Bringing back the Bullets

This, in my opinion, is why you can never go back to the "Bullets" nickname, nostalgia be damned. And it made me instantly think of the statement Abe Pollin issued when he announced the team would change its name:

I realized this some time ago when I picked up the newspaper and saw the word 'bullets' in a headline and thought for an instant that the article was about my basketball team. Unfortunately, far too often these days, 'bullets' in the news does not have anything to do with basketball. It was then I realized we should change our name.

We write one story about the Bullets -- and it was a great one -- and the same thing immediately happens.

I love the return to the old colors, and I'm agnostic about the name change, but I just don't see how you make that argument successfully.

By Dan Steinberg  | September 28, 2010; 1:17 PM ET
Categories:  Media, Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis and McNabb pulling for Vick
Next: Redskins Insider Live Webcast

Comments

Political Correctness will be the end of all of us. The name of a sports franchise does not affect anything in society. It is totally meaningless and all in good fun. As a society, we have become so hyper-sensitive to everything, to the point where every day millions of Americans wake up in the morning looking for a reason to be offended.

Cars kill exponentially more people every day in America than guns, but I don't think anyone would object to a basketball team named the 'Corvettes'. It just goes to show you how bankrupt the arguments are against the team name 'Bullets'.

The real truth--which those who wanted to change the team name refuse to admit--is that what this issue is really about is the Second Amendment. The anti-gun lobby, of which the Pollin family was a big part, hates the team name 'Bullets' because they hate guns. This was a political statement by the Pollins, and nothing else. Yitzhak Rabin's death was just Abe's excuse to change the name.

And just for the record, I am not a gun owner and I don't have a position on the gun issue. I just call it as I see it.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 28, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

This reminds me of the Jay Leno joke when the Bullets originally announced the change. "The Washington Bullets wanted to change their name to remove any association with gun violence, so from now on they'll just be called 'The Bullets.'"

It's not the name of the team that is problematic...

Posted by: sloppydumper | September 28, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Easy how did we get our freedoms so u can push your liberal views? Bullets

Posted by: redskinz571 | September 28, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg: spare us the p.c. nonsense. Please.

Posted by: poguesmahone | September 28, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

I see the Glenn Beck crowd is here today.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 28, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

and the award for worst comparison goes to Barno1, for somehow managing to yoke cars to bullets. Perhaps if he stopped and thought about it long enough to let his knee stop jerking, he would realize that deaths as a result from car collisions are almost always accidental (emphasis added), while death by bullet is almost always homicidal.

Language matters, words matter, names matter. The last thing I want my students in inner city DC glorifying are guns, and I applaud the Pollin family for making the difficult decision to change the name.

Posted by: John_Keats | September 28, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

John don't take Barno all too serious. While he's probably a decent-enough guy all he does is hurl insults at posters who don't agree with him.

Plus it seems like he'll defend sub-.500 Fridge and Dan Snyder like he's their first-born.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 28, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

However John, if your students somehow connect bullets from guns with Bullet basketball players, well they may not be the sharpest too in the shed.

I mean, I don't associate the Clippers with haircutters.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 28, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I grew up in Northern VA and I'm a DC homer. Not one time did I connect the team name to anything negative.

It was such a PC reach when the name was changed. Forget Polin's liberal views, this was about trying to change a losing culture/perception. Polin may have been a great man, but the guy was cheap and had no clue how to run a professional organization which is why he ran this team into the ground.

Besides that, I'm sure he made a few bucks selling all the new gear.

Remember, bullets dont kill people, professional athletes do (but usually after a few drinks and driving an uber expensive car)

Posted by: Hondo5 | September 29, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

oh. my. god!

I was just looking at the sports section and one of the headlines was "Dunn delivers big shot". Just terrible.

On the front page of the actual paper and the headline says he delivered a big blow. My kids read the paper!

Posted by: Hondo5 | September 29, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Keats did you happen to protest when the Prince William minor league baseball team was called the Cannons? I love airheaded p.c. nitwits.

Posted by: poguesmahone | September 29, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

@poguesmahone oh the humanity! cannons! I could hardly type the word. Think of all the poor sailors lost at sea from those damn cannon balls! Don't even get me started on the Akron arrows!

Posted by: Hondo5 | September 29, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I am a longtime fan of the team and remember the great name change debate very well. We changed the name b/c of gun violence and I respect that,but I have a question and would appreciate any help. When we signed Gil from Golden State he was facing a court date over a gun charge and we signed him anyway. What does that sound like to you?

Posted by: Beltwayboy7 | September 30, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse