Clinton Portis's slide

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

UPDATE: Mike Shanahan said on Monday that Portis was nursing a hand injury that caused worries about ball security, which is why he went down on this carry. Portis said after Sunday's game that he wasn't injured.

After Sunday's loss to the Rams, Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said that Clinton Portis wasn't benched, and that offensive coaches were just carrying out their gameplan.

"No, that was our plan," Shanahan said, when asked if something was wrong with his starting running back. "I thought both of them did an excellent job running in the first half. I'm not sure what their yardage was, but both of them had a lot of yards, and we were gonna keep Clinton in there on passing situations on third down and Ryan [Torain] on the first- and second-down situations."

Maybe so, but when the first quarter ended, Portis had 6 carries for 45 yards -- all of which came on first or second downs -- and Torain had 0 carries for 0 yards. After the first quarter, Torain had 7 carries for 46 yards and Portis had a single third-down carry for minus-1 yard.

"I think that's their plan," Portis said. "I can't question it. When they called my number and told me to go in, I went into the game....I guess [Torain] was hot....I felt like when they called my name, I go....We've got a lot of playmakers, so if they call somebody else's number...."

(Of course, the team didn't run a single rushing play in the fourth quarter, so by that point it was moot.)

Anyhow, a lot of viewers immediately speculated that Portis's time on the bench was somehow related to his second carry of the game, when he scampered for 27 yards but seemed to slide down voluntarily at the end of the run.

"I don't understand why he went down," Fox analyst Charles Davis said. "Clinton, keep digging for yards, young man."

Jim Mora then suggested that Portis tripped while trying to cut, and watching the replays, it's sort of impossible to tell. These stills won't help you much. He might very well have lost his footing. But the way Portis hit the ground, rolled and never tried to get back up -- plus a history of watching him do the same -- means basically every Redskins fan watching assumed he slid.

When you add in the roll, he probably didn't cost himself much yardage, if any. Readers have pointed out that there were Redskins players slipping on the turf throughout the game. And Portis has demonstrated -- most recently last week -- a fondness for absorbing and dishing out tremendous punishment while blocking. But this was sure a strange sight from a starting NFL running back, and it had to make you think of that crucial red-zone carry a week ago, when he appeared to do the same thing.

Here are two angles of his fall, followed by a look at last week's red zone tumble.

By Dan Steinberg  | September 27, 2010; 12:31 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins, looking miserable
Next: The Redskins, the Rams and talent

Comments

Wait, so he fell down?

Posted by: Thinker_ | September 27, 2010 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Why did he fall down?

Posted by: Thinker_ | September 27, 2010 12:50 AM | Report abuse

"The Portis Flop" .. been noticing that for a while. It is very strange. Although I didn't get to see the game today, I know what it looks like. Very discouraging but Portis is such a bruiser it's hard to assume he's avoiding contact. Maybe he needs velcro instead of laces?

Posted by: rfjh1 | September 27, 2010 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Looked to me like Portis slipped while trying to make a cut; it's something that happens a lot on TURF when the player isn't as used to it. And the Rams home stadium is turf.

Posted by: WEWard3 | September 27, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

That used to be to the house.

Posted by: ThisGuy | September 27, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Three defenders to his left, one to his right and we're supposed to believe he slipped cutting left into three defenders?

Not a chance, he's just slow...and apparently lazy.

Posted by: NaptownSkins | September 27, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

CP falls down...alot. Way too much to be an every down back. And once you fall out of favor with Shanny, you sit.

Posted by: kahlua87 | September 27, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Portis looked around and knew he was surrounded. I beleive he flopped to prevent one of the guys behind or next to him from punching the ball out? Worse case senario it was no worse than running out of bounds to avoid an unecessary hit.

Say what you want about some of the dumb things Clinton says but he is a tough player who isn't afraid to dish it out or take it. He routinly blasts blitzing linebackers which is more than you can say about any of our tight ends!

Posted by: sbf845 | September 27, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

From the photos in the article, CP seems to have a left leg problem, possibly a knee problem. It's probably becomes very painful to him when he tries to maintain accelleration and speed. He probably decides to slide when he knows he is about to be stopped. Doing so prevents any further damage to or pain from his left leg injury. Sliding down also provides for a few more yards.

Posted by: rvallone24 | September 27, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

He may just need longer cleats.

Posted by: questioningauthority | September 27, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

He's always done this. It's inexplicable b/c he can be such a punishing blocker.

Posted by: dbunkr | September 27, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I called Doc Walker and asked him if he thinks that CP if giving up on plays because he doesn't want to get hit? And Doc says that CP is basically trying to protect the ball, thus the falling down. BS! The guy who can block with the best of them of blitzes can't take a hit out on that field. He fell during the game yesterday and I hope we trade his a** back to Denver for Champ.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | September 27, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

It's not just Portis, the Skins have been leading the league in Falling Over for a few years now. I dunno if its equipment guys picking the wrong cleats or some sort of rampaging vertigo, but its a team-wide epidemic.

Posted by: CommieX | September 27, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm not necessarily a big CP fan, but I do know he's not a wimp. I'd be more inclined to believe that he lost his balance making the cut and then wanted to protect the ball. He's not afraid of contact and he fights for yardage. Charles Davis is full of beans.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | September 27, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

COM'ON MAN! Portis took a slide because he did not want to get hit and funble. Yeah, yeah, yeah he can dish out hits but this was clearly a case when he did not have another gear to go to and he was afraid of funmbling if he got hit. It was a major league baseball slide. I thought he was a running QB the way he went down.

Posted by: wspinks1 | September 27, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

"Portis pockets straight" at least that's what he told B-Mitch. Maybe we need a RB that has pockets that can make a cut and not fall down!

Posted by: DCFanCouncil | September 27, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Who's the guy sitting next to him?? Brandon Banks??

Posted by: ttn703 | September 27, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I agree with your comments to a certain degree but Shanahan did not win 2 rings until he had a running back, Terrell Davis, even with John Elway as his quarterback. The mighty numbers Portis has stacked up this year, 63,33, and 44 yards in each game this season are simply pathetic. Portis also has only two 100 yard games in his last 17.
The Redskins total inability to run the ball takes away those long, soul crushing drives of 10-15 plays that eat up 10 minutes of the clock. (You spoiled us John). Instead we watch the Redskins get the lead and then show a total lack of being able to eat up clock while moving the ball on the ground. As long as this continues, the Redskins will put up performances like we have had to suffer through the last 2 weeks.
The Redskins ran the ball 5 times total in the second half. Portis managed -1 yard on the goal line for his fine effort. The Redskins had 2 drives of 3 and out and 2 more drives of 4 and out.
Gibbs preached time of possession. The Redskins managed an entire 10:10 of offense in the second half. People want to blame the defense? When they are busting their ass for 2/3 of the second half because of a completely inept offense by that point, what is the defense supposed to do?
As I said before, until the Redskins part ways with the man who is more worried about women in the locker room as opposed to himself being allowed in the locker room and the Redskins can put together those clock eating drives, there is no reason to expect anything different. Next week is the Eagles. I am not even going to hold my breath on Portis even coming close to 100 yards. Last week was disgusting. This week was just sad. Hopefully Shanahan realizes what got him those rings sooner than later.

Posted by: darkstar42970 | September 27, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

That was an OBVIOUS slide. Anyone that has been watching the Skins the last 2 or 3 years has seen these slides from Portis before. I have been complaining for 2 years now to my boys that Portis is afraid of the big hit. Ever since he had that shoulder injury in the preseason a couple of years ago and especially after that concussion last year he has been sliding to avoid injury. It makes me physically ill to to see him slide so much. We should have "sold on him" 3 years back. I agree that he is a vicious blocker. But its one thing to know exactly what you're about to hit and for you to be the one that can deliver the blow. It's another thing for you not to know where the blow is coming from and/or have it delivered by multiple guys.

I think its obvious that he has been running scared the last couple of years. I'm not saying playing RB in the NFL is easy but we need a RB who is going to finish the run without wondering if he's about to be concussed.

Posted by: AllAboutTheSkins | September 27, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Redskins fans are really rational people.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 27, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

It does look like he slides when he breaks through the line a lot of times, but I don't think you can question his toughness with the way he blocks. He really got in shape this year and seems really committed, but it's kind of hard to get a 100 yard game if you're only given 7 carries. I don't know what the coaches are thinking.

Posted by: nuzuw | September 27, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

@ Barno1 Love how no one says anything about McNabb running out of bounds a full 5 yards before a defender would have touched him, and yet everyone is attacking Portis for a run in which he gained 27 yards.

McNabb is a QB -- He's SUPPOSED to run out of bounds and/or slide. No coaches tell a RB to slide or run out of bounds. C'mon.

Posted by: dbunkr | September 27, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

If Shanahan said he didn't bench him, then he probably didn't...

Aw, who's kidding who?

I think Portis ran out of steam and took a dive. That's what I think.

I think Shanahan benched him for it--as well he should have. If he thinks his player was quittin' on a play, then what the hell else was he supposed to do?

And it's not like he can prove Portis quit on that play in a court of law--or the court of public opinion. So, he communicates his disapproval in the way that makes sense to Portis and the rest of the team. Nobody else needs to understand it.

And what did you expect Portis to say? "I quit on a play, and I think the coach benched me for it"?!

Say that to a reporter? Clinton Portis?! Why would he say that?

Posted by: Shultz86 | September 27, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dbunkr | September 27, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Nonsense. McNabb is not SUPPOSED to run out of bounds and/or slide a full 5 YARDS before a defender would have touched him.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 27, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

It's very easy to explain. It happens to all athletes when we get older. Your mind tells your body to do something but your body just can't respond quick enough the way it used to. It happened to me a few years ago. I used to be able to cross people up and create my own shot on fastbreaks, but when my mind said fake right and then go left, my legs somehow did not get the memo that I was faking to my right and continued to go right, and I fell on my face.

Let's face it fellow Redskins fans, Portis is old in running back years and yes, he has talent but you have to also be in your prime physically to play the running back position. Clinton sure is not in his prime. We need to draft some young stud to turn into that workhorse. This will be Clinton's swan-song season.

Posted by: EJack78 | September 27, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Increasingly, Clinton Portis appears to run scared. Yes, I know that he is a courageous blocker, however, when it comes to running with the ball, he's looks like a guy that doesn't want to absorb the hits anymore. Yesterday's "dive" after a the 27 year run was clearly not a slip -- rather another in a growing pattern of runs that conclude with an awkward fall to avoid being tackled.

Also, noticing that he is the only back in the league I see that needs oxygen following a single series of plays. Many backs on the downsides of their careers hit the "wall" with a thud. Unfortunately for Clinton and the Skins, Portis appears to be done.

Posted by: ddgibson | September 27, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Portis is done and has been for a while. The real issue is the Redskins DBs. They are all awful! Hall couldn't cover a bed and Rogers is just as bad. Landry runs around like a wild man and is out of control and can't cover anyone either. They just benched their best player Reed Doughty, and started a guy who can't cover or tackle anyone. Kareem is awful too!

Posted by: gbarrett22 | September 27, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

At least this time he ran for 27 yards before falling down. He usually falls down at the line of scrimmage.

Posted by: jnbergquist | September 27, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I WOULD FLOP TOO...FOR SIX YEARS I HAVE BEEN LOSING...WHY RUN HARD FOR 1200 OR 1300 YARDS WHEN YOU KNOW WHAT THE END RESULT IS... A TEAM THAT WILL NOT GO ANY WHERE. P.S. CAN HE GET A REAL OFFENSIVE LINE PLEASE.

Posted by: opmeco | September 27, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

This season isn't going to be disaster, but it may not be one that shows the team is heading in the right direction.

If McNabb doesn't come back (and why would he want to if team goes 6-10?) then there is a big hole at QB, RB, WR, OL, DL and DBs (maybe team is ok with linebackers).

Still don't know if Gano is a long term answer at kicker. Plus Shanahan may not be a good coach anymore.

Posted by: Pensfans | September 27, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I'll take it as a slip. To be fair to Portis, anyone who posts his numbers from this year as proof of his inability to produce is being disingenuous. For the most part, they haven't put up numbers in the run game in part because the oline hasn't been able to create running lanes. And secondly, they haven't really tried to establish a running game. I think that the Skins were on the verge of putting it to the Rams defense. They were really beginning to pick up some good gains, and then they got away from the run...again! They started going for the quick strike as opposed to putting good drives together. And not that it's a bad thing, but when you put up field goals instead of touchdowns, you're asking for trouble.

Oh yeah, Heyer is TERRIBLE at the LT position.

Posted by: Rahwaj | September 27, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

fell, slipped, flopped.. whatever.
The plan was to not run the ball?
What kind of plan is that? Note to coach:
the plan didn't work!

Posted by: bozhogg | September 27, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

For a coach to be labeled a "running back guru", he's not off to a respectable start in DC.... and I'm not talking about our 1-2 start with ZERO running game.

Rod Torain was, last week, our #5 running back and was on the practice squad. Never mind that we kept LJ over him, but we did. Now, a week later, and after LJ's release after 5 total carries... it looks as though Torain inexplicably went from #5 in the Coaches eyes to #1!!!?!?!?

Don't get me wrong, I love the kid and thought all along he was our best RB by FAR!!! But for the coaches to make a move like that is assine!!! #5 to #1 in a week!???!!!??!?!

And if Torain doesn't start at Phili next week it will be another rediculous move! Portis is done, period. There's NO burst, there's NO fight, there's NO breakaway speed.... 3 mandatory things a team needs at RB. Torain gives us our best chance to win...

Posted by: bussman24 | September 27, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

The field looked slippery -- D. Hall also had an embarassing slip and fall later in the came. Portis has some shortcomings but fear of contact is not one of them.

Posted by: jbspear | September 27, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I see a lot of comments about the O-line and it might be true but it has no bearing on the fact that an NFL RB is sliding like a QB when he feels he might get hit. Stephen Jackson doesn't do it and he's had an awful O-line for 3-4 years now.

I equate Portis to Roy Jones, Jr. after he got knocked out by Tarver. RJJ was never the same after that; he didn't want to leave himself open for that next big punch. I feel like Portis is the same way. He's so afraid of getting injured or taking a hit like he did against ATL last year that he just gets down to the ground at the first sign of contact.

Posted by: AllAboutTheSkins | September 27, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I think he was trying to protect the ball and when he went to make the cut didn't have the free arm to help him maintain balance. Portis is good about wrapping up the ball to avoid the fumble and after seeing Moss give up the ball I suspect he was being extra careful of avoiding a strip from behind in the open field.

Posted by: Doki60 | September 27, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

that does look like Brandon Banks sitting next to Portis. Brandon Banks was released on Saturday, but like they say in Texarkana Tx....kinda sorta but not really....

Posted by: kingpenn1 | September 27, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

In looking at the first photo, no cut was needed. Simply run!!!

That's also the sign of a back who's finished...making one too many cuts because they've lost a step...in this case maybe two.

Posted by: ddgibson | September 27, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis is expecting to be takin down at the line, but when by chance he breaks past the line he acts like he doesn't know what to do. I think he like shut down after 8 yards. Maybe he is wearing a House Arrest ankle braclet that shocks him if he goes to far away from the line of scrimmage?

Posted by: cosmicgue | September 27, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis is expecting to be takin down at the line, but when by chance he breaks past the line he acts like he doesn't know what to do. I think his legs shut down after 8 yards. Maybe he is wearing a House Arrest ankle braclet that shocks him if he goes to far away from the line of scrimmage?

Posted by: cosmicgue | September 27, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

When I watched that play I thought he slid purposely. I still do. Makes absolutely no sense to me. Honestly, Portis looks like he's done. He's been great and I appreciate all he's done, but I hope this is his last season here, we need to get some backs that want to run hard. Torain is a start. Wouldn't surprise me if we see Ryan getting more touches now. The images of Portis on the sidelines during the second half are disturbing. He looks like he's about to cry or whine. Is that the look of a 'leader'?

Posted by: CrestfalleninGeorgia | September 27, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Mike said Portis was injured and Portis said otherwise. Portis was doing great and just slipped and was basically BENCHED...what the hell is going on here and I have never seen such mess as Mike is pulling this year. We may have gotten the WRONG coach again :-(

Posted by: gman54 | September 27, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

CP#26 is getting old (in football years). His legs can't support all of the cuts and stutter steps anymore and he can't maintain his burst. Also, if you don't think the triple crunch concussion (2 side shots and then the turf) he took last year has affected him, you are not thinking clearly.

He's one heck of a warrior and he can still blow LBs up when they blitz the QB, but he's heading in the same direction as the great backs that came before him.

I'm going to enjoy watching him play until he can't go and them I'm going to celebrate the superior talent he gave to this mediocre team.

Let's go Torrain. It's your time to sacrifice your youth for money and Redkins glory. We need you baby!

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | September 27, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Hold on a moment - this is the same guy (Portis) who injured himself chasing down an interception during PRESEASON a couple years back. And yes, he does block with intensity and yes, players were slipping quite a bit last night - most notably, D. Hall. So no, i don't think for a moment that Portis went down on his own. He may need to restrain his tongue from time to time, but he's no Dieon Sanders who's afraid to take a hit.

Posted by: jschwartz1 | September 27, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Portis is one of the toughest players in the league, bar none. Anyone that doesn't think so isn't very observant. If flopped, there was good reason. He never admits to injury, ever. The only thing that bothers me about his running style is when he goes left, like the pictures above against the Texans, he hold the ball in his right hand. That always forces him to twist his body to protect the ball, and takes away from his ability to get around the corner.

Posted by: bharn | September 27, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Portis falls cause he is slow and he doesn't want to fumble while he is being tackled from behind. He shouldn't be benched for that. The pouting act on the sidelines was worse than the "slip".

Posted by: coparker5 | September 27, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

CP reminds me of Eddie George at the end of his career.

Posted by: Aerowaz | September 27, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Redskins fans are really rational people.

No wonder people on here hate you Barno..Youre an idiot!!!!

Posted by: ocskins | September 27, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Is that Malcolm Kelly sitting next to Portis on the bench? Who is that guy?

Posted by: coparker5 | September 27, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Hoffa.......

Posted by: sfava | September 27, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Looking at the fourth photo,it's like those three Rams players are saying..."whoaa, where did he go?

Posted by: kingpenn1 | September 27, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

It's been obvious for a while that Portis's main goal when he runs is to find a nice place to fall down. Usually though he doesn't get past the line, and he can feign a trip... like that end around on 3rd and goal. On this run he got loose and just messed up with his falling down. He probably didn't intend for it to be so obvious.

Posted by: john65001 | September 27, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

ocskins, i might be an idiot but definitely not for my stance on this issue. Portis may have gotten another yard or two had he not slid, and Redskins fans are irate at him for it. Yet these same fans say not one word about McNabb going out of bounds 5 yards away from any defender (and actually slowed down to go out of bounds as if he were out of breath). It's irrational to attack Portis over costing us a yard or two while turning a blind eye to McNabb costing us at least 5 yards (and he still could have gone out of bounds without being touched).

Posted by: Barno1 | September 27, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Okay...not gangsta.

Posted by: impervious99 | September 27, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Who cares if he fell down he was not going to get any more yards with 4 defenders ,that he clearly can not run away from anymore, about to hit him. Older running backs get smarter about taking care of themselves and not taking unessacary hits.Rather a fall then a fumble or injury.

Posted by: smooth72510 | September 27, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smooth72510 | September 27, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smooth72510 | September 27, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smooth72510 | September 27, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smooth72510 | September 27, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Come on y'all, get real! The guy throws himself into defensive linemen like no one I've ever seen in pass protection. It's ridiculous to think that he'd be afraid of contact while carrying the ball.

The running game isn't taking off because the defense is getting into the backfield too quickly. Doesn't matter who's running the ball: if you take one step and you've got a defensive tackle in your face and a linebacker nipping at your heels, you're not going anywhere.

Posted by: nehemia2001 | September 27, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

One play does not a flopper make.

If CP flopped what did the rest of the team do?

Man, these are the Daniel Snyder 'Skins - all pomp and no circumstance. Once again they seems to be successful by signing Shanahan and McNabb.

Did Shanahan make Elway or did Elway make Shanahan?

As for McNabb, there has been more smoke than fire from that pit for years. Philly got value unloading their liability and the Deadskins get another 10-12 games a year from more overpriced overrated beef.

Did anybody really expect this over the over the hill mob to do better than this? Signing Parker and Johnson to compete with Portis? Dream on?

5-11 here we come!

Posted by: BigTrees | September 27, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

He leads the league in running into the backs of his blockers as well. It's just bizarre to watch. He seems to have totally lost his center of gravity. Maybe he's drunk.

Posted by: saqster | September 27, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

He did the same stupid flopping thing when he played last year and for as long as I can remember him in a Skins uniform.

Is he afwaid of getting hurt? Awwww, I fee wewy, wewy bad fow him.

Clinton: You're an NFL running back.

Play like it!

Posted by: dc1020008 | September 27, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

the play in which portis was in the open, he simply fell down. noone tripped him! i'm just as befuddled as many of us as to why? he could've gained at least 7-10 more yards on the run. the play in the backfield after he took the handoff, i could see him possibly slipping or getting tripped but at the same time, he does have a tendency to just lose his balance and all a defender has to do is reach for him. i like portis because he's a willing blocker when someone like stephon heyer fails to passblock effectively. i'd go out on a limb and say he's the best blocking running back in the entire nfl....i'm just not too sure about his heart when he's carrying the rock. it seems to me that he's a bit apprehensive taking a solid shot from a defender for fear of sustaining another concussion. perhaps it's time to shake up the roster and demote portis. there are other backs that are hungry for the opportunity to make plays.

Posted by: charronegro1971 | September 27, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

This has to be one of the dumbest things i have ever heard. Heres a guy with a cast on his wrist and he carrys the ball with two hands not to lose it and trys to make hard cuts and slips. Thats it. For anyone to say he's diving just remember there a pictures of him falling 10 yards all the way to the touchdown so dont act like he cant run or he doesnt want to be hit,check out his blitz pickup every week!!!!

Posted by: daddebig | September 28, 2010 12:52 AM | Report abuse

These posts are hillarious!! Honestly, sitting on the bench - he looks like a dejected KID!!!! He's NOT a #1 RB. Not, Not!

He works harder at running his mouth & maintaining his team of women than he does his game performance. Its sad. he could have run forward....Once touched - then slid..etc. but he just flopped. Obviously Shanahan didn't like it & have been watching. Looks like they' re-thinking their plans - Thats why they bought in Torain & got rid of LJ. You can't have 2 washed up Rb's. They saw CP can't handle being the #1 RB. He doesn't have it. They know he's done too.

Posted by: McleanVa09 | September 28, 2010 2:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: McleanVa09 | September 28, 2010 2:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: McleanVa09 | September 28, 2010 3:13 AM | Report abuse

Portis is a violent blocker. See the first two games--it's on tape. He throws his body around with reckless abandon, so don't give me the "he is afraid of contact" story.

His "slip" cost us the game against the Texans, he would have scored. The "slide down" in the Rams game cost us field position and maybe a TD. Consider this... Did he get a voice in his helmet telling him to slide down in both cases? Is there a light (green/red) kind of thing somehwere in the stadium that tells him when he can finish a play or not, or does he memorize the Vegas line and try to do his part? All questions of this scripted National Football League where a billion dollars in illegal gambling money changes hands every year--and the NFL seeks out "storylines" for TV coverage, where the "other" big money comes in from fat broadcasting contracts.

Posted by: DownTownClown | September 28, 2010 5:40 AM | Report abuse

No sense in CP taking unnecessary hits for no extra yardage and possibly having the ball knocked out. I just hope he isn't going down for some other balance/injury reason. I think Shanny believes CP and Torain are interchangeable and wants them both fresh.

Posted by: artsnsportz | September 28, 2010 6:56 AM | Report abuse

Portis is so bad. Our feature back's best feature is his blocking ability. This is an embarrassment. I love Clinton's toughness, but have never liked his running ability. Horrible vision and his feet. . .I mean it's like he has 2 left feet. The guy falls over more untouched than any RB I can ever remember and I never saw the speed that he claimed to have. To me, he looks slow out there and always has. He may have run a good 40-time but as Devin Hester is football fast, Clinton Portis is not. The Champ trade will always haunt a true Skins fan as Portis has been a distraction in the locker room and a below average running back, especially compared to what he thinks he is. He never was elite. Time to start over. . .and the other bad thing is it's time to blow this whole team up. Portis, Albert, Carlos, D Hall. . .let em all go and lets go young. We need to draft guys that don't run their mouths, have no egos, and are hungry to compete. This year is all about paying for the many Cerrato/Snyder mistakes over the years and I'm afraid it may last a few more years too as it's time to pay for all of our mistakes. Anyone noticing what Desean does every week? Instead we have Devin, a kickoff returner, a guy on IR with bum knees who hasn't done jack, and a tight end in Davis who may be one of the most athletic in the league but is primarily used for blocking because we DIDNT NEED him. I hate what Snyder has done to our franchise. And furthermore I miss RFK. Hard to be a Skins fan right now.

Posted by: machodebaucho | September 28, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse