Clinton Portis and pro wrestling

At some point in all of our lives, we loved pro wrestling. Maybe it was when you were 7 or 8 and watching with dad. Maybe it was when you were 19 and had nothing else to do on Monday nights. Maybe it was when you were a 30-something sports-talk radio host in Washington. We've all been there.

Clinton Portis too. His weekly 106.7 The Fan appearance had few fireworks, but a pleasing diversion into the world of pro wrestling that began when Portis discussed his football toughness.

"If you ever see me back down to any man walking or any man talking or any man standing on the football field, you know my time is up in this league," Portis told the Mike Wise Show. "Because for 29 years, I came in where my heart pumped the Kool-Aid and I feared no man. The great thing about it, you'll never see me cut. I'm gonna look any man eye to eye and try to give it to him."

This led Holden Kushner to ask whether Portis would have feared an in-his-prime Hulk Hogan or Andre the Giant. And this led Portis to switch from Shanahan to McMahon.

"Well, being that I know wrasslin' is a lot of acting, I probably would have went out and tried to beat Jimmy Superfly Snuka or Koko B. Ware," Portis said. "I would have loved the opportunity to fight Sting or Ric Flair back in their day. I think that would have been exciting.

"Now I think it's too overrated. Back in the day when I was a kid, I remember crying when the Undertaker put Sting in the casket. We was all crying in the room and holding hands and thinking Sting was dead. I think Sting was my favorite wrestler, and Undertaker put him in the casket, and that was on a Saturday, and I remember wasting my whole Saturday crying and thinking Sting was dead. And then he came back on Monday. I haven't watched wrestling since."

Now, I'm no wrestling expert, and maybe I mis-heard Portis. I'm really not positive if he said "Sting," though it sure sounded like it. But I did a bit of Googling, and I'm not positive if Sting and Undertaker ever actually fought. Any help, folks?

By Dan Steinberg  | September 28, 2010; 11:59 AM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Whitlock, Feinstein have at the Redskins
Next: Portis and McNabb pulling for Vick

Comments

No, Dan. You're right. Sting has never been in the WWE/WWF, and Mark Callaway, the man who is the Undertaker, has never been The Undertaker in any other company.

So, no...Sting has never been put in a casket by the Undertaker. Clinton Portis is a dope.

Posted by: dkincannon | September 28, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Yes and no. Undertaker never put Sting in a casket. The two men were matched before the Undertaker dead man persona was created, when Undertaker was wrestling as Mean Mark Callous.

Posted by: evwill | September 28, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

My guess is that Portis is thinking of the time The Undertaker put the Ultimate Warrior in a casket. Warrior and Sting used to wear similar face paint (they actually used to be tag partners way way way back when).

Posted by: CalleJoFan | September 28, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

It was the Ultimate Warrior that was put in the casket - I thought it was real at the time too.

Posted by: DC383 | September 28, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he meant The Ultimate Warrior?

Posted by: Brute | September 28, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Portis might be confusing Sting with The Ultimate Warrior who was put in the casket by Undertaker around that time as part of a televised segment.

Posted by: evwill | September 28, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Sting & Undertaker have never wrestled each other, period.

But Superfly Snuka was the man!

Posted by: Sanchez17 | September 28, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

CP is thinking of the Ultimate Warrior.

I'm shocked that he remembered something wrong.

Even more shocked at the amount of dorks, myself included, that knew it was the Ultimate Warrior.

Posted by: rhbancroft | September 28, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rhbancroft

Painfully true. I'm guilty.

Posted by: Brute | September 28, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse