LaRon Landry explains his celebrations

On each of the first three Dallas snaps Sunday night, LaRon Landry was in on the tackle. And after each of those plays -- which went for 15, 7 and 4 yards -- Landry seemed to celebrate.

I think many fans are all about the celebrations following big defensive stops, like when London Fletcher threw back Tashard Choice for a three-yard loss late in the game, and then high-stepped his way off the field. I think many fans think it odd when Landry seems to celebrate a tackle after a six-yard rushing gain on first down.

But maybe it's so ingrained in our heads that he does this that we see it even when it doesn't happen. I just watched all 17 of Landry's tackles Sunday night. After eight of them, he either strutted, posed, or exchanged obvious words with the tackled player. After one of them, he made like some sort of classical statue, seen above. And after eight of them, he appeared to do nothing except walk back to the huddle.

Anyhow, after the game I asked Landry about his method of celebration.

"Man, I don't know, man," he said. "Once I'm in the game and my enthusiasm and adrenaline rushing, I just let it flow. I don't know what I do, I don't know my celebrations. I'm engulfed in the game."

Regardless, his post-play vocal stylings are pretty obvious to everyone on the field. Like, I asked Rocky McIntosh what he thought of Landry's performance.

"Obviously he's behind me," McIntosh said, explaining that he didn't always see Landry's highlights. "[But] I heard him. I definitely heard him."

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 13, 2010; 1:42 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins-Cowboys sets Sunday Night ratings record
Next: Anthony Armstrong screams at the Dallas bench

Comments

Lack of celebrating after defensive stops has probably cost London Fletcher 4 or 5 trips to the Pro Bowl. Sadly, I'm being serious. The guys who just let their play speak for itself and don't seek attention are often snubbed. Life = not fair

Keep on celebrating after every other play (and keep tackling 17 players a game) and Landry will be a pro bowler soon enough.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 13, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

He had a great game, and looked like a complete doofus in doing so.

Posted by: riggoryan | September 13, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

F the Pro Bowl, Barno. And F Landry's posturing/jawing after every [other] tackle...because soon enough he'll get flagged for 15 yards for taunting at the worst possible time for the team.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 13, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully it's intimidating. Landry wants to be constantly in every running back and receiver's head, and let them know that he's going to be right there all night, and he won't back down. Other players celebrate to preen for the fans, but I really think Landry does it just to get in the other guys' heads.

Posted by: crashinghero | September 13, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

At first I thought his jawing and posing was immature and, well, asinine. Talking trash has never been my thing. But at the end of the day, I just want him to go out and make plays, which he did all of last night. If he gets in the head of opposing RBs and receivers, that's a bonus. He's definitely an intimidating force out there, and, with all respect to Fletcher and Orakpo, by the end of the season I think he'll grow into the tone setter for this defense. Now if we could only pair him with a real ballhawking FS...

Posted by: John_Keats | September 13, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure Landry celebrated more in that one game than Monte Coleman did in sixteen seasons.

Posted by: EdTheRed | September 13, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

man those pants are sweet

Posted by: goose33 | September 13, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

The worst is when LaRon celebrated a tackle that came at the end of a run that resulted in a 1st down. How can you celebrate that? I think that's the one in the second picture. Ludicrous.

Posted by: kjhealey | September 13, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he's just excited they're not throwing deep on him.

Posted by: Scoonie97 | September 13, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

We go the answer from Landry himself. He said he pumped up and the adrenaline is flowwing so he doesn't even realize it.

That also tells you that he plays out of control and will likely be burned yet again on many double moves. I see it coming. The whole team is normally pumped up and out of control in the first quarter. It shows in their play.

But someone please tell Landry that when you celebrate while the team is making first downs on you - you look like an idiot.

I could see it if he pick 3 passes off, then celebrated periodically after hits, but he hasn't done JACK but come dangerously close to getting penalties and hurting the team.

Why can't the coaches see this and tell him to calm his a down and play under control?

Posted by: keedrow | September 13, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Landry celebrating isnt a big deal. If we get penalized for it then it is a problem. So far though it hasnt happened. If its what he needs to do to get his head in the game then so be it.

As for him getting burned, he was playing out of position then. He's a great strong safety..not such a good free safety. Could you imagine if we still had Sean at FS (rip) and him at SS at this age? Opposing receivers would be scared to go on the field regardless of which side.

Posted by: corrUPTkingpin07 | September 13, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Landry's a classless turd. I wonder what he would have thought if all those receivers that burned him last year started posturing towards him. A player doesnt have to be classless but he'll never learn and you know he's gong to get his...Is he still wearing those gay t-shirts on the field before games?

Posted by: semilost44 | September 13, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

LaRon Landry is a clown. But why should I insult clowns?

Posted by: ElGordo9 | September 13, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Turd, clown, doofus? Look at those arms. You don't want that guy standing over you.

Scary. Dude. I'm glad the team has a coach that knows how to use him again.

Posted by: WorstSeat | September 14, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse