Bryce Harper's favorite sports teams

Well, future Nationals superstar Bryce Harper definitely has all the tools to be a proper international superstar, at least judging by his favorite sports teams. He was on D.C. radio on Wednesday (and Tuesday, for that matter), and he identified the teams he roots for. It's out of the official Villain's Guide For Choosing Loathsome Front-Running Sports Teams.

He started with the NFL.

"If I'm rooting or somebody, it's the Dallas Cowboys," Harper said, while Holden Kushner and Brian Mitchell entered dueling states of cardiac arrest

Finally, Mitchell became sentient enough to ask why.

"Why do I like the Cowboys?" Harper repeated. "Because they were always a winner when I was growing up."

The Cowboys last won a Super Bowl when Harper was approximately 4 years old.

(Turns out Harper also discussed this issue on ESPN 980's The Sports Fix on Tuesday.

"You guys aren't gonna like this, and Washington won't like it either, but I'm a Dallas Cowboys fan," he said. "My dad grew up watching the Cowboys and stuff, Emmitt Smith and Irvin and all them. They were just a great team, they were a powerhouse, [and] I always like the best teams, so that's how that came across. And I love their uniforms. They're just a pretty team.")

Moving on, he was asked if he was also a LeBron-like Yankees fan.

"I am," he said. "I'm a Washington Nationals fan, but I like the Yankees."

Next.

"My basketball team? Lakers," he said. Of course. As if there were any doubt.

College football?

"I love UT," he said.

College basketball?

"Duke," he said.

Also, his favorite energy company is BP, his favorite past president is Richard Nixon, his favorite pro wrestler is the Iron Sheik, his favorite fictional character is a tie between Gordon Gekko and the Queen from Snow White, and his favorite casino gambler is The House.

(By the way, John Wall is also a Cowboys fan. Trent Williams said he never rooted for the Star. I don't even want to ask Ovechkin.)

(See more at Nationals Enquirer, which beat me to it. Also, the gamblers line was from @RickAllen.)

By Dan Steinberg  | September 22, 2010; 2:05 PM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nick Young's growing out his hair
Next: How to block two guys on a field goal

Comments

HAHAHAHAHHAHA

So he's a fan of the Cowboys, Yankees, and Duke.

Yeah this kid isn't a front-runner at all.

Oh and he looked like a monster-d0uche on that TMZ video with his sporty faux-hawk. Seriously, a faux-hawk?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 22, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I think I just had an aneurysm.

Posted by: ThisGuy | September 22, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Im pretty sure Ovi supports the Skins. He has a Cooley jersey and has been seen at many games.

Posted by: green52fan | September 22, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Booooo.

Posted by: kjhealey | September 22, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg always there to keep it real.

Posted by: goose33 | September 22, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if his support of sports teams, all front-runners, is foreshadowing that he'd rather join a winner then help create one?

Derek Jeter helped build the Yankees in the 90s. Arod just jumped on for the ring.

Jordan built a perennial loser (Bulls) into a 6 time NBA Champ. Is Harper more like Karl Malone, Gary Payton and the like who jumped over to the Lakers (only to fail)?

I don't like this at all, however, I'm thinking more and more of the younger generation seems to be like this. Much more front-running and less loyalty, at least geographically. So sad.

That is all....carry on.....

Posted by: fushezzi | September 22, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Cowboys-Yankees-Lakers is really bad, but Texas and Duke too? Wow, that's weak.

Posted by: mkremnitzer0 | September 22, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

this kid is such a tool

Posted by: jf317820 | September 22, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Well - at least he didn't say his favorite NHL team was the Penguins and that he worships Sidney Crosby... We have that going for us!

Posted by: capsnnats | September 22, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

_at least he didn't say his favorite NHL team was the Penguins and that he worships Sidney Crosby_

Right, instead he said, "what's the NHL?"

Posted by: Sam6753091 | September 22, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

17 year old idiot who happens to be able to crush a baseball. If he had been alive, he would've rooted for the Russians in Lake Placid.

I can spend my sports dollars elsewhere.

Posted by: rdpinva | September 22, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

He was a big fan of the United States of America, lately his leaning towards China.

Posted by: pearlbullets | September 22, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

The Lakers at least make sense for a Vegas kid.

Don't know who he's obligated to root for with no pro or major college sports teams in town - but it probably isn't Duke.

Posted by: tha_prophet | September 22, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

And his favorite baseball player is Bryce Harper.

Posted by: bryc3 | September 22, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I hear his favorite Shakespearean character is Brutus, but he's also of fan of King Claudius, "Because he didn't waste any time getting together with Hamlet's mom."

Posted by: EdTheRed | September 22, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

He better be good because this kid comes off as a serious d-bag.

Posted by: Andymr | September 22, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

It amuses me greatly to imagine him in the early 90s, ditching his only successful home team (the Runnin' Rebels) for the Blue Devils while still in the womb.

This kid is going to have an awful career.

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | September 22, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

His favorite software company: Google or Microsoft?

His favorite radio station is anything run by Clear Channel.

His favorite way to go to baseball games is to buy seats through TicketMaster.

His favorite car company used to be Honda. Then it was Toyota, and now it's Honda again.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | September 22, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Ed, what makes you think this tool-bag even knows who Shakespeare even is. i doubt this kid has ever even picked a book up. Harper is the epitome of douchbaggery. sigh.

Posted by: sa11231 | September 22, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Hahaha, is this kid for real? He epitomizes every "fan" that I hate. As a kid growing up in Vegas, I bet he rooted for the house.

Posted by: MillBurray | September 22, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

You know, I wonder if this is a window into his real self. I mean, maybe he has a need to attach himself to perceived winners in all sports because he has a deep need to feel like a winner himself. His bravado and demeanor may very well be a mask for deep rooted low self-esteem. His actions may all be cover for a scared little boy who has a deep need to be accepted and needs to have his worth constantly reaffirmed.

Posted by: TheOtherGuyInSection117 | September 22, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

What a complete loser. Starts with his idiotic first name. D-bag with a capital DOOOOOOOSSSHHHHH.

Posted by: Section104 | September 22, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

He sounded like a nice guy during the 106.7 interview with B-Mitch and the other guy. Don't know why you're calling him a D-bag. Sure, his favorite teams aren't D.C. teams, but at least he answered the questions with apparent honesty. Give me a break: the guy is only 17 years old. He's articulate and appears more mature than the average 20-something professional athlete, let alone the average teenager.

Posted by: HonestBroker1 | September 22, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

And the major league teams of Las Vegas are?
Exactly, he had to pick teams. You might have not noticed, by the Yankees, Cowboys, and Lakers are often on TV (way too often, for my taste, all the same).

I suppose by territorial rights, he should be an LA fan. That excuses the Lakers. And the LA football teams left when he was 2. Then again, there is no reason to be a Yankees fan.

And for Duke... Perhaps being LDS he was a huge fan of the Mormon Monster, Matt Christensen.
Actually, is the only thing worse than saying you're a Duke fan, saying you're a fan of wherever Calipari is currently coaching?

Posted by: cbm92 | September 22, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

The Cowboys last won a Super Bowl when Harper was approximately 4 years old.

This is exactly what KILLS me about Cowboy fans. Dude, what winning did they do that this kid remembers? What, did he pimp a Quincy Carter jersey while growing up?

I mean, being a front-runner is all well and good (ie, Duke, Yankees, Lakers), but the Cowboys? Uh, hope you enjoyed voluntarily rooting for a team that always choked when you wanted them to win the most.

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | September 22, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

I HATE this M-F already! I just started hating him with the fury of 1000 white-hot SUNS!!

Posted by: iubiquity | September 22, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Just trade him and Wall now %(#&% the Cowboys

Posted by: Mike4169 | September 22, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

At least he has good taste in college basketball.

Posted by: 1995hoo | September 22, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Good lord, what a bunch of *ssholes you people are! Foaming at the mouth and calling a 17-year-old all sorts of names just because he doesn't root for the teams of the area that he just happened to get drafted into? He's 17, d*ckwads, give it a rest and get a life.

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | September 23, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Was I the only one disturbed when Holden Cushner started talking about "cougars" and warning Harper about them? Honestly that moment was to me anyway, cringe worthy

Posted by: Liebercreep | September 23, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Wow, and up until this point he sounded like such a pleasant, likable kid. When you interview him, will you ask him where he buys his warpaint for his junior college baseball games?

Posted by: drischord | September 23, 2010 2:46 AM | Report abuse

honestbroker1 shut up you are a d bag too! lol

Posted by: heatseeker690069 | September 23, 2010 6:25 AM | Report abuse

He only roots for the big name winners? (I'll actually forgive him the Cowboys thing if that is who his Dad roots for) Wonder how this kid will handle his first slump. Or whether he'll go all out in August when the Nats are not in a pennant race. Hope he grows up during the next few years in the minors. (And what a contrast with the humble maturity of Strasburg)

Posted by: humbleandfree | September 23, 2010 7:00 AM | Report abuse

That tells you everything you need to know. Not because he grew up in the city where they played or its outskirts. But, "because they were always a winner." That seems like the rationale of most Cowboys fans.

Posted by: stwasm | September 23, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

I say we storm the Harper Castle with our pitchforks and torches and burn him at the stake. Who's with me? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

And, I hear Chris Cooley's favorite color is teal... D-Bag.

Posted by: mojo6 | September 23, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Wow he doesn't like the local pro football team with the racist name. I knew I liked this kid.

Posted by: Dog-1 | September 23, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

So in other words, Bryce Harper is a front-running fan. No loyalty to any of his "local" teams, having jumped on the bandwagon of teams he perceived as winners early in life, spanning the globe to make sure he is never associated with a team that might not win. Just what Nationals fans want to hear from their latest millionaire (did his agent not give him a primer on how not to alienate the people who ultimately pay your salary?). Makes me think of the old "better to have people think you're a jerk than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

His love for the Yankees is well-known, and playing for them is his dream. Let's hope the Nats get a good, productive four years out of him before free agency takes him there...or trade him today for 3 or 4 good prospects.

Posted by: kemp13 | September 23, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

He probably likes "Sweet Caroline" and Rob Dibble too!

Posted by: rvrtis | September 23, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

----------------------------------

Hey braintrust!! What local "pro-teams" should he rooting for in Las Vegas???
You idiots bash him for giving his honest answers and I guess you would feel all warm and fuzzy if he had just lied and said the Skins, Bullets, Terps and Caps!!
What a group of pathetic haters you are!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | September 23, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

So, what, you'd like him more if his favorite teams were the Lions, Pirates and Eastern Illinois?

Posted by: ShovelPlease | September 23, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Well he was called by SI the "Lebron James" of baseball.

Posted by: bassguy654 | September 23, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

The majority of the comments on this board amply demonstrate what kind of people the posters are. So he likes front-runners. Big frakkin deal. I don't want to have dinner with him; I want him to sock home runs. Who gives a hoot as long as he becomes a great ballplayer. Get a life, people. Do you feel better after taking shots at a 17 year old kid?

Posted by: Handsome_John_Pruitt | September 23, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

If he comes up from the majors in a few years and is a fantastic slugger then I could not care less. And if John Wall plays well for the Wizards I could not care less who he roots for. I did find it funny that he likes some of the same sports teams as Lebron!

People take it down a notch!

Posted by: bassguy654 | September 23, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Another front runner fan, similar to LeBron James. We've all met these types, deep rooted insecurity.

Posted by: je121819 | September 23, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Now Lebron James plays in DC.

Posted by: frankjomama | September 23, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Harper is 17 years old. Anything he says now is what you would expect from a high school senior.

In other words, little of real value :-)

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | September 23, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

At least we know he won't take it personally when Washingtonians cheer for the visiting team.

Posted by: dtysko | September 23, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Cherry on the sundae had to be Duke. If you divide your collegiate allegiances by sport, you are a low character.

Posted by: dubuqueman | September 23, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I usually don't look much into these sort of things, but his reasoning behind his choice of teams is telling. I can't help but think he could be a "me" kind of player, merely biding his time for when he becomes a free agent to sign with the Yanks in 2017 or whenever it will be. Not if he signs, only for how much. He's a five "tool" player alright.

Posted by: bsdman | September 23, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

speaks volumes about his character.

he really is the next LeBron

Posted by: nothinbutthetruth | September 23, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

yeah, he's fairly odious, or a typical 17-year old.
Dan's line about Bryce's favorite gambler is classic~! LOL

Posted by: rbelleisle | September 23, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Wow. So many people on here are nuts. Does anyone really expect a 17-year old's favorite team to be the Nats? Give me a break. Who freakin' cares?

Posted by: rodeorob | September 23, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I am sorry but this kid is nothing but a front runner.... he and his dad rooted for the popular teams.... to me that is fake as can be.... I want him to test his loyalty to his teams to see if he is a true fan by taking a history test on each team. A true fan will know the answers!

Posted by: rvanags | September 23, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Too bad he isn't playing for his hometown team so he could bolt for the money in 7 years and "screw" them ala Lebron.

Posted by: SimonOnSports | September 23, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Give us time, we'll brainwash the punk.

Posted by: cokedispatch | September 23, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Says volumes about loyalty. This kid will never be a part of anything bigger than himself.

Posted by: kieran2001 | September 23, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't this kid have an agent or a handler to keep him from saying stupid things that will offend the fan base? The Yankees? The Lakers? The COWBOYS? Who wants to bet that Scott Boras arranges for him to get a seat in Dan Snyder's box and has him wave to the camera wearing a Redskin's hat and a McNabb jersey?

Posted by: MrDumberton | September 23, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Is there a single person out there who thinks this kid will be with the Nats past free agency?

Posted by: waittilnextyear | September 23, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse