Never Been to Dallas Syndrome

This is a few days late, but Chris Paul on Never Been to Dallas Syndrome is worth two minutes of your time.

(Via @DCVince)

By Dan Steinberg  | September 30, 2010; 3:24 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McNabb-Vick odds
Next: Bruce Boudreau's new Mercedes ads

Comments

Another bad attempt at humor by the tragically unfunny Chris Paul.

Why do Skins fans get so worked up about Dallas fans from DC. Skins fans around the more worked up about this issue than any other fanbase around the league. Who cares? Do Skins fans not accept Redskin fans who are from outside of Washington? I know several non-DC Metro Skins fans. Should they all select teams closer to their home city?

- A Washingtonian Dallas Cowboys fan

Posted by: Solnoir | September 30, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I have been saying this for years. Didnt get enough attention at home. Take my offer of a one way ticket to all Dallas fans, they have your job in Dallas,so you can root for the home team. Peace

Posted by: karl_grebe | September 30, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

@Solnoir

We care! We do not accept you! And yes, if you've never been to the teams home city then I've got a problem with you rooting for them.

Posted by: Gooner | September 30, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

I've never understood why anybody cares when someone roots for a team outside their home city, whatever their reason (or l lack thereof). Last I checked, we're all free to be fans of any team we want!

And I guess you'll have to count me as one of Chris Paul's alleged 1% of Cowboys fans in the area who HAVE been to Dallas, traveled there to see the team, traveled to Carolina to see them...headed there in November to see them again.

It's a funny video, though.

Posted by: nafspac | September 30, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

For those of you who "don't understand", it's simple. Dallas is the Redskins biggest rival! Of course Skins fans are going to give Dallas fans grief. Just like Terp fans give Dukies grief, just like Caps fans give Penguins fans grief. It's a part of sports to love one team and loath others.

If you lived in Dallas, you'd see Cowboy fans giving local Skins fans grief all the time. Heck, even in Tuscan, wearing a Skins jersey will get you constantly harassed by Dallas fans. But seriously, move to Dallas.

You have every right to pick any team you want to root for when you start following a sport, but if you don't pick the home team, you won't get any respect from me or millions of others.

Posted by: MillBurray | September 30, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Solnoir, not surprisingly, you've missed the point. Redskin fans "getting worked up" has little to do with it. Cowboy fans sucking an ass pipe on the other hand has everything to do with it.

Posted by: mack1 | September 30, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Ha Ha. I have been on the losing side of a sports rivalry (Caps-Pens) and trust me Redskins fans spend a lot more time worrying about Cowboys fans then Cowboys fans care about the Redskins or its fans.

Hell out where I live there are more Steelers fans than Redskins fans. Just to fan the jealousy you all seem to be so caught up in I can tell you I am raising three more Cowboys fans that were born and raised in DC and never been to Dallas. I thought about letting them be Redskins fans but I just love them too much to watch them suffer through that kind of pain.

Posted by: AshburnCowboysFan | September 30, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Hi, my is Habib, and I grew up in Antarctica, and I root for the Portland Trail Blazers.

I sound just like a Dallas fan.

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | September 30, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Is that bus stopping in Pittsburgh?

Posted by: jhorstma | October 1, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: AshburnCowboysFan

Why do you like the CAPS and not the DALLAS STARS? All Dallas fans from here who have never been to Dallas jumped on the Staubach and Aikman bandwagon. When you choose a team outside of your home team it shows a lack of loyalty. You chose a team strictly because they were good and for no other reason. You're probably a decent person, but as a sports fan i have no respect for you.

Posted by: Wizbullets88 | October 1, 2010 4:19 AM | Report abuse

If you're a male who grew up in these parts and you chose the Cowboys, there is a 90% chance that it had nothing to do with football. You were getting picked on in school (and naturally, most everyone else was for the home team). But it had to be that way; you were an annoying kid and you brought it upon yourself. Eventually, you decided that the only thing to do was to join up with a bunch of other wholly unlikable people, and this alliance gave you the courage to let your feelings out by being even more obnoxious all the time. It's great that you all finally found a place where you belong. I'm happy for you.

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | October 1, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

JohnnyBlades nails this one (as does Chris Paul).

Posted by: Lindemann777 | October 1, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

The Cowboy fans in this area are by far the worse type of fans in any sport. A lot of the ones who strated rooting for the Cowboys in like 1994 are the ones I really like. Funny you started rooting for a team that just won the Super Bowl.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | October 1, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

So funny and so true. Some days i feel like they're more dallass fans in this area then skins fans. Not a day goes by that I don't see a dallass emblem or bumper sticker on at least 2 cars whenever I'm on the road. Most of the dallass fans i know have never been to Texas and aren't even real fans of football in general. Got no problem with the dallas natives, but everyone else is just a bunch of bandwagon jock-riders.
HTTR!

Posted by: numonik21 | October 1, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Very funny and on the mark. Who becomes a fan of a team in a city they have never been to? It's a lame affectation.

Dallas fans are so weak.

@Solnoir & Friends: Take your punk ass to Dallas. LOL!

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | October 1, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

@JohnnyBlades,

I couldn't have said it better myself. Cowboys fans from the DC area don't get it, have never gotten it, and never will get it. They became Cowboys fans BECAUSE the Cowboys were the local team's rival.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 1, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Although this video is only another rivalry jab at an opposing team's fans (and therefore shouldn't be taken personally, but with a sense of humor) it still oversimplifies the reasons for choosing a sports team. A person becomes a sports fan for many other reasons besides being a hometown resident. They may have chosen the team based on their respect for a particular athlete or coach. They may have chosen to support a team due to their family's loyalties. They may feel an affinity for another town or state that they don't feel for their current residence. Whatever the reason, loyalty is not decided by why or how a team is chosen, it is decided by the hope and support held for one's team, regardless of successes and failures.

Posted by: JessieJenks | October 2, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse