The Hogs still hate the Dallas Cowboys

(By Aaron Josefczyk - Reuters)

When will the Redskins nostalgia posts end? Hey, gotta justify that $93 car rental, right? Plus, I was a history major. In other words, never.

Saturday night, after Russ Grimm had been inducted into the Hall of Fame, Jeff Bostic came over to chat with a few media types, including 106.7 The Fan's Brian Mitchell and Chris Johnson, the guys from Hogs Haven, and me. I asked Bostic about the portion of Joe Bugel's presentation in which the video screen showed the 1982 Redskins ramming the ball down Dallas's gullet.

"Kinda brought back memories," Bostic said. "We felt pretty good about ourselves back then. Any time you beat the Cowboys, it feels good. I hate Cowboys. I won't ever pull for them. I want everybody to beat them."

Now, this was a fine enough quote on its own. But it was made slightly better by the fact that a guy in a Cowboys jersey was standing directly next to Bostic, easily within earshot, trying to get an autograph. I pointed out the Dallas fan. Bostic shrugged.

"I really don't have a whole lot of use for the Cowboys, for being the self-proclaimed America's Team," he said. "I mean, who named them that? Did they take a vote? What are they, The Anointed Ones? I mean, they thought they were when we came in the league, and it's kind of nice sticking it to them a couple times."

I should note here that the crowd all weekend in Canton was dominated by Dallas folks. The mayor of Canton said something about making it Dallas Cowboys Day there. The Emmitt Smith jerseys were everywhere. The tornado of fans trying to take photos of Troy Aikman was insane. "Smile for us Troy!" one middle-aged man screamed.

The crowd on Saturday night was dominated by Dallas fans, and the applause lines earned roars -- Chris Berman bellowing "How 'bout them Cowboys," Emmitt talking about "the team that I always wanted to play for, America's Team, the Dallas Cowboys" and remembering when Jimmy Johnson asked him, "how would you like to wear a star on your helmet?"

(By Mark Duncan - AP)

So you almost had to ask the Hogs what it was like to see Dallas partisans everywhere as they celebrated one of their own, right?

"I told a bunch of the guys, I said hey, this is a great night, there were just too many Cowboys here," Joe Gibbs said with a laugh. "You never grow old on that one."

"We still get our game face on when we see all these Cowboy uniforms, of course," George Starke said. "Absolutely. They're the Cowboys, we're the Redskins, we're not supposed to like them, and we don't. We still sign their autographs and stuff like that, we're not mean people. But you know, we wear the white hats and they wear the black hats."

"I don't like 'em," Bostic said. "I had a chance to go to their stadium last year and I said no interest."

"Yeah, I don't like 'em either," Joe Jacoby agreed. "It's never gonna die. Thirteen years, playing in the NFC East, to hear all that America's Team [talk]....Hey, they've had success, whatever. But it's still a rivalry, and it was nice that we still got to see it again tonight."

"Oh yeah, I was pissed off," Neal Olkewicz said of the Dallas invasion. "I mean, I like Emmitt Smith, but seeing all them Cowboy jerseys just kind of got me going. I understand why they're there, but I didn't like it."

And what about the America's Team talk?

"I like that even worse," Olkewicz said.

I mean, this was like throwing bleeding steaks into a pack of starving tailgaters. The Hogs couldn't help but bite. A lot of D.C. types have worried that the rivalry is losing some of its luster, but even Michael Irvin disagreed.

"Every time I go to D.C. and I'm trying to do a game, I see other guys that played against the Redskins," Irvin told me. "And the fans get around us, and they spend the whole two years that we're on the air - Dal-las Sucks, hey Michael Irvin, Dal-las sucks!!!! And I can't even hear, nor talk. I can't hear myself talk, or the people around myself on the desk talking, because of Dallas Sucks. It's like, I've been retired for 10 years, can you get on somebody else?

"But it just stays. Honestly, it will never die, and I don't necessarily want it to, because that means there's the passion for the game. You know the passion for the game is in D.C. I know people in Dallas have passion for this game. So it will probably always be that way. ...They tried to say the great [Dallas] rivalry was with the 49ers, because we met in the NFC championship game. It was always the Redskins. And honestly, it will always be the Redskins."

The Hogs agreed.

"Going back to high school and college, you've got to have a rival, you've got to have somebody to hate, and for us it was easy," Jim Lachey told me. "When you got to Washington, it was the Cowboys, and I fell right into place, man. I was like, ok, this is what I want to do, hate the Cowboys. And to this day man, if I'm gonna watch two games of the Redskins a year, it's gonna be the Cowboy games."

Before I gave up on this topic, I had to ask Daniel Snyder about the Dallas invasion of Canton.

"You know, we owned this stadium when Art and Darrell got in," Snyder said later that night, at the party he hosted for Russ Grimm. "With Emmitt and Jerry Rice, we didn't own it today. But we will again."

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 9, 2010; 2:46 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Steve Francis still says he's D.C.'s best since Bias
Next: Nats unveil Ring of Honor

Comments

Funny, I was just wondering last night who was the person that started calling Dallas "America's Team". Anyone know?

Posted by: JulzDC | August 9, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

i hate the cowboys with every fiber of my being. i cuss out every fan i know/see if they start sayin americas team or talk any type of sh*t about my redskins... HTTR

Posted by: remarkable4real | August 9, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I believe in the mid 1970's NFL films did one of their (Steve Sabol) post-season reviews of the cowgirls. The title of that show was called America's team and the nickname stuck with them.

They should have been named... America's Shame (smile)

Posted by: tommycat | August 9, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I love Lachey's comments. I grew up about 20 miles from where he went to high school in St. Henry OH. He was a Redskin in H.S. (St. Henry Redskins) and even though he wasn't drafted by the 'Skins, notice how everythinbg comes full circle... He my friends, is one of the true Redskins in EVERY sense of the name...

HTTR and the HOGS!!!!!

Posted by: mattkrogman | August 9, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

tommycat is right; it was NFL Films that first gave the Pokes that moniker. Believe they based it on the fact that when Dallas played on the road, there always seemed to be a good showing of Pokes fans.

Using that thought-process as a yardstick, I think today's "America's Team" might be the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Posted by: AnnandaleAnnie | August 9, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Thanks. I think if they did a survey they would find that no one except Cowboys fans think they're America's Team.

Posted by: JulzDC | August 9, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

They should have been named... America's Shame (smile)

Posted by: tommycat | August 9, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Shame is 4 and 12 and 0 and 6 in your own division!

Posted by: rlomax67 | August 9, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Isn't the Redskins/Dallas rivalry the basic reason why the league didn't put Dallas in the NFC Central or West when they changed the conferences?

Posted by: js_edit | August 9, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lauries1223ia | August 9, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm all for hating Cowboys too. But something about that changed a little tiny bit when I heard David Elfin on the radio saying he got Randy White, among other non-Redskins, to give him quotes supporting Grimm's case this year to the HOF voting committee.

Posted by: LouLewis | August 9, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

"Who cares what Dallas or their fans want to call themselves. The fact of the matter is that the Cowboys have consistently outperformed the Redskins. That's all that matters."

Not when it Counts, not when its really on the line.

Posted by: JDB1 | August 9, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: js_edit | August 9, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

There were many different scenarios when they realighned the divisions back in 1970. One was putting Minnesota, yes Minnesota, in the NFC East with Wash, NYG and Phila, and St. Louis. Rozelle actually picked the division lineups out of a hat, and they became what we saw from 1970 to, in large part, today. So, it was dumb luck that Minnesota didn't take Dallas' place in the NFC East, and the Black and Blue division, NFC Central, remained intact.

Bill Bidwell, the awful St. Louis owner lobbied hard to be in the NFC East because his wife liked annual shopping trips to NYC.

Posted by: AnnandaleAnnie | August 9, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: js_edit | August 9, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Also, the rivalry didn't exist until basically the 1972 NFC championship game, which was post realighnment.

George Allen is credited with "inventing" the rivalry. When the Skins became competitive in the Yellow Helmet/Lombardi era, short lived as it was, the "rival" was, for the most part, Philly, because of the Sonny connection.

Posted by: AnnandaleAnnie | August 9, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

REDSKINS FANS ARE A BUNCH OF PUNKS! WE OWN YOU GUYS! WE WILL WIN MORE SUPER BOWLS BEFORE YOU CLOWNS WIN ONE. YOUR TEAM IS THE LAUGHING STOCK OF THE LEAGUE AND YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT! COWBOYS RULE!

Posted by: cowboy4life | August 9, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cowboy4life | August 9, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Good times...good times

Posted by: kahlua87 | August 9, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AnnandaleAnnie | August 9, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Actually the rivalry technically started around 1959/1960 when the Cowboys founder, Murchison, wanted to buy the Redskins from George Preston Marshall and Marshall changed the terms of the deal. Murchison decided to start his own team but needed unanimous approval from the other owners. Marshall didn't want to support it but at that time Murchison owned the rights to Hail To The Redskins so they struck a deal for Marshall's approval in exchange for the rights to the song.

Posted by: JulzDC | August 9, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

HATE the Star! Especially when I see it being waved in DC. HATE! HATE! HATE!

Go 'Skins!

Posted by: Bebunk | August 9, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm so mad that I missed this years ceremony, but I was able to go 2 years ago when Art Monk and Darrell Green went in. My Skins fans were in the building 2 years ago and if when B. Mitch gets in we will be in Canton again. I have to have this Redskins colored shirt I saw on TV that read, " Have You Ever Been To Dallas" classic....

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | August 9, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: js_edit | August 9, 2010 3:51 PM

There was a realignment sometime in the early 90's (I think) - creating the AFC/NFC North and South divisions eliminating the Central divisions - because of the expansion teams.

The thing that always confused me when I really wasn't following football for a while is when they switched Seattle from the AFC to the NFC.

Posted by: charley42 | August 9, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Dallas sucks, I will always hate them.

Even though I have respect for Emmitt Smith and what he accomplished, I really can't stand the Cowboys.

Dallas is the ONE team if they lost every game I would not feel sorry for.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 9, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Us fans cannot always speak for our 'Skins underperforming or losing to the Cowpokes because thats out of our control. But here are 2 things I'd like to point out.
#1: Us Redskin fans are(mostly)from the Washington D.C. area. Thats what makes us better than cowgirl fans. Most of them are bandwagon fans that caught on during the 90s or for whatever reson that like attention.
#2 Romo can't hear himself on 3rd down or in the 4th quarter when they visit us in Fed-Ex. We do what we're supposed to do as fans. We put in work. Dall-ass fans just latch on and make excuses when they don't get it done. Bring week 1 on you star wearing SOBs, we'll be ready! Can't wait to burn that tony homo jersey in the parking lot before the game!

Posted by: willfacc10 | August 9, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Redskins fans, your team is not a rival of ours.

Posted by: jbworldwide | August 9, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

I can't get enough of these stories, keep em coming. I don't think the younger generation of fans understands the riverly, maybe this will put things in perspective. As far as Randy White vouching for Grimm, you may hate the other guy but they respect the good ones. No one can argue Emmit doesn't belong in the hall, just like they can't argue the Hogs don't belong in the hall. 50-Gut.

Posted by: dhartogs | August 9, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

wow, they won two strike bowl 8 game seasons and these bum street clowns were never good enough to wear that star. that is why they say "no redskin is ever good enough to be a cowboy" and the skins pick up their unwanted leftovers going back to jean fugett, duane thomas, calvin hill, and twenty other cast offs. that loser suisham should have never been let back on the property after he wore the bob marley logo. bostic never was and that illiterate pie face jacoby needs to shut his yap.

Posted by: doyouktt | August 9, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Please. If you don't come from, or live in Texas, being a Dallas fan is a severe character flaw. Don't believe me? Just talk to any of your garden variety Cowboys fans (yes, most of them ARE vegetables, primarily cabbages)......if you can endure it. They are all shameless front runners. If the 'Boys had had the seasons the 'Skins have had over the past ten years, you could pick any seat you wanted in Jerry's new stadium. I know..........I've been to Texas Stadium to root for the 'Skins. As bad as as the game day experience is at FedEx, that doesn't happen with the 'Skins.....even with a 4 and 12 team.

Posted by: prestoj | August 9, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Not really true about Redskins fans. I grew up near Greensboro, NC in the 70's and 80's and until the Panthers came along, Washington was THE team. Every game was on local TV and all of the stations and papers covered them as the home team. Even now in that area there are nearly as many Redskins fans as Panthers fans and if they are not playing where they would conflict on the air, the Redskins games are shown. The Redskins at one time covered the whole south in the pre-Dallas and pre-Atlanta days. The "Fight for ole DC" line of the fight song was originally "Fight for Ole Dixie"

Posted by: rjohnson66 | August 10, 2010 1:16 AM | Report abuse

It could have been REDSKIN day/night in Canton if any Redskins fans had bothered to show up for Russ Grimm's induction. Sadly, not many bothered. So don't blame Cowboy fans for arriving in Ohio from all over the country for Emmitt Smith's induction or 49er fans for showing up for Jerry Rice's induction. It is a sad, sad commentary on Redskins fans that there were more 49er fans there than Redskins fans.

Posted by: damannion | August 10, 2010 1:17 AM | Report abuse

z-z-z-z-z.........this story is so tired.

Posted by: earthling | August 10, 2010 6:21 AM | Report abuse

The Cowboys self annointed themselves as America's Team. NFL films actually approached the Steelers in the mid 70's and were going to call them Americas Team but apparently Art Rooney (Steelers owner) declined and the Cowboys thought it sounded good and started calling themselves Americas Team and NFL films went with it. That's what I heard....someone would need verify it. I'm sure Dan could contact Steve Sabol....

Posted by: Loggie1 | August 10, 2010 6:40 AM | Report abuse

All cowboys fans are bandwagon riding d-bags. i hope they all die in a fire

Posted by: jonthefisherman | August 10, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

This post was raw red meat, good reading. Thanks, Dan!

Posted by: Lindemann777 | August 10, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Definition- "COWBOY": A low paid worker indiginous to the western United States, that herds cattle and and tends horses. The typical "cowboy" is poorly educated, usually illiterate, and is disproportionally afflicted with chronic alcoholism and drug addiction. The "cowboy" likes to wear boots, leather, and big hats, and to "ride steers" in spare time. The "cowboy" is the favorite idol of the American homosexual population.

.......... Some "hero" for your kid, HUH?

Posted by: Doowadiddy | August 10, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Well, one thing that Skins fans have over Dallas fans is the fact that most Dallas fans can not be described as genuine. The vast majority of Dallas fans have no connection to the city of Dallas or Texas what so ever. They are, for the most part, the very definition of bandwagon fans. Most of them are so fragile emotionally that they have a need to attach themselves to a team they really have no connection to because they have been spoon fed the idiotic idea that Dallas is the “cool” team to root for. Pretty sad actually.

Posted by: TheOtherGuyInSection117 | August 10, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I was glad to read where all of the Hogs still hated Dallas. My Heroes. My sentiments exactly. I live in Cowboy country so it is hard to be a Redskin fan here. Every week i pull for whoever dallass is playing. I hate that now the media is pulling for dallass to play in the Super Bowl in their home stadium. I would love to see them get to the NFC championship game and lose to someone from the NFC East. Crap on Jerry.

Posted by: DIEUDALLASDOGSDIE | August 10, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: adwashburn | August 10, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

@cowboy for life who still hasn't learned how to shut off his CAPSLOCK button:

Best shirt in Canton, Ohio last Saturday:

"Have you even BEEN to Dallas?"

Posted by: gerse | August 10, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Love to hear the Hogs take on Dallas. Wouldn't have expected anything else. Wish the likes of Talbert, Kilmer, Jurgenson, Bostic, Jacoby, Starke, Warren, Olkewicz, Coleman, Manley, Grant, etc... would make it a point to get in the heads of these modern day Skins. The rivalry has suffered severely over the last 20 years and the present day Skins have NO IDEA what the rivalry use to be! Educate these boys. Show them clips of the RFK stands bouncing. Hell, most of them weren't even born when RFK use to rock w/ chants of "We Want DALLAS" like no other stadium in the league!

"Have you ever BEEN to Dallas" T-Shirt in Canton was CLASSIC!! Hell, most of 'em can't even point it out on a map.

Posted by: jfmayer | August 10, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

This sounds vaguely familiar:

Posted by: cowboy4life | August 9, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

And...wait for it...

SAN DIMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES!!

Posted by: trezmartin | August 10, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Cowboys4Life concluded his Neanderthalic drivel with "Cowboys Rule"
You were close meathead but not exact. To be laser accurate you should have ended your sophmoric contribution with "Cowboys Drool"
Back to your bowl Clem!

Posted by: burro2 | August 10, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I hate Dallas and I hate the Dallas Cowboys… always have… always will. I have a story that happened to me a few years ago I want to share… my wife and I took a cruise to the Western Mediterranean, The Vatican, Rome and Florence, Italy a couple of stops in Greece and later Turkey… so we’re in the market at Rhodes, Greece and my wife (a Vikings fan) starts laughing, I look up and what the hell do I see coming toward me… yeap, a Dallas Cowboy tee-shirt! Later in the trip after we walked to the top of the Acropolis in 96 degree heat… it was some German wearing a #88 Dallas Cowboy football Jersey ( I was hoping he got heat stroke…), then and some jerk on the boat lost his Dallas Cowboy hat overboard (that was too funny because everybody saw it fly off) and that made it all good for me after I saw that, I went up to him, announce myself as a Washington Redskins fan and bought him a drink, there were quite a few Skin’s fans there on the boat…, but man, those Cowboy fans they’re just like roaches…

Posted by: oda155 | August 10, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

ANACOSTIA '74 - '76!

Posted by: oda155 | August 10, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I know this won't happen, but wouldn't it be awesome if the Redskins beat the Cowboys in the NFC championship game here at FedEx and then won the Super Bowl in the new Cowboys stadium?

If that happened, I think I would die a happy man.

Posted by: StevenA875 | August 10, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Well I got my ticket for the season opener. I cant wait to beat some cowboy fans ass!

Posted by: b37bomber | August 10, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Cowboy's are America's team ? I seem to remember they were South America's team with all the snow blowing in Dallas back in the 70's and 80's. I hate Dallas but even more for what they did to Coach Tom Landry. When he was in charged, the Skins-Dallas rivalry were pure energy-heart pounding exciting games. If Dallas thinks that they can run over the Skins this year, think again Bozos. There is a new Sheriff and Mayor in town- Coach Mike and Bruce Allen. Hey Cowboys, I seem to remember a coach with the same last name- GEORGE ALLEN. I two favorite teams are The WASHINGTON REDSKINS and who ever is playing the dallas cowboys. My #9 jersey is ready for this season.

Posted by: raleighnative | August 10, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

A great collection of intellectually astute comments. My favorite is the "Dallas fans who have no connection to Dallas." By this argument the genius behind it has negated all Redskin fans from... Richmond, Virginia, Virginia Beach, Emporia, Bristol Tennessee, all Carolina Redskin fans pre-Panthers, how about the Texas Redskins, a Redskins fan club in Texas comprised of Texans with, get this, no connection to Washington, DC. By the very nature of this intellectual giant's argument, anyone outside of the District of Columbia has no direct connection with Washington DC... wait a minute... the Skins practice in Ashburn, VA and play their games in Rowjon, MD. Interesting.

Posted by: Olaf78 | August 11, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

In case you Redskins fans are actually interested in some facts, here's what Wikipedia has to say on the America's Team debate; Mark Mosley at ESPN says basically the same thing:

Bob Ryan, now Vice President and editor-in-chief of NFL Films, coined this for the Cowboys while preparing and editing the team’s 1978 season highlight film.[8] He was quoted as saying:

I wanted to come up with a different twist on their team highlight film. I noticed then, and had noticed earlier, that wherever the Cowboys played, you saw people in the stands with Cowboys jerseys and hats and pennants. Plus, they were always the national game on television.

Ryan told the NFL Network, for their Top Ten Nicknames show:

I saw all these fans in away stadiums. Hey, they're the most popular team in the country. How can I use that? Why don't we call them "America's Team"? [2]

During the Cowboys' first game of the 1979 season, a nationally televised game against the St. Louis Cardinals (which Dallas won 22-21), the television announcer for CBS introduced the Cowboys as America’s Team and the name stuck.

Dallas' Hall of Fame coach Tom Landry originally did not approve of the appellation of America's Team. He felt that it would give opposing teams extra incentive to play harder. Eventually he gave in and actually came to like the name.[9]

The Cowboys have never been the "self-anointed" America's Team you'd like us to be, but we're pretty damned popular around the country, and we're ready for another great season. Get your popcorn ready; we face off in the season opener this year!

Posted by: adrian-alexander | August 11, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Wish present day Redskins would talk about the Cowboys the way these old timers do...but it'll never happen. Players today are too self-absorbed to be concerned with rivalries. Besides, the Skins haven't had a true rivalry since their Super Bowl heydays and don't deserve one til they turn this thing around. Perhaps the reincarnation of Shanahan will do that for us. We'll see.

Posted by: dc1020008 | August 11, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

This is hilarious!

"That's funny... I wonder why Mike Irvin did not mention what fans were really chanting at him last time ESPN set up in the FedEx parking lot: "It's not my pipe! It's not my pipe!"

Posted by: adwashburn | August 10, 2010 11:32 AM |"

Posted by: jschwartz1 | August 11, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse