication is that leadership and order and discipline is what brings win. And maybe it does. But as Joseph White from the AP masterfully pointed out earlier in the week, whatever coach the Redskins have hired over the last decade has always been just what was needed, bouncing from one extreme to the other. These are all quotes from before the coach in question coached his first game with the Redskins.

Schottenheimer

"You want somebody that's demanding and has the discipline and gets the respect of the players," Jeff George said. "And I'm not so sure we had that here last year."

"He's a strict coach, a real strict coach," cornerback Champ Bailey said. "Everything happens on time. When he says to expect something, it happens. I think it will help us."

"It's more to the point," Cory Raymer said. "It's more enthusiastic."

"He's done everything I expected and then some," Snyder said. "He's brought clarity, vision, professionalism and integrity to the football team. I finally have complete confidence because this is my coaching staff with people with my stamp on it. Marty is my stamp."

Spurrier

"It's more laid-back," linebacker Kevin Mitchell said before Spurrier's first year. "Instead of somebody telling you what to do, it's more 'I'll leave it up to you.' It's up to you to get yourself in shape, and it's up to you to do all the other things, be on time. We're all adults now. It's your job, and you've got to take care of your job and your responsibilities."

"'It's a totally different atmosphere," defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson said. ''It's a relaxed working atmosphere. Guys are excited to come over here and practice and run around."

"'There is definitely a sense of camaraderie and support behind Spurrier," Renaldo Wynn said. ''If you have a bunch of guys who believe in what you do, that's where success starts. And all the guys that I know of, they definitely believe in Spurrier and they see it as a positive as far as his whole approach to not wanting to beat up players."

Gibbs

"I just think Coach Gibbs is handling things in the best manner you can possibly do it," linebacker LaVar Arrington said. "He's kept problems out of the media, he's rectified problems and made this team better by stressing discipline. I can't speak enough on him and the coaching staff and how they have conducted things. I think they're doing it the right way."

"Guys were laughing and joking around before the meeting last night. When he came in, everybody shut up," Chris Samuels said. "He's a disciplinarian coach and that's what we desperately needed here.

"When Joe Gibbs arrived, this whole building changed. The attitude of every player changed. I know people are going to doubt that. I'm just telling you it's true," said safety Matt Bowen. "You see it in everything from who shows up and how often for their offseason conditioning programs to the way you pay attention to detail in meetings."

"Nothing against the people before, but these kids were starving to be badgered," Joe Bugel said. "They want somebody to keep after 'em, show 'em things."

Zorn

"Coach Gibbs was an intense individual," center Casey Rabach said. "He wanted everything perfect, always so focused on the goal. Not saying that Coach Z isn't as competitive or intense, but he's got a different way of going about it. He can make a joke, he can keep it a little bit light, and people aren't on pins and needles around him."

"He's not going to get too excited, he's not going to get too down," Greg Blache said. "He just zips along. Consequently the players respond that way. They start to emulate the head coach. He's an exceptional leader. He's done a great job with this team attitude-wise. I think the guys are responding. I think the guys are enjoying it. They're having fun at practice. He generates a great optimism."

"Coach Gibbs was a great coach, but he tended to worry," Clinton Portis said. "Coach Zorn is just going to let it rip. It's going to be a more relaxed setting. There will be more opportunity to open it up and spread it out. There won't be people pulling at each other about whatever the call is going to be."

Shanahan

"I'm all about organization and structure," linebacker Brian Orakpo said. "Last year was a mess."

"He's not loosey-goosey like Zorn,"Rabach said. "He definitely has his script, where he has a plan laid out."

"[I'm] having fun. Football is having fun," Portis said. "Coach [Mike] Shanahan says he's the one under pressure. Go out and play and do the things he asks you to do and have fun. Having everything at a professional level makes it easier. All the pressure's gone. We can just come in and go play."

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 5, 2010; 12:25 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hey Nationals, Frank Robinson's a Hall of Famer
Next: Gilbert "Zero" jerseys on sale

Comments

Great post.

Posted by: mkremnitzer0 | August 5, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan will retire a Redskin? Serious? Did Mr. Snyder really say that? He can now read the future? You bet Shanahan will retire a Redskin...NEXT YEAR! The Redskins have had some great coaches over the last 12 years. One thing remains the same...inept ownership. Plain and simple. With all due respect Mr. Snyder, please help us all forget that you own the team by staying hidden.

Posted by: jaynewell1 | August 5, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

So we went back and forth from laid back to extreme.

Laid back guys Steve and Jimmy, went: 5-11, 7-9, 8-8, 4-12
Thats a nice 24-40 record, an ass kicking .375 winning %.

With the Intense guys, the A-hole leader types who no one liked, we went 8-8, 6-10, 10-6, 5-11, 9-7. a miserable 38-42, and a .475 wining %

Neither worked out GREAT for the team. But I will take the guys who got us to the playoffs over the ones who got us a top 10 pick.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 5, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Real professionals are running the club. Isn't that wonderful?

Posted by: shanks1 | August 5, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

This is what happens with losing teams. What's the common theme with all those coaches (except for maybe Marty)? They were all losers as Redskins coaches.

Posted by: tundey | August 5, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Hope springs eternal in this town. And the topic of the Redskins brings out the worst/best of it---for some reason, Redskins fans ALWAYS think they're gonna win the Super Bowl after a 5-11 season. Every YEAR! Can't explain it....but the "quoters" and the "reporters" know they have you all by the short hairs....so the nonsense continues.

Posted by: opinionatedinfairfax | August 5, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

What a bunch of pansies.

Posted by: Scoonie97 | August 5, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Why would Snyder think anyone would want to hear anything he had to say about football?

Posted by: goslin57 | August 5, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

An interesting retrospective that was. I like how Rabach's quotes are juxtaposed from Zorn to Shanahan, rather humorous.

Posted by: walkdwalk | August 5, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Re -- Snyder: Shanahan will "retire a Redskin"

Hmmm... Wonder which Redskins it'll be... as there are probably several who should have retired already.

Posted by: Vic1 | August 5, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Good column and you make your point well. But there is are reasons to make distinctions. Spurrier and Zorn were two versions of the same mistake. Gibbs 2.0 was nowhere near as good as 1.0, too much love for NASCAR and without Bobby Beathard as GM. Schottenheimer and Shanahan? Shanny is a better football man and has a lot more integrity. Shanny knows where the line is between pulling people together and forcing them together. Schott was clueless.

Posted by: StevenGrossman | August 5, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Shannahan WILL retire a Redskins. KYLE Shannahan, that is. Mike will fulfill his contract, and then pass the reins on to his son to continue the Shannahan legacy. A Super Bowl along the way wouldn’t be bad though. If things go extra well, Mike may stay on board for another 3 additional years. Mike knows that the only way his son will even be considered for the job is if the team (especially the offense) is successful. Kyle is young, and still has a lot to learn about being a head coach, and he is getting hands on training from one of the best.

Posted by: cj658 | August 5, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

You are by far the best blogger for the Washington Post.

Posted by: Mike4169 | August 5, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I so wish that Dan Synder aka Midget does not retire a Redskin....

Posted by: mofares | August 5, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Snyder will be firing Shanahan after three years.

He side stepped Russ Grimm for Shanahan.

Idoit Owner!

Posted by: shamken | August 5, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Well done!

Posted by: Trout1 | August 5, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I've been a Skins' fan since I lived in Maryland back in the late 80's-early 90's.
I've lived in Colorado since 1995, and I grew up in Houston. I can't even tell you who owns the Broncos, but I'll never forget Bud Adams and Daniel Snyder. Good ownership is quiet and supportive - if the only thing you know about a pro sports team is that the owner is an @#$%^&*, you have a problem.
I wish Shanahan the best of luck, and I think he and Allen are on the right track so far. We'll see...

Posted by: tlott01 | August 5, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

(make love to) Snyder!

Posted by: bobilly2 | August 5, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

You know Im sick and tired of all the "so called redskin fans" busting on Snyder..Yeah he has made a ton of mistakes...but they are his mistakes and his money not yours!!!!but it looks like he has finally seen the light...Give the guy a break and see what happens this year. I have never seen so many NEGATIVE comments in my life.....it gets old after awhile. Im a LIFER fan and yes I have said my displeasure with the team but you know maybe we should all just take a step back and try to root for the team instead of downplaying every move he makes or says.

Posted by: obxneric | August 5, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Really funny to see those quotes juxtaposed like that.

Ownership strategy has been consistent though.

Posted by: 202character | August 5, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Most depressing post ever. The sheer futility of it all!

Posted by: mmurchison | August 5, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

obxneric, we will give the guy a break AFTER we see what happens. The last 12 years are quite a bit more descriptive than the last 5 months.

Theoretically, say the Skins go 5-11 this year, with Haynesworth, McNabb, tight ends of death, and the over-the-hill running back trio. Do you honestly think that Snyder will see the light and, unquestioningly, and without intervening at all, allow Shanahan and Allen to continue their work? Everything we've seen so far says that next year is wholly dependent on performance THIS year.

I'm 100% rooting for the team, and I hope it's awesome, but I've also been paying enough attention to know that if this year is a bust, ticket prices will go up again, and the Skins will once again trade draft picks for another big name.

Posted by: ncromcr | August 6, 2010 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Another excellent post Dan, the rest of this beat can learn some things about creative journalism from you versus posting up speculation and nonsense.

Posted by: CantwaittoseeJLCgo | August 6, 2010 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Not many coaches left out there with SB winning in front of their names. It's safe to say with limited stars left, his choices are limited. Shan-The-Man is going to have to be the man from now on.

Posted by: MHEDRLT | August 6, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse