LaRon Landry and Meat and Potatoes

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

Last thing about LaRon Landry for the week, I promise. If you follow Landry on Twitter, you've probably seen him make frequent use of the phrase "Meat and Potatoes" this season. His defensive teammates have heard it, too, and they don't always know what it means.

"I don't know where he got from them, I don't know if it's a song or something," Carlos Rogers told me. "I just say it, just because that's what he wants to break down [huddles with], Meat and Potatoes. I don't really know what it means, you've got to ask him."

"Meat and Potatoes, you've got to get it," Brian Orakpo said. "It's a grind every day, that's what he'll tell you all the time."

"That's his thing, Meat and Potatoes," Phillip Buchanan said. "I haven't really figured it out yet. I guess maybe he likes to eat Meat and Potatoes? I don't know what it is. Every time we get a chance to break something down, he always says 1, 2, 3, Meat and Potatoes! And I'm like Meat and Potatoes? Ok, Meat and Potatoes. I have never heard that before."

So I asked Landry to explain the origins, and he helped me out.

"It's something that we always say at home, me and the fellas, and my cousin," he said. "We always say Meat and Potatoes. It's a little slang, New Orleans slang."

And what does it mean?

"Meat and Potatoes, it's a full-course meal, so it's bulky," Landry explained. "A lot of protein, a lot of carbohydrates, the bulk of everything. It's a big deal, it's the real deal. So say we're about to get into the Meat and Potatoes of the game, the intense part of the game, we need to [step] up. So at the end, we break, Meat and Potatoes on three, let's get it."

By Dan Steinberg  | September 23, 2010; 10:19 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Damien Cox: "I have nothing against Ted Leonsis"
Next: The Caps talk about their HBO special

Comments

I say "meat and potatoes" too, as a colloquialism. I use to refer to something or someone blue collar, sort of like "salt of the earth". But it also has connotations of "bread and butter", or something that forms the backbone of something else. If that makes any sense. I have a tougher time than Landry explaining it.

Posted by: Langway4Eva | September 23, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

chopped liver and onions

Posted by: pearlbullets | September 23, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Well they were mashed potatoes late in the game last week... the meat was kinda soft too, easy to stick a fork in it.

Posted by: prokaryote | September 23, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know if the skins are wearing burgundy or gold pants Sunday?

Posted by: alex35332 | September 23, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I was more used to hearing "beans and rice" then "meat n' potatos". But, I guess either will work - just all where you're at in the bayou.

Posted by: MDL7 | September 23, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

If Landry keeps up the current level of play, how long til there are Meat & Potatoes shirts spotted at FedEx?

Posted by: jpfterps | September 23, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if the skins are wearing burgundy or gold pants Sunday?

You mean "yellow pants." It be nice if they'd change 'em to gold.

Posted by: richs91 | September 23, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

How about "Franks and Beans" and not like they used on There's Something About Mary either though funny it doen't get to the nitty gritty. Hey they can use that also "Nitty Gritty" on 3

Posted by: Hackersk | September 23, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

"Have you seen my baseball?" on three..

Posted by: pgugino | September 23, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Because we're going on the road the Redskins will be wearing their white jerseys and burgundy pants.

Posted by: Bbman73 | September 23, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

If they play like they did on Sunday, the only thing you'll hear is "we got ourselves a bleeder!"

Posted by: ECUPirate68 | September 23, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

franks and beans

Posted by: sa11231 | September 23, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

On count of three ..Portabella Mushrooms and Mozeralla Cheese.. OK not 3 may be 6?

Posted by: KarK | September 23, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

All this talk about food is makin me hungry...just keep bringing it every Sunday "Dirty 30"!!!..R.I.P #21..gone but never forgotten..Lets Get it SKINS!!!

Posted by: dspower33 | September 23, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

When Landry is saying "Meat and Potatoes," he's obviously talking about his man-junk. He's just backing up his boy Portis, with all the comments about that Jets reporter.

Time to go worth with my meat and potatoes.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 23, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse