Andre Johnson responds to DeAngelo Hall

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

During his media blitz on Monday, DeAngelo Hall -- among other things -- said that he wasn't intimidated by Andre Johnson. Here's part of his remarks:

"I played him in college. This is my first time goin' against him in the league. And I gave him a lot of props before the game; during the game....He didn't scare me. You know, he didn't really do anything that looked spectacular. He didn't do anything to make me feel like he was the best."

Hall also said he would be covering guys like Johnson in the future. On a radio appearance of his own Tuesday, Johnson was asked to respond.

"I mean, those are his thoughts," Johnson told Houston's Sports Radio 610. "The scheme that they ran, if he wanted to play me man-to-man, he should have told his coaches before the game. That's not my problem. For them to be running zone coverages like that with the safety over the top, and for me to still have 12 catches for 158 yards, somebody wasn't doing their job."

Johnson didn't say who that someone was, but he was also asked about the jump ball he won over Reed Doughty to tie the score.

"Because of the coverage that they were in, I was just hoping that [Matt Schaub] threw a jump ball, and that's what he did," Johnson said. "He gave me a chance to go up and make a play on the ball, and I was able to come down with it."

And he was asked about the team's attitude in rallying on the road.

"When we came in at halftime, you would have never thought we was down by 17 points," Johnson said. "I mean, guys were comfortable. Coach Kubiak was like hey, every time we had something bad happen, it was because of us, it wasn't nothing that [the Redskins] really had done. We just kept playing, and once that field goal got blocked, I was like it's over."

Johnson was joined on the program by running back Arian Foster, who was asked about his conversations with the D.C. fans behind the Texans' bench.

"They had some fun fans out there," Foster said. "I don't really like to get into playful banter with fans, but they were really going at me, so it's fun when you make a play and you come back and it's kind of quiet."

By Dan Steinberg  | September 21, 2010; 2:39 PM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins Insider Live Webcast
Next: Varlamov wants you to go to the Caps Convention

Comments

From my perspective, the Texans game on Sunday was a two man show. Schaub made some incredible throws under pressure. Johnson made some incredible catches under pressure. They both looked like elite players in the NFL. Simply put, there were a handful of plays that either guy could have missed and it would have clinched a Redskins win. In every instance, Schaub and Johnson were able to make that critical play and keep the Texans alive.

Posted by: MillBurray | September 21, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Hall's looked good this year, but c'mon...Andre Johnson is ANDRE JOHNSON. He's the second best WR in the NFL after Larry Fitzgerald, and Deangelo is NOT the second best CB in the NFL. I'm not even sure I'd put him in the Top 5 in the NFL. Hall can say what he wants, but it seems to me that this is just more of Hall throwing teamates (specifically, Doughty) under the bus because HE couldn't cover hims man. Yes, the TD that Reed gave up was a dagger, but honestly - is there a defensive back on the roster RIGHT NOW that would have definitely stopped Johnson from making that catch? The guy's got ups and long arms, he's like Herman Moore but with actual talent.

Posted by: RCBJr | September 21, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

The opponent is right, each team had the opportunity to, or to not stop themself. We have seen our team decide to not be a TEAM late in many games. Same old rerun, we do have a coach and a QB, but to many league players not Redskin players, Case Closed.

Posted by: CTaylor42 | September 21, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

D Hall is a bit off on his remarks about Andre Johnson not doing anything spectacular against the Skins on Sunday but he does have a good memory. D Hall and VT held AJ to 1 reception for 11 yards on Dec. 1, 2001 in Blacksburg but like the other day, Johnson had the last laugh as #1 Miami beat #13 VT 26-24.

Posted by: ctank77 | September 21, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Hall lined up across from Johnson 21 times on Sunday. Johnson had zero catches during those 21 plays. Just sayin.....

Posted by: Judge_Smails | September 21, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Is this guy serious? Lets get something straight, nobody is confusing D. Hall with a shutdown corner. This isn't 2001, this isn't 2005. Wake up DC, this guys a clown who is going to destroy whatever team chemistry is left. By the way, who the hell was covering K. Walter? What'd he have, something like 11 rec, 150 yrds and a touchdown? Without Landry this secondary is trash...

Posted by: tsa80 | September 21, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

That game was their crappy secondary versus our slightly better secondary. Two fatal mistakes cost the 'Skins the game, the roster as constructed has to play perfect or close to it to win games like this.

Posted by: bassguy654 | September 21, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

the redskins are a show, plain and simple. they will get pimp-slapped by the Rams (remember the Lions?)and then it will be like a Lil Wayne show at KFC stadium cause all that will be left in the stands will be white trash and wanna be thugs..

Posted by: doyouktt | September 21, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

hey doyouktt thanks for the idiotic post you did a great job of making no freakin sense at all. keep up the good work.

Posted by: heatseeker690069 | September 21, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

D Hall should just be thankful Jake Delhomme wasn't out there to run him over for a first down on a third and long.

Posted by: diesel4 | September 22, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse