Clinton Portis on speaking the truth

During his weekly 106.7 The Fan radio appearance last week, Clinton Portis said some stuff about women in the locker room. It became a national story. Then he apologized in a statement, declined to speak during to reporters during the week, and stuck to football after Sunday's game.

At the conclusion of a mostly tame appearance with Holden Kushner and Brian Mitchell, Kushner brought up last week's kerfuffle, saying he thought Portis had been joking and that everything had been blown out of proportion. A bad radio guest would have agreed mildly with this sentiment, asked for good luck against the Rams and said goodbye to the hosts.

Clinton Portis is not a bad radio guest.

"I mean, I put it behind me," Portis said. "I think people gonna always have negativity, man. When people don't wish you the best, it's always something that they're gonna find. I think everything that come out of my mouth is the truth. Whether people like it or not, it's always the truth. So with the comments that I made...they were true, and some people can't stand the truth. And some people [can].

"At the same time, if you know me, if you know my sense of humor, if you know the way I talk, you know you're getting the truth or you know you're getting the humorous side of me. I don't think it's that serious. I think there's more to life going on that you can complain about and make a topic of discussion or point out and have on all the talk shows or give people a reason to point fingers besides the stuff that I say out of my mouth.

"So you know, for the people who don't understand, I'm never throwing anybody under the bus, I'm never bashing anybody. I think I tell the truth, I speak from the heart, and it's up to you to accept it. If you really don't want to hear me talk, then you can always tune out of this station or tune out of my interview. If you see me come across, just turn the TV off or turn the radio off. You don't have to listen. I think every day [there are] gonna be topics or headlines, that somehow someway they're gonna take my quote and put it into a context that I didn't say it in.

"I think if people would have listened to that whole interview, they would have seen I didn't say anything about the [TV Azteca] reporter. I just was speaking in general about reporters being in the locker room. I mean, it's over and done with, and for myself, I just won't comment on matters that I don't know anything about. And I'm gonna continue to mind my business and go on about my day and not lose any sleep, and when I get with my teammates, laugh about what I want to laugh about, and take the criticism that I'm gonna take.

"I'm used to it. This is my ninth year in the league. I've been a topic of criticism since I've been here. So I'll be all right."

Well, I, for one, will not tune out of his interviews.

By Dan Steinberg  | September 21, 2010; 12:03 PM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Nats' record-low crowd
Next: Redskins third in the NFL in online buzz

Comments

"I think if people would have listened to that whole interview, they would have seen I didn't say anything about the [TV Azteca] reporter. I just was speaking in general about reporters being in the locker room."

Amen CP. The media took those comments and ran with them without even bothering to listen to the entire interview. If they had, they'd have realized you weren't even aware of the Ines Sainz "controversy" and Holden Cushner did an impossibly awful job explaining it to you. But that's today's media for you; they're not out there to report the news, they are out there to sell stories.

Don't ever change CP.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 21, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Agreed -- the whole thing was a complete non-story, pursued aggressively by liberal feminist groups, a league that has been taken prisoner by the false ideal of political correctness, and a media that NEVER prints the whole story. People draw conclusions based on one quote that the media pulls from an entire interview and start screaming bloody murder and raising pitchforks based on that one quote. Should people be responsible and take the time to actually find out the facts? Sure. Will they? No. Instead, the media controls how people draw conclusions, because most of us are too lazy and ignorant to take pride in their own informed thoughts.

Chances are the league and/or the Skins tries to get Portis to release another press release...I mean, the Redskins will have some 24 year old draft a couple sentences and Portis will sign it.

Posted by: Section104 | September 21, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Lies are the new facts in today's media world. Just ask Shirley Sherrod.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 21, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Portis' pocket's straight, man.

Posted by: WorstSeat | September 21, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

the media is more of the problem these days than the players. Also, whether or not you agree with what he said or not, it is his right to have an opinion and state it.

Posted by: CelticFCbhoys | September 21, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

portis is an idiot. no wonder steiny hangs on his every word

Posted by: slim4 | September 21, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Portis Pockets Straight!

Posted by: Roman5 | September 21, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

What arrogant garbage..

He must be his mother's youngest child - he will do or say anything to be the center of attention!! ANYTHING!!!
to be seen or heard.... Just not shut his mouth!!

Its sad he is thrilled to be used by the media as fodder.

Obviously, Dan & the media get a kick out of letting this guy continuously make a classless fool of himself.

Posted by: McleanVa09 | September 22, 2010 1:23 AM | Report abuse

What arrogant garbage..

to be seen or heard.... Just not shut his mouth!!

Its sad he is thrilled to be used by the media as fodder.

Posted by: McleanVa09 | September 22, 2010 1:24 AM | Report abuse