Cooley: Haynesworth is not isolated

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

Many people -- including me -- seized on that memorable Sunday Night Football image of Albert Haynesworth standing by himself as (some) of his defensive teammates met by the bench to sort of suggest that Haynesworth was a bit isolated from the team. Chris Cooley would like to tell you that's not so.

During his weekly appearance with 106.7's The Junkies, Cooley rejected the entire notion of a rift.

"It's actually kind of made me laugh, because Albert's not isolated among the team," Cooley said. "Albert's isolated by the media among the team. So the idea among the media is that Albert's one, and then we're 52, which is not the case at all. Albert fits into our locker room. I think he's been fine with the players. We all get along with him....I think he's just one of the guys. You know, he can definitely have his momentsl like everyone else, but I think he's one of the guys. He's funny, he has a good sense of humor. Anyone that's been out with him has a good time. So he's a pretty cool guy."

"He has the nastiest scowl I've ever seen, ever," Cooley agreed. "I mean, is he really that mad? Some people kind of squint or scowl when they get tired. Maybe that's just his deal. It's almost funny. I almost want to take a picture and put it up in my locker."

Cooley continued to earn his CBS Radio dollars by providing several entertaining moments, which I'll hereby transcribe, because that's all I ever do.

On the Cowboys celebrating their last-second non-TD: "We saw the hold and then the flag before the ball was thrown. So I mean, you see him catch it, but in your mind you're thinking 'Haha, celebrate, good for you, because it's getting called back, the game's over.' It was great, because I don't know if everyone knew that the penalty was the end of the game, but we had seven or eight of our coaches [celebrate]. Danny Smith was running out on the field with his arms up. When Danny Smith knows something, it's a fact."

On the Shanahan offense: "I love it. I think it's the best system that I've been in. it totally makes sense. Everyone compares it to a language, and you have to understand the terminology and what puts you where, but what I've tried to do and what's helped me a lot is to understand it as a whole. So when I hear a play, I don't just pick out what I do, I try to hear the play as a whole and know what everyone does. So if we're sitting in meetings for example, they'll be calling through plays that are on our script or calling through plays that we ran in film, and I'll just draw everyone. I'll draw the line's responsibility, I'll draw the receivers. It's good for me, because I actually end up fitting in in a lot of places, and you saw that last week, where I'll play in the backfield, I'll play in the slot, a lot of times I could play split out. It's good for me to know."

On the motion penalty against him: "That was BS. I have no clue. That was complete BS."

On post-game wounds: "Every game I have crazy bruises and stuff going on. I have a bunch up my leg. The outside of my left bicep is completely black right now."

On his wife's ad in this week's People Mag: Well, you can just look at it yourself.

By Dan Steinberg  | September 17, 2010; 2:29 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bruce Boudreau's Hadeed Carpet commercial
Next: Redskins-Texans, Best and Worst

Comments

that motion call was BS. on the replay, he was totally set. strange they made that call with how often players do get a jump and it is not called.

they called the hold at the end so the officials did their job on the whole...

Posted by: dcalize | September 17, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

This game could have been 14-10 with Dallas winning at one point thanks to the refs 100% bs late-hit call on Fletcher when the whistle hadn't even been blown and the player was not down AND Fletcher caused a fumble on the play.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 17, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Cooley concluded, "By the way, Haynesworth is a fat turd."

Posted by: Vic1 | September 17, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | September 17, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

i could be wrong, but there was no fumble on that play. besides, the call went in the cowboys favor so i fail to see how it ultimately had any influence on the game.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 17, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 17, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

You are indeed wrong, Fletcher jarred the ball loose and it went straight out of bounds. And I said it "COULD" have resulted in a 14-10 lead for Dallas since it happened on a 3rd down and gave them an automatic 1st down inside the red zone. They ended up not getting the TD and missed the field goal, but it doesn't change the fact that it was a horrendous call and it's not debatable.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 17, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game sitting behind the Redskins bench and Haynesworth stood by himself the ENTIRE game.

Posted by: dsk097 | September 17, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I was also at the game sitting behind the Redskins bench and Haynseworth did NOT stand by himself the entire game...that is an absolutely ridiculous claim and easily disproved by looking at the video tape of the game.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 17, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I was also at the game sitting behind the Redskins bench and Haynesworth was sitting on the toilet, the ENTIRE game.

Posted by: kdjsgreen | September 17, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Barno's back, and still an a$$hat. Now it's really football season!

Posted by: hithere1 | September 18, 2010 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Barno1, are you a cowboys fan or really just obtuse? fletcher DID cause a fumble on the play and if the late hit penalty were not to have been called, it would have been fourth down on the cowboys 13 yard line as opposed to first down on the cowboys 40.

Posted by: sa11231 | September 18, 2010 3:47 AM | Report abuse

"Later, it was pointed out that Haynesworth often looks fairly angry on the sidelines, as seen above."

That's an angry look? You need to get out of Mom's basement more, ya crazy naked mole rat!

Posted by: WorstSeat | September 18, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Chris Cooley Rules! so does his movie Ghosts Don't Exist.

Posted by: aaron19w | September 18, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

it wasnt a question of cooley being set, they said he moved towards the line of scrimmage while the ball was being snapped. no he wasnt totally set he was "bunny hoppin" waiting for the snap and he was NOT moving toward the LOS. the play before that play he did however move toward the LOS so maybe the ref made up for a non call before who knows. alot of you guys only get your info from moronic sports writers looking for ratings and take it as god's word. one thing i know is sport writers BS way to much and blame it on "sources". well those sources is the imagination of a bored sports writer. as soon as the media starts reporting hannesworth is a beast and we need him all you poeple crying about him will do a 180 and love him again. dont make your life revolve around articles, do your own research to get the truth. nuff said.

Posted by: snyper94z28 | September 21, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse