DeAngelo Hall: Redskins should have made a play

(By Jonathan Newton - TWP)

As you've probably heard by now, DeAngelo Hall came strong in Monday's locker room session, saying this is his defense, and that from now on, he's covering the best receiver on the opposing team. "I'm going wherever the [expletive] ball is going," is how Ryan O'Halloran quoted him.

The origins of this declaration were pretty clear on Sunday night, when Hall seemed to think the Redskins should have stopped Andre Johnson on that key touchdown catch. Here's what he said, again courtesy of 106.7 The Fan's amazing audio page.

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

"We just didn't make the plays. The plays were sitting right there for us to make. We didn't make them....The main thing we wanted to stress was just to go out there and make a play. In the fourth quarter, we was up seven, we kept telling the defense man we need to make a play, that's the only way we're gonna win this game, is if we make a play. Like I said, we didn't make a play. We had an opportunity to make a couple, but we didn't make 'em. Can't win like that....

"We can't win playing the kind of defense we played today. Won't win like that. That's why we lost....The offense came out here and played lights-out. Can't ask for anything better than that....To let 'em come back like that, can't win like that. Can't win in this league like that.

"[The game-tying TD] shouldn't have happened. Shouldn't have happened. We had the perfect play call. Like I said, just didn't make the play. Shouldn't have happened. Should have never happened."

So I guess Hall thinks the defense should have made a play, if I'm reading between the lines correctly.

By Dan Steinberg  | September 20, 2010; 12:08 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fred Davis and the blocked field goal
Next: Leonsis: Caps need better discipline, not better defense

Comments

Me'Angelo has on several occasions taking some not so subtle shots at Reed Doughty. He did the same thing last week after a WIN against the cowboys. In both instances, of all the plays he could have talked about after the game, he chose to discuss the plays in which Doughty apparently misplayed a "perfect play call" and gave up a TD.

I have long said Hall is a selfish, arrogant, me-first, player. I think his public comments are far worse for team chemistry than anything Haynesworth or Portis have ever said.

And let's not forget his comments after several long time Redskins were cut from the team this off season: "got rid of some dead weight." What an a--hole comment to make the day these guys lost their jobs.

And let's not forget him attacking his teammates when he got into skirmish on the sidelines in Atlanta, even though those that were in the vicinity did go to bat for him and 2 (Haynesworth and Landry) drew fines from the league for it.

I like the guy's playmaking skills, but he is an overrated cover-corner and he often plays the game as if it is two-hand touch. So he has some nerve constantly calling out his teammates publicly. Keep this stuff in the locker room or don't say anything at all, s---head.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 20, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

First line should have said: Me'Angelo has on several occasions taken some not so subtle shots at Reed Doughty

Posted by: Barno1 | September 20, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

he should take shots at Reed Doughty. Doughty is the worst cover free safety in football. I'd rather have Horton back there than Doughty. The depth chart at FS should read Moore, Horton, Sean Taylor's ghost, Haynesworth, my old decrepit gramma, and Doughty.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 20, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree with Hall. What kind of lame brain cover scheme are the defensive coaches utilizing when you have Reed Doughty covering Andre Johnson? Not only is Johnson the best receiver on the Texans, but probably one of the best receivers in the NFL. There is no way that Doughty covers Johnson 1 on 1 and doesn't get beaten like a drum every time. Free Safety is but one of many positions that Allen and Shanahan will have to upgrade for the Redskins over the next 2 - 3 years... along with Wide Receiver, Offensive Line, Running Back, etc. The Skins are still suffering from the poor player personnel mismanagement of Cerrato and Snyder during their 10 seasons of fantasy football.

Posted by: SkinsKen | September 20, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Hall has taken shots a Reed because Reed sucks. So does Horton.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 20, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

REED DOUGHTY IS A BUM POINT BLANK PERIOD. HOW MANY TIMES ARE WE GOING TO SEE HIM BE ONE STEP TO SLOW ON A PLAY HE IS ALWAYS ALWAYS LATE

Posted by: skins4life5 | September 20, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Funny that you guys are backing the same guy that couldnt even tackle a slow cracker(I am a cracker so I can say it :) qb last year to help us win a game. If DHall is the man, how come the other receiver got 100+ yards too??? Who was Dhall covering all day?

Posted by: cm88 | September 20, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Reed "Dought Me" Doughty does suck. No one will question that. But Hall looked like crap in the Cowboys game. What I can't stand about Hall is how he's always looking at the QB. He seems to think he can read the QB's mind and know exactly where the ball is going. Meanwhile the receiver blows by him for a first down or worse yet a TD. I think he's all about highlight reels and trash talking. Just like a Hokie! Okay, I'll take that one back. I'm still bitter about Saturday.

Posted by: ECUPirate68 | September 20, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Barno1

Who cares..He wants to win..period!! And he can say whatever he want. If Jim H doesn't want to hear then they will talk. Don't think coach is always right....

Posted by: skinsMill | September 20, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

The whole secondary as far as covering is a bunch of bums....Landry and doughty can hit, but neither can cover as safeties. Landry was torched on numerous double moves last year for big touch downs behind him. Rogers catches 1 int in two years, but drops a dozen that hit him in the hands the last two years!

I agree with several posters that Hall plays like its two hand touch; soft.

They All play way to far off the receivers on the line. Every slant is a guaranteed five yards, because they are playing 10 yards off the line; afraid of getting burned down the line for a deep one!

We have to get rid of this entire group this off season and get atleast one quality CB and one quality(S. Taylor like) safety.

We will not win against the passing teams like Indy, Houston if we continue to have these guys back there.

Lastly, shut up until you can prove you can stop someone! Easy to talk trash and throw your team and coach under a bus after the fact...you didn't look like you were running over to the coach and saying "Coach! Put me on Johnson! In fact you were on the other side running around in space when doughty got torched; Buchanan is the one you should be pissed for giving up at the ten and not covering Johnson all the way back with Doughty!

Posted by: wcdun1 | September 20, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Funny how Hall thinks he's now the answer. Having said that, I place a huge part of the blame on that Johnson TD on the coaches. Why in the world was our FS left with man coverage on arguably one of the best WRs in the league? And why was Buchanon the other CB in the play (forget the fact that he gave up on the receiver WAY too soon)? It should have been either Hall or Rogers double covering Johnson with Doughty or whoever, on EVERY pass route, period. That's the trouble with Haslett's so-called "scheme". The CBs must play their zone and the safeties play theirs and that creates major mismatches like we saw with Reed and Johnson. Until and unless Shanny and Haslett make some changes to their "wonderful" (failing) defensive scheme, things like this will continue to happen. And for those that think THE answer is K. Moore, get real. He has yet to show, game in and game out, that he is as great as you all seem to think he is on the message boards. Last year, Landry was the scapegoat-du-jour. This year it seems to be Doughty. All of this scapegoating is totally undeserved and immature. But it's typical of fans who think "if we just make this one change", all of our defensive shortcomings will disappear. The real answer is that the problem is not and has never been ONE player. The problem is the fact that this defensive scheme is not one that this set of players is best equipped to implement and I include in that the entire defense: the D-line, the linebackers and the secondary.

Posted by: teresae878 | September 20, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Several times during the game, there were missed tackles. Doughty had at least 2 of those. God bless him, he's not a starting free safety. I agree with Deangelo, he should be on the best receiver because he is our best corner. They threw away from him the whole day. Wherever Rogers and Doughty were, that's where the ball went. Until Moore gets back, they're gonna struggle on D. Can't help but wonder if Big Al had played if our line would have had a better pass rush...

Posted by: hand_of_doom | September 20, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Doughty's not a bad player, but no way he covers a stud like Johnson 1-on-1 when the game's on the line. The Skins should know that.

Posted by: allknowingguy | September 20, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

hand_of_doom: Hate to tell you, but getting Moore back isn't going to stop the struggles on defense. Was Doughty responsible for all 500+ yds of the Texan's offense? Was Doughty responsible for all of the successful running plays that both Dallas and the Texans were able to do? Was Doughty responsible for the front 3 getting little to no consistent pressure and for the linebackers being unable to stop the run and passes over the middle? Was Doughty also responsible for all 11 catches made by Walter? I also saw many pass plays where Rogers was beat, hands down. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the self-same D. Hall who was burnt on what looked like the winning TD in the Dallas game, only to be saved by the holding call? Yep, sure was. D. Hall has absolutely no business mouthing off against any of his teammates. He's not exactly a Darrell Green out there at CB. And he's a short guy. What makes him, or anyone else, think HE would have out-jumped A. Johnson? This whole thing is a joke - blame 1 or 2 players for lapses that are defense-wide. If it makes you feel better as a fan, go right ahead. But it won't solve the defense's problems. The only part of his comments that are valid are the indirect criticisms of this coaching scheme. It is NOT working - not when your D allows 900+ yds. in 2 games!! But, let's continue to lay the entire 900 yds. gained in Doughty's lap. (Last year we did the same to Landry, so why not Doughty this year?) And let's all convince ourselves that K. Moore will be Superman and return to save the day. If you believe that, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Posted by: teresae878 | September 20, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Poopy, you and I agree on Reed Doughty sucking, but what I am saying is D'Angelo has a long history of calling out his teammates publicly and this is not good for the team. Most of you criticized Portis for going to the coaches last year and telling them Sellers should be benched. Yet you are giving D'Angelo a pass for something far worse: taking it public.

Shanahan needs to get control of D'Angelo when it comes to his comments to reporters or it's only going to get worse.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 20, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

allknowingguy: I agree with you. Which begs the question - why did the coaches allow this to happen? What kind of idiotic pass coverage schemes are we running that sets up a FS to cover, by himself, probably the best WR in the league, with the game on the line? Or was it simply a lapsed assignment by Buchanon? For that matter, why was Buchanon the CB covering on that play instead of Hall or Rogers? Johnson should have been double-teamed on every, single passing play. Every one. That is why I have real concerns about the defensive scheme and the coaching. Sticking to something (the 3-4 and zone coverage)simply because you like it as a coach, while ignoring the fact that you don't have the players to run it, is plain stupid and will lead to even more defensive fiascos. MAYBE in 2 or 3 years (if we draft well and trade well), Shanny will have the players to implement a 3-4. But why force it on the team now, without the proper personnel? Sheer coaching arrogance will lose you games every time.

Posted by: teresae878 | September 20, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I didn't get a view of the whole field on that play, only the zoomed in broadcast coverage. But it looked to me like the Skins were in some kind of cover 2 with most of the corners & backs probably keeping a zone around the first down line -- don't forget this was a fourth down play.

Watching the replay you can see Buchanon chasing Andre J. for several yards until Doughty takes over once he reaches the end zone. At that point Buchanon turns around and sees the ball coming, but by then it's too late.

With 20/20 hindsight I'd say you gotta at least put Hall or a speedy CB in man on Andre Johnson in that situation which would have meant double coverage in Doughty's (or whoever's) zone. The Texans read the coverage well and put their stud receiver into the weakest point of the field.

Posted by: smshadowman | September 20, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Patience people. This is a new defense and it will take time for the defense to get familier with it. Having said that, Doughty is a great guy but a clown on the field. Can't tackle or cover.

Posted by: jyshim | September 20, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

First of all.... I miss Sean Taylor. Especially when I see Landry's big hits, followed by poor coverage.

Secondly, let's give Reed some credit. He almost got a pick if it wasn't for Landry jumping in and knocking the ball out/injuring him.

Doughty had good position on Johnson, and there is no way that 5'9 Hall would have done any better.

Also, why did the help man bail out on that play? You could see 2 people running with Johnson and then one of them turns and runs back, while Reed is left to work on arguably the best wide out in the NFL.

Posted by: pecdec8705 | September 20, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

pecdec8705: You nailed it. No way should Reed have been left 1 on 1 with Johnson. And why was Buchanon the cover CB on this play? Should have been Hall or Rogers. I don't blame the players on this so much as the scheme and the coaches and that's where I do agree with Halls' comments. Doughty gave it his best and was outmanned by a more atheletic player and probably the best WR in the game. 9 times of out 10, Johnson will out jump Doughty or Hall or Buchanon or Rogers if it is a one-on-one play. So why can't the coaches see that too? That's why you double team Johnson on EVERY play, but most especially with the game on the line, near the end zone and 4th down. Man coverage in this instance, with Buchanon passing off Johnson to Doughty, was doomed to fail and blame for that can be laid at the coaches feet. And Buchanon did pull up way too early on his coverage.

Posted by: teresae878 | September 20, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

All I can say is, I really hope the Skins and Texans meet in the playoffs. Then Andre Johnson can draw one interference penalty after another on one bigmouth wearing number 23.

Posted by: kls1 | September 20, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

kls1: LOL. You are probably right. I find that often, the one with the biggest mouth, is the one with the most to hide concerning his/her own shortcomings. If Hall has issues with this defense (and he clearly does), deal with it in private. Not while mouthing off to a reporter. That shows no class whatsoever and no loyalty to his own teammates. Wait, I just described D. Hall to a "tee", didn't I?
It would be interesting to see how many catches Johnson would have made had Hall been forced to cover him 1 on 1 the entire game. My guess is that Johnson would have made Hall look utterly inept. He would have out-jumped him too.
Right now, there's NO ONE on this defense who is in any position to criticize anyone else. All of them are making mistakes, right and left, Hall included. Again, I think it's mostly due to forcing round pegs into square holes. But we are stuck with this scheme, thanks to Shanny and Haslett. However, they (the coaches) are paid big bucks to make it work and, so far, the end result is not pretty.

Posted by: teresae878 | September 20, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

@teresae878
~~
On your post about K.Moore-Agreed.

Kareem Moore will be a 1st year starter at free-safety when he gets on the field, so there are no guarantees that he would have done better yesterday or in the future.

Fans who believe otherwise are entitled to their opinions, but I think they're setting themselves up for a let-down, Moore is going to be as green as grass when he gets in there, in fact, at 5'10 he's at least 3 inches shorter than Doughty at 6'1, so the same play could have happened with Moore playing as well.

That touchdown was dramatic,true, but F.Davis whiffing on that field goal block was the real killer.

We would've been up 3 and needing only to recover an onside kick after the Johnson score.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | September 20, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

You know, we were all fans of Sean Taylor, but let's have some perspective.

Sean Taylor wasn't invincible, we gave up bombs and big-plays when he was on the field also.

I think I'm on the record for stating how much I dislike Doughty,but I'm fair.

Phillip Buchanon passed A.Johnson off mindlessly to him, from what I saw there was no player coming across the field to the flat that Buchanon was looking at and if they were-so what.

Buchanon should have played the guy in the endzone first and worried about the flat later.

I remember going back and forth with Scampbell and some poster named MimiAnsari about how much I dislike both Doughty and P.Daniels, but I have to give Doughty a reprieve on this one, Phillip Buchanon messed up.

This pass was a Hail Mary and usually the receivers on Hail Marys are surrounded by as many defenders as possible.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | September 20, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

teresae878...
"And, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the self-same D. Hall who was burnt on what looked like the winning TD in the Dallas game, only to be saved by the holding call? Yep, sure was."

WRONG. Hall was covering Bryant. Try again.

Posted by: emperorbob21 | September 20, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

What kind of defense plans to have a safety on one of the best receivers in the NFL mutiple times in a game. Safeties on RBs and TEs. Corners cover All Pro Wideouts. If the Skins zone coverage calls for safeties on WRs one on one, they had better switch to man on man.

Posted by: golfwise | September 20, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kls1 | September 20, 2010 5:28 PM |
-----------

Uh, you do realize that the Skins and Texans are in different conferences and wouldn't even be able to meet each other until the Super Bowl.

Of course, if you know that you would've used 'Super Bowl' instead of 'playoffs.'

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 20, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

THIS WAS A COACHING BLUNDER!!!!! Andre Johnson is a beast, end of story, for the coach's to hang Reed Doughty out like that on the best wideout in the NFL was as stupid a play call as i've seen in a long time if this is any indication of Jim Haslet's prowess as defensive coordinator then we are in for a long season.

Posted by: dargregmag | September 20, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | September 20, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

I love the fact that Hall wants to take the top receiver. That's the way it should be. Also, he mentioned that Buchanan should have not released AJ so early and I had said as much yesterday also. It's not only on Doughty but Buchanan for "chickening out". The difference between Hall and Buchanan is that Hall would have gone to war with AJ whereas Buchanan was afraid to engage in battle for fear of failing and being the escape goat. All of this to say that I will take Hall on anyone's top receiver anytime.

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | September 21, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

re my post about Skins meeting AFC Texans in playoffs and Andre Johnson crushing DeAngelo, should have been Super Bowl.

Posted by: kls1 | September 21, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I see correction already there, and I suppose if it was a rematch in the Super Bowl, that would be a story line, Andre against big talker DeAngelo. Too bad, I'd have to root for DeAngelo no matter what.

Posted by: kls1 | September 21, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Can someone teach DeAngelo to speak English!

Posted by: tomo2 | September 21, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse