Haynesworth says there are "zero distractions"

(By Jonathan Newton - TWP)

Far as I can remember, the last time Albert Haynesworth made a lengthy radio appearance was in March, when he went on SIRIUS NFL Radio and said, among other things, "I don't think I'm built to be a nose tackle, to be honest." As brief as Haynesworth's locker room sessions with the media often are, he's usually eminently quotable when left to talk, but it just hasn't happened much.

Well, that changed on Saturday afternoon, when 106.7 The Fan's Kevin & Rock scored a 15-minute interview with Haynesworth not long after the Redskins' team plane landed in St. Louis. Rick Maese will have a news story on this, but among the highlights were the inevitable question about whether he's been a distraction in this locker room.

(And much credit to Kevin Shafer and Rocky Parrish and their producer, Harrison Weinhold, for landing the second-biggest get in D.C. sports. First is Gilbert Arenas, obviously.)

Anyhow, about that locker room....

"There is zero, zero distractions or animosity or anything in the locker room," Haynesworth said. "I mean, we're a team, we're family, we're brothers. We're always joking, always acting crazy and all that stuff. I mean, there's nothing from the locker room. Everything is outside. I can say that and put my hand on the Bible and everything. I promise you. There is nothing like that happening in the locker room. I mean, it's a perfect locker room. I mean, right up to the packages and stuff."

(That last line was a joke about Clinton Portis. And not a bad one, either.)

Haynesworth was also asked -- for the first time, I believe -- about the much-discussed shot from the Cowboys game of him by himself, looking unhappy, while many defensive teammates met behind him on the bench.

"Well, they don't have a camera on me all the time, but my face is always like that during the game," he said. "You can go back to when I was back in Tennessee with the Titans, I never sat down, never went to the [in-game] meetings, it was always my coach came up to find me, because I'm at a point in the game, I'm so focused I don't want to be 'coached' right there. Tell me if we've got a change [in strategy], or tell me if I bust something, but don't 'coach' me. You've got all week to coach me, don't wait for Sunday to start coaching me, so I've never sat down and been in meetings or been on that little sideline bench thing or whatever. That's just who I am and things I've done since I can remember."

He said mostly the right things about Mike Shanahan, saying that things have been better between the two of them recently, but he also didn't back down when asked about the perception of him being unwilling to switch positions.

"I guess in this world we don't have a lot of people with backbones," he said. "Just because somebody pay you money don't mean they'll make you do whatever they want. I mean, that means everything is for sale. I mean, I'm not for sale. Yeah, I signed the contract and got paid a lot of money, but just because, that don't mean I'm for sale or a slave or whatever. We agreed upon coming to that [contract] that I'd play defensive tackle and not nose guard and all that other stuff. I was signing with a 4-3 team. It was a lot of promises and stuff like that, but now, it's been better, dealing with Haslett, and we run a lot of 4-3 stuff and you'll see that tomorrow."

Also:

Haynesworth on the fame: "I'm just normal. I don't really like the spotlight, to be honest. I like just to play football and be normal, be a guy that can go to Walmart and just hang out or just be a normal guy. That's what I like. I don't like the fame or whatever notoriety that comes with this job, but I do love the game, love to play it."

Haynesworth on buying flatscreens for Redskins employees last year: "The ladies that work for us and stuff, they do a lot for us, I got them TVs....The equipment room guys and the training room guys, guys that definitely help us out. Every year, every team I've been on, they always got money from guys, or a few hundred dollars, and everybody put that in a pot and they would split it and divide it and give it to them. Well, instead of just giving that,I decided just to go and do TVs or something like that, and this year too I'll do something else, something else cool that I'll give em."

Haynesworth on the future: " I mean, I'm just here. I can't predict what can happen in the future, but right now, I'm just trying to get better and help this team win and definitely give my best and get back up to being the most dominant defensive tackle in the game."

By Dan Steinberg  | September 25, 2010; 6:57 PM ET
Categories:  Media, Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hard Hits Live webcast: LaVar Arrington on the Redskins
Next: Redskins-Rams, Best and Worst

Comments

My name says it all

Posted by: pharrrrtt | September 25, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

My name says it all

Posted by: pharrrrtt | September 25, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Is there a link where I can listen to the interview?

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | September 25, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Snyder and Cerrato had to have known what they getting in AH.

All they had to do was talk to one or two people and read the "buyer beware" sticker that was surely staring them in the face.

Shanahan needs to just let the man play. It doesn't really matter at what position, at this point.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 25, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 25, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

This quote says everything we need to know about Haynesworth and why he is a coach's nightmare

He has to be dumb as rocks to believe that in-game coaching isn't beneficial for him. That is when coaching has the most relevance.

Posted by: Thundershock | September 26, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

"He has to be dumb as rocks to believe that in-game coaching isn't beneficial for him. That is when coaching has the most relevance"

Hard to say that when he's been the most dominant defensive tackle in the game.He's a monster when his heads where it needs to be.Lack of in game coaching hasn't really stopped him from being successful. From this article it looks like things are smoothing over and he'll finally be the old Haynesworth. Not only will we stop the run but we'll get to the QB a lot more. I feel bad for Sam...

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | September 26, 2010 1:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | September 26, 2010 1:12 AM | Report abuse

i guess gilbert arenas being the number one get is not so obvious steiny. if it is why did you have to state it?

Posted by: slim4 | September 26, 2010 3:11 AM | Report abuse

they should have never switched base set to 3-4. hopefully he will get a chance to show his versatility. we have to maintain the defensive line of scrimmage and contain qb's from escaping and avoiding rush. he can do that! put him in the game!!!!

Posted by: noodlez | September 26, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

All one needs to know about Haynesworth is that he picked the "Kevin and Rock Show", which is by far the WORST sportstalk show in town, for his coming out party.

Posted by: dcsportsdude | September 26, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

@Dude: I think that is because Haynesworth rightly thought that those two nitwits didn't have the capacity to come up with challenging questions. You are right. That show is unlistenable.

Posted by: poguesmahone | September 26, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Is the link to listen to the interview.

One thing that I lkearned from the interview is that the media, and this blog by the way, don't mention that when Haynesworth wasn't listening to the defensive coaches on the sideline;

THAT WAS A MEETING WITH THE LINEBACKERS ABD DEFENSIVE BACKS!

The media has and continues to
BLOW A GREAT DEAL OF THIS SITUATION OUT OF PROPORTION!

Having said that;

HAYNESWORTH STILL SOUNDS LIKE AN IDIOT!

Posted by: whatyoutalkinboutman | September 26, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Albert is just not a good person.

Posted by: sjp879 | September 26, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

I really don't care wether he's a good person or not(though it might help), I just want him to be a good football player.

We don't have to live under the same roof with this guy.

Posted by: 72Redskins | September 26, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Let the man play and do his talking on the field. Shanny's continuing tit for tat is helping no one, and is not improving his own chances of being back next year. Don't forget, a coach's job is to manage his players, and quite a few have done just fine in that department with Haynesworth. How's that working out for you, Shanny? A bad holding call away from 0-2?

Posted by: Nemo24601 | September 26, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nemo24601 | September 26, 2010 9:40 AM |

you've got to be kidding me nemo. first, shanahan WILL be back next year regardless of how he handles AH. This self entitled pos AH will be the first one out of here next year, COOK IT !

Posted by: hessone | September 26, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Just heard part of the replay on Parker and Parker and context wise, his comments weren't outlandish as opposed to fat Chris Berman highlighting the one 'slave' comment just now on SportsCenter.

Athletes should just not grant interviews; won't matter anyway cause the 'sports journalists' will write/report whatever however...

Posted by: kahlua87 | September 26, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

"We agreed upon coming to that (contract) that I'd play defensive tackle and not nose guard and all that other stuff. I was signing with a 4-3 team," he continued. "It was a lot of promises and stuff like that.

Fat Albert, like you said, you AGREED to that contract and you took the money. If you do not want to play in a 3-4 scheme, then don't take the money. You are taking the money and not doing what you are being asked to do. That is the real point here. It's no problem that you do not want to play in the 3-4. But then do not take the money. It's very simple. But as soon as you cashed your paycheck at the start of the OTA's, you were accepting a responsibility to do what the Redskins asked you to do. If you said you would not play in the 3-4 and did not accept the paycheck, than I have no problem with you standing up for what you believe in. But it is not standing up for yourself if you take money from your employer, a lot of money, and then say you do not want to play in a 3-4.

Posted by: cbage5 | September 26, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cbage5 | September 26, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Ok how come his buying TVs for the front office people didn't make as much news as his not participating in a meeting of linebackers and DBs? Albert has issues but like everything in the news these days, it's not enough to just report things as they see fit, the press need an angle. So that's why they show Albert standing with his game face on during a game and wonder why he's not in a meeting...without finding out what the meeting was about.

And the fact that even Redskins Insider keeps perpetuating that myth shows everybody has an agenda.

Posted by: tundey | September 26, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

"Just because somebody pay you money don't mean they'll make you do whatever they want."

I'm pretty sure that's how it works, actually. When they pay you to play football, they can make you play football if they want.

Posted by: ThisGuy | September 26, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

" Yeah, I signed the contract and got paid a lot of money, but just because, that don't mean I'm for sale or a slave or whatever."

True... slaves don't get paid $41 million.

Posted by: Grooven | September 26, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

True... slaves don't get paid $41 million.

Posted by: Grooven | September 26, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse