Anthony Armstrong screams at the Dallas bench

If you watched the Redskins' opener from home, your lasting image of Anthony Armstrong will probably looking something like the above shot, perfectly captured by The Post's Jonathan Newton. The Redskins tried to go to Armstrong two plays in a row early in the third quarter, and neither resulted in a touchdown. Then they botched the field-goal attempt and got nothing. That's probably what you'll remember.

In the fourth quarter, Armstrong got his first (and only) catch of the game, the first of his NFL career. That's probably what he'll remember.

But none of that will be my lasting image of Armstrong from Sunday. Mine is of the young receiver sprinting halfway across the field when the game ended -- reaching that point before virtually any of his teammates -- and then standing there, screaming at the Dallas bench while gesticulating wildly.

Other Redskins joined him. Clinton Portis could be seen dancing some sort of jig, and other players raised their arms and hugged and made all happy-like, but none with Armstrong's intensity.

Sadly, I can't find a single image of this. Happily, he was willing to explain.

"I was out there just yelling, saying that this is our house, to make it interview friendly," Armstrong said. "That was for the whole city of Dallas, all of that. That was just like this is our house, and we got y'all. I was just extremely excited. It was out of this world. All the emotions. You can't even imagine."

I asked him how long he was yelling, because I eventually had to leave the press box.

"I don't know, I've just barely stopped since we got in here," he said 20 minutes later. "We had to do the Lord's Prayer, so you can't really yell through that. I'm so excited. I'm on Cloud 12, 13, I don't even know."

(Speaking of outstanding yelling, here's Orakpo entering the locker room after the game. The video is too hot for the Bog, but he's colorfully suggesting that the Cowboys can't block him.)

Armstrong, of course, was previously a lifelong Cowboys fan with a Cowboys-blue bedroom, whose relatives have given him grief for days about this game. He knows people who play for Dallas, and other people who work in the organization. That's why he was there, waving his arms, before anyone else.

"Once I saw that ref give that holding penalty, I knew the rule - 10-second runoff - so I took off," he said. "I was just so excited. It feels so good to beat those guys. There's already the rivalry, and then being from there, everybody talking crazy to me all week, I just get to put it in everybody's face. I'm ecstatic."

Finally, I asked whether he saw how any of his teammates were celebrating.

"I saw some other people kind of jogging over, I saw Orakpo coming," he said, trying to remember. "But I was worried about those guys in the white."

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 13, 2010; 2:44 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: LaRon Landry explains his celebrations
Next: Redskins review their gold pants

Comments

One catch receivers that juggle and drop sure touchdowns shouldn't be yelling at anyone. Wait until you have done something meriting praise before you scream at another team.

Posted by: JAMNEW | September 13, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I think you can now add Anthony Armstrong to the Carlos Rogers 'All-No-Hands' team. (G)

Posted by: bbmcoachk | September 13, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

BTW, had Mr. Rogers made that interception late in the 4th quarter, that might have wiped the slate clean of his career of dropped picks.

Well, probably not all of them, but quite a few at least. (G)

Posted by: bbmcoachk | September 13, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Well, probably not all of them, but quite a few at least. (G)

Posted by: bbmcoachk | September 13, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

when will people accept that Rogers is a great cover guy with rocks for hands?

Posted by: alex35332 | September 13, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Rogers has ever had his eyes checked...

He can't even line his hands up with the ball.

Posted by: Scoonie97 | September 13, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

when will people accept that Rogers is a great cover guy with rocks for hands?

Posted by: alex35332 | September 13, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

When being a great cover guy with rocks for hands doesn't LOSE you games. We narrowly escaped last night. Rogers is a fantastic cover db, but his inability to MAKE A BIG PLAY at the end of the game has cost the Skins more wins than any other player to don a burgundy and gold jersey in the last 10 years. I know you can't blame a lose solely on one guy. It's a team effort and you can always say "well if this guy had done that, we wouldn't have even been in a position to rely on Rogers to make a play."
The fact is, Rogers may have not been the sole reason for losses in the past, but on more than one occasion, he has been a major reason the Redskins didn't win. He HAS to start making these big plays when they count.

Posted by: MillBurray | September 13, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Many will say Armstrong was over-celebrating considering his contribution to the game. Whatever. I appreciate seeing a player showing that much emotion/passion for the game. Remember this the next time you get the sense that players don't care as much as the fans do.

Posted by: gclyde | September 13, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

This can't compare with Sam Wyche (backup QB) telling the Cowboys to, "Die you yellow dogs! Die!"

Posted by: fakedude2 | September 13, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree with "alex35332", Carlos Rogers seem to be a superior cover back, he just can't catch. I don't think a receiver he covered caught a pass. hall may make the flashy interception, but Austin beat him like a drum. Redskind fans have to accept that Rogers won't catch the ball and accept him for the good cover DB he is.

Posted by: JAMNEW | September 13, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I guess no one noticed the pass interference not called on the second throw to Amstrong. Yeh he certainly has no hands...

Posted by: aarseneault06 | September 14, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Armstrong may want to think about the fact that they have to play them again this season............

Posted by: poguesmahone | September 14, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

You guys are a bunch of losers. Way to go anthony! Have fun out there!!

Posted by: BrownBagIt | September 14, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse