The Verizon Center's new banner

When Ted Leonsis visited The Post's offices this spring, I asked him about the Verizon Center's East wall, which has typically celebrated the Wizards most times of the year.

He told me he hoped that spot will reference all the building's tenants simultaneously: the Wizards, the Caps, the Mystics, Georgetown, the entertainment options, and so on. He said he didn't want that wall to be considered the property of any single team. And he seems to have delivered on that hope, with the above banner, via SB Nation DC.

In other Verizon Center news, fans at Wizards and Caps games will apparently be able to play interactive group video games. Verizon Center is one of two American arenas embracing this technology. Via the Ottawa Citizen:

With CrowdWave, eight cameras are set up strategically around a stadium to monitor fans and allow them to play a video game projected on the central display screens by moving their bodies.

For example, a game shown on the scoreboard between periods of Ottawa 67's fans encouraged the crowd to lunge left or right to stop shots being fired at a virtual goalie. If too many people lunged the wrong way, or were too slow to react, the goalie gave up a goal.

If Verizon Center crowds are slow to react, just hold up a Chipotle burrito. That reacts the hell out of em.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 30, 2010; 1:48 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Media , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DeAngelo Hall asks reporter to remove her heels
Next: Chris Cooley's Redskins fantasy football preview

Comments

Caps pictured first! Not that you would know since Steinz has THE WRONG PICTURE POSTED.

Posted by: Leeguru | August 30, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Dan you are funny, but , true that! Washingtonians love their Chipotle, that's for sure.

Posted by: ivyleague | August 30, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I think it's wrong that the caps are listed first. I know the Wizards have sucked but Abe built that building for them. Having the caps first, to me, is a disrespect to Abe.

Posted by: tundey | August 30, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Also, why do they have Blatche (instead of John Wall) and Crystal Langhorne (and not Alana Beard)? I think this banner won't last.

Posted by: tundey | August 30, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Jeeze people, for crying out loud. What does it matter who is in the picture or what order. The man owns them all and last I remember, the Caps are the team with the winning record. And lets face it, I love the Wizards and I am a ride and die fan but until they prove otherwise, they friggin suck! And maybe the reason they used the picture of Blatche instead of Wall is that uh Blatche has been here for a few years. Chill out and quit complaining about the most insane things. Jezze! Complain,Complain, Complain.

Posted by: ivyleague | August 30, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ivyleague | August 30, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Please... disrespecting Polin? Come on people. I highly doubt Abe is rolling in his grave because of a banner on the Verizon center. If Abe is rolling in his grave for any reason, it's because of the Wizards debacle of a season last year.

Good banner. I'm sure the usage of Langhorne is meant to get some Lady Terps fans in the building for some Mystics games.

Posted by: MillBurray | August 30, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

In all honesty, every time Leonsis goes on about all the improvements he is making to the Wizards and Verizon, he is indirectly dissing Abe. Not that Abe doesn't deserve to be dissed for many things related to his ownership. He does.

Posted by: poguesmahone | August 30, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I dig the banner. Those complaining about the Wizards placement behind the Caps: think that the Hoyas should be upset about being outranked by Beyonce?

Can't really say I have the same enthusiasm for the other "improvement" being made. I'll reserve judgment until I see it in action, but…

Posted by: Goat_74 | August 30, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

AWESOME! Interactive video games to be played by spectators on the mega-tron by fans!

Just what I wanted as a Caps season ticket holder who pays out the a**. This video game system is sure to wipe away the pain of being at three game 7 home defeats in the past three years. Thanks TED! Keep talking about winning the Stanley Cup at your stupid 'Caps Conventions'...

Posted by: philarmy | August 30, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

I think the team that wins and makes the playoffs should be first...so I guess that would make the Wiz last behind Beyonce?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | August 31, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tundey | August 30, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

actually, he built the building for both of them as he was still the owner of both teams when the arena was finishing in 97. but other than that fact...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | August 31, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse